+ Reply to Thread
    Hooligan

‘78 Kz1000 Resto-Mod on a budget

Hey all,

After seeing Menace’s build threads on his old Kz’s I thought I might share mine. Bear with me as the post is long and so is the timeline.

A small amount of back story...

I bought it when I was 15 (circa 1997) for $600 with the help of my parents.
    Name:  IMG_8400.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  78.6 KB

I spent quite a bit of $$ fixing it up into it's first incarnation. It was pretty much stock with the exception of a 1/4 cafe style fairing. (Sorry no pics.)

Then the cafe bug hit me and I ditched the handlebars for some clip-ons, tossed the front and rear fenders and threw on some rearsets. This second version was 2001-2002 or somewhere in there.
    Name:  IMG_8401.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  96.6 KB

Soon after I discovered the streetfighter style and started version #3, sorta a cafe-fighter. I kept the rearsets and clip-ons but ditched the 19"F/18"R skinny tire combo for some 17" hoops. I swapped to a modified Kz1000C police front end with a ZX11C front rim and brakes and mounted up a first gen Gsxr1100 swingarm and a ZX6D 4.5" rear rim with a beefy (at the time) 160 wide tire. I also had dual 4" dominators and a trimmed Buell fly screen.

The low clip-ons only lasted a couple of years, until I decided to go back with normal handlebars and a 8" Gs1100 headlight with the stock cluster. In this version, I fabbed up my own hydraulic clutch actuator using ZX7 parts and a Honda clutch line.
    Name:  IMG_8402.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  87.9 KB

Then version #4 started. The back half of the bike remained the same as version #3 but I replaced the police front end with '89-90 ZX7 RWU forks and triples. The stem lengths were almost identical so only a bearing swap was needed. The stock ZX steering stops even worked without modding allowing 1/8-3/16" gap between the fork tubes and tank at full lock.

I slowly started collecting more pieces to update the Kz. I bought a Zrx1100 swingarm here, a wider 5.5” Zx11D rear wheel to match the Zx11C front wheel and an installed but never used aftermarket Z1 carved seat. I also bought a pair of RFY shocks that were rebuilt by CL MotoTech. I set about getting the swingarm to fit. I had to shave about 1/4" or so from the pivot and turn up some spacers to adapt the 20mm pivot of the arm to the Kz pivot bolt. Luckily, the arm missed the stock muffler brackets.
    Name:  IMG_6218.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  2.12 MB
    Name:  IMG_6219.JPG
Size:  1.71 MB

Bought an old MAC exhaust and modded an Aprilia midpipe and pipe from Danmoto.
    Name:  IMG_8592.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  2.15 MB
    Name:  IMG_8595.JPG
Size:  2.01 MB
    Name:  IMG_8594.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  2.06 MB

I also stripped the factory clear coat and polished the lips on the Zx11 wheels. Then masked the lip and painted the center black.

Got a tire mounted on the Zx11 rear wheel. Finished modding the sprocket carrier by turning it down and countersinking the studs by 5mm. Just need to clean, mask it off and paint it and it’ll be finished too.

Threw some pieces back on to see how it’s coming together.

That pretty much brings me close to up-to-date.

Later, Doug
    Last edited by Streetfighterkz; 03-03-2019 at 01:36 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: ‘78 Kz1000 Resto-Mod on a budget

BadAss Hooligan

Just an FYI - All your pics from your original post disappeared and now show as below. Photobucket is not the best app for pics on the board.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  133.5 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Just an FYI - All your pics from your original post disappeared and now show as below. Photobucket is not the best app for pics on the board.

Attachment 304142
    Weird...they all show for me. I’ll see what I can do to fix them a later today.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Later, Doug

Hooligan

I see the pics at this time Doug.
    Thanks for sharing with us!

BadAss Hooligan

I see most of the pics, but not all.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  63.0 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    I see most of the pics, but not all.
    I’m using links from PhotoBucket as well as Postimg.org in the thread and both aren’t showing up for you it appears.

Later, Doug

Color Monitor

I can only see the first half of the pics.

Why don't you just post the pics directly from your computer? You won't have any viewing problems that way.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Hooligan

I do about 95% of posting from my phone. I’ll try again when I get home from vacation in a few days and get access to my laptop.

Later, Doug

Hooligan

I started to edit the original post by uploading pics directly from my computer. It's going to take time and some of the pics aren't orientating correctly.

Later, Doug