+ Reply to Thread

Thread: carb tuning?

Hold my Beer, I'll be right back

carb tuning?

So I'm in the middle off my winter maintenance, and the carbs are coming up on the list after I reassemble the forks and rebuild and paint the brake calipers. I'm just planning on taking them off and cleaning them.
    Keep spending my money on paint so I haven't picked up a full exhaust, but I'd like to eventually get one. Until then I've been playing with my bike on a budget, (Striping the paint and polishing the edges of the wheels, and engine side covers, some pinstriping on the tank and tail which I may change at some point. Kwick's rad radiator, ELS mounts, and blue Samco radiator hose, (which pretty much consumed my exhaust budget but they look awesome)

Anyways, when I bought the bike it came with a Pipe X can but he had a exhaust tip from autozone or wherever mounted on the end of the stock pipe. It didn't look bad, I was thinking about putting it on again. I took it off and put the can that was on the bike when the previous owner bought it (pipe x can) because the guy I bought it from never changed anything in the carburetors.
    I don't have a full grasp of the whole backpressure dynamic, I assumed if you changed the can it would change the backpressure somewhat and one would need to change the intake on the engine to adjust for the change in the exhaust.

If I was going to put that exhaust tip on would I need to change anything in the carburetors? Or would putting that tip on the exhaust not be a significant change.

Just curious if requires no change to the carbs or only a small adjustment I probably put the tip on, depending on how it looks when I get the bike back together. I'd just rather know If I'm going to make the change if any, while the carbs are off.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: carb tuning?

If the tip extension isn’t necked down to a smaller diameter, shouldn’t be a factor in carb jetting.

Since the tip isn’t on there and you’re thinking of putting it on, get the bike running and ride it back to back and see if there is any difference.
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1” risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40’s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

The tip is basically just a metal tube with a taper on the end so It actually slightly larger ID than the end of the stock exhaust. I had it on when I first bought the then eventually for the pipe x can after about a month. I only thing I noticed was the bike was slightly louder with the smaller tip, but I liked the look of and After polishing the rims and side covers I think itd look better than the pipe x can.

I'm just not willing to make the bike "look cool" at the expense of harming the engine.

but I'll try the back to back test ride to see again.

BadAss Hooligan

Good deal.
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1” risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40’s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

Color Monitor

If it still has that factory header, which it sounds like from your description, leave the carb jetting stock. The factory header is the biggest restriction on a ZRX. It really doesn't matter which can you run on the end of it. When you change the header you will need to re-jet the carbs.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

That's what I assumed but I just wanted to be certain

Bitches Be Krazy....
    What the HELL!!!!

you can remove the muffler on a stock pipe and its still the same , Its just a show piece that does nothing
    Team Short

2010 KTM RC8r 1198
    2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1224r (Green) Rocket --- MAY 2015 BOTM
    2001 Kawasaki zrx 1200r (Black) KCR Cafe Bike--- JULY 2015 BOTM
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX 1200r (Red)
    2005 Kawasaki ZX10R Track Bike
    2000 Honda XR650R ( Plated ) Dual Sport

Sprich nicht mit mir, du verrückter Mann!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Trigrnzrx View Post
    you can remove the muffler on a stock pipe and its still the same , Its just a show piece that does nothing
    True. I cut my stock muffler open, removed the guts and made it a strait through design (glass pack). No jetting change necessary.

Ken
    ZRXOA 7793
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

BadAss Hooligan

Can Change = No Jet Changes

Install Pods w/ Stock Exhaust = Jet Changes (Ping KWICK for details)
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Alright looks like I'll move forward with that then. But yeah I have pods and carbs were re jetted for that.