+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Weirdly Peculiar

Re: C14 Front Rotor's

Got the Brake Tech 330mm rotors installed yesterday, and raised the oil level in the forks. Test ride after breakfast today. The downside of these huge rotors is you have to remove the pads from the calipers to get the calipers on \ off the mounts for front wheel removal. Not a big deal.

Name:  IMG_3328.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  951.2 KBName:  IMG_3330.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  1.05 MBName:  IMG_3332.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  1,011.8 KBName:  IMG_3339.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  708.2 KBName:  IMG_3341.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  627.1 KBName:  IMG_3338.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  847.2 KB
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack, 46 T rear sprocket, Goodrich brake lines, Galfer rotors, Shorai battery, 4 piston Toxico calipers, Stebel horn, Hi Point wheels, RaceTech front forks, Ohlins, Speed Triple bar end mirrors

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

Weirdly Peculiar

First ride report. Per Brake Tech instructions the brakes were used at 65% of normal on the way to lunch where the pic was taken. Then used at 85% of normal when the bite increased due to pads bedding in. Just have to complete the process with three 70 to 20 mph maximum stops in a row to complete the material transfer. At this point I'm using less lever pressure to stop the bike, the lever feels firmer with almost no travel, and they definitely feel more powerful.

Name:  IMG_3348.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  817.6 KB
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack, 46 T rear sprocket, Goodrich brake lines, Galfer rotors, Shorai battery, 4 piston Toxico calipers, Stebel horn, Hi Point wheels, RaceTech front forks, Ohlins, Speed Triple bar end mirrors

In Charge of McGov Only

BrakeTech says those only fit the 2014 and up.

Weirdly Peculiar

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    BrakeTech says those only fit the 2014 and up.
    Mine's a 2010, no fitment issues at all.

I ordered BTK-625.SKZ. Says '06 and up ZX-14R. One thing I did do was look at the 2010 and 2008 C14 rotor part #'s and a few years of ZX-14 rotor part #'s. all the same until 2011 when the modified for warpage rotor came out but still the same for both bikes.

In Charge of McGov Only

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post
    Mine's a 2010, no fitment issues at all.

I ordered BTK-625.SKZ. Says '06 and up ZX-14R. One thing I did do was look at the 2010 and 2008 C14 rotor part #'s and a few years of ZX-14 rotor part #'s. all the same until 2011 when the modified for warpage rotor came out but still the same for both bikes.
    Well as usual, great product, but his website still sucks.

In Charge of McGov Only

I found their PDF spec sheet, yep all the same.

Weirdly Peculiar

Stop drooling....

President of the ZRXOA

C14 Front Rotor's

Best rotors EVER!!!

Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Weirdly Peculiar

Update: I now have the firmest front brake lever I've ever felt. I've moved the lever 2 clicks closer to the bar to maintain hand position. I'm thinking it's due to the Braketech rotors being a true full floating rotor, not a semi-rigid affair like the stock Kawasaki's or the Galfers. I bombed a long off ramp with no traffic behind me to get the hard stops in and found it was ridiculously easy to engage the ABS with 2 fingers, good thing 'cause I might have locked the front at 85 mph otherwise. A major re-calibration. Attempt #2 got 3 hard braking sequences down to 20 mph (and the acceleration back up to 65+) in one off ramp. Anybody watching would have laughed their butt off at the idiot on the off ramp...

BadAss Hooligan
    Indiana, United States. Amazingly close to 40.000N 86.000W

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFun View Post
    C14's were known for being hard on the front brakes. Weight + Lots of power = warped rotors. When I began looking into them people (including myself) went to a good set of EBC rotors and now they seem to last and not pulse as easily. Your results may vary...... I do not recall a recall either....

Cory
    The reports of warping on C14 front rotors are, in my experience, incorrect. I've worked on a number of these bikes, including my own, that were reported to have warped discs but, upon measuring, there is no warp found. The runout is well within spec. What I have found, however, is a set of 4 "rough" spots on the rotors that are exactly the size of the brake pads. These areas can't be seen but they can be detected by running your fingers over the braking surface. It's my theory that these rough spots are caused by some chemical or electro-chemical reaction between the pad material and the rotor material under certain circumstances. Not sure what conditions, possibly related to parking hot and wet or something else. But these rough areas cause the friction to increase as they pass under the pads and you get a "pulsating" sensation especially under light braking.

I've had success with a 3M paint remover disc to remove this roughness without removing much rotor material.

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

I also believe it's pad material transfer that is the issue as I had similar issues with the Ninja 1000. I tried a number of methods to remove the material but it always came back eventually. It wasn't until I switched to aftermarket (EBC) rotors that it went away for good (well, 2 years so far.......).

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

c10's best friend

My C14, bought used with 6k miles, had a slight pulsing that was only felt and very slow speeds and was a PITA when in very slow traffic. I found a procedure on a Connie board and tried it, it fixed my problem completely. It involved nut/screw/washers and spinning the bobbins while spraying with brake cleaner.
    Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//