+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Licensed to Mod

Diavel is just a newfangled ZRX

The Diavel could have been inspired by the ZRX - sport tourer, comfortable, powerful, low seat, 500 + lbs so I test rode one out of curiosity.

It was an easy transition from the ZRX and I felt immediately at home. It does everything that my 20 year old ZRX 1100 can do and it does most of it a little bit better. More power, better handling (partly due to electronic gizmos), a bit more comfortable, slightly lower center of gravity.

What struck me most though was how small the improvements were after 20 years of technological advances.

Then there are the negatives - The Diavel will be much harder to customize to fit your riding style, far less reliable, much more expensive to maintain (and insure), and it hates to be ridden below 4000 RPM (shaking and stuttering) so it's miserable in town. Shifting is no better than the Rex and although the brakes are a little more aggressive they seem to have less feel.

After the test ride I came to the conclusion, much to my relief, that dropping $20K + on a bike that halves in value after 4 years and is barely better than a 20 year old Rex would be idiotic.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried a Diavel and if they had the same impressions...

Stuffed Up

Re: Diavel is just a newfangled ZRX

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'syouruncle View Post
    The Diavel could have been inspired by the ZRX - sport tourer, comfortable, powerful, low seat, 500 + lbs so I test rode one out of curiosity.

It was an easy transition from the ZRX and I felt immediately at home. It does everything that my 20 year old ZRX 1100 can do and it does most of it a little bit better. More power, better handling (partly due to electronic gizmos), a bit more comfortable, slightly lower center of gravity.

What struck me most though was how small the improvements were after 20 years of technological advances.

Then there are the negatives - The Diavel will be much harder to customize to fit your riding style, far less reliable, much more expensive to maintain (and insure), and it hates to be ridden below 4000 RPM (shaking and stuttering) so it's miserable in town. Shifting is no better than the Rex and although the brakes are a little more aggressive they seem to have less feel.

After the test ride I came to the conclusion, much to my relief, that dropping $20K + on a bike that halves in value after 4 years and is barely better than a 20 year old Rex would be idiotic.

I was wondering if anyone else had tried a Diavel and if they had the same impressions...
    I can only TOTALLY agree with you here, the Diavel is a smidge more refined than the ZRX - but only just so. I actually thing the ZRX handles a little better than the Diavel - I almost bought a 2014, luckily they sold it (happily that meant I bought another ZRX).

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

In Charge of McGov Only

I'm too fat to fit in it's single seat comfortably.

Father Joe

20 years ago their sport bikes were famous for their "5 point turns."

I can't imagine what it's like trying to finaggle a Snivel around some place like, oh, say, The Rock Store on a sunny Sunday.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

The German ZRX

Name:  IMG_0018.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  148.1 KB
    If you want something you never had,
    You have to do something you've never done.

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    20 years ago their sport bikes were famous for their "5 point turns."

I can't imagine what it's like trying to finaggle a Snivel around some place like, oh, say, The Rock Store on a sunny Sunday.
    Turned fine, dunno what you're on about??

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    Turned fine, dunno what you're on about??
    The older Ducati’s had steering stops that really limited the left/right fork travel and made parking lot maneuvering a PITA.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Stuffed Up

The older Ducati’s had steering stops that really limited the left/right fork travel and made parking lot maneuvering a PITA.
    I've only ridden a few Duc's but have never encountered this before, definitely not on the Diavel - it was a pleasure to ride.

In Charge of McGov Only

The Diavel a sport tourer?

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    It's taken several days and a bunch of posts. But we're back to agreeing.

Kwackifoofoo

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Gina has had two Ducati Monsters, a 99 750 and later model 696, maybe a 2010 or 11, can't remember, but they had terrible turning radii
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

Stuffed Up

Not sure how else I'd describe it??????

BadAss Hooligan

Not sure how else I'd describe it??????
    If I'm not mistaken, Ducati categorize it as a "Cruiser".
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Ducati categorize it as a "Cruiser".
    SPORT cruiser???

Kwackifoofoo

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    SPORT cruiser???
    i suppose you COULD cruise on it, but it is way more fun to Hooligan on it. Heck of a bike, I almost bought one - to the point that I made an offer, but apparently they'd taken a deposit on it the day before!

In Charge of McGov Only

i suppose you COULD cruise on it, but it is way more fun to Hooligan on it. Heck of a bike, I almost bought one - to the point that I made an offer, but apparently they'd taken a deposit on it the day before!

There is no discussing anything with you if you think this is the best $20,000 bike available today.

Glad you like it, it's nothing like a ZRX, with the exception that they are both motorcycles.

BadAss Hooligan

^ this

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Stuffed Up

There is no discussing anything with you if you think this is the best $20,000 bike available today.

Glad you like it, it's nothing like a ZRX, with the exception that they are both motorcycles.
    Not sure where I said this at all! I said it's a heck of a bike, I say the same thing about the ZRX and I'd say the same about an MT10.

Just Some Random Guy

Brand new ZRX in '99.....$7,999.

A significant portion of the '99 ZRXs appeal was its retro style with its sport-standard performance chops at that price point (and it's near equal competitor, the '97 Bandit, which I've also owned).

Price matters.

Last edited by AV80R; Today at 03:47 AM. Reason: No politics

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG
    Apparently, the term "hooligan" means something completely different on this forum than what I'm used to. Apparently it's synonymous with "compliant fluffball".
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24
    I hate these kind of threads. Half the time it's due to some other stupid shit they've done to their bike that they thought was too insignificant to mention until page 8.

In Charge of McGov Only

Not sure where I said this at all! I said it's a heck of a bike, I say the same thing about the ZRX and I'd say the same about an MT10.
    If you were going to buy it, you think it's the best you could get, otherwise you'd buy the better bike.

Either that or you're very wealthy and you buy lots of bikes on whims.

Hooligan

I was looking at used ones a while back. It seemed like they had a reputation of breaking a little too often. I don’t think it’d be easy to work on like the ZRX. That kind of scared me away. But they are neat to look at and I’m sure a blast to rip around in.

Stuffed Up

If you were going to buy it, you think it's the best you could get, otherwise you'd buy the better bike.

Either that or you're very wealthy and you buy lots of bikes on whims.
    It was ONE of several different bikes that fit my criteria.

Gen3 and earlier were apparently quite buggy, but I think from 2015 or so they had them all sorted out. I know a guy with a 2016 that bought new and hasnt had any issues at all.

In Charge of McGov Only

It was ONE of several different bikes that fit my criteria.

Gen3 and earlier were apparently quite buggy, but I think from 2015 or so they had them all sorted out. I know a guy with a 2016 that bought new and hasnt had any issues at all.
    Hey, whatever floats your boat is cool with me, just comparing it with a ZRX is where I had a problem.

Last bike I bought was a Yamaha XSR900, had absolutely nothing in common with a ZRX.

BadAss Hooligan

their site says naked muscle cruiser. Yeah dont see much area for luggage. Prolly a blast to ride though and given the price of new bikes these days, its relatively tame in price

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Calamity Gil

I was at a local dealership a little while back. The owners’ son asked me if the ZRX parked in the front was mine. I said with a big grin, “Yes, yes it is”. He said, “Cool, would you mind taking this Diavel for a ride and letting me know what you think”?
    Hell yeah! He explained some of the electronic settings and off I went. I was pretty impressed with the bike as a whole. It had an aftermarket exhaust and some computer settings worked over. What an absolute beast of a bike. When I left the dealership I was naturally wondering what I could do to make the deal happen. Fortunately, I made the right decision and decided the test ride was the best part of the bike.
    ZRXOA membr #8704
    "It is not the strong but the responsive that survive."

BOTM Feb '13

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cundalini View Post
    their site says naked muscle cruiser. Yeah dont see much area for luggage. Prolly a blast to ride though and given the price of new bikes these days, its relatively tame in price
    I don't think the bosses yellow Yamaha 900 has much area either. Does he still own it? Ride it?

Kwackifoofoo

Devils’ Advocate

"Turned fine, dunno what you're on about??
    The older Ducati’s had steering stops that really limited the left/right fork travel and made parking lot maneuvering a PITA. "

My roommate dropped his 1980 900SS more than once because of this....

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

Last bike I bought was a Yamaha XSR900, had absolutely nothing in common with a ZRX.
    Bought on a whim!

Like my FJ09. Alas, both whims are long gone!

Several years ago, Cycle World invited me to a Diavel test in northern San Diego County. Short ride but I was surprised by the power, brakes and handling of such a big bike. It's not really like a ZRX in riding position--more cruiser than standard. The brakes are, of course, very nice Brembos. The suspension was good at soaking up bumps for such a short bike. And the bike made plenty of power which we only got to sample on a very limited basis.

A few years later I bought my 2000 Monster 900 for a song compared to a Diavel. It has less power but weighs only about 415 lbs, if that, so it pulls hard out of corners based on its torque. Could definitely use better suspension though and does have very limited steering lock. All that being said, it's fun to ride and a different riding experience than the ZRX and, especially, my '16 Versys. Very raw, somewhat of a cafe racer though I have superbike 'bars on it.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

All I Want To Do Is A Zoom - Zoom

yeah i would say its a bit of a stretch to put the Diavel and ZRX in the same category. the Diavel resembles more the VMAX i think... sport cruiser
    There's nothing to fear but fear itself

BadAss Hooligan

I have not test rode the Diavel because I know I would end up holding the bag on a $20,000+ debt

I love the style of it and cannot see any reason to modify anything on it, I love the style of Ducati motorcycles but could not justify spending the money to own one. I have sat on the Diavel in the dealership and it does remind me of my Rex in some ways. With that fat 240 on the rear I know it cannot handle or be nearly as nimble in the twisties as the Rex. Plus the footing is more forward positioned on the Diavel, one thing I have always described about the Rex is that it feels like sitting on a bar stoole with power and handling like a crotch rocket.

Hense the difference between a sport bike(Rex) and a super sport bike, I have been on 6+ hour long rides on the Rex and have ended up with a sore ass at most, I cannot see being able to put in that many hours on a Diavel.