+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan

Dirt bike project started - Kawi KMX 125 followed us home

As some might have noticed, ours son Tristan wanted to buy his first bike - a dirt bike of course - and he asked me for my unbiased () opinion. So guess the manufacturer we selected...
    Name:  IMG_2364.JPG
Views: 537
Size:  215.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_2361.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  213.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_2363.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  184.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2366.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  230.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_2365.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  219.1 KB

He wanted something he could finance by himself so the budget was limited. We found this KMX 125 that someone has started working on (mostly removing parts and losing screws ) to turn it from a road legal enduro into a cross bike. But he was not really knowing apparently what he was doing...

Anyways. We got it for 450€ and the engine started after 5 kicks even being ice cold at -5C.

So the baseline to start from is ok but it will need a lot of work which is ok since this is also intended to be a father/son project to get Tristan into wrenching before getting into riding.

What I noticed right away is that the forks are bleeding out so my first try at a fork rebuilt will be not on the Rex, but on this little baby.

Then the clutch has a problem - when I pull the clutch, the lever down at the case does move but the clutch doesn't separate and when I shift into first the engine dies right away with a little jump of the bike.
    Any ideas other than replacing the discs?

Brakes seem to work but I will rebuilt them anyway. As well as the carburetor and basically everything that is on the bike.
    Most of this with Tristan doing the work under my supervision (and probably after I asked you guys here how to do it before ).

So, this will probably be the starting post of a veeeery long thread and at the end Tristan will have a nice (not mint, that is not in the focus) running dirt bike to learn the ropes of riding with.

First steps will be now to tear down parts and see what is missing, what needs replacement or overhaul and what can be kept with just a little brushing and polishing (probably not much regarding the latter).

May the games begin and I hope, I will not have to pest you too much here with my ignorance of dirt bikes and two strokes.
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Dirt bike project started - Kawi KMX 125 followed us home

There should be an adjustment for the clutch cable, try that before digging into any clutch parts
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

BadAss Hooligan

I've used the adjustments (top at the lever and lower at the casing) already and as I said, the lower lever at the casing makes quite a way when I pull the clutch. It just does not separate. I will change the oil in the tranny, maybe that does help it already. In the viewing glass I can't see anything.
    As I take it from the service manual the tranny is just filled with motor oil (e.g. SAE 10W40) which surprised me a little. I expected that they'd use something special in there.
    If that does not help either, I will open the patient. Maybe even though on the outside I see the mechanism move, still nothing happens inside...

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

So no oil in the clutch? That'll make it grabby! After you sort out the oil, I've had clutches that get grabby after sitting for a long time. It may need a ride to loosen things back up.
    My other rides:
    1968 Harley Davidson XLH
    1986 Honda V65 Magna 1100
    1985 Honda V45 Magna 700
    2001 Harley Electra Glide 124" S&S
    2005 Honda CR450F

2009 Hooligan of the year

First thought on the clutch issue is sticking clutch plates. Especially if its been sitting up for a while.

President of the ZRXOA

Dirt bike project started - Kawi KMX 125 followed us home

Subscribed!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Hooligan

Fill it with oil then take it out and beat on it . Put it in gear then pull in the clutch and rock it back and forth . That should loosen it up enough to start it . Then ride it like you stole it . That should loosen it up .

Nice choice for a first bike .

I have a kx 125 does the same thing if I let it sit .

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for the thoughts on the clutch guys. I was hoping the same that some fresh oil and getting everything moving in there again might do the trick already.

The viewing glass is pitch black - I could not tell whether there is oil in there or not.
    But if there's anything in there I bet it is oooooooooold.
    I'll drain it and see whether anything more than dirty air comes out...

I'll be back for reports on that (and other things ).

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Subscribed!
    You'll be bored my friend.

BadAss Hooligan

Update: Not much has happened lately.

It sat for a while without being touched. I just bought more missing parts on ebay classifieds.
    We are still dismounting the Baby Kaw and I am surprised by how many parts you can just leave off a bike or mount with arbitrary screws and still it'll hold together...

The frame will soon be all naked and then Tristan can start cleaning and sanding of the rusty parts for later black finishing.
    It will not be a show&shine job since it is supposed to be just a dirt bike and Tristan has to finance it all by himself (with a little sponsoring of course ) but nevertheless we will try to make it look good with the skills and equipment we have.

Photos of the next steps are soon to follow - I thought an almost empty frame is not too exciting.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ZRX View Post

Photos of the next steps are soon to follow - I thought an almost empty frame is not too exciting.
    Ah, what the hell - I'll post one anyway...
    Name:  IMG_2499.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  173.4 KB

BadAss Hooligan

Rear brake and engine is out. I had to laugh out loud when I took the engine out of the frame and remembered what it felt like when I swapped the Rex engine.

Front and rear suspension as well as the swingarm will be next but we are waiting for the bike stand that I ordered to handle things more easily.
    Name:  41tdWU9cImL.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  26.0 KB

In the meantime Tristan is cleaning and preparing the frame for some refreshing black paint.
    Name:  IMG_2519.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  173.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_2522.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  174.4 KB

The paint on the frame really does not look too bad and there is not to much rust on the frame (mainly superficial).
    So we will deal with the corroded spots (sanding and rust converter) and just roughen up the rest so it holds the new paint.
    I will teach him the fondness for manually applied sanding paper today.

The swingarm etc. will need a little more work with regards to preps for fresh paint.

I noticed btw that the rear wheel has huge play on the LH side sitting on the axle. I almost doubt that a bearing can be shot in a way that allows for such play.
    I tend to think that someone forgot to put a required spacer or something like that in there. I will see when I remove the wheel and compare the parts to the exploded view in the shop manual/parts catalog.

It would not surprise me though since during disassembly I noticed how many parts (mainly bolts and brackets) were lost/omitted/forgotten or simply de-materialized over the years.

Tristan is so proud and loves the thought that we both ride Kawasakis...

Edit: Oh yeah, not to forget: those bolts that are actually in there still are 90% non-original and filled up with 3-5 washers when too long etc.
    We will treat that poor little Kaw better and give her a good and loving home.
    Last edited by Black-ZRX; 04-17-2018 at 06:01 AM.

RIP 4/11/19

I will teach him the fondness for manually applied sanding paper today.
    That is exactly how I got into bikes. Hand sanding frames and fairings...

Great to see your son getting into it like that! That is something that's missing from the youth, especially here in Europe.

Wish I had a son to share the love/obsession/addiction/sickness like that!
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

President of the ZRXOA

Looks like fun Heino. He sounds motivated!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

He definitely is.
    Stand should arrive tomorrow, then the rest will come off.

Found so much dirt in the airbox today that I was surprised that the carb was rather clean.
    You easily could've grown peanuts in there.
    It was held together with just one third of the intended screws by the way.

BadAss Hooligan

A proper stand really helps a lot.
    Name:  IMG_2525.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  2.13 MB

Not much actual progress today though since Tristan has training today.

RIP 4/11/19

Ah a Kärcher. One of the best inventions ever!
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

BadAss Hooligan

1. Yes - I love that Kärcher.

2. I giv up on the flipped pics, sorry guys.

RIP 4/11/19

Don't lie on your side when taking the pictures...

BadAss Hooligan

Not much happened lately. Pulled the rear axle and brushed up all the components attached to that.
    They looked horribly neglected, rusty, bent, etc.
    Name:  rear_axle2.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  56.9 KB

The outcome is ok IMO for the purpose of the bike and the "low budget" constraint.
    Name:  rear_axle.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  640.7 KB

Next out will be rear shock and swingarm but I had to drain the linkage nuts in penetrating oil over night first because they wouldn't budge yesterday. I hope they are mor willing today.

Oh yes - and this here has taken more time already than I ever would've expected: One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

BadAss Hooligan

Making slow progress.

The link bolts at the rear suspension are stuck so I had to remove the entire unit with links, swingarm, and shock to get it to my brother's shop where I have proper power tools.

Good thing that I get it all apart since all bolts and joints need cleaning and greasing badly.

Name:  IMG_2610.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  2.20 MB

President of the ZRXOA

Good move

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks buddy.
    Unfortunately I don't get to wrenching every day. Thus the slow progress.

I don't think I will lure away too many from your build threads with this, man.

President of the ZRXOA

You’re talking to the guy that took 1/3 of a year to build a ZRX engine so I know all about slow!

BadAss Hooligan

Removed the stand today. The old trick with coins (or little plates in my case) inserted in the springs to make removal/installations piece of cake is always helpful (sorry for the blurred pic).
    Name:  IMG_2614.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  1.29 MB

I was able to at least get the rear shock out w/o power tools.
    Name:  IMG_2612.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  1.20 MB

But the bolts and nuts on the rods won't give up easily. Notice all the grime and dirt collected over time. I will properly clean up all that, remove the bushes and needle bearings, and clean/inspect everything and replace if necessary. Then I will grease it all up nicely before reinstall. The PO even managed to lose one of the swingarm dust seals...
    Once everything's removed from the swingarm it will be properly sanded down and repainted in silver.
    Name:  IMG_2611.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  1.35 MB

Then I removed the forks to reseal and change the oil. The cover plate is just held by a retainer ring and should come out after removing that. With the one side that worked fine but the other is stuck. Also it sits lower than the other so it did not even touch the retaining ring.
    Any ideas how to get that one out? Penetrating oil and some careful punches did not help. I will try with a heat gun later, maybe that will separate it from the tube.
    Name:  IMG_2618.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  1.25 MB

While I was struggling with the forks, Tristan continued his oh so loved "straightening of the rad fins".
    Name:  IMG_2617.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  1.82 MB

After everything was off the frame, Tristan continued to prepare it for repainting by sanding everything down to roughen the existing paint up so the new primer and black paint will hold.
    Notice the joy and excitement in his expression.
    Name:  IMG_2621.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  3.15 MB

BadAss Hooligan

I could not let the swingarm rods get away with it...

Powertools? We don't need no stinkin' powertools!
    Name:  IMG_2622.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  1.53 MB

A little lever arm extension and bodyweight did the trick.
    Name:  IMG_2623.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  1.43 MB
    Last edited by Black-ZRX; 05-11-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo again...

BadAss Hooligan

After giving them a little love things look better already.
    Name:  IMG_2624.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  1.57 MB

Stuffed Up

I could not let the swingarm rods get away with it...

Powertools? We don't need now stinkin' powertools!

A little lever arm extension and bodyweight did the trick.
    Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world
    - Some guy

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

The Mod Father

I'm loving this thread........good work.!!
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY
    August 2019 BOTM..

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
    I'm loving this thread........good work.!!
    Thanks Brian. From the grandmaster of build threads I appreciate this as a huge compliment.

Must be painful for you to watch though. We just have to keep many parts as they are and just brush them up as good as possible. The budget is limited and it is supposed to be just a dirt bike after all.

BadAss Hooligan

Finished the swingarm paint job today. It's not perfect and I was not able to remove all the blemishes it had from its history but for its intended use it's ok I guess.
    Rattle can primer and silver for 3,50 € each. Silver got a little brighter than the original color but I'm fine with that.
    Name:  IMG_2629.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  3.59 MB
    Name:  IMG_2630.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  1.63 MB
    Name:  IMG_2631.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  1.93 MB
    Name:  IMG_2632.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  2.12 MB