+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VStroms

CarlM

VStroms

Anyone have experience? 650vs 1000. Is the extra weight worth it on the 1000? 650 do ok over 7,000 ft?

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

All I Want To Do Is A Zoom - Zoom

Re: VStroms

Carl
    the VStrom 650 is perfectly capable. you def see more DL1000s out there but i knew someone in AZ who beat the snot out of a 650. i dont have any direct experience with these bikes. i had an SV650 for awhile that sgarea the same motor as the DL650 and was amazed at how it performed
    There's nothing to fear but fear itself

Born In The USA

I have read an article comparing the two. They liked the 650 better, but they are not likely to be your size. I think the big guy would be better for a big guy.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Color Monitor

From the pics I've seen of you here on the board, I can't imagine that you would fit comfortably on a 650 or that it would have enough performance to haul your ass around sufficiently.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

CarlM

I rode my kids SV650S. Of course it didn't have the power of the ZRX but a Vstrom has a different purpose. Thinking it might have trouble going over the passes. I kinda like the single exhaust better. Don't know if it would get off pavement much but I like my DR350 off road way better than the XL650 I had for a few days.

Mongo like candy

CarlM

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    I have read an article comparing the two. They liked the 650 better, but they are not likely to be your size. I think the big guy would be better for a big guy.
    Other than motor, I don't know if the 1000 is "bigger".

Mongo like candy

BadAss Hooligan

There's a slight difference n the ergos between the 1000 (520 Lbs. Wet) and 650 (490 Lbs. Wet). Seat is also taller.

Name:  V Strom 1000 Ergo.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  V Strom 650 Ergo.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  56.4 KB
    Last edited by Big Harry; 03-15-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added Weights
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

I used to be....

In our area there many more 650's. I have had a 2014 1000 for a couple of years now, never been off-road, the roads where we lived were terrible and I wanted something to soak up the bumps. Spent about half the time on the interstate, was much better after switching stock tires for Road Smarts. It is a big bike with lots of room but the v-twin keeps it narrow. I love the torque, can't say I've had it close to redline, power comes in low and no need to rev. Handles well, changed to stainless brake lines and the feel improved, thought about trying to do a 17" front wheel conversion since it's a road bike for me. The early 2nd generation 1000's suffered from off idle hesitation, they recalled and replaced the ignition box, made a huge improvement. Added an Arrow slip on and I like the sound, it has a valve in the exhaust that opens as revs increase, their version of an EXUP Yamaha had in the 90's. For my needs I can't think of a better bike for commuting and weekend rides, kind of boring and not terribly exciting to look at. But. that's why I like it, more riding, less tinkering, quick enough for some fun, and handles well. Doesn't take much thought to ride, I have no regrets about purchasing. Thought about a BMW but that was out of my budget, the Africa Twin is more of a dirt bike. Only have 10k miles and don't see it going anywhere in the near future.