+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

Full suspension upgrade on the way for my ZX14r

Loving this bike so much that I decided to go all in. This week I got with the local suspension guy that supports the racers, etc - it is his full time job. Ordered up an Ohlins TTX 36 rear shock with the external adjustable preload (really wanted to be able to adjust the preload with and without bags, passenger, etc). I was going to order cartridges from Ohlins but they aren't making them for the ZX14r any more so we talked about it and ordered Traxxion AK-20 cartridges and springs for the front. Should be here when I get back from the MotoGP weekend.

I've never had good suspension on my street bikes - only on my race bikes. Everyone says it's like night and day, trying to keep my expectations in check.

April's gonna be a GOOD month!!
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

President of the ZRXOA

Re: Full suspension upgrade on the way for my ZX14r

Awesome!

I find a good suspension is much more valuable to me on the bumpy street than a somewhat smoother racetrack. Of course good suspension is beneficial everywhere, but I find a big jump on my ability to ride fast on the street with a good setup.

The ZX-14R ÷hlins front forks are freaking amazing. If you have money to burn, you should try them someday! They feel like a set of marshmallows soaking up all the bumps.

Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

The Busa Cop

I recently did a Penske out back built / sprung for my weight , and the additional weight off the bike . It was a wow moment on first ride . My stock forks are quiet good already for me , but upgrade after another year or so . Did Core Moto Apex 6 Wheels

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

I don't see myself springing for the full forks any time soon! That would have doubled the price of the whole upgrade. I talked it over with the suspension guy here and he said I'd get about 90% of the improvement with the cartridges that I would with the full Ohlins forks.

Nice wheels - what color did you get? I worry about the strength of lighter wheels with the condition of Michigan roads. We have probably the worst roads in the country!
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

President of the ZRXOA

If you do, hit up Steve516. He saved me a huge amount.

Those wheels are a grey anodizing...no idea really because Greg Couch bought them.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

The Busa Cop

Black.

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

Father Joe

For a point of reference Steve...... Mitch has AK20's in his 14.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

I had Daugherty Motorsports work over the 14 forks on my zrx. I have a few thousand miles on stock 14 forks but no experience on Ohlins forks or Ak-20 cartridge kits. Re-sprung with compression and rebound damping fixed. Amazing improvement over the stock forks and very economically priced. @$400

Devilsí Advocate

One Word: ÷hlins.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Father Joe

One Word: ÷hlins.
    If you ever see KWICK riding WITHOUT Ohlins (forks) then hurry on over and check my arse >>>>> piggies taking flight.

Kwackifoofoo

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    If you ever see KWICK riding WITHOUT Ohlins (forks) then hurry on over and check my arse >>>>> piggies taking flight.
    Eh?

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Father Joe

Eh?
    You know. One of those references to: The End Of Time. "Pigs will fly."

Kapeesh???

Kwackifoofoo

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    You know. One of those references to: The End Of Time. "Pigs will fly."

Kapeesh???
    Gotcha

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Went to the suspension guy yesterday to set it up. WOW!!!! The older I get the more I find that I should have taken advice from others earlier in life (have alway been a rebel going my own way)! I must've heard it a hundred times how much of a difference good suspension makes. I always thought that stock suspension was fine on the street - different story on the track. Boy was I wrong. As probably most people know our roads in Michigan are HORRIBLE. I purposely rode through downtown over some areas where the bumps would launch me out of the seat and now I can feel them but the bike is barely disturbed! We also have some concrete highways with expansion joins regularly and those will just be a continuous hammering a couple times a second - I literally can't even feel those now.

Only problem is the cost of every bike I'll own from now on just went up by about $3k!
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post
    Went to the suspension guy yesterday to set it up. WOW!!!! The older I get the more I find that I should have taken advice from others earlier in life (have alway been a rebel going my own way)! I must've heard it a hundred times how much of a difference good suspension makes. I always thought that stock suspension was fine on the street - different story on the track. Boy was I wrong. As probably most people know our roads in Michigan are HORRIBLE. I purposely rode through downtown over some areas where the bumps would launch me out of the seat and now I can feel them but the bike is barely disturbed! We also have some concrete highways with expansion joins regularly and those will just be a continuous hammering a couple times a second - I literally can't even feel those now.

Only problem is the cost of every bike I'll own from now on just went up by about $3k!
    I know, right??

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100