+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: V-strom

The Busa Cop

Re: V-strom

Is the ABS unit stand alone ? if so it might be the same unit on the Hayabusa . I deleted all ABS off the bird , and you could have the ABS off my bike if it fits your Storm

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

BadAss Hooligan

Wow, I appreciate that! I looked them up. They look somewhat similar but are different parts. I've received the one I bought online but haven't even opened the box yet. Gotta get past this work stint, then I'll dive in to replace it in the next few weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to get some new lines made up and bypass it altogether like yours. It's really the first big failure I've experienced on the Strom and that is after some tough miles put on it.
    Getting older, fatter, and faster!

The Busa Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Tee Bee View Post
    Wow, I appreciate that! I looked them up. They look somewhat similar but are different parts. I've received the one I bought online but haven't even opened the box yet. Gotta get past this work stint, then I'll dive in to replace it in the next few weeks. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to get some new lines made up and bypass it altogether like yours. It's really the first big failure I've experienced on the Strom and that is after some tough miles put on it.
    If you delete most likely the warning light will come on . Take the brown wire to ground for light shut off . The ABS is its own brain separate from ECU

https://youtu.be/CAyGQl0EzUs

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

BadAss Hooligan

Cool beans. Thanks!

Sheriff

Took the V-strom 1000 XT for a test ride.
    It had the lowered seat and suspension linkages. Still a tall bike for me though. Both feet down on tip toes.
    Nice bike though, ergonomicly ride position, mirrors, controls felt very comfortable. Didn't like the top of the screen being directly in eyeline though.
    Usual slick Suzuki gearbox but fuelling didn't seem as smooth as my old SV1000.
    I would have concerns about being top heavy loaded up with luggage, which at the end of the day is what it will be used for.
    Maybe the 650 might be a better bet for me.

t20p1 :- pronounced tango two zero papa one

BadAss Hooligan

When I was shopping for mine in 2012, I went to the dealer intending to make an offer on a 1000. I spent some time sitting on the one in the showroom, then sat on the 650 next to it for a while. They felt very similar but the 650 was a tad lighter. I then closed my eyes and imagined being above the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Hwy in the rain, slipping and sliding on the slimy muddy surface, almost 5000 miles from home, hundreds of miles from the nearest motorcycle shop, and the thought of the heavier bike began to be a great concern. I then purchased the 650. For that mission, it was the right choice for me. For most of the trips I've done since, the 650 has been adequate enough for the job, but I've longed for the extra oomph of the 1000 many times while loaded down on the highway or riding over steep mountain roads with other riders all on larger displacement machines. The last several years, I've ridden the 650 to and all over Colorado with my friend tagging along on a Ninja 1000, heavily loaded for the trip up and back, but stripped down lighter once camping in the mountains. I always feel like I'm holding him back on those high speed, long stretches out in west Texas. I have to keep my speed in check to maintain reasonable fuel mileage. Once up in the mountains, with all my junk unloaded, poor Rob can't stay with me on those twisty roads! VStroms actually handle pretty well in the tight stuff! Since he has become a regular traveling partner, I think about the 1000 more often. When I was traveling on my own everywhere, it rarely crossed my mind. You mentioned the top-heaviness. That was a big thing for me as well when I was shopping. Every potential adventure bike on my list I sat on was tall and top heavy. It's a byproduct of having longer, compliant suspension throw. I honestly just adjusted to it over time. Heck, the comfy Russell seat I had made even raised the height up another inch or two. I adapted by either moving forward and sliding over the the side to put one foot fully down, as required on modern tall offroad bikes, or just putting my toes down at stops. Careful planning as a stop approaches is necessary. It eventually becomes normal and you just manage it instinctively. Many of my cruiser riding friends have sat on my Strom and asked how I ride such a tall bike. Some of them are taller than me but they've never ridden tall dirtbikes in the past, so it's just odd to them. Anyway, with all the history and bonding I now have with my 650, it's very difficult to consider parting with it and having to start modding a new 1000 to match my needs. Heck, just the travel decals all over it make me want to keep it forever.....until I ride over a fast smooth hard-packed dirt road in the mountains with a pack of GS 1200s and VStrom 1000s.

Sheriff

How did you find original seat comfort Tee Bee?

t20p1 :- pronounced tango two zero papa one

Screwed

Here's mine.........waiting for May 2020.........dreamtrip to Alaska and Back to B'ham. We have an Eastern Vstrom Rally every year in May at the Iron Horse Lodge/Campground in Stecoah, NC....just 20 minutes from the Dragon and Cherry-Cola Skyway. Attendance is anywhere from 50 to 100, not all riding vstroms....which is fine with us. No Hooligans to speak of, a more laid-back group.......kinda like the bike itself. Reminds of the "girl next door".....

Name:  P5080007.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  2.35 MB
    Last edited by mark 444; 02-20-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    I've screwed over 13,233 ZRXOA members in the past.......who's next in line??
    See "Products Made by Members" Forum (SS Engine/Body Bolt Kit).....ROK Straps & now ROK Dog Leashes, SOXz Moto-socks, Jacket Caddys.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by t20p1 View Post
    How did you find original seat comfort Tee Bee?
    Sorry to say that my butt burned within an hour on my first ride on the stock seat. The Russell Daylong Saddle transformed it comfortwise as mentioned above. The stock shield also buffeted my helmet badly on the highway. I switched to a Givi Airflow to help smooth things out. Once I got past the teething pains with some decent accessories, she became a great traveler.

Mark, if your Alaska trip is only half as much fun as mine was, you're in for one of the greatest experiences of your life! I still think about my trip every single day.

Screwed

You are right, Tee Bee..........most vstrom owners complain about the seat #1, and the "wind buffeting" problem as #2.......which never really bothered me that much, but I did change over to a GIVI screen due to its height. It lets me ride with my eyes looking right over the top edge of the screen, but I can squat down alittle if I want to get fully behind it during rain or cold. The seat I have is a Sargent Re-Do........when Sargent "use-to" take your original seat and rework it. It seems to work pretty good for me. I tried the Gel seats, which worked better than the OEM seat, butt not as good as my Sargent. I have lots of farkles, some not seen.........using the Pelican Knock-offs from SAM's Club for panniers........installed a Scott's Damper, Akro Full Exhaust, HYDE racing skidplate, yadda, yadda. I have an SV1000 (or DL1000....they are the same) oil cooler that I might install in place of the smaller 650 cooler (650 cooler is 4 rows, 1000 cooler is 5 rows).......I figured the extra cooling could not hurt down south here. SV Racing front brake mod, Goldwing footpegs (yes, I like the width.....and they are actually about 1/4" lower than OEM), RRick's footpeg lowering kit, Eastern Beaver stuff too. The mod list goes on and on.......just like on a ZRX.
    I've screwed over 13,233 ZRXOA members in the past.......who's next in line??
    See "Products Made by Members" Forum (SS Engine/Body Bolt Kit).....ROK Straps & now ROK Dog Leashes, SOXz Moto-socks, Jacket Caddys.

BadAss Hooligan

Yeah, my list of farkles is very long like yours. I'd hate to try to list them all off the top of my head now. It's funny that I've probaby made more little changes to this bike than any of the others I've owned but none of be changes were to improve the looks or to make it faster. Everything was focused on better comfort, durability, and reliability. Heck, my engine is bone stock and even runs the stock exhaust since it's not uncommon to pack up in a campground and leave out before sunup while trying not to wake everyone else. Something I've noticed on my Strom compared to my other machines is that it needs very little maintenance, but when it's time to work on it, getting to everything can be a real pain. The plastic bodywork is much more difficult to remove than any Kawi I've owned. Adjusting the valves was a pretty involved process since it's a 90deg twin. The whole front of the bike has to come apart to access the cams and the rear cam chain tensioner bolts are nearly impossible to get to until you figure out how to connect lots of ratchet extensions on a swivel and use lots of patience. Luckily, all that stuff comes up pretty seldom. My ABS unit issue is really the first major unexpected failure I've experienced with it. Tons of folks had stator failures on my model and I was getting nervous about it but it ended up getting upgraded with a recall. She ain't very pretty to look at and isn't very exciting to ride, lacking the soul and character of other bikes I've enjoyed but she's like a magic carpet. I load her up, climb aboard, and sit in comfort listening to my itunes set on shuffle in my helmet for long hours while she whisks me off to any beautiful and exotic place I can imagine that's accessible by even the crappiest of roads. The beauty of the VStrom is in the way it does these things. I don't sit around staring at it much, admiring it's lines the way I do my Z900RS Cafe. Now that's a machine I love to stare at, but I wouldn't ride it to Alaska.

Hooligan

Ive been thinking of a smaller bike thats good on dirt also. Will probably have to wait till I retire( 4 yrs?) So many beautiful places to go/see when you get off the tar. A wee-strom, 650 Versys or the Royal Enfield 400 all seem just about right.

Slip and Slide

Quote Originally Posted by salnap View Post
    Scratch that. I'm looking at a Versys instead
    Name:  20190213_070101.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  608.9 KB

BadAss Hooligan

Scratch that. I'm looking at a Versys instead.....
    Did you pull the trigger?
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Slip and Slide

Yes. 09 650, 10k miles, twobros pipe, juice box, custom cowl rash....$2k
    Last edited by salnap; 02-28-2019 at 01:20 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Did you pull the trigger?
    Yes. 09, 10k miles, twobros pipe, juice box, custom cowl rash....$2k
    Name:  Thumbs Up 03.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  105.3 KB

Keep us updated on your opinions of the Versys. I've been thinking about adding one to my garage.
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Slip and Slide

Solid motor. Same as the ninja 650r. My son had one, i put plenty of miles on that

Hooligan

Recently got back into riding after a 2 year absence. Purchased a new 2018 VStrom 1000 XT for roughly $3k under MSRP. So far I love the bike. The gearing is "different". Seems like it could use different sprockets until I am on the highway running 70 mph or higher then I am happy with the lower rpm's. Plenty of low end torque. Am averaging right at 50 mpg. Handles decent, good ergonomics for a old guy like me. Might be the first bike I bought in 25 years that will not require a handlebar riser. Now that I am back into riding am lusting for a Z900RS as well.
    Attached Images  
    2018 Suzuki VStrom 1000 XT