+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Ordered a new set of tires

Just ordered a set of the Michelin PR4 GT’s. The Angel GT spec A’s lasted just under 7k. I found a nail in the rear tonight mid way to the sidewall from center so I figured I would just change them out due to the scalloping the front tire experienced during my recent trip to Colorado which was probably my own fault for not having the forks set correctly. No complaints with the Angels I just thought I would go back to a Michelin as that is the tire brand I have normally used

c10's best friend

Re: Ordered a new set of tires

I like the 3's better than the 4's, put a new set on last September (regular 3, not the GT) and they are almost gone at 12,400 miles. Going to try the 5's this time.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

Hooligan

I just put PR5s on mine and so far I like them.

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX Mitch View Post
    I like the 3's better than the 4's, put a new set on last September (regular 3, not the GT) and they are almost gone at 12,400 miles. Going to try the 5's this time.
    Twelve four miles.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

I'm running the PR4 and for a commuter they are great (particularly in the wet) and last better than any other I tried so far. For those who are running the new PR5, please share your impressions.
    Member # 10024 - 99 ZRX1100
    Les Coqs Sauvages - We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us...
    "A little extra is never enough…too much is just right..." - KWICK

BadAss Hooligan

I'm on my second set of PR4 GTs on my Connie. First set lasted a little over 10K, probably a little over 3K on my second set. Inflation on the front tire is important to avoid cupping. I had a bit on the first one, been much more careful on the new one, and not seeing any cupping yet.

Bob
    tufcj

BadAss Hooligan

What tire pressure do you usually set?
    Les Coqs Sauvages - We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us...

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj View Post
    I'm on my second set of PR4 GTs on my Connie. First set lasted a little over 10K, probably a little over 3K on my second set. Inflation on the front tire is important to avoid cupping. I had a bit on the first one, been much more careful on the new one, and not seeing any cupping yet.

Bob
    tufcj
    What do you normally run on the front for pressure?

BadAss Hooligan

Kawasaki suggests 42PSI. I've kept my latest PR4 GT front at 40+ with no cupping. I ran the last one at 37-38, and did see some cupping.

Bob
    tufcj

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj View Post
    Kawasaki suggests 42PSI. I've kept my latest PR4 GT front at 40+ with no cupping. I ran the last one at 37-38, and did see some cupping.

Bob
    tufcj
    Thanks

Licensed to Mod
    Leeds,Alabama(about 5 miles from Barbers Motorsports Park)

Quote Originally Posted by sebintheworld View Post
    I'm running the PR4 and for a commuter they are great (particularly in the wet) and last better than any other I tried so far. For those who are running the new PR5, please share your impressions.
    I'm running PR5's on the 02 Zed right now. So far (only around 1700 miles on them) they are the best tires
    I've ever ran on it. I've had the PR2 on it before these and they are good but these 5's are great. Good turn in,
    road feel, and the wet, they shine. They keep the ole girl in line as well, just turn in and put down the power.

He is I

Quote Originally Posted by charliezzr View Post
    I've had the PR2 on it before these and they are good but these 5's are great. Good turn in,
    road feel, and the wet, they shine. They keep the ole girl in line as well, just turn in and put down the power.
    this ^
    uuhh the other larry - rwynant 2009

remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday - dale carnegie

four time winner of the ZRXOA picture game

zrxoa #8603

05 zrx 1200r - ludicrous speed
    01 zrx 1200r - proof my wife loves me
    02 zrx 1200r - cause there is no substitute for torque
    03 zrx 1200r - triton's bride limits him to four
    95 HD sportster 883 - for the buzz

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

I've got a brand new set of road 5's in the garage I'm putting on my 14r before I leave for Austin in April. I'll probably have 4k or so by the time I get home. I roasted the stock rear in 4k. Looking forward to feeling sooner good rubber under me.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

CRACKERMAN

42/42 is the magic
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.

Got the road 5's mounted up last night. Wow! The factory tires were crap. The bike handled spool much better it's like a different bike.

I don't understand why the motorcycle manufacturers put crappy tires on their high performance bikes. The car manufacturers sure don't.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

New, but just to this Board

I'm looking at a new set of Michelin PR4 or 5s for my '99 ZRX1100, seems only the PR4GTs are available in the rear stock size. worried that they'll be to stiff since they are recommended for cruisers (heavier bikes).
    What size rear tire are you using? any clearance issues with the chain guard...?

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Gtbells View Post
    I'm looking at a new set of Michelin PR4 or 5s for my '99 ZRX1100, seems only the PR4GTs are available in the rear stock size. worried that they'll be to stiff since they are recommended for cruisers (heavier bikes).
    What size rear tire are you using? any clearance issues with the chain guard...?
    FWIW, Dunlop Roadsmart III is available in the size for your 1100, and a $40 rebate per pair. They are great tires, really like them on my 1200.
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1” risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40’s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

BadAss Hooligan

I ran a PR4 180 sized on my 1100. It's real stiff but if you warm up the tire well, it's doable.

No clearance issues (it's very close, approx. 1/4", to the chain guard but never touched)

Well, after 1,400 miles I can say unequivocally that these are the best tires (outside of slicks) that I've ever run (Miichelin Road 5's). This is after riding the pig trail in Eureka Springs today (I've never done this to a tire on the street before). The chicken strip's still there (about 1/2 centimeter) because I'm VERY FAR from home, along, and still have a ton of riding left to do in the next week and a half.

Name:  IMG_2339.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  525.7 KB
    Last edited by Steve St.Laurent; 04-08-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

BadAss Hooligan

Arkansas roads will do that to tires ,

mine looked the same last time I was there
    01 ZRX 1200 green
    00 ZRX 1100 black
    12 C14 connie red
    2003 KLX 400
    2004 CRF100
    2008 CRF100
    2016 300 Ninja
    2017 Z125 Pro
    " Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars"

" That which you manifest is before you " Enzo

ZRXOA# 8746