+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Saw the new 900 rs yesterday and........

I thought it was very well done. The most nostalgic thing about the bike (to me) was the root beer and orange paint scheme. Extremely well done along with the tank badges. Other than that it was rather vanilla. Wish they would have brought back an air-oil cooled engine like Honda did with their 1100. Twin rear shocks would have been nice. Price point seems about right but the bike fell short for me aesthetically. When I got home I went out and looked at my 13 year old bone stock zrx and knew that Kawasaki could have done better with the new zed.

Hooligan

Re: Saw the new 900 rs yesterday and........

I saw one last week and felt the same. It's a good-looking motorcycle and one that I'd be happy to own, but it is not the old 900 reborn. Lots of nice touches, worth the money even if you are a relatively new rider and don't remember the old days and old superbikes. Nearly there but not there.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
    ....Wish they would have brought back an air-oil cooled engine like Honda did with their 1100. Twin rear shocks would have been nice. Price point seems about right but the bike fell short for me aesthetically. When I got home I went out and looked at my 13 year old bone stock zrx and knew that Kawasaki could have done better with the new zed.
    Though I understand what you are trying to say, but if they had either brought back the air cooled four, or designed a whole new one, you know what all the forums would be saying?

“Well they made the same mistake as Honda and gave a ho-hummotor that has no performance especially like my ZRX...”.

The original ELR was air cooled, why is no one saying the ZRX should have been air cooled? As far as the twin shock, I agree I like that look, but weight and performance does not favor twin shocks. Also factor in the new chassis and swing arm component creation, testing DVP&R, and then people would be complaining about the extra $$$$ just to get twin shocks.

This is a “reminiscent” bike, not a replica...

Again, I do really understand your point, but I read these critiques from forums all over the net and sometimes I think as a consumer base, we can’t agree and wonder why the DAEG was never brought over....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

BadAss Hooligan

I totally understand your reply. Obviously you can't please everyone. The original Z1 was typical Kawasaki. All motor but no chassis. Surprised Ralph Nader didn't go after them. The only reason I prefer an air-oil cooled version is simplicity and authenticity. Although a "little" down on power, Honda's 1100 has an absolute jewel of an engine. It provides enough real world performance and is a real work of mechanical art. If I had to choose it would be a difficult choice. I'd probably go with the Honda but wouldn't trade my 05 zrx on either of them.

Hooligan

I got mine about 3 weeks ago
    The bike handle incredibly well and the engine is smooooth, no vibrations at all and lot of low and mid range torque
    Not so much on the top end
    Very happy with it

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
    Although a "little" down on power, Honda's 1100 has an absolute jewel of an engine. It provides enough real world performance and is a real work of mechanical art. If I had to choose it would be a difficult choice. I'd probably go with the Honda but wouldn't trade my 05 zrx on either of them.
    I don't think the Honda's were flying off the floor and they are way down on power. I see your point but the water cooled motor is quieter and you can produce more reliable power with it. I would like to see the twin shocks.

Hooligan

Checked one out yesterday . Looks nice . Dont think I would spend the cash myself right now but might buy a used one for half the price a few years down the road . Really nicely done i thought .

Hooligan

I got to see one a couple weeks ago. Very nice paint and overall a very good looking bike. I didn't care for the seat though. I wouldn't replace my ZRX with this Z900. Didn't ride It, so I guess I didn't get the complete experience.

Red White and Blue Hooligan

I'm a little disappointed with the HP. I know some will say you don't need more power but when I looked at the Dyno numbers posted in the article about this bike in Road Racing World I thought if they wanted to really create the same buzz about the bike then make it a little more fire breathing!
    Stock ZRX 1200 has more everywhere? I have seen it in person and I think they hit a home run with design, especially compared to the Z900 that it is based on. The Z900 is fugly!

02 ZRX1200R Red with more bolt on mods.
    85 900 Ninja Owned 20 years (SOLD)
    82 KZ550 Bought New (SOLD)
    80 Yamaha MX 175

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by lucnoel View Post
    I got mine about 3 weeks ago
    The bike handle incredibly well and the engine is smooooth, no vibrations at all and lot of low and mid range torque
    Not so much on the top end
    Very happy with it
    Glad your bike is "on the money" for you. I can't remember when top end pull meant anything to me. Personally I want tractable power that's useful. I went back and actually sat on the bike and was impressed with the ergonomics. It is a very standard riding position. Very comfortable. Dealer wanted $11,200.00 for it. Just shy of 10% over retail. Not too bad considering the likelihood that this bike will be a seller.

The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

Name:  2017-honda-cb1100-rs.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  330.8 KB vs Name:  mqeb4nfv.x0j.png
Views: 259
Size:  410.8 KB
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

I still like the looks/weight/power of the Z90900Rs but I think I still like the CB1100RS better still.
    Different strokes, right? Not that it really matters tho as I ain't in the market and Honda ain't brought the CB1100Rs over here anyways.
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

New, but just to this Board

I agree the bike needs a good quality set of twins shocks to finish off the look plus it would allow a little lower seat height.

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Spectreman View Post
    For me........the Honda 100%
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY

BadAss Hooligan

The bike I saw has been on the floor for quite some time. Several old geezers (myself included) dropped by to take a look. Dealership owner, who I've known for 20 plus years, told me folks have shown interest but no one has demonstrated any real serious interest in buying it. Is this Kawasaki's last ditch effort to appeal to the fading baby boomer market? Bike sales have been miserable all around. So far it doesn't appear that bikes like these will draw a sufficient number of our generation to revive the industry. Hope they sell a few but I can see this bike suffering the same fate as the zrx which I think was a far better example of the bike it was emulating than the new z900rs. Good luck Kawasaki.

BadAss Hooligan

I think this bike was to target those baby boomers who harken back to their early years, when the Z1 was the big dog, but look at the fact that almost ALL motorcycle manufacturers have been bringing vintage-esque bike back seems to indicate to me that the millenials, Gen Xer's, are wanting to have the look and feel of being from back in the day. Think of hipsters living in the downtown areas of cities that have been refurbished into lofts, etc....

I hope this becomes a revival in traditional motorcycles coming back. I have been putting various bike business cases together for my self to open a shop, and one side area I think I could add value would be two or three vintage bikes picked up off of CL for cheap, dust them off and make them run well, then sell them out of the shop. Thinking of a front window where you could spend downtime in the shop working on the bike in front of shoppers walking & driving by to drive interest.

Sell it, then that money goes back into the CL bike fund to do it again. Never know what vintage bike you would end up driving interest with.

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

BadAss Hooligan

If the RS had twin shocks and chrome fenders, I would be won over 100% to get one. It's just not quite there...
    Get on the short bus boys 'cause I'm takin' y'all to school!

BadAss Hooligan

The Z900 looks are just ok

Tank looks perched above frame, not properly draped over it
    Miss the twin shocks too

Dan

BadAss Hooligan

I just sat on the Cafe Racer version on the bike fair in Hamburg.
    It is not too bad but not appealing enough for me to feel the urge to test ride one.

The Cafe will be limited to 350 in Germany.
    Name:  IMG_2301.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  1.80 MB

Another disappointing detail I noticed on the RSes is the radiator shroud - that metal profile looks really cheap and not thought of at all.
    Name:  IMG_2309.PNG
Views: 173
Size:  1.05 MB
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFun View Post
    I think this bike was to target those baby boomers who harken back to their early years, when the Z1 was the big dog, but look at the fact that almost ALL motorcycle manufacturers have been bringing vintage-esque bike back seems to indicate to me that the millenials, Gen Xer's, are wanting to have the look and feel of being from back in the day. Think of hipsters living in the downtown areas of cities that have been refurbished into lofts, etc....

I hope this becomes a revival in traditional motorcycles coming back. I have been putting various bike business cases together for my self to open a shop, and one side area I think I could add value would be two or three vintage bikes picked up off of CL for cheap, dust them off and make them run well, then sell them out of the shop. Thinking of a front window where you could spend downtime in the shop working on the bike in front of shoppers walking & driving by to drive interest.

Sell it, then that money goes back into the CL bike fund to do it again. Never know what vintage bike you would end up driving interest with.

Cory
    Bring on the hipsters. I'm glad the sport bike has had it's run and is finally over. Too powerful and too expensive to insure. I love the technology from those bikes and that to some degree it has been adapted to standard motorcycles, even cruisers. The bottom line is that all bikes have reached a point of no return with the cost of purchase. Disposable income is down overall and millennials simply aren't the types to invest. I'm retiring next year and am fortunate to have bought my last bike this past November. I'm good with it. Not much of a choice really. Heck, I'm glad I still had a choice at this time in my life. Good wife I guess.

BadAss Hooligan

I sat on this one today and loved it. I will have one in the garage some day. I understand this version is not available in the US.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcow View Post
    I sat on this one today and loved it. I will have one in the garage some day. I understand this version is not available in the US.

You in Montreal and didn't call us ?

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISPY View Post
    You in Montreal and didn't call us ?
    Yeah I'm like that. Not enough hours in a day 😁

Oldcow

Hooligan

All looks with no balls. I miss the day when you could buy it off the floor affordable and take it to the dragstrip and nail all the fastest cars. Well instead of spending all that money on the z900,I "m gona build a 1224 with mine.Figure 5 or 6 grand on a good motor will keep me happy with my zrex for a good long time. Don"t want a zx14 to deal with that much money in payments.

BadAss Hooligan

The Honda is prettiest, but a cammed 1100 would outperform both. I agree the MC industry is dying, but I don't have the resources to save it.
    Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge.
    -EJ Potter