+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    I'm Not The Favorite

Re: Dirt bike project started - Kawi KMX 125 followed us home

Quote Originally Posted by riturbo View Post
    You might want to check but some of the kawasaki cylinders aren't boreable . They have some kind of coating/plating on them and once they get damaged the only thing you can do is replace the cylinder or have it re-plated . I know my kx 125 is like that . So you might want to check before you take a hone to it .

If it were mine I would just replace the piston and rings .

Do some homework before you try and hone it
    This is why I love this place. There´s always someone that knows the answer!
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by jacohatt View Post

I do appreciate a mature adult conversation like this very much.
    Last edited by Black-ZRX; 06-28-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed ... skydiving is not for you.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by riturbo View Post
    You might want to check but some of the kawasaki cylinders aren't boreable . They have some kind of coating/plating on them and once they get damaged the only thing you can do is replace the cylinder or have it re-plated . I know my kx 125 is like that . So you might want to check before you take a hone to it .

If it were mine I would just replace the piston and rings .

Do some homework before you try and hone it
    Thanks for the heads-up. They are plated indeed. So I will just smoothen the surface where it worked grooves into the barrel and drop a new piston kit into the engine. Can't make it worse...

I did not find any debris of the broken ring land in the crank case by the way. Also the crank shaft moves smoothly and the rod bearing shows no vertical play.
    I guess we'll be fine with new piston, wrist pin, and rings.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

Ok so Heino I was wondering how you're son earns his pocket money? As in how long before we can see him buzzing around on his first Kawasaki?
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BOTM JUNE 2018 THE VANILLA GORILLA

BadAss Hooligan

He has a lot of stuff like Legos etc. that he is selling to fund the bike. Also he gets some pocket money each month (but he also has other things to spend that on, so not all of this goes into the bike).
    To gather the money for the piston I offered him to polish my SS exhaust system that still looks miserable from the rally through the rain three weeks ago - that would pay 2/3 of the piston.
    And then there's occasional rewards for good grades in school etc.

I guess the baby Kaw should be finished by August/September but then there is still the question of transportation to be solved since we will have to find and buy a suitable trailer first. And for the trailer we will need a car with a hitch and that will not be available before December when my wife gets her new company car (BMW 2-series Coupé).

So, realistically you will probably not see him ride on that bike before next spring; I hope that this is not too much of a disappointment for the audience here.

I'm Not The Favorite

He can always go pack the racks at the Lidl/Aldi to fund it faster.

But the main issue is WHY would a 2-series coupé get a tow hitch??????
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

Smokey 'ash
    Arashphalt

Dirt bike project started - Kawi KMX 125 followed us home

How much do the piston and rings cost Heino?
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Just call me Gordon

I think I know where your going with this Arash , count me in ✅

NOV 2017 BOTM

BadAss Hooligan

You're really the best guys.

It is not about the money, I or his mother could easily afford that. It is more that Tristan learns the value of money and he wants this bike to be build on his own money.

Thanks again for the super-kind thought guys - the brotherhood here is unparalleled.

Of course I am sponsoring the one or the other part already, not every item lands on his bill...
    Last edited by Black-ZRX; 06-29-2018 at 10:03 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

Quoting does not work again...

Jaco: it is hard to find a job for a 12 year old boy. The shops are not allowed to hire younger than 16.
    He is planning to get a job as paper boy, that's allowed at that age.

The tow hitch is detachable, so it will only be visible when we are towing the trailer.
    A proper aftermarket hitch for mine would cost around 800€. With her new company car it costs us nothing. Do the math.

Smokey 'ash
    Arashphalt

Dirt bike project started - Kawi KMX 125 followed us home

I was wondering if he had any skills or hobbies which could prove useful to me.

I’m looking for an artist to do a rendering of my bike and wanted to ask if that’s something up his alley.

I used to sweep hangars and wash dirty rental airplanes to earn cash before I could legally work. I had my first car at 15 though and I was really pumped after all the time I invested to get the cash.

You only truly appreciate something when you work for it instead of getting it handed to you.

The car was a canary yellow 1976 Triumph Spitfire that I bought for $1500. I spent the next year giving it a “DuPont” overhaul as I wanted to learn how it all worked but had no money to actually rebuild anything.

What a POS! I was not a good owner to that car LOL

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for sharing those memories Arash, I love that kind of stories from the past.

He can wash your plane if you fly it over.

He is more a video editor than a photoshopper unfortunately, but if you send the pic and tell us what your intentions are, maybe he can do something - it's worth asking at least. He is regularly doing some pixel-pushing for the titles of his videos.
    Speaking of it - he still hasn't cut and edited my tensioner tamer installation video.

If you send a pic and let us know what your intentions with it are, he can see whether it is feasible for him.

And to what you said about appreciating things that you did not just get handed to you - that's exactly why this is supposed to be borne by himself (at least for the major part).

BadAss Hooligan

The parts " Haus" you listed shows 2 over sizes available. I would have the cylinder checked for taper and out of roundness.
    #231 1/2

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for the hint.
    I'll have the barrel measured next week when I bring my wheels to the shop for tire change.

I'm Not The Favorite

Over here they can start packing shop racks at age 14.

But it's GREAT that you teach him the value of money, Heino.
    Most kids just get everything nowadays, and they will struggle to understand the value of stuff.

BadAss Hooligan

The baby Kaw project slept over the last couple month due to the fact that puberty kicked in and Tristan found a million different chores other than wrenching on the KMX.

Since Tristan found the piston required to get the KMX engine back together again under the Christmas tree and also he sees me disappearing in the garage every day working on the Gipsy’s parts, his motivation to get the baby Kaw finished came back.

So, yesterday evening (with a little help and guidance) he installed the piston and the rebuilt KIPS system and the little engine is almost ready for going into the frame again.
    Name:  IMG_3960.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  1.13 MB

Once that will be done, there’s actually only the bodywork left to be finished (some sanding and painting required and we will have to see how to cover up for the omitted front mask).

So there is hope that we will have three running Kawis this summer.

I'm Not The Favorite

Smokey 'ash
    Arashphalt

Nice

BadAss Hooligan

Had a little marriage today.
    Name:  IMG_3961.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  1.87 MB

The engine is mounted to the frame at four points now (like the engineers in Akashi have intended for it) as opposed to the solution the PO preferred which meant that it was only held by the swingarm bolt.

BadAss Hooligan

yay so glad this thread is on the go again!
    Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

BOTM JUNE 2018 THE VANILLA GORILLA

BadAss Hooligan

Yeah, me too Carlo. I pretend that I want to see it completed for Tristan but we all know that I can‘t wait to test-ride the little smoker.

Smokey 'ash
    Arashphalt

Big milestone

BadAss Hooligan

Yep. I‘d say we can see the finish line already.

10 days until Tristan‘s birthday when he will get chain and sprockets.
    Then it is mainly paint jobs left to be done.

Smokey 'ash
    Arashphalt

I love the fact that I’m not the only one that takes on multiple projects at once.

Difference is that you actually finish them

Hooligan

Was wondering how that project was going . Looks like its moving along again . Looking great.

BadAss Hooligan

Can't quote again...

Arash:
    It is not easy for you to finsh projects when you get sticks thrown between your legs (like having to move or getting sand thrown into your corner).

riturbo:
    Thanks man. I am glad that this seems to come to an end too.

BadAss Hooligan

Too cold to work in the garage right now but Tristan will get a chain and sprockets set on his birthday on Saturday. Had it in the mail today.
    Name:  IMG_3976.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  1.63 MB