+ Reply to Thread
    Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

OK So It's Not A 14, I LOVE My Versys 1000LT.

What a great bike. I like it better than the Yamaha FJ09 just because it has that smooth Kawasaki train like linear power delivery. The Versys is somewhat porky at 550 lbs compared to the FJ at around 470. The Yamaha is a bit quicker in side-to-side transitions. Yamaha gets low to mid 50s per gallon and Versys mid to high 40s. But the Versys holds at least one more gallon. Easy 200 mile stints. Plus the Versys has an analog tach; I never could get used to the Yamaha bar tach.

I had considered a Concours 14 before buying the FJ, but the Concours is quite a bit larger. The only things I would consider changing on the Versys are installing a better seat and I'd prefer shaft drive.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

ZRXOA 8583; Member ZRXOA GPz550 sub sect.

Red

BadAss Hooligan

Re: OK So It's Not A 14, I LOVE My Versys 1000LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrides View Post
    What a great bike. I like it better than the Yamaha FJ09 just because it has that smooth Kawasaki train like linear power delivery. The Versys is somewhat porky at 550 lbs compared to the FJ at around 470. The Yamaha is a bit quicker in side-to-side transitions. Yamaha gets low to mid 50s per gallon and Versys mid to high 40s. But the Versys holds at least one more gallon. Easy 200 mile stints. Plus the Versys has an analog tach; I never could get used to the Yamaha bar tach.

I had considered a Concours 14 before buying the FJ, but the Concours is quite a bit larger. The only things I would consider changing on the Versys are installing a better seat and I'd prefer shaft drive.
    I love mine. Best money I spent in a long time on a bike. Stock seat is Junk. I did the seat concepts seat for awhile but settled on a corbin. Still have the seat concepts seat put away. I have done several other farkles to make it my own. Bike is comfy and 400 mile days are fun as hell! Enjoy it!

Legal Eagle

Glad you are enjoying the bike, Rick, but I'm not surprised. The V1K is a sleeper and doesn't get much love, but, like the Rex, it does everything well. With the easy to use centerstand, lubing and cleaning the chain is easy. I don't miss either the shaft drive nor the extra 150 lbs that the C-14 has. The power is more useful on the V as the Connie is a dog under 4grand. I put an airhawk on the seat, and once I got the correct amount of air (very little) I'm OK with the seat. Also put a laminar lip on the screen and it eliminates the buffeting.

The Busa Cop

Kenny I shared your post on another forum to a guy who wants a C14 , but is not sure .

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

BadAss Hooligan

I'm in!
    Love my V1000 too. Been real pleased with the V650 for solo, light duty touring.
    The big V eats the miles up when me & momma take longer trips. Bike handles remarkably well.
    Great bike.
    Dan
    Turbo Division Member # 6

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

Ah, the V1K- the N1K's ugly step-sister.

Name:  IMG_0621.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  2.08 MB
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

Legal Eagle

Lee, you left out the words "comfortable" and "vibration free". While I agree that the 1st generation Versys was ugly, the new ones are much better looking.

Legal Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by c10 View Post
    Kenny I shared your post on another forum to a guy who wants a C14 , but is not sure .
    Bryan, take a look at this thread:

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,18340.0.html

The Doctor Is In
    About 90 miles north of where I was before & 15 minutes from the Kingdom of Kazmania, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Lee, you left out the words "comfortable" and "vibration free". While I agree that the 1st generation Versys was ugly, the new ones are much better looking.
    All in good fun, Kenny.

Actually, I liked the look of the original gen V650- thought that headlight setup was wonky enough to give the bikes some personality. Now the V650LT & V1K look like the rest of the Kawi lineup. I know that helps sales but the bike now lacks that distinctive front end it had before. Hey, if all the damn ADV bikes can run around w/those silly beaks, the K series ought to have its own unique look too, in my book.

And just to note, my N1K IS vibe free & quite comfy w/the mods I've done.

Having said all that, I wouldn't kick an orange N1K out of my garage, especially if it has the KQR bags. But I think I might even prefer the 650LT at this point & I'll take mine in green, thank you very much. Perhaps after I win the Powerball tonight, I'll treat myself to one of each and a rootbeer brown Z900RS.

Name:  120715BOTY-middle1-900x640.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  164.3 KB

Name:  080315middle1-900x624.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  236.5 KB
    "None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me."
    Rorschach

Legal Eagle

The bags come with the bike and while I do like my orange one, I would prefer the green.

The V is more sit up than the N1K and the foootpegs are in a more comfy position. It works for me and I'm glad you are enjoying your Ninja

The Doctor Is In

Dennis & I (meaning Dennis, of course) installed Murph's risers on my N1K's clip-ons, effectively raising them so I'm in a near upright position, w/just the slightest of forward leans. Very comfy. If only I could do something about the angle the grip sits at, it would be perfect.

And being, ahem, 'under-tall', the footpeg placement on my N1K is not a real issue w/me. Toss in the modded seat, the gel grips, the Throttlemeister, and taller screen and BLAMMO, near total comfort for a bike that can't decide if it's a sport bike, ST (especially w/the Blaze bag set-up), UJM or what.

Whatever it is, it works for me.

On some of the N1K sites, some owners have swapped out from earlier N1K models to newer ones and that leaves me head scratching but then again, it's their $$, not mine. Ditto for the V1K- great bike by all accords but no way could I justify to myself (or my wife) swapping over. So I guess I'll be keeping this bike for some time.
    Lee
    Rorschach

I'm hungry. Let's get a taco.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Spectreman View Post
    On some of the N1K sites, some owners have swapped out from earlier N1K models to newer ones and that leaves me head scratching but then again, it's their $$, not mine.

I agree, the new ones don't really have anything I want so badly I need to trade up. And if they did, it probably wouldn't be hard to mod it over (except maybe the 5 axis ECU).

'Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Dr. Seuss

The Doctor Is In

The only reasons I'd even think of swapping to a newer year N1K would be the KQR bags, ABS and color but truthfully, none of those items are that important to me that I'd go through all I've gone through in making my N1K work for me. The mods on the +17 models, like the 5 axis ECU, don't mean a blammed thing to me. I don't need traction modes or electronically adjustable suspensions or anti-slide/wheely/stoppie intervention whatevers. Just utter silliness to me.
    Rorschach

BadAss Hooligan

You have that ninja looking good Lee. That bike(with hard bags), has been on my radar forever.
    strubes

The Doctor Is In

For whatever reason, Pete, the N1K's have not held their value & there are bargains a-plenty for them, even w/the KQR bags.

If you ever decide to rid yourself of the ZRX and want to go shopping for one, lemme know. I know a real pretty blue '14 w/KQR bags over in Ft. Myers that's been sitting on the deaqler's floor for some time. I'm sure they'd be ready to negotiate @ this point. Look here: https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...450163307.html

Lots of others to choose from too in & around the region, from $5g's and up on low mileage units.
    Lee
    Rorschach

BadAss Hooligan

Funny you should say that. I almost pulled the trigger on a brand new 2016 for 6999., but decided to hold off till next year,(full retirement), before getting some mates for the ZRX. The ZRX stays until death do us part.
    strubes

The Doctor Is In

Wowsa, a '16 for $7g's? I'm asssuming that's w/out bags. If it's w/bags, you oughta jump on that like right now.
    Rorschach

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

I'm going to check out Corbin and Air Hawk and a friend knows someone at Saddlemen who can help with the seat. It's not too bad but it could use some work.

I've put a National Cycle v-screen on and it provides much better wind protection and less noise than stock. Also, a Delkevic slip on, which saved 10 lbs over the ugly as sin stock exhaust and is not noisy (yet).

Also going with some aftermarket heated grips I found on Aerostitch. They will fit under my favorite grips, which I have on every bike.

Added some case savers. Same style I have on my other bikes. Minimal impact on the looks.

I do need a radiator grill. I also am going to add the accessory plug for some power.

I'm going to look into some handlebar risers as I'd like to be able to move back on the seat a bit to get my nuts off the freakin' tank. Maybe my arms are short or something?

Then it should be done.

I nearly bought a Ninja 1000, with very low miles and saddlebags several years ago but got the Ducati Monster for much less money (right) instead. Probably should have gone with the Ninja. But I do love the Monster, it just takes a bit more maintenance--spa week at least every other year for valve adjust and timing belts. It was the red one and it was a nice bike.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

ZRXOA 8583; Member ZRXOA GPz550 sub sect.

Red

BadAss Hooligan

Let me know if you want some risers, I'll make you a deal.
    I bought a set of 1-3/4" Rox Pivoting Risers for a 7,000 mile trip and they saved me!
    I don't have any trips that long planned in the future and will sell these.
    Thanks,
    Dan

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrides View Post
    I'm going to check out Corbin and Air Hawk and a friend knows someone at Saddlemen who can help with the seat. It's not too bad but it could use some work.

I've put a National Cycle v-screen on and it provides much better wind protection and less noise than stock. Also, a Delkevic slip on, which saved 10 lbs over the ugly as sin stock exhaust and is not noisy (yet).

Also going with some aftermarket heated grips I found on Aerostitch. They will fit under my favorite grips, which I have on every bike.

Added some case savers. Same style I have on my other bikes. Minimal impact on the looks.

I do need a radiator grill. I also am going to add the accessory plug for some power.

I'm going to look into some handlebar risers as I'd like to be able to move back on the seat a bit to get my nuts off the freakin' tank. Maybe my arms are short or something?

Then it should be done.

I nearly bought a Ninja 1000, with very low miles and saddlebags several years ago but got the Ducati Monster for much less money (right) instead. Probably should have gone with the Ninja. But I do love the Monster, it just takes a bit more maintenance--spa week at least every other year for valve adjust and timing belts. It was the red one and it was a nice bike.

What seat did you go with?

BadAss Hooligan

Here's my '08 Versys 650 I've had for 10 years.

And my V1000. Both have been great bikes.

Dan

WHY I STAND:

The Doctor Is In

I always liked the wonky headlight on the last gen Versys 650 but I know some folks found it unattractive. I thought it gave the bike some visual personality.
    Rorschach