+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    President of the ZRXOA

1999 ACA 7ECA Citabria “Hamachi”

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    It's a balance thing, Mr. Mad. Airplanes have to carry their weight in specific places to fly correctly.
    Had a friend buy his first Cub and told me it flew like crap and runs out of elevator on landing.

I quickly determined he was soloing it from the front seat and was nose heavy and way out of the center of gravity envelope. :
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Stuffed Up

Re: 1999 ACA 7ECA Citabria “Hamachi”

You don’t need a single gauge to fly a J-3 Cub. When a front passenger is seated, you can’t see anything anyways.

You listen to the whistle of the air for airspeed and your butt is the ball for turn coordination. Your eyeballs out the windows suffice for altitude.

The only two gauges I’m ever interested in are the oil pressure and temperature on the far right.
    and here I was thinkin' you flyboys were all smart 'n' shit

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

President of the ZRXOA

In an earlier post, I mentioned how it takes days to get the horizontal off when it’s seized in place.

Here’s the trick in case anyone ever has to undertake this task.

- Use two long pry bars, one on top and one on bottom, putting outward pressure on the horizontal stab where its aft tube inserts into the fuselage. Large screwdrivers work perfect here.

- AeroKroil in the seam, with a heat gun heating the fuselage tube inside the vertical stab.

- Stop and spray the AeroKroil in the seam every now and then and continue heating the fuselage tubing until it’s nice and hot.

*DO NOT BURN UP YOUR AIRPLANE - The interior of the fabric is much more flammable than the exterior. Cut away all the fabric from the area that you will be using the heat gun.

- After many cycles of heat and penetrant, once the tubing is nice and hot, one person repeatedly moves the horizontal up and down while the other person uses both pry bars to put outward pressure on the horizontal to separate it from the fuselage.

- It will slowly work it’s way off, don’t rush it.

This horizontal hasn’t been off since new in 1999, and it looks like a combination of mud and glue was used in the mating surfaces of the tubes. Terrible!!

Left side

Right side

Took me about 20 mins total work today to get both horizontals off. Much better than the 2-7 days* that all the mechanics on the field were saying it would take.

*I guess technically this is the second day since we started soaking it with penetrant yesterday.

Last edited by AV80R; 03-07-2019 at 03:50 AM.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    and here I was thinkin' you flyboys were all smart 'n' shit
    Nah, flying is easier than driving. Less crap to hit.

I can introduce you to some people that will make you wonder how something has not fallen on you from above. It’s amazing how unskilled you can be and still be a pilot.

The most challenging thing for people is simultaneously talking on the radio, navigating, and flying at the same time.

Like chewing gum and walking at the same time.

I know some pilots that only fly by taking off and going east to uncontrolled airspace away from the SFO Class Bravo airspace. They can’t process the airspace in their mind’s eye quick enough to be ahead of the airplane...especially when it’s moving fast.
    Last edited by AV80R; 03-06-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Stuffed Up

I can introduce you to some people that will make you wonder how something has not fallen on you from above. It’s amazing how unskilled you can be and still be a pilot.
    I think I might prefer to remain blissfully unaware.

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

President of the ZRXOA

Fear not Dirk...everything is way more strict in Australia for general aviation!

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Fear not Dirk...everything is way more strict in Australia!
    Fixed it for ya!

President of the ZRXOA

True that!

RIP 4/11/19

Fixed it for ya!
    Except for tampering with cricket balls...
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by jacohatt View Post
    Except for tampering with cricket balls...
    Oh thems fightin' words Jaco!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

RIP 4/11/19

Oh thems fightin' words Jaco!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

BadAss Hooligan

Dang it Arash, you done went and broke that airplane
    ZRXOA 7793
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

President of the ZRXOA

Hehe

BadAss Hooligan

How is flying trim handled on that air frame. I didn't see an adjustable stab. Maybe I'm just blind????
    ZRXOA 7793

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by kenh View Post
    How is flying trim handled on that air frame. I didn't see an adjustable stab. Maybe I'm just blind????
    Trim tab on left elevator. It’s flopped downwards in the below pic.

BadAss Hooligan

Yup, I'm blind! lol I can understand the work involved. Just finished such a job though on a much smaller scale. At least you don't have to work around hinges!

Ken
    ZRXOA 7793

President of the ZRXOA

Honestly I think the models are harder than full scale. At least everything is big and easy to handle on this bird.

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct

Yep, you solo them from the front seat. Same with Champs.

In contrast, the J-3 Cub you solo from the rear seat.
    I get the weight thing, I was thinking it was one of those CYA statement, because someone would sit in the rear trying to fly the plane
    somehow. My bad : looking at your other pictures I see the controls for the rear seat occupant . I am a dumbass

Sorry
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson

President of the ZRXOA

No sweat, most every tandem seat GA aircraft has dual controls. Not obvious to folks who have never flown in one.

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct

Yep, you solo them from the front seat. Same with Champs.

In contrast, the J-3 Cub you solo from the rear seat.
    No sweat, most every tandem seat GA aircraft has dual controls. Not obvious to folks who have never flown in one.
    I might just take me a road trip ( from AZ) when you get that one built
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Irish View Post
    I might just take me a road trip ( from AZ) when you get that one built
    Sounds great! The door is open.

Here’s a good shot of the dual controls. The elevator trim isn’t easily accessible to the rear seat occupants unless they lean way forward in loose shoulder belts.

President of the ZRXOA

Disconnected the forward fuel lines from both tanks.

Left

Right

The interconnected tank vent hose wouldn’t budge so it was cut and will be replaced.

Left jury strut removed

And the right

Next step is to remove the wing attach bolts and nuts and replace them with long screwdrivers in preparation for a no wind day to remove the wings.

President of the ZRXOA

Replaced all four wing mounting bolts with screwdrivers today in preparation to take the wings off.

Used a punch in one because it fit so good

All the strut attach hardware is loosened and ready to come off. Just need a few guys to show up and the wings are ready to come off now.

Time to peel back the fabric. This part is always fun.

All this fluffy padded interior will not be reused. It all weighs a lot. We’re going to do a very spartan and bare interior to save weight.

Definitely some work to be done on the tubing before painting it all.

Some wavy wood!

One piece is dated 2005 and has clearly been replaced. Nothing in the logs about it, but that’s not surprising.

All the rest of the wood is dated 1998

When built new at the factory, they use these expanding rivets to hold the wood to the fuselage tubing.

You can see bolts installed where they replaced the wood

All the wood formers will be replaced with new.

Plate on top of the fuse for the data plate and antenna.

Next step is to remove the wings. Thanks for following along.

Born In The USA

The vertical stab offset is one entire tube width. How convenient.

So, you found the reason for the sagging covering on the side.

You guys are getting in really deep.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

It’s exciting to see the bones! It’ll be a great transformation when all the tubes are cleaned up and painted with all new wood and hardware.

Even I miss the old flying dave

Damn! One hell of a project!!

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by flying dave View Post
    Damn! One hell of a project!!
    If you’ve ever at Five Rivers at Livermore Dave, come say hi! I’m on the other (south) side of the field. We have 140 feet of hangar there with 4 airplanes stuffed in them in all states of maintenance, from full airframe strip and repair to an actual flying plane!

BadAss Hooligan

If a piece of the wood has been replaced then is is safe to assume it had new covering at that time? also a perfect time to rebuild or replace all the pulleys! I'm surprised there isn't an option to NOT use wood for the formers. Something like aluminum instead???? Quite the project!

I had a chance to buy a Tri Pacer one time. It was blown completely apart. All cleaned up and ready to put back together but I had no place to work on it and no cash! I don't remember if it had an engine or not.

Ken
    ZRXOA 7793

President of the ZRXOA

Ken, you can replace the bulkhead from the inside without removing the covering. We’ve done it before. It helps if you’re a petite Filipino lady, but I’ve accomplished it when I was a skinny 12 year old kid.

You dodged the bullet on that Tri-Pacer. That’s one of the ugliest airplanes of the era! It’s affectionately called the flying milk stool for a reason.

Funny thing is that they’re old enough now where they’re making a comeback, and many are being converted to tail draggers. With some well thought out mods, they become a mini version of a Maule.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...-buy-tri-pacer

President of the ZRXOA

Today was a fun day

Wing dolly

By the time all 4 guys finally showed up, it was late afternoon and the wind had picked up so we pushed the plane so that one wing was sheltered in the hangar.

Struts off

And then pull the screwdrivers previously inserted in the wing attach holes to pull it off the fuselage.

Now that the wings are off, it’s time for some airplane musical hangars.

The 182D moves into the hangar with the Citabria wings.

Then the Christen Eagle II bumps the 170B out of my hangar so I can install a UGB-16 engine monitor.

And the 170B goes where the 182D used to live and the Citabria fuselage is in the end room where the Eagle used to park.

Afterwards I helped a neighbor lift his crashed 172 on to a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift. Same one I have, but mine is not used for airplanes, LOL!