+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chinese Guages

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Chinese Guages

I had a bad experience with chinese replacement parts for gauges. As a whole unit they'll probably work.
    One concern is the quality of the plastic face covers. I'll bet they scratch easy and get milky from sun exposure pretty quickly.

Hooligan

Gauges have arrived! Ordered on Jan 4th, arrived on Feb 12th. Now to remove fairing and taped-up old gauge cluster and see if the bracket fits!

The shell behind the gauges is chrome, and the panel with the neutral light etc is black. And the speedo goes to 255kph, the tach to 16,000rpm...

avtech3d

Kool. Hook em up, and snap a pic.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

Hooligan

Oh-kay... I have the old speedometer installed in the new gauge cluster. The mounts and the way the thing goes together are the same as OE. The tach will NOT fit, mounts differently. So now I have a ZRX400 tach, I guess, with a higher redline, a line I never approach anyway. I chose to use the black cover over the new gauge cluster and the black panel with the neutral light etc. There's a brown wire coming out of one of those two plugs that is not attached to anything. I'll see if something that's supposed to light up does not. After I've reinstalled the cluster and started the bike, I'll report again...

Hooligan

The gauges are installed and everything seems to work. My old tach, as I think I said, wouldn't mount on the new white instrument base. The old tach seems to indicate the correct rpm but has the wrong redline. All the lights, neutral, high beam, turnsignals and the two lights in the tach...all seem to work. I wish the tach had worked but what the hell. So... I have: a stock tach, a cracked white instrument base with the wiring intact, a cracked and taped up instrument cover and bezel, and a perfectly good, brand new chrome double dome for behind the gauges. Plus lots of little screws and washers from the old cluster. I don't know how a guy would ship the tach, but it is not useful to me so you can have it if you can tell me how to package it, and someone can have all that hardware, for whatever purpose. Oh, the black bracket that mounts the instruments to the bike is the same as OE. I have the new one. Let me know via this thread if you want any of this stuff. I'm in Denver. Merlin, can you use any of this?

avtech3d

Excellent report!

Sent you a PM about the leftovers.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by mhershonzrx View Post
    The gauges are installed and everything seems to work. My old tach, as I think I said, wouldn't mount on the new white instrument base. The old tach seems to indicate the correct rpm but has the wrong redline. All the lights, neutral, high beam, turnsignals and the two lights in the tach...all seem to work. I wish the tach had worked but what the hell. So... I have: a stock tach, a cracked white instrument base with the wiring intact, a cracked and taped up instrument cover and bezel, and a perfectly good, brand new chrome double dome for behind the gauges. Plus lots of little screws and washers from the old cluster. I don't know how a guy would ship the tach, but it is not useful to me so you can have it if you can tell me how to package it, and someone can have all that hardware, for whatever purpose. Oh, the black bracket that mounts the instruments to the bike is the same as OE. I have the new one. Let me know via this thread if you want any of this stuff. I'm in Denver. Merlin, can you use any of this?
    Maybe you can change the gauge faces and get your old redline back. As long as the mounting screws line up, you should be good.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Hooligan

Arash, I think I extended myself as far as I feel comfortable without trying to change gauge faces. I can live with an incorrect redline. It appears that the tach reads correctly, so I'm happy. And now I have chrome bezels on my gauges!

avtech3d

I now a guy that changed the redline on the tach face with a sticker.

Get some red adhesive vinyl at a craft store, and make a triangle shape to size. Then stick it on the face.

Sounds like they will mount, connect, and work, which answers the question.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by mhershonzrx View Post
    Arash, I think I extended myself as far as I feel comfortable without trying to change gauge faces. I can live with an incorrect redline. It appears that the tach reads correctly, so I'm happy. And now I have chrome bezels on my gauges!
    If you ever do feel up to the challenge of changing gauge faces etc and delving a little deeper into the clocks......here is a post I put up on my 2005 ZRX "makeover" build thread which should cover all you need to know...
    http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...=1#post4660040

BG Wells.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

Hooligan

BG, I took a look at the how-to-change-faces instructions and I feel that I would be far out of my comfort range trying to do it. Thanks for sending that link. I didn't know it could be done!

Hooligan

After the first ride with the new gauge cluster with the new tach and my old speedo:

My fuel gauge drops to the E when I shut the key off. My old fuel gauge would keep indicating the fuel level, even with the key turned off.

My tach reads 1500rpm at idle, the same idle that had my old tach reading 1,000rpm. I still see 5,000rpm at a speedo 80. That's correct, right?

Otherwise, everything works just as it always did. Ah, but I have chrome bezels around the tach and speedo!

Last week was the first week this winter that I was not able to ride here in Denver. Good to get out today!

avtech3d

That sounds correct to me. The fuel gauge thing is weird, but shouldn't be a concern if it's reading ok when bike is running.

Did you try to swap the fuel.gauge?

As far as changing faces, the scale will need to remain the same. If you were to use our ZRX tach face, the pointer would be pointing at the wrong number. The only option would be to get a custom 400 face with the 10K redline. Prolly not worth the effort.
    Last edited by avtech2; 02-13-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

avtech3d

Great info here on the tray differences.

Can the light cover, (turn, neutral, high beam), with round hole, be swapped with a slotted one?
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    Great info here on the tray differences.

Can the light cover, (turn, neutral, high beam), with round hole, be swapped with a slotted one?
    I tossed the round-hole cover and used my stock cover. Everything looked factory.
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    That sounds correct to me. The fuel gauge thing is weird, but shouldn't be a concern if it's reading ok when bike is running.

Did you try to swap the fuel.gauge?

As far as changing faces, the scale will need to remain the same. If you were to use our ZRX tach face, the pointer would be pointing at the wrong number. The only option would be to get a custom 400 face with the 10K redline. Prolly not worth the effort.
    I didn't. The fuel gauge LOOKS the same, but it works a little differently. I think you're right: It won't matter if it reads okay.

avtech3d

Thanks guys. This info actually helps a lot.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

Hooligan

One or two more observations about the Chinese gauges:

1. The fuel gauge needle goes WAY over to the right when you fill the tank. I'd never seen my old needle go that far.

2. The Chinese tach is not as steady as my OE one. At a steady 5000rpm, it'll drop 500rpm and then go back to 5000, then drop again. It's not awful, but it's not as good as OE.

3. The bulbs behind the colored lenses in the panel with the neutral light, turn signal lights etc are not very bright. If I were gonna take off the gauge cluster again, I'd get brighter bulbs.

Considering the price of the Chinese gauge cluster compared to prices of individual pieces from online suppliers, the Chinese unit is a bargain. It's not wonderful, but it IS a bargain.