+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Stuffed Up

Re: The stars aligned!

Thanks for that Brian, I have got some cheapo pods on the way to get me through till the K&Ns show up.

I'll try to find time Sunday arvo to check jetting etc on it - but I have a 10 hour drive to do so might be a bit tired.

You threads are greatly appreciated and I have had a good look and am feeling a lot more confident. The only issue will be funds slowing up a bit now for a little while. So the more I can achieve myself the better

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

Stuffed Up

Ok, well I have managed to get the carbs off halfway and access to outer carb showing the below, based on the combination and the #112 Main I am not sure what kit this would be:

Needle - 2nd Clip from top with 3 washers on top
    Main - #112
    Pilot - #35

Name:  Jetting.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  17.1 KB

I am working on checking inner carb but I'm having huge issues with stripped bolt heads - so IF I ASSUME the jetting to be consistent across all 4 carbs (for now till I get them apart), I am severely undercarbed for pods, block offs and a slip on?

Looking at other setups I am thinking that upping the main and changing needle settings might get me pretty much at "Stage 3" and be close to correct?

Needle - 3rd Clip from top with 2 washers
    Main - #138 inner/140 outer (would this be too rich?)
    Pilot - #35

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

Stuffed Up

Ok, I have them all apart and can confirm that the settings are consistent across all 4 carbs:
    Needle - 2nd Clip from top with 3 washers on top
    Main - #112
    Pilot - #35

President of the ZRXOA

What brand are the jets? What markings do you see on the 112 mains?
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    What brand are the jets? What markings do you see on the 112 mains?
    Well I only just found out how to do this but I managed to magnify the photo using my phone, now I guess I can try and identify them!

Name:  112.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  27.0 KB

Stuffed Up

I believe this means they are genuine Keihin main jets - slows have the same markings.

Needles dont have any markings but have the 5 slots and a ridge about 8mm down from the slots.

President of the ZRXOA

Ok, not all jet kit manufacturers numbered jet sizing is equal.

Youíre right, those are Keihin

Somewhere on the board is info telling you what numbers are equal to each other.

Not an issue for you since you donít have to worry about DynoJet jet numbers etc...

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Stuffed Up

Yeah I did see that conversion chart thanks Arash.

A mate who has a ZRX reckons he got a heap of jets with it, but has no idea what - he'll check tonight but hopefully something 130ish there.

Local bike shop quoted $70 for 4 main jets!

President of the ZRXOA

Iím sure shipping kills it but https://jetsrus.com/ is a great source.

Stuffed Up

Yup, and the wait just makes it worse.

Stuffed Up

Yay! Found an Aussie mob that are $30 shipped for the 4 x 130 mains.

Will wait and see what my mate has tonight before ordering first thing tomorrow if he doesnt have anything that will make it go.

Stuffed Up

Good time to break it all down and give it a clean - steep learning curve for me but BG Wells' threads have it all covered in an idiot proof, step by step format

Name:  Carbs1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  81.6 KB

Stuffed Up

Well it's back together and running (good sign) Will try to get a ride in tonight but will def ride to work tomorrow.

China Pods on whilst my Unis are in transit , and yes that fuel line WILL get cut down.

Name:  Pods.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  93.3 KB

President of the ZRXOA

Fantastic

Stuffed Up

Found 5 mins to get it out for a spin.

Definitely snappier off the line, sounds and feels smooth - no more popping on decel!

That clunking is still there though, so that's the next fix.

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    What the heck is that spacer on the sprocket?
    I am thinking this is the source of the "clunking" in the drivetrain, I think the countersprocket might be on backwards and the chain is out of alignment.

Every chain rotation it rides up and drops back into place producing a clunk felt through the whole bike. Unfortunately it pretty on there - but it's going to my mate tomorrow for valves so I'll get him to whiz it off for me so I can confirm this to be the issue!

BadAss Hooligan

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Cheers Harry, at mechanics now and he'll loosen it off for me so i can check it (and clean it)

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    Cheers Harry, at mechanics now and he'll loosen it off for me so i can check it (and clean it)
    That bit of info allowed me to install my new one several years ago correctly. The original owner had actually installed a replacement BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    That bit of info allowed me to install my new one several years ago correctly. The original owner had actually installed a replacement BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, seems like a common enough mistake! Hopefully that's all it is and it hasnt wrecked the chain or front sprocket to a point of not being salvageable.

I've stripped, cleaned and realigned (was about 5 notches out from left to right when I got it) all the running gear at the back (sprocket etc) and looks ok. Chain doesnt look excessively worn in any spots. OUTSIDE of countersprocket looks ok - but who knows what the back looks like till I get it off!

Stuffed Up

This is what it looks like - looks like a large washer is UNDER the locking washer - but I think that's a lip on the sprocket itself.

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  4.00 MB

avtech3d

Looks correct to me.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    Looks correct to me.
    Ok thanks for that - maybe tight spot or damaged link in chain if both sprockets are good and aligned correctly?

It clunks to the point that if running in a stand you can see the whole bike wobbling.

BadAss Hooligan

Usually if a link of the chain is that bad, you can see it by rotating the tire when up on a stand. Sure its not a tire/rim problem?
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

The Mod Father

Dirk...is that an aftermarket sprocket.,or the stock one with the rubber damper removed.?

Also...its probably an optical illusion due to the angle of the photo as it looks like the teeth are unduly curved...?
    Name:  20181025_134009.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  1.34 MB

As I said ...maybe an optical illusion...however here is a comparison photo from my 05 build showing the stock Kawasaki sprocket (with rubber damper intact) alongside a replacement Renthal sprocket..
    Name:  IMG_2629 Large_zpsmjeuqgti.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2628 Large_zpskybwaclt.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  18.5 KB
    How does your front sprocket compare.?

My suspicions for your issue though is a tight spot/link on the chain...

Howabout the rear sprocket...? Is it in good shape.??
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

Stuffed Up

Casper - I did try this but didnt have the time to do it properly, I will need to sit down and check link by link.

Brian - yup it's just the angle on that pic, the teeth look good on the outside of the sprocket but unsure what they are like on the inside of the sprocket. Unsure if sprocket is OEM or AM.

****** HANG ABOUT - just spoke to mechanic, his verdict is that chain is F***ed. Said there's a crappy link, no safety issue but replace soon. He needed to hit the nut with an oxy to get it off! Anyway at least I can now get it off and see what the sprocket is. As I already have plans in place for chain/sprocket etc I will speed those plans up to get this chain off soon.

Thanks for the input guys

avtech3d

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    Unsure if sprocket is OEM or AM.
    It's an aftermarket JT sprocket, and that chain is seriously corroded. Replacing the chain and sprockets give you the opportunity to do some much needed deep cleaning.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

Stuffed Up

Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    It's an aftermarket JT sprocket, and that chain is seriously corroded. Replacing the chain and sprockets give you the opportunity to do some much needed deep cleaning.
    Thanks for that, and that chain (and sprockets etc) is 100 times cleaner than when I got it, I even hit it with a wire brush with the bike in gear on a stand!
    The back end (wheel, sprockets, cush drive, spacers etc) has been totally stripped and cleaned and aligned. Now that the front sprocket nut is off I can do the same at the front.

As I have plans in the pipeline that will require new sprockets I am going to try to hold off till then to do all new sprockets and chain, but will keep a close eye on it, will be in the next month or so.

Stuffed Up

Got out on the mountain yesterday for a little bit of saddle time

Name:  20181027_144343.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  1.84 MB

Today was fitting Advancer and cleaning up pulsar cover (reground the ribs)

Fixing that broken thread is on the to do list, was going to bog it up with JB Weld and then retap it.

Name:  20181028_121539.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  3.10 MBName:  20181028_125400.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  2.93 MB

Stuffed Up

Got round to chucking the Uni pods on, not sure if I like how they touch the frame.

Few other small jobs done too. Bit by bit........

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  82.7 KB