+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Brothers in Baja

Friday Feb 1: Travel

Met Toby (brother) & Rick (friend) in San Diego airport friday evening. It was -34F the morning they left Minnesota.
    It was +55 the day I left Montana.

We Uber'd to the hotel in the Gas Lamp district a couple blocks from Petco Stadium, got rooms then had a couple beers at the hotel. Then we went searching for a Karaoke bar as that is a requirement on trips with Toby. Word on the street was "go to the Werewolf". So we go. Tell arrived about 11:30. He & I had separate flights as he was a last-minute attendee. A couple ( few)
    more beers & we are back at hotel at a respectable 1:30, no worse for wear.

Saturday Feb. 2: SuperCross Race day

No one's up too early & we eat breakfast at the hotel. Real eggs & sausage are offered. Cool.
    It's lightly raining. Forecast is for more rain & flash flood warnings. Early qualifying for the evening's
    main events are postponed till 4:00 (in retrospect a big mistake) Rick's wife, Kayla, arrives so we visit a bit and then go out for late lunch. Kayla, Rick & Tell have oysters Toby clam chowder & fish tacos for me.
    Lots of little electric scooters around that look like fun. I say I'm not risking it without full gear. I envision us all geared up, crashing into garbage cans, etc. Maybe another time.

We head for the race venue as the rain continues and increases. We purchase tickets in stands which are somewhat covered by an upper deck.
    There's security where all bags are checked, pockets emptied into bowls, walk-thru metal detector,the whole nine yards, no cover at all. Toby tells the security girl he's not putting his cell phone in the water bowl ( which I have been watching fill at the rate of 1/2" per 60 seconds. I swear I'm, not exaggerating here. There is a 5 minute window here that it's raining harder than I have ever seen anywhere before.) My turn & she wants to see into every compartment of my backpack. Really?!! Yes.

We regroup inside ( not actually inside but under cover anyways ). Standing & running water everywhere. The track looks like a swamp. We are finally allowed to our seating area. The rain has backed off to a steady light rain which is blowing straight into our faces. The KTM SX Kids event is cancelled as it would qualify as child abuse in all but @ 4 states in America, not to mention I dont think one of them could make a lap without help to get pushed up the whoops. In fact, I dont think a person could crawl up the whoops without a rope.

First 250 A 10 minute heat. They do not use the starting gates but a flag start @ 50 feet down-track. Maybe 75 yards to turn one and most have already pulled off their first tear-off and the yellow flags are out . About two laps in I cant figure out who is who even though the jumbo-tron follows the leader & posts the order by rider number. As sloppy & slick as it is I'm amazed that they are still pulling off double & triple jumps. fast lap time is under 1:00.

We watch the 250 B heat and then the 450 A heat. By now there are massive ruts and lap times are up to @ 1:25 or so. It's just a race to turn one and a war of attrition from there on. I tell Tell I'm heading back to the hotel for a hot shower & dry clothes.
    He says "yeah, me too" and I tell the others & we all head back. On the way I say " Screw it,I'm staying at the hotel & watching the race in comfort. I'm not getting sick right before the ride". The last of our group, Gail, arrives at the hotel and we all watched the race in dry & warm. I'm in bed by 10:30 & asleep by 10:35.

Sunday Feb 3: Super Bowl Sunday

The original plan was to spend today in San Diego and on monday morning to cross the border & be picked up by the tour guys there but instead we decide to ditch the big-city and get rooms in Rosarito, watch the game there & have a jump on monday morning. Kayla heads back to Minnesota and Tell, Toby & Gail get an Uber and Rick & I get another. Rick & I get dropped off about 4 miles from where we should be. Another Uber takes us near where we should be. Confusing. Rick calls the guys and they say they are across the border & on their way to Rosarito. I see a cluster of Border patrol guys & say " We're looking for Mexico". They point the way. No waiting in line, a very little paperwork (glad I brought my cheaters) and we are IN!!.

Meet the gang at Rosarito Beach Hotel then hit the hotel bar. Talk with a fellow who's there alone. He asks what we're up to & I say riding & that's my son, brother, a friend & a guy who just got released from the penitentiary." Which one? I may have met him". Judging by his tats I believe he's not completely joking. Turns out he works with the film industry building movie sets. He's a foreman, been with them 21 years, flies all over the world for work. Currently building a ship and an airplane that crashes into it. Scheduled to finish his work in June. Movie titled "Rescue" if I recall correctly. He didnt know who would be in it. Interesting & nice guy.

From there we walked over to the best burrito stand in Rosarito for burritos (& beer. Rick says it's important to stay hydrated. No one argues.) then found a bar to watch the Super Bowl. Someone says "Puppy Bowl" and Toby tells us that determines the winner 70% of the time. I suppose that info might come in handy if I'm ever a contestant on Jeopardy. I doubt it.

Not many people there but the staff was certainly in the Super Bowl mood with their jerseys & banners. Our bartender/waiter's name is Manuel; Manny to his friends. So, Manny it is. A couple buckets of beer and talk turns to tequila, which leads to talk of Don Julio. Which leads to talk of Don Julio 1942. Which leads to shots of same. Which leads to talk of Don Julio 1970. Which also leads to shots of same. Which leads to more buckets of beer. Which leads to vague images of a football game. (I do clearly recall someone won and it wasnt the Packers.)

After exchanging phone #'s and addresses, FB, Twitter, Instagram info, children's birth dates, anniversaries, etc and a few hugs and tears with Manny it's off to another bar. Or a Mexican kidnapping. I'm unsure which might be worse; but it's not like I really care at this point. I'm fully hydrated.

to be continued.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Brothers in Baja

Monday Feb 4: We ride.

ow. ow. moan. omg. ow. just shoot me. please. someone. ow.

I'm awake in our hotel room at Rosarito. ow. music is blaring in the living room. I stagger out to see Rick eating a banana & dancing in his undies. That doesnt help.
    Gail is sitting on the couch, hunched forward, unmoving. Hi mouth is half open, eyes staring somewhere, sometime. I think he's breathing. I'd take a picture but I feel just like he looks. And we are supposed to ride today? I honestly dont know if I can. Or should. Thinking I may have been safer with the kidnappers.

It's still raining off & on but we see a little blue sky to the south and are cautiously optimistic. I mean, this is Baja, right? The view of the ocean is beautiful with the waves crashing on the shore.

Waldo is there promptly at 9:00. On the way to the shop we stop for fish tacos and what is supposed to be a great hangover
    remedy. A sort of seafood soup named blah blah "vida" meaning resurrection or new life or something. It's not bad and it stays down.

We reach the shop & gear up. I do NOT think i should be on a motorcycle.In fact i KNOW I shouldnt. ( I'm informed later that others of the group were of the same mind). The plan is to loop inland then back to the coast & spend the night at Coyote Cal's. 290 OMG kilometers. We head out on pavement for a few miles before hitting the dirt and mud. It's more sloppy than muddy. Some of what would normally be deep loose sand is actually pretty good. Most though is not. A couple hours in & I'm getting my land legs and the condition of my head is "acceptable".

We hit some fun dirt roads, winding 2nd & 3rd gear stuff ( keep in mind these bikes are geared 15/48 which is @ 108 tapped out). Felipe, who leads, pulls up & after a little conversation on the radio says he needs to go back as Waldo's stopped. A few minutes later here comes Felipe towing Waldo; his engine seized. It's 15 miles to where they can hook up with the chase van. We take off with them bringing up the rear. We wait at forks in the trail and they are never very far behind. Pretty amazing teamwork & skill. We leave Waldo & continue to Ojos Negros for lunch & HOT coffee. We are all soaked & cold. Waldo soon shows up on another bike (XR400). He says we may want to consider a slight change in plan. If we stay with plan we will be after dark getting into Coyote Cals. We could alter the route & spend the night at Ensenada. No one wants to ride after dark.

The rain has mostly eased up & other than dodging numerous puddles we have pretty good & fun riding. Eventually we reach Ensenada and ride into the hotel. Omar is the chase van driver who also helps Waldo & Felipe service the bikes every night & he's there waiting for us with all our bags which contain dry clothes. Hot showers and then beer. Not many places open. I believe it is a mexican holiday which may be part of the reason but it's also not tourist season.Gail & I are hungry so we hit a
    little mom & pop place where a couple ladies are making tortillas. They dont speak english & we dont speak spanish. But the lady knows we are hungry & fixes us up with a couple tacos & Coke. We head back to the hotel. Not sure where the others are but no matter, Gail & I are NOT going to relive this morning. Another hot shower & in bed before midnight.

Thankfully we only did 177 cold & wet kilometers today.

to be continued.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6X288jI604

BadAss Hooligan

Tuesday Feb. 5

I get a good night's sleep and am ready to make the ride cross-peninsula to San Felipe; or as Waldo calls it "San Whoops" as there's a 30 mile section of whoops on the way. The skies look sketchy again. We roll @ 8:00 in intermittent rain.

We head east & south and start climbing. In & out of rain & fog. We go thru the Pine Forest ( this is one of two in this area. Last year we were in one further north by Laguna Hansen). Super-fun 3rd & 4th gear winding sand with some sweeping bermed corners. We stop for a short break & Gail's Garmin watch shows 5380' elevation. The rain is verging on sleet. It's chilly. The worst part is reduced visibility due to water on goggles.

As we lose elevation the rain lessens & the temperature rises. The last mile or so to pavement is a steep rocky section they call "goat trail". Last year it would have freaked me out but this year it's fun. We come out at a little town & stop for lunch. Gail's got a fork seal leaking pretty bad so they guys clean it up & use a slick tool to get the crud out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorcyc...YTx:rk:47:pf:0 It does the trick.

A short stint on pavement then it's back on another stretch of the actual Baja race course. These are the whoops. Deep loose sand and fairly big whoops. I start out in relative control getting into a rhythm getting my front tire to hit the tops of the whoops. But then I come a little short and am bounced sideways into the next whoop. From there I think i grabbed some throttle in my attempt to hang on & launch off-track directly at a tree/bush. No let-off, no braking. My mind races & things actually appear in slo-mo. I look for a trunk to miss (not that i have any real control but i can at least lean my body one way or the other to lessen my impact) & there's no real trunk; it starts branching very near the ground. I cannot see thru the branches & leaves to know what's on the other side. I lock up both brakes mid-air. I run worst-case scenarios thru my head. Tops on the list is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFCpoCGgzU

Close second is a big rock.

The branches part & it's just bare ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBByTiKfyY

Waldo is right behind me & sees it all. He's also relieved. We go a little ways more , me at a very slow pace, and after a short bit we all hit the pavement which runs parallel to the whoops . Seems the other guys didnt want to do 30 miles of that crap either.

We meet Omar in the chase van & take a short break. A guy comes down the dirt road on an old ratty Yamaha 500. Waldo talks to him, goes in the van & gets a spare set of goggles for him and then tell us the guy just came from some of the worst of Baja. Alone. Very little gear. The guy was hard core & then some. As we are resting I walk over to check out the cactus. I barely touch a needle & the friggen thing attacks me. The prickly pear that I kneel on at times at home are nothing compared to this. Waldo calls it "magnetic cactus". It's then that the full realization of what might have been hits me. Just brushing one of these with an arm could mean the end of the trip. I WILL NOT hit any. Ever.

A few miles of straight sand road & we hit the El Diablo dry lake bed. We wind 'em up and after a few miles Gail's bike quits. We pull the tank and find the sparker thingy doesnt spark. Anywhere. Felipe tows waldo back to the hiway as we pull our wet boots & lie in the warm sunshine until Felipe returns. ( We have seen the last of the rain). After a little bit Tell & I play around doing wheelies & stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oHWD2DoQmk

After @ an hour Felipe arrives & we head east. Off the lake bed & into sandy 4th & 5th gear sweepers for several miles. Then the trail turns into a nicely paved road which ends at Hiway 5. We hang a right & are at San Felipe & the Sea of Cortez !

We take a little spin down what is sorta "main street" then ride over to the motel & Indio cerveza. It's dead calm and reasonably warm. Gorgeous, especially after the rain & wind we've experienced the last few days. Showers & we head over to Baja Mar for supper. Toby & Gail had some shrimp, Rick fish, Tell & I fajitas. Gail says later if anyone had tried to take his shrimp away there'd have been bloodshed. Everything was excellent. An old fellow with a worn out guitar and nice voice sang us a couple songs. We had a couple more beers. I headed back to the hotel while the other guys went somewhere; probably a karaoke bar. I reach the hotel & Omar, Felipe & Waldo are finishing up some Chinese take-out. Only 2 more bikes to service. They cleaned all the fork seals and changed oil in them all. Thankfully they didnt have to service the air filters. It's 10:30. They put in long days with no complaint.

314 kilometers. I'm off to bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvYVXYmXlUM

to be continued

BadAss Hooligan

Day 3. San Felipe & the Sea of Cortez

Name:  DSCF2003.JPG
Views: 179
Size:  3.57 MB

I got up before everyone else & watched the sun rise over the Sea of Cortez. It was cloudy but there was a small opening on the horizon that obliged me. The tide was out and there were a couple fishing boats not far out. A pickup & trailer drove out over the wet sand & backed its trailer into the water about up to the running boards to pick one up. We eat breakfast then gear up. Waldo asks if we want to do 30 miles of whoops. It's unanimous.

We ride down main, wave at the pretty lady cops & they wave back, then stop for a photo op before gassing up & leaving town.
    Name:  DSCF2018.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  3.62 MB

We head back across El Diablo and hit some pavement then gas in the little town we ate lunch in yesterday. It's chilly but dry. We head south & west. We ride a great mix of fast sweepers, double track, single track then his a fire road which is part of the race course. It winds up through the mountains and we stop on top for a break & some venison jerky. ( I'd dried @ 10# for the trip. man, it went like candy at an Oprah show). In the far off distance we can see the pacific.

Name:  DSCF2026.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  3.79 MB

Onward. Heading up a little rocky stretch i get too close to Tell, lose sight in the dust & lowering sun and pick a bad line and subsequently kill my bike. As I'm getting ready to start it Toby runs into me. Not hard, just a bump. No harm no foul. Away we go on more great trails.

We reach the coast & it's a very picturesque spot. We shoot a few pics then head up-coast for Coyote Cal's.

Name:  DSCF2032.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  3.82 MB

We reach Coyote Cal's exactly at Beer:thirty. It's quite windy & chilly and our room is lower floor. There are 4 bunk beds. Toby ends up on top. One common trait about every place we've stayed at in Baja is NO HEAT. Thankfully this room is quite comfortable & there are plenty of warm blankets on the beds. I watch the sun set on the Pacific. It seems like the sun is setting due south but I'm sure I'm just a little turned around due to the direction of the coastline right here. The wind subsides & someone starts a fire in the fire pit.
    Name:  DSCF2047.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  3.86 MB

We sit around it drinking beer till supper is served at 6:45. It's Thai food, chicken something, veggies, rice, toast, very good & good sized portions. Chocolate ice cream for dessert

The ladies start cleaning up. One puts an apron on a little girl and there's some fussing about it. Though i cant understand what they are saying I'm pretty sure they just had this apron specially made for her & it was her first time with "the big girls". Is there a limit to how many times a person can fall in love? man, what a sweetie.

Name:  DSCF2050.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  3.82 MB

By 7:45 Toby & I are both in bed and shortly after are out cold.

266 kilometers today.

to be continued....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK0_iwjNgrs&t=2s

BadAss Hooligan

Thursday Feb 7

Name:  DSCF2044.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  3.88 MB

Name:  DSCF2051.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  3.56 MB

Looking over my notes I was mistaken about the sun's position last night. It was this AM when it rose that it looked due south, or in line with the coast .

Anyways, I woke up a little before sunrise to a rooster crowing; one of my favorite things to wake up to !

Name:  DSCF2057.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  3.92 MB

I grabbed a shower then headed upstairs and grabbed a cup of coffee and wandered outside to take a couple pictures and get the joints moving. Chilly. 39 degrees and a very slight breeze. The coastline is just beautiful.

The ladies served us breakfast: eggs, bacon & waffles.

We head up the coast a short ways then turn inland. Another great mix of fire roads, trails, some fun 2nd & 3rd gear whoops ( just enough to be fun, not enough to wear you out). We actually loop right by Ojos negros again then head back towards the coast. It's just a great ride with great conditions & great friends.

We pass a couple little schools and whatever kids are outside get all excited, waving, motioning for us to pop wheelies & twisting their wrists like they're on the throttle.

We reach a town to gas & grab a beer. We strip down a bit as it's very warm in the sun. As we're kicking back , Waldo says "No BS, this is the best group we have." He says we're all solid riders,fun pace, nobody lagging , no complaints and always having fun. Cool.

Back in the saddle, up thru the hills, more great miles. After a rocky uphill section we stopped to regroup and darned if Gail doesnt have a flat tire. Out come the tools & venison jerky and in @ 20 minutes Waldo & Felipe have the tube changed & all aired up.
    Name:  DSCF2063.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  3.87 MB

Shortly after this we reach the coast & pavement. A few miles north & we hit a taco stand for some fish tacos and once again I lose my heart to a pretty Mexican senorita.

Name:  DSCF2029.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  3.94 MB

Only a couple miles of backstreets & we are at the shop. A total of @ 7000 kilometers between us all & everyone is no worse for wear. Fist bumps, beers & SALUT!!

We change out of our gear and hop in the van. Waldo takes us up the coast

Name:  DSCF2067.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  3.20 MB

to Tijuana and before we hit the border we stop at a Costco so some of the boys can stock up on Don Julio.
    Name:  DSCF2069.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  3.95 MB

We walk across the border without issue Then Uber up to San Diego and back to the hotel we had at the start.

Next morning we do breakfast then Toby, Gail & Rick head to the airport as their flight is scheduled to leave @ 8. Actually it's 4 hours late but they get to the frozen tundra in one piece.

Tell & I head to the airport & I head for Montana & tell heads for Denver where Jenny is visiting friends.

It's sad to leave but it's good to get home. Another great adventure. Cant wait to go again!

Day 4 251 Kilometers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xtexRKs5_E&t=1s

BadAss Hooligan

Absolutely epic, Terry! You could take up writing if you ever get tired of building log homes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

Licensed to Mod

What a fantastic post!
    Thank you Sir for this, reminds me that there is so much more out there and life is beautiful!
    Safe ridding and have fun!

Kind regards,

Daryl

Weirdly Peculiar

A great adventure!

2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

BadAss Hooligan

Loved the story and the details!! Reminded me of younger years riding the fire roads near Newago Michigan with a group of about 8. What fun! Is this a yearly adventure you do? It sounds like way too much fun!!

In Charge of McGov Only

Great story, thanks for sharing.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Brians ZRX View Post
    Loved the story and the details!! Reminded me of younger years riding the fire roads near Newago Michigan with a group of about 8. What fun! Is this a yearly adventure you do? It sounds like way too much fun!!
    My brother has gone the last 5 years I think. Myself, the last 2. Dont know if I can swing it every year or not.

I just got back into dirtbikes after @ a 35 year hiatus. Cant believe the fun I'm having

We have met a few times down by Grand Junction & Moab for some riding & camping. That will definitely be a yearly thing.

Funny, when i got into the sportbike thing I had to unlearn some of the old dirtbike habits. Now I find the dirtbiking has really increased my feel & confidence on the sportbikes.

He is I

triton is disappointed logmaster was in san diego and didn't let triton know.

glad you got out of the frozen north for a little while.
    uuhh the other larry - rwynant 2009

remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday - dale carnegie

four time winner of the ZRXOA picture game

zrxoa #8603

05 zrx 1200r - ludicrous speed
    01 zrx 1200r - proof my wife loves me
    02 zrx 1200r - cause there is no substitute for torque
    03 zrx 1200r - triton's bride limits him to four
    95 HD sportster 883 - for the buzz

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    triton is disappointed logmaster was in san diego and didn't let triton know.

glad you got out of the frozen north for a little while.
    I'm disappointed I didnt think of you !!!!!

That wont happen again

Father Joe

Wonderful, huge and epic high adventure. Thanks for allowing us to share in it Terry.

Was hoping you might find your way to Mike's Sky Ranch. If it's still out there somewhere.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

If you want to waste more time here's a little clip of our Utah trip a couple years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCOqN17R3Y&t=2s

He is I

Quote Originally Posted by logmaster View Post
    I'm disappointed I didnt think of you !!!!!

That wont happen again
    triton forgives logmaster.
    uuhh the other larry - rwynant 2009

remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday - dale carnegie

four time winner of the ZRXOA picture game

zrxoa #8603

05 zrx 1200r - ludicrous speed
    01 zrx 1200r - proof my wife loves me
    02 zrx 1200r - cause there is no substitute for torque
    03 zrx 1200r - triton's bride limits him to four
    95 HD sportster 883 - for the buzz

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    triton forgives logmaster.

Mainely here

What a great trip!!

Born In The USA

An enjoyable write up and videos. I was on the edge of my seat on that long up hill! There was a spill waiting to happen every couple of seconds.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    An enjoyable write up and videos. I was on the edge of my seat on that long up hill! There was a spill waiting to happen every couple of seconds.
    origin of the term

controlled crash

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

Great stories / videos !

I was down there with a tour (Chris Haines) a few years ago. I'm not sure I have what it takes anymore to do it again. Those sand whoops killed me........

https://chrishaines.com/

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

BadAss Hooligan

I think they could be fun but having never ridden them other than a tiny bit there
    it's pretty hard to get good at them.

Which of those tours did you do?

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

Quote Originally Posted by logmaster View Post
    I think they could be fun but having never ridden them other than a tiny bit there
    it's pretty hard to get good at them.

Which of those tours did you do?

I did the 4 day. I think most of the ride is similar to what you guys did . Mike's Sky Ranch was pretty cool. The history / people who stayed there is incredible.

It looks like they changed it a bit since I did it. The loop then was Ensenada - San Felipe - Mike's Sky Ranch - Ensenada.
    https://chrishaines.com/4-day-baja-tours/

Name:  4-DAY-BAJA-MAP.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  42.8 KB

https://vimeo.com/manage/37498749/general

https://vimeo.com/manage/37640855/general

http://<iframe width="640" height="5...reen></iframe>

http://<iframe width="640" height="5...reen></iframe>

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

BadAss Hooligan

Yup, very similar.

Last year we hit Rancho Veronica. That was a highlight.