+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    President of the ZRXOA

Re: I've got shite luck

What a weird failure
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold4x4 View Post
    It devolved to the point in the last mile that it won't even crank now. Choke had no effect on it from what I could tell that last mile it had the be kept above 3 grand to not sound like a bucket of rocks bouncing around. It's possible that there is some trash in the carbs or I got bad gas. Unfortunately I'm short on tools here and I can't make everyone else suffer through my diagnosis period. I'll look Sunday when I get home. Just was in a foul mood this morning and was venting didn't mean to blow off any good ideas on how to trouble shoot it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Nevermind...I gave some suggestions already...

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Color Monitor

Well, along with that cam, your head is toast also. Time to look for a used head and cams. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Going to be a lot of metal ran through that motor so a complete tear down to clean it all out or just find a complete replacement motor.

BadAss Hooligan

WOW - I've never seen a failure like this before. Good Luck

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

Yea replacement is looking like the correct path here. But I dunno... , I guess I've got to side line the zrx for a while and get some other projects done so she can get the attention she needs.

Just disheartening mainly.

2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

BadAss Hooligan

Yea replacement is looking like the correct path here. But I dunno... , I guess I've got to side line the zrx for a while and get some other projects done so she can get the attention she needs.

Just disheartening mainly.
    Hang in There!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Devilsí Advocate

I posted in another thread on this:

Rocker shafts could be in the wrong positions. It is in the shop manual, but you have to look hard to find the info. The oiling holes are in different locations on each.

Oil lines: Are the GREG Couchís, or from somewhere else?

Itís easy to crack/bend the cams on install...you can even break one when installing...call me for info on this.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

"Itís easy to crack/bend the cams on install...you can even break one when installing... "

Very true statement, oem cams are hardened cast iron, thus they are very brittle, must install tightening bearing caps evenly, etc. Seen this kind of failure before.

Orig. owner, 99 ZRX, 61k+
    ZX11cams,pistons
    Stick coils, DIM Harness
    Cam degree 105 int.,107 exh.
    Fact. 1.0 w/Ti.,108 MJ
    Airbox w/ K+N
    Full Akro
    OEM ign. +5 Adv
    Dyno 131.7 HP/80.4 TQ.
    Ohlins RS, Race tech fork
    Fork brace+Steering damper

"TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" IS EASY, RETURNING IS THE REAL CHALLENGE.

" WHEN YOU OWN A CHINESE PRODUCT, ALL CHINESE SPARE PARTS ARE OEM QUALITY "

BadAss Hooligan

Would it make since that the cams and caps have been in place for almost 5k miles before this failure? Not saying I couldn't have screwed up and I'd be happier knowing that it was a dumb installation issue. However I'm quite certain the caps were put back on in the correct order and torqued to spec. I have gopro time lapse of the install thst I'll go back and check.

My gut says that KWICK's idea about knicking an oring during reassembly of the bottom end during the transmission swap seems like the likely culprit. As that was less than a couple of hundred miles previous. Also that was a rush job trying to get the bike ready for a track day so I'm more likely to beleive that's where the fault lies than when I was doing the 1109 build over the course of the winter and being pretty damn careful.

2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

Devilsí Advocate

Check the rocker shaft markings as you take it apart.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Check the rocker shaft markings as you take it apart.
    I've never pulled the rocker shafts off. But the rockers on 2 and 3 are destroyed. If they were ever swapped it was before my ownership over 30k miles ago.

Devilsí Advocate

I've never pulled the rocker shafts off. But the rockers on 2 and 3 are destroyed. If they were ever swapped it was before my ownership over 30k miles ago.

Just giving the possibilities without all the facts.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Just giving the possibilities without all the facts.
    No I definitely appreciate the brain storming. It's just painful to know I have to go back through the entire motor yet again...

President of the ZRXOA

Iím so sorry this happened to you.

Iím sure youíre gutted, but at least you have the know how to fix it.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Devilsí Advocate

No I definitely appreciate the brain storming. It's just painful to know I have to go back through the entire motor yet again...

I know the feeling...but knowing what happened will help it not happen again :-)

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Color Monitor

Would it make since that the cams and caps have been in place for almost 5k miles before this failure? Not saying I couldn't have screwed up and I'd be happier knowing that it was a dumb installation issue. However I'm quite certain the caps were put back on in the correct order and torqued to spec. I have gopro time lapse of the install thst I'll go back and check.

My gut says that KWICK's idea about knicking an oring during reassembly of the bottom end during the transmission swap seems like the likely culprit. As that was less than a couple of hundred miles previous. Also that was a rush job trying to get the bike ready for a track day so I'm more likely to beleive that's where the fault lies than when I was doing the 1109 build over the course of the winter and being pretty damn careful.

What did you mean by this statement in post #60?

"The cam caps were loose on the intake cam but it had been probably 3 or 4k miles since I'd opnerd the valve cover."

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    What did you mean by this statement in post #60?

"The cam caps were loose on the intake cam but it had been probably 3 or 4k miles since I'd opnerd the valve cover."

TG
    When we pulled the valve cover the cam caps on the intake cam were loose and barely still on. The bearings were trashed as well. The last time I had the valve cover off was when I did the 1109 upgrade and did the double valve spring install. Almost certain I torqued those properly as I did it on the bench not in the bike.

A machinist friend believes they came loose after it snapped the cam and likely had work enough material away that it rattled like hell for a minute or so until I cut it off. Which jives with the original though of it sounds like rocks in the engine.

Devilsí Advocate

Did you install Kawasaki springs? APE? Kibble White?

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

Did you install Kawasaki springs? APE? Kibble White?
    As far as I know they were used zx-11 springs. But looks like the springs and keepers are all still exactly where they are supposed to be it did spit 3 shims out.

RIP - 9/15/2019

Were the springs on the oil rail side of the rocker shafts installed? Part number 92144B - if they are 'missing' then the
    rocker shaft can move, causing the oil holes to mis-align. If the oil rail bolts had been removed they may not have made
    it back into in.

Happened on my bike.