+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Never Ride Alone II

Having nothing to due with the first thread, the title line made me think of a lengthy conversation I had with my Godson, and a few of my friend's boys just yesterday...

Never Ride Alone!

Of course, this is inevitable when riding out to meet your friends on streetbikes, but I was talking to them about riding in the dirt, and using the buddy system.

In 1998, I was riding off-road by myself on my KX500, when I was about to go between two trees (about 4ft. apart), that I had gone between hundreds of times in the past.
    Unbeknownst to me, some tree-huggin' asshole had put razor wire between them at about two feet high and at my neck height. I was doing about 25-30mph and noticed it just in time to avoid being decapitated.
    The lower wire went right through my riding pants and shredded up my knees, opening a big flap on one of them. Luckily, I had stood up on my pegs at the last second, and took the brunt of the higher wire up my forearms and across my chest.
    I came to an immediate dead-stop, and was on my back. I must have hit my helmet on the ground hard enough to cause a slight concussion, because I had some missing time.
    I was hurt, alone, and it took quite a while to get up, pick my bike up and lean it against a tree. I sat there for at least half an hour gathering my senses before attempting to kick start a 500cc two-stroke, with seriously banged up legs.
    I finally got it running and carefully inched my was home. I didn't pass ONE PERSON along the way.

My point is this.... It took a fairly serious crash to instill some sense into this 20-something year old's head. NEVER RIDE ALONE!
    It could have easily been a much more serious crash, other than the numerous stitches I received, and I may not have been found until the next day.
    Lesson learned...the hard way

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Never Ride Alone II

And to add to that:

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

President of the ZRXOA

I worry about this all the time when riding alone in the redwood forest canyons behind my house.

Didnít care much when I was young and single, but now with a family it would be terrible to kick the bucket all alone down a ravine.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Trapper John

Harry,

Where can I get one of those t-shirts??? I have a sorry bunch of HD friends who are just stupid! This might save one of them.

Zdaneman sends
    zdaneman
    Curve Carver !!

Born In The USA

Glad you lived to tell the tale.

As I live alone, and work at home, the daily phone call from my 91 year old mom is the only way anybody knows if I'm alive.

I posted a note pad in the kitchen area that says "Where I went" on the ride, with expected roads and destination. I ride roads through the wilderness in the nearby mountains, with no guard rails and lots of deer and other animals.

It's not so much about me. I can imagine what my family would be going through, as the hours turn into days and weeks of me being missing, and no place to start looking.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zdaneman View Post
    Harry,

Where can I get one of those t-shirts??? I have a sorry bunch of HD friends who are just stupid! This might save one of them.

Zdaneman sends
    Here's where I found the pic >>> https://www.customink.com/fundraising/all-gear-all-the-time

B
    TW here's the other side of that shirt.

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

I've ridden alone most of my riding life. I love it!

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

I don't trail ride alone. There is no cell service where I ride and I can't imagine laying on the ground with a broken femur until I eventually died of exposure.That would suck ass!
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

my brakes are the only thing I drag

I would ride within the 3-5 mile radius on the trails. But where Iím at itís wide open and lots of other riders. Plus I text friends on the way out the door and when I get back.
    Hanc Tuemur, Hac Nitimur

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    I don't trail ride alone. There is no cell service where I ride and I can't imagine laying on the ground with a broken femur until I eventually died of exposure.That would suck ass!
    Better that, than be eaten by the locals.

As a senior in high school, my best friend and I would travel up 101 north to a dirt road just above Laytonville, and go 20 miles east to the end of the road where his friend John lived in a nice place overlooking the Eel River. We would cut wood, smooth the road, or whatever to earn our keep. John was in his 60s and walked with a cane. He lived alone out there, and took a spill walking a trail near the house and he broke his leg. That's where they found him.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Like I said in the beginning, this was really meant for off-road riding, but the same applies for the blacktop. There are some desolate roads out there...
    Then again, that doesn't necessarily matter. How many times have you heard of a car being found off the Pacific Coast Highway that had been there for a long period of time. Sometimes they find a survivor, often times they don't. Millions of cars drive that road.

BadAss Hooligan

I remember the story of a guy riding The Dragon (Deals Gap) alone. He went off the road and down a 50 Ft bank. No other riders saw him go off. He was banged up enough where he couldn't climb out. Several broken bones. He just happened to have been found several days later when another motorcyclist pulled off on the side of the road and just happened to see him. Rescued alive but just barely. Very lucky to have been found at all !!!!!!!!!
    Big Harry

George Carlin