+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    President of the ZRXOA

Re: AV80Rís random aircraft thread

Ken. That stinks about the Super Fli, but looking forward to the Zlin build.

The high aspect ratio wing is a stunner. I saw one on the ramp at Calaveras yesterday when we picked up our new (to us) Citabria!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by kenh View Post

The Zlin 526 series is a very interesting as it is available in many configurations.

Ken

Attachment 304333
    Will this one have skis?
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Here's an engine for you Arash....:teeth:

I suddenly have the hots for a small aircraft turbine or rotary engine...
    "Enjoy the ride!"

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Ken. That stinks about the Super Fli, but looking forward to the Zlin build.

The Super Fli will continue, just on hold for the moment. I just made up my mind I need to at least get the airframe of the Zlin finished. It is my first love after all!!!

The high aspect ratio wing is a stunner. I saw one on the ramp at Calaveras yesterday when we picked up our new (to us) Citabria!
    Didn't happen with out pictures!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Will this one have skis?
    ​NO, no skis but it will have retractable LG. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody did fiit a set sometime in history. If they can put skis on a DC3, they certainly can put a set on a Zlin.

Ken
    ZRXOA 7793
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

President of the ZRXOA

AV80Rís random aircraft thread

1960 Lake Buccaneer Amphibian

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

President of the ZRXOA

My buddy painted his Extra and I thought you guys might like the scheme and color!

President of the ZRXOA

Questair Spirit

Spotted at a local airport. Take the huge IO-550 Continental and strap it to the smallest airframe possible to carry 2 humans and a little baggage. 240 knot cruise.

President of the ZRXOA

Compressed Natural Gas powered Husky

Clean little Cessna 140

Helped a friend with a few things on the Gipsy Major engine on his Tiger Moth.

President of the ZRXOA

Schweizer 300 ride with a buddy today. I got to fly it around, and itís a hoot...probably my favorite helicopter.

https://youtu.be/uuK58K0z8ws

President of the ZRXOA

This photo from 2011 of me and my 1948 Aeronca Sedan popped up in my Facebook memories today.

You guys can see I have had the disease long before I joined the ZRXOA

President of the ZRXOA

This A-1B Huskey is twinsies with the one Flying Dave just bought.

Dude at my airport bought it new and just lets it sit in his hangar collecting dust.

He's offered free rein to use it as long as we maintain it and keep it in license. I'm
    Not sure that deal is for me. I can barely fly my own plane enough, much less someone else's.

I should have taken a before pic. The plane was covered in 1/16" of dust and dirt. Same with the entire hangar. I cleaned everything up just out of principle and sympathy for the poor airplane.

I asked him what his plans are for ADSB, and he said "What's that?"

The elevator has a bungee return on it in one direction, forcing the stick hard forward/nose down. Kinda weird.

President of the ZRXOA

I got trained by Eddie Johnson of Johnson Helicopter Services out of Porterville, CA on maintaining my friends Hiller UH-12B helicopter.

It was really fun and Eddie is a super nice guy and knows everything about these helicopters...inside and out.

He worked at the Hiller factory for more than a decade before he started his own business and repair station, and he actually completely rebuilt this particular helicopter less than 40 flight hours ago.

I can't bore everyone with the details of each and every step of the inspection, so I'll just post some pictures to share the highlights of the process.

Remove the paddles and using dye penetrant, check for cracks.

Then primer the steel paddles and insert them into the aluminum cuffs while they're still wet.

Also have to check some holes for cracks inside rotor system using the dye.

Drain the oil

Next is the screens

Remove the seats and access panels

Remove the air filter

Remove rear spark plugs

Clean the fan and inspect for cracks. If it gets too dirty, it can get out of balance and that can cause cracking.

Remove the cover from the electrical bits and inspect everything for loose connections, chafing, damaged wiring, etc...

And the fuel system fittings/valves

This generator is the hardest thing to R&R on the helicopter.

Some chafing here

So we loosened the fitting and moved the hose

Check the APU solenoid and associated wiring

Serviced the water in the battery

Inspect the magneto points

Driveshaft universal joints which are automotive origin

So many fittings to grease. It was A LOT!

Filled the cuffs with oil.

Inspect the rotor blades

Drain, flush, and fill the tail rotor gear box.

Inspect the tail rotor

Tail rotor cables

Check mixture, carb heat, and throttle controls

Check everything on the instrument panel

Check compression

That's about all the pics I have. Just put everything back together then we test ran it outside.

Here's a good pic of Eddie. Nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Last edited by AV80R; 07-31-2019 at 03:51 AM.

President of the ZRXOA

Breakfast at the Commemorative Air Force yesterday with my stepdad.

Stinson L5

Legend Cub

Gorgeous old Bonanza in Lime Green

Lots of others but I didn't have time to walk the ramp because we got there late.

President of the ZRXOA

Crash at my airport earlier today.

According to friends who are at the airport, it was an engine failure on takeoff and the female pilot tried turning back to the runway but was too low. She ended up cartwheeling on the ground.

Injured but alive.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-...re-plane-crash

President of the ZRXOA

Oh boy, the gal that crashed is a lawyer we all know. She already has a track record for suing everyone for everything.

Many folks won't help her because of it. The only guy on the field that agreed to do her annual is probably crapping his pants right now.

They put her plane in the boneyard.

President of the ZRXOA

President of the ZRXOA

My hangar neighbor's 1951 L-19

Last edited by AV80R; 12-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.

President of the ZRXOA

We just got this awesome simulator. Originally $48k new. It's a lot of fun to fly!

Itís FAA certified and you can actually log the time. For an instrument rating, you can log 20 hours on it. It can also be used for currency if you already have an instrument rating.

Last edited by AV80R; 12-01-2019 at 11:22 AM.

President of the ZRXOA

Got word that lots of folks were getting errors when viewing this thread. I think I've found the culprit and hopefully it's visible now.

Weirdly Peculiar

Fixed! Thanks Arash!

2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

Born In The USA

Fixed!

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Weirdly Peculiar

What's the story on the Rotorway heli?
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

Man, that sim looks awesome. I spent a lot of hours in a frasca back in the mid to late 90ís. I could get 10 hours with an instructor for $180 (it was a class). I took that class about 8 times. I had one instructor for most of the time and he was a retired kc-135 pilot. He really knew how to turn up the heat in the sim! There were some days that after a morning session Iíd go back to bed I was so tired. Iíd make copies of my jepp charts so I didnít get the real ones all wet from sweat.

Fun times - I called him on cheating when I was flying single engine (never had multi training, he was using it to load me up), failed vacuum system (no ai or dg). Both nav radios were out so I was doing an ndb approach (with a compass!?). Then he started loading me up with ice. There was no way I was going to make the field because I was losing altitude pretty quickly. The airport I was on approach to happened to have a small grass field right under the ndb. I basically did an abbreviated hold on the ndb with the grass field. When he realized what I was doing he went to turn off that field (the sim only supported so many at a time). I could hear him clacking way back there. I broke out at 200 ft and the runway was right in front of me. . . . and then it wasnít. He got it turned off just before I would have landed. Man that was a blast. I loved IFR flying. In my ~500 hours of flight time 90 of it was spent in actual ifr conditions. I really miss flying
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post
    What's the story on the Rotorway heli?
    My buddy who built it, gave it to the guru of Rotorway training here in the USA. He came out and grabbed it and took it out East somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post
    Man, that sim looks awesome. I spent a lot of hours in a frasca back in the mid to late 90ís. I could get 10 hours with an instructor for $180 (it was a class). I took that class about 8 times. I had one instructor for most of the time and he was a retired kc-135 pilot. He really knew how to turn up the heat in the sim! There were some days that after a morning session Iíd go back to bed I was so tired. Iíd make copies of my jepp charts so I didnít get the real ones all wet from sweat.

Fun times - I called him on cheating when I was flying single engine (never had multi training, he was using it to load me up), failed vacuum system (no ai or dg). Both nav radios were out so I was doing an ndb approach (with a compass!?). Then he started loading me up with ice. There was no way I was going to make the field because I was losing altitude pretty quickly. The airport I was on approach to happened to have a small grass field right under the ndb. I basically did an abbreviated hold on the ndb with the grass field. When he realized what I was doing he went to turn off that field (the sim only supported so many at a time). I could hear him clacking way back there. I broke out at 200 ft and the runway was right in front of me. . . . and then it wasnít. He got it turned off just before I would have landed. Man that was a blast. I loved IFR flying. In my ~500 hours of flight time 90 of it was spent in actual ifr conditions. I really miss flying
    The sim is amazingly fun! I enjoy shooting all kinds of approaches in different weather and planes. No gas to pay for, and no bugs to wipe up either.

Thixotropic Hooligan

hope it's ok to post this here

Do your own thing but don't touch mine

http://www.acepoxy.com

Member # 10

Hal #8 RIP

Born In The USA

The magic glasses have found a new use in repair. That was cool.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by ClayX View Post

Won't the Air Force object to the Army stepping on their turf?
    Signature deleted until pithy non-political one can be formulated.

President of the ZRXOA

Totally cool. Thanks!

Thixotropic Hooligan

There are some really nice moments in this.

Do your own thing but don't touch mine

http://www.acepoxy.com

Member # 10

Hal #8 RIP

President of the ZRXOA

There are some really nice moments in this.

Isn't that just amazing?

What a job