+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ZRX View Post
    Another interesting project by Mr. "My Day Needs 48 Hours To Fit All My Projects In".

Looking great Arash, but aren't biplanes a tad too ordinary for you?

How about finding one of these "Fokkers" (pun intended )?
    Attachment 302318

Sopwith also built a triplane back then, maybe not everyone knows that.

Oh, Iím a HUGE open cockpit biplane fan Heino. Leather helmet, scarf, and the wind singing through the wires is my kind of flying.

Here is a Starduster Too we owned for many years. It reminded me of a Bucker Jungmeister, or at least thatís what Iíd pretend it was when I flew it 100 feet off the ocean.

It had a massive IO-470 with straight pipes and a fixed pitch wooden prop. It had quite the ramp presence at the fuel pit! The fuel injection was a home brew setup that snorted, popped, and spit fire on every hot start.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Matt View Post
    PFM

Is that Pure F**king Magic?

You nailed it
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Weirdly Peculiar

Re: Christen Eagle II

2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack, 46 T rear sprocket, Goodrich brake lines, Galfer rotors, Shorai battery, 4 piston Toxico calipers, Stebel horn, Hi Point wheels, RaceTech front forks, Ohlins, Speed Triple bar end mirrors

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

BadAss Hooligan

Thought I was the only one familiar with Starduster Too. Flew out of Compton many times with a buddy. White one early 70s.
    God, grant others the serenity and wisdom to change the things I cannot accept.

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.' -Anais Nin

69 H1 500
    71 H2 750
    73 Z1
    74 Z1
    76 KZ650
    78 Z1R
    00 HD XLHC (11yrs 206,000mi)
    85 CB700SC
    99 ZRX1100

President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Landing that airplane from the back seat was always interesting. If you start to see dirt out of the corner of your eye, thatís how you knew to turn the other way on landing rollout.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

President of the ZRXOA

Put a couple motorcycle phone mounts in the cockpit to hold a handheld radio and phone. No ADSB or engine driven electrical system for this biplane

BadAss Hooligan

Just thinking about an outside loop (down) makes me a little sick. Looks like buckets o' fun though.
    Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge.
    -EJ Potter

President of the ZRXOA

Yeah, me too. That ainít happening for me Joe. I do ďGentlemenís aerobaticsĒ...trying to keep positive Gís at all times and keep things graceful and smooth.

Iím not into the stick slamming IAC competition thing where they try to make perfect little circles in the sky.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
    Just thinking about an outside loop (down) makes me a little sick. Looks like buckets o' fun though.

As us pretend pilots say while flying inverted.... Down is up and up is expensive!

Ken
    ZRXOA 7793
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Got started today on installing an 8 point EGT/CHT engine monitor into this plane while itís apart. The UGB-16 from Electronics International.

https://buy-ei.com/portfolio/ubg-16/

Here is what comes in the box for a 4 cylinder installation.

Itíll be going in the empty hole with an adapter plate.

Mark each exhaust pipe 1.5Ē down looking for any red flags for fitment of the EGT probes and screw clamps.

Fit the lower cowling on to ensure the chosen positions for the EGT probes wonít interfere with anything and will fit in place.

The probes require a .130Ē hole, or #30 drill bit. Also note the spacing requirement on the probe to the clamp.

Donít forget to remove the o-ring, it is just there to hold everything together during shipping. Itíll surely melt if you donít remove it.

3/8Ē spacing per the instructions

EGT probes installed

Now time to screw the CHT bayonet probes into each cylinder.

The alternative type are the ones that are washers installed on the spark plugs which are a PITA when you remove and install plugs.

Two identical harnesses, one for EGT and one for CHT.

Mark one harness at each wire for CHT and the wires on the other harness for EGT.

Then mark the plugs so you know which is which. I used a scribe to directly mark the connector.

Next unroll both harnesses and zip tie them together to make routing easier.

This is so easy with the airplane all apart and total access to everything behind the firewall and in front of the instrument panel.

Determine the routing you want forward of the firewall and segregate the wires for each bank of cylinders together. #1 & 3 on the right bank, #2 & 4 on the left bank.

Letís start with #1 & 3:

Instead of crimping connectors on, now they are using over lap connectors. I think thatís a good idea since Iíve had some issues with crimped connectors losing connection before on this monitor.

Connect each respective CHT and EGT wire to each probe. Make sure to leave extra wire for engine vibration and also donít bend the wire into a radius smaller than 1Ē.

You can see the old EGT gauge probe on cylinder #3 (right rear cylinder). It will be left in place until we have the hole welded shut in the future.

The EGT probe clamps will have the excess strap shortened to size later too.

More to follow, I ran out of time for today.

Born In The USA

I will refer back to this thread if I put this setup on the van.

Hard to imagine you running out of time with so little going on in your life.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Iíve always dreamed of having this on a road going vehicle!

I canít complain...this is all fun stuff to me.

President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Continued connecting the left side #2 & 4 cylinder probes to the wiring harness. Then routed the bundle back to the firewall, through it and around the fuel tank.

Then started working on the adapter plate to mount the instrument display in the larger existing hole in the panel.

Used their supplied template to make a couple holes for the rocker switches.

Thatís all for today. Didnít get a lot done.

President of the ZRXOA

Finished up the install of the Electronics International UBG-16 engine monitor.

Wires were neatly bundled behind the panel. This took a very long time.

And the instrument with warning lights, switches and download port installed on the panel.

With the engine monitor installed, the boot cowling sheet metal went back on.

Next the wheels and brakes are removed. The brake calipers need new piston seals and brake linings.

Hooligan

Nice looking Eagle, did you get EI to put remote switches so that you can operate it from the back seat?

Here is my Eagle:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Skybolt31; 04-10-2019 at 09:35 PM.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Skybolt31 View Post
    Nice looking Eagle, did you get EI to put remote switches so that you can operate it from the back seat?

Here is my Eagle:
    Wow, thatís a beautiful bird you got there!

We donít plan on operating the monitor from the back seat. Some folks have a stick that they keep in the cockpit for stuff like this, but itís not needed for this instrument.

It has a mode to scan through all the cylinders to show actual individual EGT/CHT values and also constantly displays a pictorial representation of CHT/EGT on all 4 cylinders as well.

The data is also all recorded for post flight analysis so thereís little reason to mess with it in flight.

Controlling the dimmer isnít an issue because this plane is day only VFR.

The leaning feature is a bit useless IMO. I can get within 10-20 degrees of the LOP target just using my ears.

Iíve had this engine monitor in my 170B for 10 years.

You can fly it during cruise and use the normalized mode to flatten the graph so that itís level all the way across for all 4 cylinders. Then it is easy to see any anomalies at a glance.

Hooligan

Sounds like a nice instrument. Electronics International is a great company, I had some of their gauges in my Skybolt. I ended up going with a JPI 740 in the Eagle and have buttons in the back seat to operate it. Before you put your canopy on, check that it is not going to interfere with your switch, mine sits a little below the top of the panel when it is closed. Did you locate the linear bearing for the canopy pivot? I replaced mine and can find the part numbers for you if you need them. There is an Eagle facebook group that is a good place for information and ideas, worth checking out.

President of the ZRXOA

Thanks, we checked and the canopy clears.

We ordered all new stuff for the canopy from Aviat. Took them awhile to ship because it was back ordered but itís nice to have all new parts there again.

President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Brakes and wheel bearings are all done.

Also installed the canopy, wheel pants, gear fairings, wing fairings, flying wire fairings, and spinner back into place before test running the engine.

After the test run, the magneto timing was checked, compression checked, and itís all ready to get cowled up and flown again.

The engine monitor works properly, which is always a good thing after a fresh installation.

So besides the cowling, the javelins for the flying wires have to be secured and thatís about it.

My stepdad wants me to fly it at the IAC competition at Coalinga next month but Iím not really into the whole perfect circles in the sky thing.

President of the ZRXOA

Stupidest design ever to have oil cooler lines that need to be removed/installed with the lower cowling.

And then the intake slides into the filter housing with a rubber flap to seal it.

Ran out of time but have to attach the upper supports and cowling next.

Born In The USA

Perhaps an easy to latch mount for the oil cooler instead. Slide it in and lock it down with one hand.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

That would be way better. Or even have it mounted to the engine and the cowling hole just meets it once in place.

President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Itís ready to fly. We parked a couple of my stepdadís other black and white vehicles next to it for a pic.

Born In The USA

Looks like it's open for bidness!

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

I wasnít there for the disassembly but my step dad did it wrong in regards to the oil cooler.

Youíre supposed to remove the louvered cover and unbolt the oil cooler from the cowling and leave it connected to the engine instead of disconnecting the oil lines.

Hooligan

I agree, take the louvered panel off and remove the four bolts, the top two are easy, long extension on a socket. The bottom two can be tricky depending on how the builder did it. I use a universal socket to get them out, but it is hard to pull the bolts out because of how the cowling curves up. If it has not already been done, when it is apart, take some tin snips and make the bottom two bolt holes into slots. Then you don't have to take the bottom to bolts out, just loosen them up. Some guys reverse the bolts, they add nutplates to the cowling and put the bolts in from the back side. The advantage of this method is that you don't have to take the louvered panel off. If you opt for this method, don't rivet the nutplates to the fiberglass, make an aluminum backing plate. How many hours on this plane? I have over 1800 on mine, so I am ahead of most people on dealing with the problems that come with age. The cowling is one of those areas.

President of the ZRXOA

Thanks for the tips!

It has about 800 hours TT.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

It has about 800 hours TT.
    Happy to be able to pass things on that me and other Eagle owners have learned the hard way! 800 hours is more than most, good to see the plane has been used. I only know of one with more hours than mine, it is owned by 10 people and has close to 4K hours. I try to keep an eye on their maintenance issues, figure they will be mine soon. The FB group has a lot of experienced people on it.

You should check out that contest even if you don't compete. This is probably going to be my last year competing, but I meet a lot of interesting people at contests.

President of the ZRXOA

Iíve tagged along with my Yak buddies at the contests. Itís a nice social scene.

Weíll have the paperwork/logs for the plane done tomorrow and once we have hull insurance on it, itís time to fire it up and go flying.

President of the ZRXOA

Christen Eagle II

Changed the brake linings and we should be flying on Monday once the insurance is paid up.

Hooligan

So, it is after Monday, do we have a pilot report?