+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    florida

    Question for C14 connie owners

    I have a 2017 C14 connie. I love this bike but hate the way dealers gouge you for service. I noticed that on each handlebar there is what looks like a mini zerk fitting with a cap on each one. I am assuming these are for lubing the cables.
    Does anyone have a special fitting to go these fittings and the correct lube ??? Thanks in advance for any awnsers.
    kindly
    green & mean

  2. #2
    The Busa Cop
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tx

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Wow now I think you need to close the tool box , and step away slowly . I had to think for a minute to picture what you were saying existed.
    Those would be Dot 4 brake fluid bleed ports for service . If you pump grease in there get ready for a big bill at the dealer .



    It no longer matters how fast I once was .

    Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.


    c10, I love Ewe

  3. #3
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    florida

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Thanks so much !!! I needed the info.. This is the only bike that I have owned that has had such a thing on the handlebars.. Thanks again I never do anything without asking questions !! well I did put to heavy weight gear oil in my shaft drive but drained it without ever riding it. Many thanks my friend.
    kindly
    green&mean

  4. #4
    Father Joe
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Burpinham, Babalama

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Quote Originally Posted by c10 View Post
    Wow now I think you need to close the tool box , and step away slowly . I had to think for a minute to picture what you were saying existed.
    Those would be Dot 4 brake fluid bleed ports for service . If you pump grease in there get ready for a big bill at the dealer .
    Yup. In some people's perfect world all hydraulic front brakes would bleed at the TOP of the system. And not at the bottom at the caliper.

    I would like to 2nd Bryan's nomination for Weld The Tool Box Shut.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

    The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

    Kwackifoofoo

  5. #5
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryville, TN

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Hey, at least he asked before opening the tool box!
    Don't be afraid to ask any questions green & mean, we all weren't born with a 10mm in our hand.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

    WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

  6. #6
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    florida

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    LOL !! I love you guys here, its all good. God knows I am far from perfect ! Hell just ask my wife. Never been much of a wrench but I did build a 11 second chevy once... bla bla !! I have had just shy of 100 motorcycles in my life time but always had close buds to keep me out of trouble. I love to ride, wrench, not so much. Good thing too.. Thanks again. Humor among friends is always cool even if it gets a bit cruel at times, but I am a big boy and ai can take it !!
    I love this forum and the folks which make it up !
    kindly
    green&mean

  7. #7
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alameda, Ca

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Yes, that "zerk" is to bleed from the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder.

    I have found on my bike that if you let your bike sit for a couple of months then a small air pocket may form there,
    sympton is no pressure when squeezing the clutch lever. A quick burp and all is well again.

  8. #8
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    florida

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Pretty cool feature on a rather old school bike with no throttle by wire or other such things. I love the connie almost as much as I love the rex in my garage !! thanks for all the input. I love learning new stuff... have a lock on the tool box now !! LOL

  9. #9
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryville, TN

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    By todays standards the C14 might seem old school but a short ten years ago it was probably the only sport-tourer with ram air, variable valve timing, tire pressure sensors, keyless fob, etc. Even today they are still one heck of a great bike.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

    WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

  10. #10
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    florida

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Quote Originally Posted by oldkawboy View Post
    By todays standards the C14 might seem old school but a short ten years ago it was probably the only sport-tourer with ram air, variable valve timing, tire pressure sensors, keyless fob, etc. Even today they are still one heck of a great bike.
    Dan
    Come this feb 19th I will have had ny 2017 connie for one year. My good friend bought a BMW 1600 about the same time. His Hi Tech bike has been back to the dealer 4 different times for various times for problems, mostly due to all the tech stuff on the bike. Don't get me wrong I have rode the bike and it is sweet but I could not live with the problems and the head aches.
    Compared to his bike my Kaw is old school but I know what you mean.

    Same guy has a Gold wing, lots of tech there too but less problems. For the money I am more than pleased with my connie. I keep hearing the rumor that the connie may be discontinued and that would be ashame as the bike just plain works. A little bit too much plastic for me but that is kind of a plus too when it comes to keeping heat off the rider.

    Killer package all and all... I hear people complain about the lack of cruise control but for me its just not a problem as I am an old fart !! Thanks again for all the input here.
    green&mean

  11. #11
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kansas

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    The C14 is pretty tech as well and the ABS seems sensitive to the age of the brake fluid. I will be installing speed bleeders on mine and flushing the whole system this spring.
    Thou shall accelerate.

    2014 Concours
    2006 KLR 685
    2004 1200 ZRX

  12. #12
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    cincinnati

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Quote Originally Posted by green&mean View Post
    Come this feb 19th I will have had ny 2017 connie for one year. My good friend bought a BMW 1600 about the same time. His Hi Tech bike has been back to the dealer 4 different times for various times for problems, mostly due to all the tech stuff on the bike. Don't get me wrong I have rode the bike and it is sweet but I could not live with the problems and the head aches.
    Compared to his bike my Kaw is old school but I know what you mean.

    Same guy has a Gold wing, lots of tech there too but less problems. For the money I am more than pleased with my connie. I keep hearing the rumor that the connie may be discontinued and that would be ashame as the bike just plain works. A little bit too much plastic for me but that is kind of a plus too when it comes to keeping heat off the rider.

    Killer package all and all... I hear people complain about the lack of cruise control but for me its just not a problem as I am an old fart !! Thanks again for all the input here.
    green&mean
    I bought my C14 on February 20 2012
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

    " That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

    ZRXOA# 8746

  13. #13
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    03076 / 33917

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    wait until you see what it takes to do a valve check....

    the cams have to come out of the bike.

    it is an all day job.... and then some.

    People say doing the ZRX is time consuming.... it is nothing compared to a C14

  14. #14
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kansas

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    I thought the ZRX was super easy since you don't have to remove the cams. Good thing I have about 14K to go before I tear into the Connie. Even if it takes a day its quality time.
    Thou shall accelerate.

    2014 Concours
    2006 KLR 685
    2004 1200 ZRX

  15. #15
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryville, TN

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Quote Originally Posted by Neggy View Post
    wait until you see what it takes to do a valve check....

    the cams have to come out of the bike.

    I'm thinking the cams only need to be removed to adjust the valves, the clearances can be checked with the cams in place.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

    WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

  16. #16
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    cincinnati

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Quote Originally Posted by oldkawboy View Post
    I'm thinking the cams only need to be removed to adjust the valves, the clearances can be checked with the cams in place.
    Dan
    Yes that is correct
    Shims are under the bucket that are under the cams , Wish they would have made it like the ZRX .
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

    " That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

    ZRXOA# 8746

  17. #17
    BadAss Hooligan
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Maryville, TN

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    That's the way my ZX14 is, I didn't think the VVT made any difference.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

    WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

  18. #18
    CRACKERMAN
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nanticoke, PA

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    I did it.

    Zrx shims are the same size but you won't have any small enough.

    Prepare to order shims and leave the bike apart for a week or two
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.
    #8905

  19. #19
    CRACKERMAN
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nanticoke, PA

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    See?
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.
    #8905

  20. #20
    Hooligan
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Kansas

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    I have a shim kit for the ZRX and that is good info that the clearances will be tight. I've seen that more than one person has said the clearances are set tight from the factory. When I checked my Rex 15/16 were out of spec and not having to remove the cams was nice compared to other Kawasaki bikes I've had.
    Thou shall accelerate.

    2014 Concours
    2006 KLR 685
    2004 1200 ZRX

  21. #21
    CRACKERMAN
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Nanticoke, PA

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Quote Originally Posted by mirage642 View Post
    I have a shim kit for the ZRX and that is good info that the clearances will be tight. I've seen that more than one person has said the clearances are set tight from the factory. When I checked my Rex 15/16 were out of spec and not having to remove the cams was nice compared to other Kawasaki bikes I've had.
    I'm saying you won't be able to use those shims.
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.
    #8905

  22. #22
    Weirdly Peculiar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Where am I?

    Re: Question for C14 connie owners

    Quote Originally Posted by mirage642 View Post
    I have a shim kit for the ZRX and that is good info that the clearances will be tight. I've seen that more than one person has said the clearances are set tight from the factory. When I checked my Rex 15/16 were out of spec and not having to remove the cams was nice compared to other Kawasaki bikes I've had.
    ZRX shims work but as mentioned most have been thinner. And there are half sizes available in the C14 parts database. Don't believe everything you hear, or read on the internet. I've done about 8-9 valve adjusts on C14's, none were "mostly" tight from the factory. The 70,000 mile bike that had never been adjusted was "mostly" tight.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

    2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

    "A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

    He who is right all the time is never always right.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.7
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.
vBulletin 4.0 skin by CompleteVB