+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 21 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

President of the ZRXOA

AV80Rís 1980 Ford Pinto

Picked up this 1980 Ford Pinto Wagon yesterday for a song. 88k miles and I got it to run for awhile by pouring some gas down the carb and using jumper cables.

My dad had a bright yellow 1979 hatchback with a 4 speed manual when I was 5 years old, so my plan is to fix it up and let him drive it around for fun.

The elderly couple that owns it had two. A Dark Pine Metallic 1977 and this Bright Yellow 1980.

I chose the bright yellow 1980 because the color combo of yellow with black interior was more attractive to me than the green on beige/tan. Also even though the green one was much cleaner, it had 103k miles.

The yellow one was taken by their grandson about a year ago up to Lake Tahoe and left there, so the engine compartment is full of pine needles. The kid got mixed up in some unfortunate drug stuff and ended up murdered (throat sliced). Oof

I looked the car over looking for dope or money, but nothing was found.

Itís got AC, the original Motorola AM/FM/8 track Cassette, and also the exterior decor group which includes some chrome and fancy wire hub cabs.

Here is how it was found at their warehouse. The original CA blue plates are gone, and they are mailing me the title next week. Smog is all on me, so wish me luck.

Nothing major underhood. Iím sure it needs all the regular stuff that a 40 year old car needs.

Interior is dirty and full of cobwebs but should clean up well.

Headliner is mint!

The 6N color code is the bright yellow paint, but I donít know what the rest means.

Body is straight except for this dent on the left fender...

A few holes above the left rear tail light. Who knows what those were put there for.

And a dent on the right rear quarter

The faux wood grain spoiler on the trunk is awesome!

Leaking from the pinion

Steering rack boot is completely loose on the left side

Tires are way shot and mismatched.

Gas cap key is lost so Iíll have to pick the lock to remove it.

This thing under the dash sounds fancy

The infamous exploding rear mounted fuel tank.

The cargo area is huge with the rear seats folded down

This thing with a 2.3L has less HP (88 HP) and a lower top speed (96 MPH) than my 2.1L Vanagon!

How I wish it was a Wagon with the cruising package and porthole window!

We left it on the trailer on the airport ramp yesterday.

Today Iíll have it dropped off at my hangar or my house.

If itís at my house itíll have to go in the garage because itís against the law to work on any vehicle in your driveway or the street in my town. Iíll most likely leave it at the hangar so my neighbors donít start freaking out with a Vanagon and Pinto our front.

At least I donít have the Fiero anymore. I think those have to be the 3 most notorious vehicles for catching on fire!
    Last edited by AV80R; 04-03-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Re: AV80Rís 1980 Ford Pinto ďShaggin WagonĒ

That thing is a real time machine, I am assuming we get a new build thread to watch
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

President of the ZRXOA

Unless a showstopper pops up that I canít handle, the plan is to get it licensed and back on the road!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Licensed to Mod

That is awesome. Wow, does that bring back memories. I learned to drive in one of these. My mom had a yellow pinto wagon from the mid 70s. If I recall it didn't have the roof rack or chrome fender trim. It had an automatic transmission...which made it even more gutless.

Al

Weirdly Peculiar

Awesome Arash! Brings back memories of the main mechanic at the Honda shop and his Vega. Original engine didn't last so he swapped a 300 HP 350 small block in it. On our first ride to lunch he nailed it from the light and the rear window popped out from the torque twisting the body! Fun days! Two black strips and shattered glass in the intersection...

Not to rain on your parade,,,, "I got it to run for awhile by pouring some gas down the carb and using jumper cables." This is exactly how I spent 3 weeks in a burn ward and a year healing the deep second degree burns at 16 years old. The mixture leaned out, a huge backfire \ fireball ensued when startled by the backfire I jostled the coffee can with a pint or more of gas in it. Please Please Please Be Careful My Friend.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

I came to ride

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post
    Awesome Arash! Brings back memories of the main mechanic at the Honda shop and his Vega. Original engine didn't last so he swapped a 300 HP 350 small block in it. On our first ride to lunch he nailed it from the light and the rear window popped out from the torque twisting the body! Fun days! Two black strips and shattered glass in the intersection...

Not to rain on your parade,,,, "I got it to run for awhile by pouring some gas down the carb and using jumper cables." This is exactly how I spent 3 weeks in a burn ward and a year healing the deep second degree burns at 16 years old. The mixture leaned out, a huge backfire \ fireball ensued when startled by the backfire I jostled the coffee can with a pint or more of gas in it. Please Please Please Be Careful My Friend.
    Same story for my brother-in-law several years back. I cringed a little when I read that too.

On a happier note ....
    I seem to remember someone making a kit that would fit a Ford 289 V-8 in those Pintos.
    '99 ZRX1100, Akropovic, jet kit
    '13 FJR1300, Givi touring stuff

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Nice find. Now go find a wrecked Mustang SHO, or Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and grab the 2.3 turbo out of it.

Also, if you want to be sure there isn't anything illegal in it, run it by the local PD and have them run a K9 through it. I do that every time I buy a used car after finding a crack pipe under the seat of a car I had been driving for more than a year. (It was a 300zx and you couldn't get under there without removing the seats)
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

BadAss Hooligan

WOW this is pretty cool Arash what a great find

It looks in pretty good shape and you have it running already your half way there!

I amazed like Joe it's so rusty underneath and in such good shape body wise Be a great little run around car.

I know you'll keep us posted... good luck getting it street worthy

Wayne

I used to be....

Good Luck, should be a fun project

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    Nice find. Now go find a wrecked Mustang SHO, or Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and grab the 2.3 turbo out of it.

Also, if you want to be sure there isn't anything illegal in it, run it by the local PD and have them run a K9 through it. I do that every time I buy a used car after finding a crack pipe under the seat of a car I had been driving for more than a year. (It was a 300zx and you couldn't get under there without removing the seats)
    Good idea on the PD screening. I would be worried that they would clack me up if they found something! My town is weird...

Everyone at the airport has asked if a LS conversion would fit in there... :

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA-ZRX View Post
    WOW this is pretty cool Arash what a great find

It looks in pretty good shape and you have it running already your half way there!

I amazed like Joe it's so rusty underneath and in such good shape body wise Be a great little run around car.

I know you'll keep us posted... good luck getting it street worthy

Wayne
    Thanks Wayne!

Quote Originally Posted by AL Terry View Post
    Good Luck, should be a fun project
    Thanks Terry!

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Whatever you do, don't get rear-ended! Boom!

We had a Pinto station wagon (yellow) when I was a kid. In fact, my Mom used to let me drive her around town in it when I was 11 years old. That was fun.

Good comedy above, but here is the real deal:

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    Same story for my brother-in-law several years back. I cringed a little when I read that too.

On a happier note ....
    I seem to remember someone making a kit that would fit a Ford 289 V-8 in those Pintos.
    Iíve done this for years. The key is to keep cranking if it tries to backfire and ignite.

For what I paid for it, we agreed to let it burn to the ground where it sat and not even waste an extinguisher on it.

BadAss Hooligan

Todays cars are much softer, if you get rear ended it probably wont even bend the bumper on that beefy old girl
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post

On a happier note ....
    Chet Herbert made the kit. Forward looping headers, I drooled over that catalog and the Accel made turrbo kit. The cologne 2.0 was a beefy design with lots of potential. I had a shelby cam and Doug's header. Esslinger makes speed equipment for the 2.3. I don't think you want to go down that rabbit hole.

Father Joe

Holy retro sh!t Batman. WOW!

So it's been in northern California all these 40 years and it has that level of rust on the frame and undercarriage?

Oh. Subscribed!!!
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Hooligan

If you need help pushing it into the garage, let me know. I am free on Thursday after work, and on Sunday all day.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlZRX View Post
    That is awesome. Wow, does that bring back memories. I learned to drive in one of these. My mom had a yellow pinto wagon from the mid 70s. If I recall it didn't have the roof rack or chrome fender trim. It had an automatic transmission...which made it even more gutless.

Al
    Iím looking forward to driving something that makes my Vanagon feel sporty! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post

We were all aware of the risk and the plan if there was an engine fire was to let it burn...

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Holy retro sh!t Batman. WOW!

So it's been in northern California all these 40 years and it has that level of rust on the frame and undercarriage?

Oh. Subscribed!!!
    Yeah, I guess so...itís all surface rust and adds character so feels apropos for this bad boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_B View Post
    What a rare find. I think these things came rusted through right off the showroom floor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thankfully nothing structural...Iím pretty impressed it looks as good as it does.

Quote Originally Posted by quickhornet View Post
    If you need help pushing it into the garage, let me know. I am free on Thursday after work, and on Sunday all day.
    Awesome! Thanks and Iíll let ya know

2009 Hooligan of the year

Whatever you do, don't get rear-ended! Boom!

We had a Pinto station wagon (yellow) when I was a kid. In fact, my Mom used to let me drive her around town in it when I was 11 years old. That was fun.

The Green Widowmaker

What a rare find. I think these things came rusted through right off the showroom floor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrashoks View Post
    i gave him a stupid look and said that 'tricks are for kids' and i'd rather stunt his mom and walked out...

Formerly known as Racer5349...........a fool by any other name is still a fool.

President of the ZRXOA

Yep, thereís a couple cassettes I found in the car so I have something to try out.

2009 Hooligan of the year

I fought the switch from 8-track to cassette HARD back in the day.

Devilsí Advocate

...it was worse going from records to 8 Track...Multiplay!!

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Born In The USA

If I remember right, the gas tank was punctured by mounting bolts. It was easier to put them in the way they did on the assembly line. You may be able to turn them around.

Danger, Will Robinson!!

The cost of registering an out of date car might be a game changer.

Ford's idea of a computer controlled fuel system in 1980 may also be an issue. When I went to a class on Ford computer systems in the early 80s, I learned that the engineers were evil bastards who went out of their way to make their cars hard to fix at home. Not having the mega expensive electronic gadgets they had at the Ford dealership, I chose to fix GM cars as they made it easy to work on at home.

Might end up an unsmogable airport car with earlier parts on it.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

I used to be....

sorry, just got me thinking

Frampton Comes Alive, Bad Company, & Gary Wright Dream Weaver, had all three on 8-Track, cassette, CD, digital and vinyl, 8-Track & cassette are gone. Think about how many 8-Tracks were thrown out the window

Back to the Pinto

President of the ZRXOA

Iíve only had a few used cars that had an 8 track, but never built up a collection. It was long gone by the time I started driving.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

8-Tracks were the bomb back in the day.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

President of the ZRXOA

Worst case scenario I can scrap it at the recyclers and get all my money back.

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Worst case scenario I can scrap it at the recyclers and get all my money back.
    Bullsh!t. That thing is Wednesday Barrett Jackson material all the way. Start practicing to spell "patina" correctly.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

President of the ZRXOA

Haha, you got it Joe.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

After reading thru this thread in it's entirety, I now know more about Ford Pinto's then I ever thought possible.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  IMG951048.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  137.0 KB

I just went and looked this one over for a buddy in Kansas, him and his son is gonna build the boy his first car and the kid wants a Pinto wagon!
    It had way too much rust, he'd jump on yours!
    Good find Arash, save them from the crusher.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.