+ Reply to Thread
    SUPER COMMANDO

First dirt bike pros and cons

I've been watching the local CL for good deals on a dirt bike for my nephews son . I want to reward him for helping me out on my property . I'm looking for the pros and cons between the different makes . He's 135 lbs going into the 6th grade and is going to be big kid so I want to get him something he'll be able to ride for a few years . He's not a fearless dude so I think a two stroke is out of the question for now . Here's the list of bikes I'm thinking of XR100/CRF100 - DRZ125 - KLX125 - TTR125 . I'm not sure which manufacture has the most available up grades as he becomes a better rider . Locally today there are two clean bikes listed in my price range of $500 to $1000 . A 98 Honda XR100r great condition $1000 , Yamaha ttr-125 $775 that needs carb work . Just missed the Yamaha . It was a hell of a deal and didn't last 24 hours . Both of these bikes are clean looking . And like anything listed on CL If it's a deal you have to be ready to buy it NOW ! I'm a CL junkie and I'm patient , so I'm on the hunt and I value your opinions . I'd like your input before I buy . Thanks !
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

SUPER COMMANDO

Re: First dirt bike proos and cons

Can a administrator please correct my spelling on the title of this thread , from proos to pros .
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

President of the ZRXOA

Re: First dirt bike proos and cons

Quote Originally Posted by No prescription needed View Post
    Can a administrator please correct my spelling on the title of this thread , from proos to pros .
    Done
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

SUPER COMMANDO

Re: First dirt bike pros and cons

Thank you !

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by No prescription needed View Post
    I've been watching the local CL for good deals on a dirt bike for my nephews son . I want to reward him for helping me out on my property . I'm looking for the pros and cons between the different makes . He's 135 lbs going into the 6th grade and is going to be big kid so I want to get him something he'll be able to ride for a few years . He's not a fearless dude so I think a two stroke is out of the question for now . Here's the list of bikes I'm thinking of XR100/CRF100 - DRZ125 - KLX125 - TTR125 . I'm not sure which manufacture has the most available up grades as he becomes a better rider . Locally today there are two clean bikes listed in my price range of $500 to $1000 . A 98 Honda XR100r great condition $1000 , Yamaha ttr-125 $775 that needs carb work . Just missed the Yamaha . It was a hell of a deal and didn't last 24 hours . Both of these bikes are clean looking . And like anything listed on CL If it's a deal you have to be ready to buy it NOW ! I'm a CL junkie and I'm patient , so I'm on the hunt and I value your opinions . I'd like your input before I buy . Thanks !
    You didn't mention how tall he is, but you should look at buying a bike that is on the slightly tall side for him rather than the small side. Being scrunched up on a small motorcycle is more of a distraction than a benefit to learning.

That is a different case if you already know how to ride and are playing around on a small bike. It's very easy to ride around the "scrunch" when you already know what you're doing. That's the main reason small bikes are used when teaching established riders to slide a bike. They're light and easy to man handle. But when you're a new rider it is a very uncomfortable feeling to be confined on too small a bike.

I used to be....

I agree with getting a larger bike, the size range you mentioned might be a little small. There are a couple of different TTR125's, the tall one has a front disk, larger wheels and is about two inches taller. You can never go wrong with an XR/CRF100, even as an adult I had fun riding them with the kids, we had three at once for a while, had six of them over the years. The Honda has the best selection of aftermarket products by far. Get the largest bike he can sit on, often times kids will show more respect for a larger bike. Can always pull the fork tubes up through the triple clamp and use lowering links on the rear shock to lower a bigger bike. We have had a couple of Honda CRF 230's (electric start) and can't say enough good about them, bought them used & cheap, easy to work on and reliable. Yamaha TTR225/230 are also a good choice. These bikes are much slower and cheaper than their moto-cross (distant) cousins.

Good luck in your search, motorcycles are a great way to teach kids responsibility.

BadAss Hooligan

Just in case you don't already have the address, here's the link to Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator. http://cycle-ergo.com/

Good Luck with your search!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Born In The USA

The first couple of bikes should be somewhat expendable. Something that parts are easy to get for, as it is going to see some damage. Rather than trying to improve the bike much, get a newer, bigger one when the time comes.

Protective gear could save him from a lifetime of pain.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Hooligan

I have had my two boys riding Motocross with me since they were 11.

Firstly, I cannot stress enough the importance of a quality helmet. Recommend 6D helmets, or helmet that has a MIPS system.
    He WILL wreck.

Biggest question is what kind of "Dirt Riding" will he be doing? The bikes you listed have pretty terrible suspensions for anything more than just putting around a tame trail, or some smooth dirt roads. Suspension is so important on dirt bikes (I think the right suspension makes the bike safer). For Motocross (tracks and/or jumps) you want a stiffer suspension, for trails, you want softer suspension.

Once you figure out what kind of riding he will be doing, you'll have a good idea of what type of bike to get him. TTR/CRF/KLX etc... vs. YZ/CR/KX etc...

Other factors that I dealt with:
    My oldest son was athletic/coordinated, growing like a weed, and had good common sense, and sense of preservation. After he learned the basics, I put him on a YZ125. He did fantastic, enjoyed the bike, and rode it for a couple years. (Still broke his arm though)

My youngest son was heavier and not as athletic. He couldn't ride the YZ125. I got him a CR150F. It's motocross bike, but it's a four stroke, (I think 4 strokes are easier to ride) with much more power than a Trail bike.

I personally decided to go with Motocross bikes because of the better power, and the suspensions are better, and can be tuned to the rider, and type of riding.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by GunnyZXR; 07-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.

SUPER COMMANDO

Name:  IMG_2109[1].JPG
Views: 319
Size:  2.15 MB I think I've found it ! Smokin deal ! It will always be worth what I'll have to pay for it . I just hope I didn't miss it . Deals like this don't last .Hell I might be late for work today !

SUPER COMMANDO

Yepi I won . I got it . I've already started exploring headers , jet kits , H.D. springs , frame brace , and the Big Bore 120cc kit . My little protégé wants to become a mechanic . So we have his first erector set now . New ridin buddy to boot ! He'll be waving the rising sun flag from now on .

Born In The USA

Nice looking bike! I am sure he is pumped up.

I have tell a story;
    My son was 10, and we were in the garage cleaning up our bikes. He had a YZ80 and I had a YZ400. My preference for American made goods is not new.

He was happily wiping down his pride and joy when, "Dad, where do they make these Yamahas?" The look of astonishment was priceless, and I explained that bikes like that are not made here, and he was better.
    When we were out riding, as long as there was gas, he was on his bike.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

SUPER COMMANDO

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    The first couple of bikes should be somewhat expendable. Something that parts are easy to get for, as it is going to see some damage. Rather than trying to improve the bike much, get a newer, bigger one when the time comes.
    I really should take this into consideration before putting too much money into it and never being able to get it back out of it . I guess it depends on how aggressive of a rider he becomes . Our first project is a set of new tires and tubes .
    Protective gear could save him from a lifetime of pain.

I unloaded it at home and buzzed around the property . Man this is one cool little ride . Kathy even took it out for a spin . She was grinning from ear to ear . Jace doesn't know anything about the motorcycle yet . We have been keeping it hush hush . He just got back from his summer visitation with his father. I told Kathy we'll have to get the guest bedroom in order . He's never going to want to go home . I have to figure out what is a appropriate wage for him . I want to keep a log of some type so he earns it . Any thoughts on this ? We've discussed using it as a tool for keeping him focused in school as well .

Born In The USA

I can understand that. Perhaps he could earn time on your bike.

Another way of looking at it is, if it is a gift for him, then he owns it. If I gave you a shirt and told you when to wear it, what would you do? Right, you would be resentful and rip it to pieces.

I took him riding without qualification. During that period, a don't recall anything going on that would result in him not going with me. It was his bike, but he could not ride it until we were at the place, and I owned the car to pull the trailer there.

"Son, I know it's your room, but it's my TV. If you want to watch my TV, you need to clean your room." You have to be clever sometimes, but the reward is they may nor rebel. My sons never rebelled like I did, and we have always had a great relationship.

As I watched my son playing rough with an expensive remote control toy I said, "You are teaching me, son." "What am I teaching you, Dad?" "You are teaching me to not buy you expensive toys." It belonged to him. As long as what he did to it did not affect my stuff, I had to let him play his way. Later in life, he remembered that.

Good luck!

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

The Apostrophe Bar & Grill
    SE Texas. Close to LA and the Gulf of Mehico. Port Arthur, to be specific.

JMO.....I wouldn't pipe it or bore 'til he rides pretty proficiently. Learning to work on them at first could be changing fluids and plug, cleaning the filter etc.
    Don't try to get him to your level too fast. Let it all make sense to him first.
    Ain't this boogie a mess?

I used to be....

Congratulations we have enjoyed small bikes for years and what you got is the best of all small bikes.

headers - ebay used ones show up occasionally - we've run early generation XR headers on latter models including CRF and had to space the number plate out, never had problems going with one made for latter generation to older (most any single shock model should work)

jet kits - not aware of one but a Kehin PE24 with stock bore and header or a PE26 with a big bore kit

H.D. springs - BBR Motorsports Forks & Shock , used to be a place called Mini Bike springs, they offered multiple selections for the forks

frame brace - the Banke model is very heavy (steel), BBR is much lighter, unless an adult is riding aggressively probably not needed

Big Bore 120cc kit although we have had them I believe engine life suffers and wouldn't do it again

Cam - although you didn't ask it's another I would not do again

Ignition box - not needed, increases rev limiter but no perceived performance impact

We have had several XR/CRF's over the years, best advice is keep the air filter clean & oiled, change the oil, & keep valves adjusted. If you really want to go the mod route, if the suspension is bottoming out get the BBR springs (fork & shock), sooner or latter it will need to be done. Headers can be found for around $100 but may take time. The Kehin PE24 is a nice upgrade and really wakes up the top end. I preferred the K&N "pod" filter, seemed to help performance a bit but used off-road may not be ideal. You can do more work but engine life seems to suffer. We have had some heavily modified mini-bikes and close to stock is the most fun. Josh Herrin has a racing series at his place (paved go-kart track & dirt flat track) and the stock 100 class is the most competitive with the largest fields. You can see some Pro level riders there in the off season. We used them for racing in parking lots, paved go-kart tracks, and dirt flat tracking. We ran 17" wheels with GP125 slicks or rain tires. Traveled all over the southeast for a couple of years when the kids were young and there was a mini-bike racing series (SEMRA).

Most fun was with a backyard track, mini moto-cross and flat track, kids had a 100 lap race the day school got out (Flamingo 100), my wife said the dust was everywhere and that was after stopping a couple of times to water
    Last edited by AL Terry; 07-31-2018 at 09:30 PM.

SUPER COMMANDO

Thanks a lot Terry ! Great information . I ordered new tires and tubes yesterday . I can't wait till this weekend . Man are we going to fun . It was really cool the young man that sold me the little bike is another long time resident . He has some beautiful bikes . Custom painted Busa , ZX6 , 4 wheeler and new KLX110 . We start to B.S. and it ends up he had gone through the vo-tech school here . A good friend of mine was the instructor back in the 90's . My buddy often asked me to go teach with him . I never felt the calling back then . I made good money flat rating at the dealerships . But I did get a lead on where he's living . Pretty close to my home too . I'll do a F.B. search and see if I can run him down . It would be good to catch up after so many years . Funny how life is when you stay planted in a community . Living in Florida you get the transients coming and going . Always looking for something new or a better life . Most of the short term ones that end up here find out they picked the wrong town for them . It's too slow . You learn to recognize which types are here to stay and the ones that are just passing through . My buddy Toby always talked about going to Spokane or Colorado . I guess he found his peace on the North side of the river out here in the sticks .

SUPER COMMANDO

Jace and I had nothing but smiles all day . We discussed many things .While we were working in the garden . We had a bag of weeds that was almost popping at the seems . His thought was to put another bag over the top . I saw this as a teachable moment . So I explained compression ratio's and pistons to him . We got it all in one bag . My comparison was loosely packed the bag was full . but compressed we could get 10 times that amount of weeds in the bag . Higher compression = Mo power . I know that it's going to take time for him to grasp things like this . But my thought is let him take it all in get his mind thinking . Repeat as often as necessary .I didn't know this , but his maternal father is a motorcycle mechanic in New York . So this boy is surrounded by mechanical knowledge . I want to teach him the values of hard work and the rewards you receive from it . Danielle , Ben and myself have talked about this and Jace's responsibilities . I told Jace this is his motorcycle . That I approved his loan for the cost of it . We are starting off paying him $6 per hour with quarterly raises . Each report card , as he passes , he will get an additional $ .25 . So as he goes into the next grade he will paid $7 per hour and so on . I have a ebay wish list set up for him for cool things we can add to his bike as he becomes a better rider .Name:  IMG_2121[1].JPG
Views: 188
Size:  4.13 MBMy new riding buddy . He went home with blisters on his clutch hand .
    Last edited by No prescription needed; 08-05-2018 at 07:21 AM.

President of the ZRXOA

Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

SUPER COMMANDO

I don't have photos , my bad . But we have done a few repairs and our first mod . We first addressed the dry rotted tires . Following Jace I noticed the rear wheel wobbling . There were a few broken spokes . I ordered new tires and tubes along with a complete spoke set . It was the second time in my life that I had re-spoked a wheel . Boring job but I got it done . While it was apart I inspected the rear brakes . They were fine but the chain and sprockets were another issue . For our first mod . I gave Jace the option standard gear ratio 14/50 or modified 13/50 . He chose the later . In his words " That will make it faster off the rip ! " . Yes my young Padawan . He's become bored riding around on the dirt roads here . His skills have improved greatly . He's getting air now ! I have 5 acres and a few pepper trees left on the perimeter of the property . I've shown him where he can ride and not tear up the fields . And with my backhoe we'll put in a few small jumps for him . I'll defiantly add some pictures as he learns to jump .