+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BadAss Hooligan

Re: Optima batteries

Just received this offer from Advance Auto Parts. It includes car batteries as well.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  69.4 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

CarlM

East Penn is the other company. I THINK that Jonson makes a lot of O.E. batteries. I THINK Exide makes a lot of store brands. I THINK East Penn is "bargain" Any store can sell from any manufacture. Depends on price range. There is a code on the battery who made it. Never know what your gonna get. I've oe go ten years.

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

CarlM

Advanced took over car Quest. I get 25% or more anyway. But list price is B.S. Anyway. No one pays that except the end user of an INSLALLED part. All my batteries come from CQ. The shop sometimes gets a better price on Delco branded from a different store.

Mongo like candy

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

I did call Interstate Corporate this morning. I spoke to a female and explained my experience to her with our local Interstate dealer.

She was quite upset that one of their dealers reacted the way they did. I made it very clear to her that I didn't go to the dealer expecting a new battery for free. I told her that I was very willing to pay my portion of the pro-rated use.

I went on to tell her that I was thinking about going to NAPA for a new battery. She told me that if I did, have them test the Interstate battery and get a report in writing. If it was bad, Interstate would send me a check for the remaining portion of the warranty.

I told her that it wasn't necessary to do that, as the battery was closing in on it's 3 yr. warranty. I just wanted Interstate to know about my experience with one of their dealers.

She took down all the pertinent information and said that she would pass it on to the district manager for this region. Before I do go to NAPA, I'll wait until later this week to do so, just in case Interstate decides to contact me.
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

Born In The USA

I could ask whatever money I wanted (within reason) for parts. I kept price sheets in my catalogue rack. There is a White (List), Gray (off the street), Yellow (dealer), green (stocking dealer), pink (distributor), blue (our cost). We sold at Dealer to anyone that didn't have an attitude problem. Usually, I was the one with the attitude.

When we went to computers, the customer's price was programmed in, but could be overridden.

I much preferred a catalogue, as the customer often didn't know what he was working on, and I could reason it out by looking at the year before or after, as they were right next to each other on the page. Then I could show him a picture of the different parts in the Buyer's Guide. I would use the Buyer's Guide to find parts that would work for custom applications, like a power steering hose used in an engine swap. I have asked to see the buyers guide at a store, and the guy just looked blank.

The Camaro and the Van both had oversized radiators I found in the buyer's guide. I had heating issues with both of them after buying the "HD" radiators listed. Small mods to make them fit.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

CarlM

Off subject but...I knew a guy with plenty of money butt was in some ways a cheap ass. He bought two, or had sponsored, Optima batteries for a derby car. so the car didn't start once and he lost a derby. HE SAID the battery tested good. (the charger indicated so). I said they are holding a charge. Took them in and had tested. The store said they were good. He lost another derby for no start. I said the battery was no good. Took it bad. Tested good. I told him don't charge it. I took my load tester on it and It failed foe me. He took it back to the store and they . Oh look. a hole got poked in it at the derdy all the shit ran out of one cell.

Mongo like candy

BadAss Hooligan

Optima battery's are a dry cell spiral wound battery there is no shit to run out.
    They are also heavy as fuck they weigh about twice what a lead acid battery does. I ran them in my rock crawling buggy's for year's
    only because they will take a beating unlike a lead acid battery.

CarlM

some gray shit ran out. Not liquid. what ever. There was a hole in the bottom. The battery didn't work. They didn't load test it right

Mongo like candy

All I Want To Do Is A Zoom - Zoom

this has nothing to do with batteries but i raise a glass to your wifes choice of vehicle. i love my Honda Element! i cant remember which battery i am using in my car
    Attached Images  
    There's nothing to fear but fear itself

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by REXNFX View Post
    this has nothing to do with batteries but i raise a glass to your wifes choice of vehicle. i love my Honda Element! i cant remember which battery i am using in my car

Initially, she thought they were about as ugly as ugly could get. Ours is a 2006 and we bought it used in Dec. of 2009 and it had 32K miles on it.

It was on a Chev. / Honda lot. The dealer let us take it home over a weekend to try it out. Once she got used to it and drove it, she pretty much fell in love with it.

Funny thing! We pretty much only see adults driving them. I'm talking mature adults, as in older. We've talked to other owners and have never heard anything negative about them.

Our's now has about 105K miles on it, and it's been very dependable and trouble free. For a little 4-banger of an engine, it'll cruise down the highway at 90 or so, all day long.

It'll also hold a full-sized big / tall man's recliner in the rear cargo area.

Two wheeled FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by zuki dave View Post
    Optima battery's are a dry cell spiral wound battery there is no shit to run out.
    They are also heavy as fuck they weigh about twice what a lead acid battery does. I ran them in my rock crawling buggy's for year's
    only because they will take a beating unlike a lead acid battery.
    not "dry" they are AGM - absorbed glass matt - like the stock ZRX battery (plates vs spiral cells).

I had good luck with the two Optima batteries I have had over the years - 10+ years of life from both (one might still be going strong for all I know).

PM me for great prices on Íhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

BadAss Hooligan

I've had this 3 years, knock on wood.

Name:  51aKnNymeYL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  28.1 KB

TMZ of the ZRXOA

I have an Odyssey battery in my BMW m/c. It'll be 7 yrs. old later this month. It's working like a charm.

I called Odyssey Battery yesterday, and had a good, long, talk with one of their techs. Their batteries are designed to last 12 yrs.

No dealer here in my area though. Otherwise, I'd go look at one for my wife's Honda Element.

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Initially, she thought they were about as ugly as ugly could get. Ours is a 2006 and we bought it used in Dec. of 2009 and it had 32K miles on it.

It was on a Chev. / Honda lot. The dealer let us take it home over a weekend to try it out. Once she got used to it and drove it, she pretty much fell in love with it.

Funny thing! We pretty much only see adults driving them. I'm talking mature adults, as in older. We've talked to other owners and have never heard anything negative about them.

Our's now has about 105K miles on it, and it's been very dependable and trouble free. For a little 4-banger of an engine, it'll cruise down the highway at 90 or so, all day long.

It'll also hold a full-sized big / tall man's recliner in the rear cargo area.

this is the 2nd one I have owned. The first one I only got rid of because I prefer a Manual Transmission over the Automatic. My current one has 217K miles. Just make sure that you perform the valve adjustment on it. that is supposed to be done at 110K miles. I don't think mine had ever been done. I bought it with 158K miles. at a little over 200K miles, I had them checked and they were quite tight.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

this is the 2nd one I have owned. The first one I only got rid of because I prefer a Manual Transmission over the Automatic. My current one has 217K miles. Just make sure that you perform the valve adjustment on it. that is supposed to be done at 110K miles. I don't think mine had ever been done. I bought it with 158K miles. at a little over 200K miles, I had them checked and they were quite tight.

Yeah, I'm good to go. Had new spark plugs installed and the valves adjusted just before it hit 95K miles.

Also had both air bags (driver side / passenger side) replaced at Honda's expense, due to recalls. Just recently had it in for a new serpentine belt, transmission service, and new brake fluid.

We have a great local private service shop not even 1/2 mile from where we live. They do excellent work and are a lot less than a Honda dealership would charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dano View Post
    Yeah, I'm good to go. Had new spark plugs installed and the valves adjusted just before it hit 95K miles.

Also had both air bags (driver side / passenger side) replaced at Honda's expense, due to recalls. Just recently had it in for a new serpentine belt, transmission service, and new brake fluid.

We have a great local private service shop not even 1/2 mile from where we live. They do excellent work and are a lot less than a Honda dealership would charge.
    sounds like you are golden! except for the battery, that is

TMZ of the ZRXOA

sounds like you are golden! except for the battery, that is

Yeah, that's gonna be resolved by the end of the week.

TMZ of the ZRXOA

Well, it's a done deal, and it pays to do some research.

I went to the Costco website to take a look at their batteries. They stocked the same exact battery my wife's car has in it. So.....I went and bought another Interstate Battery........just not from our local dedicated Interstate dealer.

I went and picked it up, and I left with a new Interstate Battery in hand and out the door, for under $80.00. It has the same exact performance specs as the battery I took in. The Costco service tech guy told me that it has a 3.5 year, bring it back for any reason, no questions asked, full warranty. He said that as far as Costco is concerned, a battery is either good or bad. Period! There is no gray area. Bring it back within the 3.5 years, and you will get a new battery.

The Interstate Battery that was in my wife's car, was purchased in Jan.of 2016. It cost $135.00, and that included a $10.00 install fee. I wasn't home at the time, cause I was in Spokane, helping to care for my elderly father. She called me to tell me that battery in her car was acting up. I told her to go to the Interstate dealer in our area. That will never happen again.

When the Interstate battery in my truck goes bad, I'll be going back to Costco.

https://costco.interstatebatteries.....257&Country=US
    Last edited by dano; 01-24-2019 at 06:26 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Now that's much more like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Born In The USA

I bought one for the Buick there.

In other news, The ZX10 did not spin over well at the cold start when we went riding yesterday. It seems happy today, but I pulled the cables and put 'em back in the process of checking it out. The tractor really liked the cable clean-up the other day.

I got out the manual and read how I always do it wrong when I buy a motorcycle battery and put the acid in. What do they know?!

It says to leave the acid draining into the battery for 20 minutes. Ain't nobody got time foe dat!

It says to let it sit for one hour to let the electrolyte soak into the plates before charging or testing. It says it may shorten the battery life if I don't. Ain't nobody got time foe dat either!

Just thought I would share a couple of ideas Mama Kaw says we should do. I didn't listen to Mom too well when I was young, but as I got older, she got smarter.
    Last edited by Cadman; 01-24-2019 at 11:00 PM.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

Costco is great for batteries and tires
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s