+ Reply to Thread
    Hooligan

OPPS !!! so how bad did I screw up ??

Every now and then we all make bone headed moves !! Well I just made one. I was at my local indy motorcycle shop and he stocks Amsoil product. I purchased 5 quarts of amsoil and some amsoil gear lube.
    So after I get the oil changed and the shaft lube changed I noticed shit !! I put in the wrong gear lube. Instead of 75-90 I put in 75-140 !!
    My question is do I need to drain this heavy lube out or just let it be. I hate crawling around on the floor these days … The body is not what it used to be.
    Thanks in advance
    kindly
    ron

Devils’ Advocate

Re: OPPS !!! so how bad did I screw up ??

You purchased, and installed, the wrong lube.

The manual does not list it as an alternate?

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Damn you Pete !!! LOL... Thanks thou !!! so that is a drain it out ???

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by green&mean View Post
    Damn you Pete !!! LOL... Thanks thou !!! so that is a drain it out ???
    If it was 10 numbers off, I'd run it...but 90 vs 140 is quite a jump in viscosity.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Thank you Pete !!! I never looked at what the owner of the shop put in the bag... He rides a 2016 connie … my bad thanks again .
    kindly
    ron

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    If it was 10 numbers off, I'd run it...but 90 vs 140 is quite a jump in viscosity.
    I totally agree. Or, to say it another way, on the side of the road, far from home, is NOT the time to find to find out that: one-forty...oh Lordy Lordy Lordy.

No one likes doing things twice. Well, there is the Anderson twins. But that's a different thread.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    I totally agree. Or, to say it another way, on the side of the road, far from home, is NOT the time to find to find out that: one-forty...oh Lordy Lordy Lordy.

No one likes doing things twice. Well, there is the Anderson twins. But that's a different thread.
    Yea rub in in will ya !!! but you are right, and then some..
    thanks
    kindly
    ron

BadAss Hooligan

new gear oil is cheaper than a new rear diff

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Neggy View Post
    new gear oil is cheaper than a new rear diff

Devils’ Advocate

Well, you spelt “OOPS” wrong....

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President of the ZRXOA

Well, you spelt “OOPS” wrong....
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

SUPER COMMANDO

Ok I'll ride the short bus . Just to offer an opposing view . Not to say I wouldn't change the oil out and put the correct weight in. But working in the Automotive field for decades .Seeing the transition and different weight oils used in manual transmissions and differentials . My observations , from seeing manual transmission using 80/90w gear lube to 30w motor oil and now some are using ATF or 10w oil . A couple of reasons behind the trend . Better fuel mileage being one of the first and shift quality being second . What suffers bearing life . Will running a heavier variable weight oil in your differential hurt it . I doubt it . This is a oil thread right ? Recommended motor oil for our bikes is 10/40w but most desire 20/50 why ?
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by No prescription needed View Post
    Ok I'll ride the short bus . Just to offer an opposing view . Not to say I wouldn't change the oil out and put the correct weight in. But working in the Automotive field for decades .Seeing the transition and different weight oils used in manual transmissions and differentials . My observations , from seeing manual transmission using 80/90w gear lube to 30w motor oil and now some are using ATF or 10w oil . A couple of reasons behind the trend . Better fuel mileage being one of the first and shift quality being second . What suffers bearing life . Will running a heavier variable weight oil in your differential hurt it . I doubt it . This is a oil thread right ? Recommended motor oil for our bikes is 10/40w but most desire 20/50 why ?
    10W40 and 20W50 are both recommended viscosities for the ZRX.
    20W140 is not.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Hooligan

Thanks Pete !! I am running 10-40 in the crankcase of the connie. I now have the correct amsoil 75-90 in the drive shaft !! Thanks for everything
    kindly
    ron

BadAss Hooligan

Well said NPN!

To all... Remember the "W" doesn't stand for the weight of the oil or thickness the "W" stands for Winter with has to do with the flow of the oil when it cold and hot.

I don't know what part of FL you live in GM but if it's south of Gator nation the 140 would have been fine to leave in and if you ride there mostly I'd left it in... that's just me. Now if you lived in Canada then I would have changed it for sure.

Like NPN stated... most of these low viscosity oils today are for fuel mileage... yes engine are built to handle them but you for sure won't hurt one by running a higher viscosity.

To finalize... it's always best to do what the owners manuals recommends because they are the ones who built and test your vehicle.

Be safe

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

Gear oil in a gearcase is something entirely different when compared to motor oils in an engine. Gear speeds, gear shearing the oil, etc.
    Get on the short bus boys 'cause I'm takin' y'all to school!

Unleavened Cracker

Well said, but there are still those here who think syn oils contain zero hydrocarbons.

But what do I know, I'm just a tribologist, not a missle welder.....

SUPER COMMANDO

10W40 and 20W50 are both recommended viscosities for the ZRX.
    20W140 is not.
    Successful Now where can I get me some 20w140 redline motor oil . Perhaps a house blend .
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

Hooligan

Thanks guys for all the input. a bit of a different topic here. The connie when I bought it had 1900 miles on it and serviced at the dealer. I am assuming t he dealer just used regular dino oil as it is cheap and dealers suck in general. I sure noticed a big difference in the way the bike shifts after the install of the amsoil in the crankcase. I never use the clutch when upshifting just put pressure on the shifter and roll of the throttle a bit. Huge difference in my mind.
    I kind of liked the idea of a thicker gear lube in the shaft drive unit.. but what do I know ??? I called the guy who sold me the oil and gear lube. His 2016 connie has 90,000 miles on it and all he has run in the shaft drive unit is the 75 - 140. Time will tell I guess.
    Thanks again guys..... now if I could just learn to get the beast up on the center stand by myself !!!!! LOL anyway thanks
    kindly G&M