Next project

Name:  20181005_163515_resized.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  520.4 KB

Just picked this up for my next project, 74 first year of the KX 250

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Re: Next project

I drooled over those things in the local Kawi shop back in the day. I wanted the KE250 for the road though.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

BadAss Hooligan

I had one of the original 450 prototypes in 1972 in think. They also had the 250 prototypes out then too.

I was sponsored by a guy and shop in motocross back then and had to submit a racing resume to get the beast.

I really loved it and did everything with it, even with the downpipe. MX, endures, hare scrambles.

I was sad to see it go, no idea who bought it or where it went after the season.

Good luck with your new ride it looks great.

Herb

BadAss Hooligan

Nice pickup! Looks to have very low hours unless someone already restored it once! Sweet!

These were actually pretty rare back in the day. Plenty of YZ250s and Elsinores on the starting line, but not too many Kawasakis.

I remember the 125s leaving my poor little Yamaha MX125 in the distance...

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by therokonkid View Post
    Nice pickup! Looks to have very low hours unless someone already restored it once! Sweet!

These were actually pretty rare back in the day. Plenty of YZ250s and Elsinores on the starting line, but not too many Kawasakis.

I remember the 125s leaving my poor little Yamaha MX125 in the distance...
    Never stored but I plan on it. I friend of mine owned it for years and had it hanging in the window of his kawasaki shop.

Color Monitor

Awesome! doesn't look like it needs too much.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    Awesome! doesn't look like it needs too much.

TG
    I was thinking the same thing ^^^^^ What a nice find!

I remember them well! Worked for a dealer back then but the CR250M/Elsinore's were hard to beat.

Does anyone know what the CR250M stands for?? The 250 is easy

Hope you post when it's completed!

Wayne

Hooligan

Came with a perfect original pipe too. Only thing I'm questioning is the rear shocks. Everything I've found says they should be Hammerhead shocks, what is on there are KYB which came on the 74 125's and all bikes after the 74 250. It's an early Vin # so I don't know if the shocks were stock to the bike or were changed because the Hammerheads sucked.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
    Came with a perfect original pipe too. Only thing I'm questioning is the rear shocks. Everything I've found says they should be Hammerhead shocks, what is on there are KYB which came on the 74 125's and all bikes after the 74 250. It's an early Vin # so I don't know if the shocks were stock to the bike or were changed because the Hammerheads sucked.
    I think the Hammerheads were Kawasaki's answer to the Yamaha Thermal Flows...an equally sucky shock.

BadAss Hooligan

Looks like Hammerheads were correct.

Name:  kawi.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  361.1 KB

BadAss Hooligan

The hammerhead shock were junk but for a restore are you going to try and find some?

It doesn't look as if the bike has hardly been ridden... usually a dirt bike it's nasty very quickly

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

Another viable option may be to source a set of Redwing Hammerheads. A quick check on EBay shows 5 sets sold in the last few months and they look quite similar. Probably a better shock as well.

Not a perfect match, but close.

Hooligan

If thats what was originally on the bike I'll have to find a pair. I'm hoping they produced a couple of early bike without them. My buddy took the bike in as a trade in many years ago and hung in the shop window. After that he stored in the warehouse. As far as I can tell the bike has the original chain and sprockets.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by therokonkid View Post
    Another viable option may be to source a set of Redwing Hammerheads. A quick check on EBay shows 5 sets sold in the last few months and they look quite similar. Probably a better shock as well.

Not a perfect match, but close.
    I've seen those only question is if they are the same length. I haven't gotten that far into this yet.

beermonger

Looks like a dirt show bike, why mess with it?
    OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

ZRXOA member #1964

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by IGNATZ View Post
    Looks like a dirt show bike, why mess with it?
    Bikes is not perfect but could probably be shown at local events. I'm just want to work on a project that'll keep me busy and won't break the bank.

BadAss Hooligan

I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know but it's fun to engage in something you wish you might be doing :grin Guess that's some of the fun with a thread like this

It looks clean enough to be all original... tires of course would be one easy place to look because 99% of the time when tires are replaced original equipment tires don't go back on.

Sprockets should be pretty easy also... can't remember but if the rear sprocket nuts have locking tabs if there factory there won't be any marks on them... (Always wondered how they did that) if the nuts have been off there will be punch or chisel marks left where they have been opened and re-locked.

If it's just locking nuts a socket will leave some sort of markings on the nut especially being a self locking nut.

Enjoy your project!

Wayne