+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adventure Bikes

BadAss Hooligan

Adventure Bikes

I have lost interest lately in riding trails on my Beta 480. Been thinking, for a while now, about a KTM 1090 or 1290. They are monster bikes for sure but for me, I think they are the best bikes for our shit roads and also it would allow me to explore the country via dirt roads. I don't have the skills to ride gnarly stuff on a 500 lbs bike.

Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Africa Twin, Tiger are a couple others that interest me.

Oldcow

Father Joe

Re: Adventure Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by oldcow View Post
    I have lost interest lately in riding trails on my Beta 480. Been thinking, for a while now, about a KTM 1090 or 1290. They are monster bikes for sure but for me, I think they are the best bikes for our shit roads and also it would allow me to explore the country via dirt roads. I don't have the skills to ride gnarly stuff on a 500 lbs bike.

Anyone have any experience with these bikes? Africa Twin, Tiger are a couple others that interest me.

Oldcow
    Fishy ZRX has an Africa Twin. Lemme know if you want his contact info.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

President of the ZRXOA

Iíve ridden the KTM 1290 Adventure on some pretty crappy roads and it does good. Itís pretty heavy though.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

What about the KTM 690...enduro or adventure?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

I used to be....

You didn't mention, may be to street oriented for you wants but I am enjoying a 2014 V-Strom 1000. Looked at the Africa Twin and looks like it would be a better off-road bike but I wanted more street (also cheaper) . Our roads are not great and the longer suspension travel is great, my commute crosses 4 railroad tracks, no slowing down on the V-Strom. Rode the ZRX for the last couple of days and have to slow down much more in many areas. The V-Strom has been great on the interstate, backroads, and dirt/sand roads, if I only had one bike it would be a big adventure bike, can do anything. Have a KLR650 and CRF250 for more serious off-roading.

BadAss Hooligan

Multi quote not working.

Weight is certainly an issue with these monster bikes. Most if not all are all north of 480. They are also very tall and with my 32" inseam that can also be a challenge if off road. And then the 690 although a nice bike which I have ridden is too small for long road miles, in my opinion. I suspect I would do 75% road and 25% dirt roads and I do like the way the big bikes swallow the holes and crevices on our roads. The 1290S has 19 and 17" wheels vs the 21 and 18" wheels on the R version. That might be an option.

The V Strom is a great bike from what I have read.

Oldcow

BadAss Hooligan

Iíve ridden a lot of bikes, I understand your question.
    I currently have a BMW GSW and love it, but some find it too
    heavy.
    Late this year KTM will finally come out with their 790 twin,
    It will be low 340+ pounds, 100 hp, perfect mid size adventure
    Bike, until then you have 3 others,

The Husky 701, fantastic bike, but very dirt oriented.
    BMW GS 800, great all rounder, tall.
    Triumph 800xc , also a great adventure bike, can be lowered.

Maybe buy a good used 800, ride it for a year, sell it for the
    KTM when released, buy used - sell used, least amount of total
    depreciation .

There are many people waiting for that KTM
    If you want something you never had,
    You have to do something you've never done.

BadAss Hooligan

My favorite bike is my KTM 990. It's amazing how well these do for 500 lb bikes. I take my wife on many rough roads. It is also a great touring bike. It has a very comfortable riding position with lots of leg room. I have a 30" inseam, so should not be a problem for you. It allows me to see many places most will never see. The photos are in Big Bend NP and above Silverton, Co. It also handles very well.
    Name:  IMG_5774.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  3.52 MBName:  IMG_1820.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  3.65 MB

BadAss Hooligan

Yes I have been reading about the new KTM 790. Probably good for one up but not 2. Their is always a trade off. I sat on a Tiger 1200 this past Saturday and was almost flat footed. I was surprised o see the shaft drive and was struck by how wide and big it was.

I have a friend who has a 2014 990 all decked out. He may part with it. In no rush and have decided to keep the 480 as I may be doing another woods trip in Newfoundland next summer.

Thanks for all the input.

Oldcow

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by oldcow View Post

Oldcow
    was gettin my Mass stickaa recently at local bike shop...
    and coincidentally shorter kid was tell'in me Africa twin was to tall...
    he was about 5'8"ish...

thats all i got...sorry

BadAss Hooligan

I rented a Tiger 1200 last year in Vegas for a Death Valley ride, and loved it. Didn't get off the pavement much at all, though. I would love to get one if the right deal were to pop up.

Here's the write up on that ride: http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...t=death+valley

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by pezzalini View Post
    I rented a Tiger 1200 last year in Vegas for a Death Valley ride, and loved it. Didn't get off the pavement much at all, though. I would love to get one if the right deal were to pop up.

Here's the write up on that ride: http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...t=death+valley
    Very cool, nice pictures. I have been there on a rental as well, great area.

Oldcow

BadAss Hooligan

Rented this last week. Nothing to look at but very competent bike.Name:  IMG_20180615_175813_029.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  2.54 MB

aka The Streak

Wait for the Yamaha Tenere 700. The engine is based off the FZ-07.

02 ZRX1200R

ZRXOA #8130

Hooligan

I have a KTM 990A and a Husky 701.
    Spent time on a 690 and F800s and a little on a 1200.

The 1090, 1190 and 1290 all look to be great bikes but i really love the 701. I can do 500 miles days on ( with seat and windshield) and its just as fast as my brothers F800, will pull power wheelies in third gear and is awesome offroad and a blast in the twisties. 75HP on a 350lb bike will make you smile all the time.

I'd go with the 701 or the upcoming KTM 790A which i think will be a killer bike.
    An F800gs will do but it feels less exciting all around, but definitely more comfy.

Name:  Screenshot_20180108-114847_resized.png
Views: 222
Size:  871.7 KB

Name:  nv 3.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  192.0 KB
    Attached Images  

BadAss Hooligan

I went to see a slightly used Africa Twin today, its really is a beautiful bike, in my opinion. I did not ride it. I have buddy who sells both Honda and KTM and he offered to let me try both so I will probably do that. But, like others have said, I would prefer to weigh in at 350 lbs vs 525. So I will probably wait and see what next year brings...

Oldcow

Hooligan

I had a Tiger 1050. Loved it. Minnesota roads are like no mans land in WW1. 6+ inches off travel makes fun of crappy roads. a 790 KTM or 700 Super Tenre sounds like fun. plenty of power and light weight. There will be many new adventure bikes coming up, they are one of the few bikes that are selling

RIP 4/11/19

If you look at big adventure bikes, NEVER let the BMW R1200GS out of your equation.
    It can literally do everything and with the new water cooled motors it has plenty of usable oomph.
    You WILL be amazed with the handling and it's very comfy. I had an oil-cooled GS Adventure, but it was just too tall for me.
    The normal GS is quite a bit lower, so it will not be a problem for a 32" inseam.
    The new water cooled ones have traction control, cruise control, semi-active suspension. And they do many many miles if looked after.
    (there are lots for sale over here with HIGH mileage but still for crazy prices)
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

BadAss Hooligan

with my long legs most bikes are too small, the rex is just about big enough. But for commuting I bought a GS last year, I do about 15k per year on the bike just for work and decided to make the rex a bit more of a fun bike.

Since new prices are pretty crazy I bought one with 40000km on the clock for about half the price. I tried the 2018 model but for normal riding I think the oil cooled bikes actually have similar power, bit more down low even. I did fit a power commander and it has a full akra... so maybe I'm biased

We have very little offroad riding here in the Netherlands so limited experience in that field, but the balance is really good, suspension very comfy and easy to adjust with ESA and maintenance is a piece of piss on the oil coolers (little less so on the DOHC)

that said though... the Africa twin is better, but made less sense for me at the moment. Love that bike!

RIP 4/11/19

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    with my long legs most bikes are too small, the rex is just about big enough. But for commuting I bought a GS last year, I do about 15k per year on the bike just for work and decided to make the rex a bit more of a fun bike.

Since new prices are pretty crazy I bought one with 40000km on the clock for about half the price. I tried the 2018 model but for normal riding I think the oil cooled bikes actually have similar power, bit more down low even. I did fit a power commander and it has a full akra... so maybe I'm biased

We have very little offroad riding here in the Netherlands so limited experience in that field, but the balance is really good, suspension very comfy and easy to adjust with ESA and maintenance is a piece of piss on the oil coolers (little less so on the DOHC)

that said though... the Africa twin is better, but made less sense for me at the moment. Love that bike!
    I had EXACTLY the same one as that. Red as well. Great bike. I love the sound as well.
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

aka The Streak

I have a 10 GSA and a 12 690 ER. I ride these bikes mostly when I'm out West.

If your riding is going to include a lot of highway miles to get where you are going, it's hard to beat a GSA. You can easily go 300 miles before fill ups at 75. It can eat up some miles. I've done a couple 1000 mile days on it along with many 700-800 mile days. The 690 gets tiresome after 150 miles or so, especially if it's windy. It is not a highway bike. It can do it, but you'd be miserable after a day. I do not have a windshield on mine, though. That may help a lot.

Off road obviously the 690 wins hands down. GSA can still go off road, but you need to be careful where you go. 2 track and gravel roads it works well.

I know of no ADV bike that weighs 350lb. The Versys X 300 is 380lb. Your only 350lb choice is a Thumper. The 17-18 Husky's use the new 690 Duke engine with a 2nd counter-balancer. It supposedly makes the bike much smoother.

It's either the Husky, or wait for the 700 Tenere and the 790 KTM Adventure. Those 2 still won't be near #350.
    02 ZRX1200R

ZRXOA #8130