+ Reply to Thread

Thread: V-strom

Hybrid View

Sheriff

V-strom

Anyone got one or had one, 650 or 1000?
    Thinking of getting into the adventure bike scene. And these seem to have a good price mark for a first look.
    They were fugly but the new models look ok to my eyes.

t20p1 :- pronounced tango two zero papa one

BadAss Hooligan

Re: V-strom

I know that the 1000's are stone cold reliable. There's a documented case where a guy rode approx. 450,000 miles on one before retiring it. I talked to a Suzuki rep at VIR years ago that confirmed at the time he had over 300,000 miles and continued rockin' on down the road.
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Father Joe

Out there in bike world there is possibly one. Just one bike that is more reliable and has MORE mods available for it than the ZRX. The DL1000 V Strom. The Wee Strom 650 is prolly not far behind it.

Full disclosure: I've not owned a DL1000 or 650. Have known adventure type guys who have and who are mod whores. They've loved them. You can also ping mark 444 here on the board. He had a Wee Strom and has run for years and years with a V Strom crowd.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

The 400,000 mile K3 DL1000 V-Strom

The owners write up.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-400-000-mile-k3-dl1000-v-strom.1136108/

G
    oogle Search on the subject.
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...pe=&as_rights=
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

I used to be....

I have a 2014 DL1000, wouldn't say I get excited about looking at it like I do the ZRX but it's a great bike. Similar weight and power as the ZRX but carries it differently. Made a few tweaks and really enjoy riding.

BANNED

It that I work at a bike shop and am a Kawi fan, it I got AVD bike it would be a V-Strom. Find somebody in Europe and get KLE1000 parts and make it a Kawi.

CarlM

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Out there in bike world there is possibly one. Just one bike that is more reliable and has MORE mods available for it than the ZRX. The DL1000 V Strom. The Wee Strom 650 is prolly not far behind it.

Full disclosure: I've not owned a DL1000 or 650. Have known adventure type guys who have and who are mod whores. They've loved them. You can also ping mark 444 here on the board. He had a Wee Strom and has run for years and years with a V Strom crowd.
    I hope an SV is more dependable. No chain issue? no blow up if it falls down? No cam issues?

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

BadAss Hooligan

Had a 2003 DL1000, dang good bike! Actually traded it to get my ZRX1200 because the DL was NASTY with the way wind blast buffeted my head. I think I tried the most combinations of windscreens and spoiler lips (made some of my own too) known to the Stromtroopers forum at that time. Donít make a Madstad for the pre-2004.

Gen I 2004 and above Suzuki changed the windscreen mounting and Madstad brackets helped with that massive problem a good bit.

I would not hesitate to look at a Gen II DL 1000 like you are mentioning.
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1Ē risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40ís@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

RIP 4/11/19

I have 2 friends with V-strom 1000's. They are super reliable. The Toyota Corolla of bikes. In more ways than one...
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.