+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New ZRX buyer

Hooligan

New ZRX buyer

Hi guys -
    So I've decided to finally buy a zrx. I'm not new to bikes, and have thought about buying one for years and now seems like I gotta do it. I've been doing a lot of reading and perusing the ole interweb and have decided I think I need a 04 silver one. Would love to have a S model. Unless I find a great deal on another one.? Anyways, convince me why I need one. And after your done telling me all the wonderful things a zrx will do for me, tell me the mods I Must do .. exhaust, jet kit, pods, block off plate (what's that about anyway) degree advance, etc, etc ....

Color Monitor

Re: New ZRX buyer

Welcome. S models were never sold in North America so you will not find one of those. Start with the "ZRXs For Sale forum" on this board. We have quite a few members located in WA/OR so maybe they can help you locate a ZRX. Be patient, there are plenty of good ones out there.

As far as mod recommendations, ALL of them until your wallet is empty.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Hooligan

Just to be clear I don't want to build the ultimate, just a nice clean running bike, the way it should run without going nuts. Yeah I found the S was never imported here, but I did find a new s model fairing on Ebay... a little spendy but would look great once painted to match. And then there's suspension, wheels, etc.... yeah probably won't go to far into that.

Color Monitor

Yea, that's what we all said!

The S fairing is not a direct bolt-on to our R models. It takes quite a bit of modification to mount it on a US bike. I doubt that you'd be interested in taking that job on.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590

Hooligan

Ah, ok I didn't know that. I figured it was a easy bolt on in place of the little bikini fairing. Yeah maybe I don't need one.
    What kinda standard mods do you think I Should do?

Color Monitor

Suspension (shocks/forks) and aftermarket exhaust/jet kit (+20 hp) are the biggest performance enhancers. There are others and lots of bling. You'll see.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590

BadAss Hooligan

Name:  Welcome Ya'll  ZRX.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  Mod Doc.gif
Views: 430
Size:  26.5 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

Just keep it stock like Kwick has done

BadAss Hooligan

If I was you Iíd snap up the Ď01 in Montana that just posted on 1100/1200 page on FB . Mint , all stock , 10k miles , asking $3500 OBO . Iím sure you could get it for $3250 , even with your shipping you would still be in great shape for a nice clean unmolested canvas w/ low miles .

Good luck

BadAss Hooligan

I echo the suggestion to check the For Sale section here.
    There are many great bikes and member bikes always seem to be better deals, better maintained, and often with many of the right mods.
    A road trip to grab one may be a better bet than your standard CL stuff.

Hooligan

Hmmm - gotta check out the one in Montana. That's an easy roadtrip.... and I live for roadtrips, 2 wheel or 4 (this time of year I guarantee you it'll be 4 wheels. Another inch of snow this morning. Seems this winter weather is never going to end).

Hooligan

What do you suggest for easy inexpensive suspension mods?

Hooligan

Where in Montana is it?

Hooligan

I finally bought a ZRX after waiting many years and then bought a 2nd one a month later.That's how awesome they are. Good luck in your search.
    ZRXOA #008987
    ZRXOA #027289

Never ride dirty

Hooligan

Unless you watch Craigslist 3 times daily for 6 months looking for a decent one, and get lucky like I did, jumping on it a half hour after it was posted, this forum is likely your best bet to find a good one, and don't haggle.
    The 2...4...10 rule: always know what is 2 seconds, 4 seconds, and 10 seconds down the road.

'01 ZRX1200R ... '03 ZZR1200 ... '84 GPZ900 ... '83 KZ750 ... 7 Hondas ... 1 Yamaha

BadAss Hooligan

Billings .

You better get on it , sounds like a great deal and great deals usually donít last long.

CarlM

MikeL lives near you.

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

President of the ZRXOA

Welcome aboard and good luck on your search for a bike!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Father Joe

Welcome in from a former Seattleite.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

I'm partial to the Silver, but the Blue and Black ones are nice too.

Welcome aboard
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

Hooligan

Thanks for the welcome guys. Im looking forward to learning more about the zrx and can't wait for better weather to have a chance to put some miles on my first Kawi. Plan to ride a lot of Washington, Oregon and BC this summer.
    Don't know if any of you know of the website Sound Rider? Tom M. put on a fun ride thing called Cafe to Cafe. It's a good excuse to ride places you've never been to before. I've done it 3 previous years and really enjoyed it.

Weirdly Peculiar

Install Kwick's Tensioner Tamer in it. And if you can find a Kwick Kill install that. When you adjust the valves install Kwick's No Flo's. All this is to prevent potential problems. All of these bikes are old enough now to require the rubber brake and clutch lines replaced and if not done in the last 4 years, a full rebuild of the brake and clutch hydraulic systems. Water hoses may need replacing also, and coolant if it's more than a few years old. Don't forget fresh air for the tires and blinker fluid.

Name:  Blinker Fluid.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  71.4 KB
    Last edited by BASpro; 03-09-2019 at 12:19 AM.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

Legal Eagle

Welcome aboard

Once you find your bike, please note that the ZRX likes to roll off its kickstand, so park in 1st gear, but start in neutral.

It's a little early to start thinking of mods, since you don't know what mods your yet to be found REX will have. Very few of them are completely stock

Satan's Donkey

When Mchelle showed me the '01 on Facetubes in Mt. last night I nearly bought it. On principle.
    -Jake

Rape is no laughing matter.
    Unless you're raping a clown.

ZRXOA #2995

Originally posted by Ca Pete
    "A helmet may save your life, but if you are not wearing the rest of your gear, you may wish it hadn't."

Satan's Donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Bikebuster56 View Post
    What do you suggest for easy inexpensive suspension mods?
    Proper springs and the correct new fork juice will help the front some but if you ride on the more "spirited" side you'll want to address fork valving as well. For the rear, a new set of Bitubo's is the least expensive way to get the back acting proper. Wait for a group buy or call Traxxion and speak with Dan. Traxxion does my fork work as well. KWICK is an excellent source for Racetech and Ohlins I believe.
    -Jake

Rape is no laughing matter.
    Unless you're raping a clown.

ZRXOA #2995

Originally posted by Ca Pete
    "A helmet may save your life, but if you are not wearing the rest of your gear, you may wish it hadn't."

Hooligan

I really appreciate the advice from all you guys, especially the maintenance advise from you, by pro. I have to admit I've been pretty lax about changing the blinker fluid in my other bikes. Spose I better get on that.
    Btw, I did contact the seller in Mt and hope to make a deal on it asap. Haven't heard anything back yet.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Bikebuster56 View Post
    I really appreciate the advice from all you guys, especially the maintenance advise from you, by pro. I have to admit I've been pretty lax about changing the blinker fluid in my other bikes. Spose I better get on that.
    Btw, I did contact the seller in Mt and hope to make a deal on it asap. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Good luck , it looks like a nice clean low mile bike and that price is great !

Hooligan

I really appreciate the advice from all you guys, especially the maintenance advise from you, baspro. I have to admit I've been pretty lax about changing the blinker fluid in my other bikes. Spose I better get on that.

Hooligan

Not being as svelte as I once was, and because I tend to ride a little aggressively at times, I'll probably address the suspension and brakes first. As long as it runs good I'll upgrade the other things along the way. These are such pretty bikes I'd like to leave it close to stock, but I would like to polish the wheels and rejet as needed. Still like the idea of adding a S fairing.

Hooligan

You can buy mine.
    Pickup only ......
    Attached Images  
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.