+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Hooligan

Re: PROTOTYPE single seat tail

Quote Originally Posted by Burlewebb View Post
    I am loving this design, can't wait to see the next update. Classy work Peter! .....and I want one!

Hooligan

Well I managed to get a bit of work done on the seat regarding placing and fitting it on the bike..
    Show you some pic's off work in progress..
    This is defenitly the route I'm going..
    But remeber all is still in prototype mode..... , no molds have been made yet..I want to make shore everythings fits nice and tight before I begin production...
    cheers
    Peter
    Attached Images                

President of the ZRXOA

I like it

You nailed it
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Bubbles

I'm diggin' Miss Sexy Performance 2009 in the second to last picture !!

President of the ZRXOA

PROTOTYPE single seat tail

Oh man, I failed the eye test DS Tiger!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by DS Tiger View Post
    I'm diggin' Miss Sexy Performance 2009 in the second to last picture !!
    nothging wrong with youre eye sight Tiger...you must have 20/20 vision ..lol
    Indeed she's my "gardian angel" off the garage..
    wonder how she looks now thow.. ;-)
    Anyway in a few houers I'm leaving for my holiday , I will be roaming around Germany/Austria/Kroatia with my RV camper van..
    see you guys back in a week or two....
    cheers
    Peter

RIP 4/11/19

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    nothging wrong with youre eye sight Tiger...you must have 20/20 vision ..lol
    Indeed she's my "gardian angel" off the garage..
    wonder how she looks now thow.. ;-)
    Anyway in a few houers I'm leaving for my holiday , I will be roaming around Germany/Austria/Kroatia with my RV camper van..
    see you guys back in a week or two....
    cheers
    Peter
    Your bike looks so sexy that I didn't even notice the naked girl behind it!
    THAT means you did GOOD!
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

Hooligan

Awesome! Want.

BadAss Hooligan

looking good!

Hooligan

Thinking I will be holding off my order to Compton and see where this goes.
    Onboard

BadAss Hooligan

Looks great!
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by usewhenrequired View Post
    Thinking I will be holding off my order to Compton and see where this goes.
    Onboard

The Mod Father

Great work Peter...I am really liking the overall profile and the direction you are taking this.

Really well done...

Oh and regarding posters on the wall.....I was pleased to notice our MV Agusta 'history' ....

Have a great break from the workshop my friend and enjoy yourself..

Brian.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

I agree... The lines of the tail are excellent. They are smooth and flowing, just like the retro-styled bike they're going on. Sharp edges and angular lines just don't go with our beloved ZRX's (IMHO).

SPOT ON!!!!!

Hooligan

Hello You guys..
    I tought I get you updated on progression off the single tail...
    Well , it was a real challenge to get the propper fitment regarding the tail attachement to the frame , had to do some major changes on the prototype, but luckely only
    on the side that's hidden under the seat , so fortunally ,the look stays the same...
    Now I am in finishing stages of making the molds.
    The major mold exists of 5(!) parts +a single mold for the undertray(yellow one) and I made a mold also for the seat tray(white one) , So(hopefully, I will have to see if my saddle maker is keen to make more than one..) it would be possible to order a custom seat aswell making this a complete package (if wanted..)
    seat unit , frame hardware, and single seat aswel...
    I have a bit off a buzzy week at work next week..(5days of 12 hours shifts...)but I hope to cut off some sleep so I can get my real first production unit to show off..;-)
    cheers
    Peter
    Attached Images            

Hooligan

Awesome. Great job! Can't wait to see the final set up.

BadAss Hooligan

excellent progress!

RIP 4/11/19

Damn Peter. You are THE MAN!
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

BadAss Hooligan

Very nice work. I would be interested in purchasing one as well, but do you have preliminary pics of the structure underneath that would be replacing the factory tube?

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFun View Post
    Very nice work. I would be interested in purchasing one as well, but do you have preliminary pics of the structure underneath that would be replacing the factory tube?

Cory
    Hello Cory
    I believe in the KISS-rule(keep it simple, stupid...:-)
    I mounted a 1inch steel tube(same size as the front sub frame tubes) between the inside of the suspension mounting points ; they come a little outside the frame , and the 1 inch pipe (wich I countersunk with my lathe) fits precicely over it.
    You need to spread the frame a few mm , using a jack (see pictures), then mount pipe and then release jack..it will come back , as you only use the elastic proportions of the steel(spread just a few mm thoug , not a inch or so...)
    The plate that holdes the seat unit is welded in the middle (on my new design ), in the pictures it is welded to the side off the tube)off that tube.
    So now you can even rotate the seat unit to youre personal taste regarding the incline angle off the tail....
    Then you weld the tube on to the frame..easy peasy..
    The tube in the pictures is still soft steel prototype , I got a dented ducati frame , from my local scrap yard(at scrap metal pricing..lol) so I will cut this mother up and soget me some nice crome moly tubing
    This set up should actually be more rigid then the oem subframe as the oem frame closes way back from the suspension , this design is a straight line between the suspension points..
    Anyway I won't take any credit for this design , as a french guy beet me to it on the french forum..but he did not made the bike to finish..he sold the project off halfway the build..
    cheers
    Peter
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by peter; 09-13-2018 at 09:56 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

Ok that is helpful. Have you considered the resonance of the tail only being supported on the one end and the shock from road vibrations causing it to bounce and possibly crack? Not trying to be a negative nanny here as what you have done is great, just trying to make sure it is stable for the whip it will experience with lever arm created. I assume the stock tail light bolts to the tail itself? So that will be extra weight out on the end.

Might be worth a inner support tube and some glasses in tabs....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFun View Post
    Ok that is helpful. Have you considered the resonance of the tail only being supported on the one end and the shock from road vibrations causing it to bounce and possibly crack? Not trying to be a negative nanny here as what you have done is great, just trying to make sure it is stable for the whip it will experience with lever arm created. I assume the stock tail light bolts to the tail itself? So that will be extra weight out on the end.

Might be worth a inner support tube and some glasses in tabs....

Cory
    Thanx for the input Cory , but I also given it some taughts....
    First off all I will give the mounting plate some strengting ribs(two 10 mm L profile should do the trick) so there is no vibration from there.
    Then between the mounting plate and the seat unit there wil be a rubber matte mounted so vibrations are also filterd more.
    Then the front side off the tail I am planning a sandwich construction , thats a layer of 3mm airex(see pic off the green stuff)( super lightweight rigid , closed cellular foam , so it does not suck up resin)
    between 4 layers of glassfiber.This will make a very strong attachement side
    My polyester is not the machined kind that is used for example making bath tubs , where strenght is become by thickness...(it uses very much a "filling agent" and very little resin and glassfibre..
    I make my parts with 2 kinds of handlayed glassfibre(see pic) , the matte (for stifness) and the woven glassfibre (for tear and cracking resistance)
    Also the edges get an extra layer for strenght.
    All in all will be very light , yet very strong
    Indeed the taillight and number plate will add a bit off weight at the end , but Im shore it will be only a few hunderd grams if that...
    But come to think of it , doesn't extra weight at the back off a part , just reduces vibration , that's why we have heavy bar end weights at the ends off our handlebars....wright?
    cheers
    Peter
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by peter; 09-13-2018 at 07:17 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Thanx for the input Cory , but I also given it some taughts....
    First off all I will give the mounting plate some strengting ribs(two 10 mm L profile should do the trick) so there is no vibration from there.
    Then between the mounting plate and the seat unit there wil be a rubber matte mounted so vibrations are also filterd more.
    Then the front side off the tail I am planning a sandwich construction , thats a layer of 3mm airex(see pic off the green stuff)( super lightweight rigid , closed cellular foam , so it does not suck up resin)
    between 4 layers of glassfiber.This will make a very strong attachement side
    My polyester is not the machined kind that is used for example making bath tubs , where strenght is become by thickness...(it uses very much a "filling agent" and very little resin and glassfibre..
    I make my parts with 2 kinds of handlayed glassfibre(see pic) , the matte (for stifness) and the woven glassfibre (for tear and cracking resistance)
    Also the edges get an extra layer for strenght.
    All in all will be very light , yet very strong
    Indeed the taillight and number plate will add a bit off weight at the end , but Im shore it will be only a few hunderd grams if that...
    But come to think of it , doesn't extra weight at the back off a part , just reduces vibration , that's why we have heavy bar end weights at the ends off our handlebars....wright?
    cheers
    Peter
    Mass is used to tune out certain frequencies and move them into a range outside the natural frequency of the material/design. Your handle bars are designed to support the riders body. I don’t believe the mount is not made well enough, but you know how a diving spring board works? That is lever I am talking about. Your tail is at the end of one and as the bike rebounds over every imperfection it transmits that into motion that travels across the “spring board”. Anyway, if you are confident, keep at it! You are making a beautiful piece and I really hopes it works out for you. This is last I will say on the subject.

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Livn the Turbo ZRX life

Great stuff, I love it! It's coming together very nicely!

Good point about the diving board effect. how about extending the frame tubing inside the tail attachment?

smaller diameter tubing that can fit snugly in the existing holes, inserted as far as they can go:

fab "U" bend tubing inside tail piece with the tubing ends coming out of the tailpiece that can slide in and be secured:

together with a mounting plate be able to handle the bad roads with no problem
    What a fun project and Thanks for sharing!!!
    Life's Short Have Fun!

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by LivnLife4Fun View Post
    Great stuff, I love it! It's coming together very nicely!

Good point about the diving board effect. how about extending the frame tubing inside the tail attachment?

smaller diameter tubing that can fit snugly in the existing holes, inserted as far as they can go:

fab "U" bend tubing inside tail piece with the tubing ends coming out of the tailpiece that can slide in and be secured:

together with a mounting plate be able to handle the bad roads with no problem
    What a fun project and Thanks for sharing!!!
    Thanx for the Input...But I really don't think this would be necesssairy..I made a first tryout this weekend and the tail is extremly light and very very strong made ;and the strongest side is on the begining , where it mounts..also it is not a long thin piece like a springboard.it is more of a box shape.....remeber the early jets from the 60's and 70's ..they had theire fuel tanks and rockets mounted on the end of very very thin wings
    this was actually a springboard on its own..lol) And I never heard of ever a wing tearing of..and imagine the G's they pulled with those things...If this design was good for a early jet it is shore no problem for a 20 year old motorcycle..
    , If you order one , you would be suprised of the
    lightness and strenght..I am shore..
    I think drilling extra holes in the tail would only make it crack for shore , just look at any bike with a fairing ..hard to spot a single mounting point that isn't cracked (or at least the paint).after a few years
    And having visible bolts thru the tail , just looks ..wel ..so amateuristic..( the oam tail has'nt either...)
    But if someone would actually demand extra strenght, shore I could make some frame extensions as you mension , but I would preferr then to glue them inside the tail piece with very good high tack silicone
    (you would be suprised on what they glue togheter these days with that stuff..LOTUS uses it for example to glue togheter theire alu car frames..)and the front end could be secured with a bolt or so thru the frame...
    cheers
    Peter
    Attached Images      

Livn the Turbo ZRX life

and they can handle the bumpy runways too.

interesting the silicone glue can be that strong. I distrust glue because it tends to weaken with age. And I've had too many things go unglued on me

good point about the holes being cracking points and having a good solid mount. Sounds great!
    Life's Short Have Fun!

Hooligan

Hey Guys
    thnx for all the input so far

I made a mold of the cut up single seat that I had to produce .
    I decided to make the seat base plate in Carbon with a sandwich cunstruction to keep it light and yet "bend proof.."
    I mean most off us do reach the 200 pound scale ..and beyond...including me..hahahaha.. ..
    Here in the vacuumbag , it sits there a few hours , to suck all the air and eccesive resin out off the piece , and then a few hours more in a "self made" oven construction to raise the temperture to "curing" point
    still under vacuum.

@brian...yes I did not forget my "MV" heritage... :-)
    @DS TIGER...here you are ..a nice picture off my garage guardian...;-)
    Attached Images      
    Last edited by AV80R; 09-19-2018 at 06:55 PM.

Bubbles

Sweet!!

Rock n Roll Motormouth
    between the Rivers. ST.LOUIS MO.(St. Charles)

Nice tail!
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

Life needs more .001 GREEN LIGHTS!

BadAss Hooligan

Hey can we keep that kind of shit out of a normal thread? I just scrolled through this at work.