+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

2002+ ZX9R Gauges - Retrofit...

So in lieu of my crash, I am taking the opportunity to reto-fit other gauges. I like the late model ZX9R gauges and they are compact with a single plug connection. They also have a coolant temp read out, clock, and integrated indicator lights. It also uses an electronic speed signal.

So due to me playing around with gearing and tire sizes, I wanted the ability to tweak the Speedo calibration. So I got to thinking.....

I have the Stites/Couch VFR setup and the Ď94 and later VFR used a similar electronic sender.... so I started buying used senders from the 94-97 and the 98-2006. I broke out my power supply, 5VDC step down converter, and my Fluke Scope.

Turns out the senders will work on 5VDC and 12VDC input voltage, but internally limit output to a typical 5VDC plane to peak value. So then a fit check was required....

Name:  F3E6B613-CB6F-46B5-B302-912FD526CC17.jpeg
Views: 546
Size:  1.76 MB

Fits like the mechanical drive.... Now the last couple pieces of the puzzle are a Speedohealer from Healtech to allow for calibration and an PNP harness to adapt from the ZRX gauge connections to the ZX9R cluster. I also have to swap out the stock coolant temp sensor for the ZX9R sender. The nice thing is that the both the gauge cluster read out and the temp warning light both run off the same sensor.

So more to come....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Two wheeled FREAK

Re: 2002+ ZX9R Gauges - Retrofit...

Ah very interested to see where this goes! I would also prefer a more compact later model ZX9r or other gauge cluster... I have a handful of GSX-R speedo sensors if you want to try one - probably the same unit.

PM me for great prices on ÷hlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

CRACKERMAN

Sweet!

I use the Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Isaac is NOT a zrx purist.

SUPER COMMANDO

Yep that's why Speed Hut is your friend . Over all cost and no calibration required . Not to mention all the cool functions it can do .
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

In Charge of McGov Only

Very cool.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    Very cool.
    Name:  PlusOne.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  38.9 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by No prescription needed View Post
    Yep that's why Speed Hut is your friend . Over all cost and no calibration required . Not to mention all the cool functions it can do .
    I agree this has a couple of advantages as far as I see it (and my KZ has Speedhut):

- Gauges are cheap (Got a stupid clean unit off of EBay for $85 shipped)
    - Has coolant temp read out and clock.
    - Unless you go with GPS based Speedhut gauge (Which is more than the non-GPS) this makes mounting and integrating a speed sensor easier.
    - Parts are still available from Honda and Kawi.

So far costs (outside of the Greg Couch and Stites parts)

- Gauges (Used $75-85)
    - Temp Sensor (Used $20 / New $40)
    - VFR Drive (98-06) (Used $15 / New $80)
    - PNP Harness TBD
    - Healtech Speedo Healer (New $110 / Used $????)

Cory

Edit: Forgot to put the speedometer calibrator in the price...
    Last edited by NakedFun; 11-30-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

avtech3d

Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Fun stuff showed up....still waiting on a couple of items.

Name:  63F15BC5-5780-4271-BDE0-8C6DF1B33114.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  1.92 MB

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

President of the ZRXOA

Good stuff Cory!

When switching to the electronic speed sensor, what does it pick up? Do you have to install something on the countershaft to make it work? Itís just a hall sensor, right?
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

This is a direct replacement for the mechanical VFR drive and the Stites adapter plate for Gregís 2-piece sprocket cover. Should work wherever the VFR drive is used.

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

President of the ZRXOA

Cool. 👍🏼 The mounting isnít what has me confused though.

Iím stumped as to what piece of ferrous metal would be intermittently passing by as part of the countershaft sprocket so the hall sensor could count the revolutions.

As an example, I have a speed sensor on one of my bikes that is placed within 1mm of the brake rotor bolts rotating around.

But if it works, it works! Look forward to your progress and I think a modern compact cluster is going to be a great mod.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Arash,

It is internal to the speed sensor. It has the same flat ďtangĒ drive as the mechanical. It uses a PTC to trigger a 5VC square wave out to the speedo. Nothing external with a magnet, etc....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

President of the ZRXOA

Makes sense now. Thanks!

BadAss Hooligan

Well they are alive, mostly... Temp sensor needs to be swapped out once it gets here to read properly, and I found a glitch in how the tach works that is going to take some head scratching....

Name:  AA9D2CCD-A233-4B57-B324-B91746BC9827.jpeg
Views: 457
Size:  302.5 KB

More to come...

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

President of the ZRXOA

Sounds promising.

And boy do those gauges look nice.

BadAss Hooligan

So the snafu with the tach signal is that it gets a B+ signal instead of a B- like the Rex.... so I am looking at how I can convert it over or use the ZX11 ECU output....

Like I said, head scratching commencing.....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

BadAss Hooligan

So a little help from work with my head scratching, I think I can build a simple NPN transitor based circuit that can take the low (-) tach signal and convert it to a (+) square wave output. Iíll hit up Radioshack on the way home to pick up a PN2222A and some resistors.

More to come....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Bleeding Kawasaki since the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFun View Post
    Well they are alive, mostly... Temp sensor needs to be swapped out once it gets here to read properly, and I found a glitch in how the tach works that is going to take some head scratching....

Attachment 273949

More to come...

Cory
    I like how it says Hi to you.

SS
    For all the members we've lost - this board can only hope to help you live on in others. YTRAP, itchy butt, Gary1129, Mavwrek, Mitch#101 and all the others you are forever remembered.
    I have been to HELL. A loft with John T on one side and SS on the other That was a cataclysmic snore fest, weakening the tectonic plates Georgia rests upon!!!!
    YTRAP 2/23/05

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    Perko has a good point though....

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Perko View Post
    I like how it says Hi to you.

SS
    Yeah still waiting on my temp sender, then it will shrug me off....

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Licensed to Mod

Sorry for posting in old thread. But have you finished this project? Or may be anyone else?
    I bought the same gauges and have a plan to install them to my ZRX. And any info would be very useful

BadAss Hooligan

I have the install working, however I have not finished cutting and powdercoating the mounting plate so I have not verified everything. It you are attempting to install a later set of ZX9R gauges (Full Electronic Ones) you will need a number of items to make it work such as a Stites VFR adapter plate, a 94+ VFR speedo drive, Speedohealer for a VFR800, a ZX9R Temp Sender, and build an adapter for the harness.

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400

Licensed to Mod

Hello, thanks for answer.
    Yes, I bought gauges from last generation of ZX9R.
    You wrote about problems with signal from ZXR's CDI for tachometer. Was you able to solve it?
    May be you have any kind of electrical scheme for this? Or if you could describe in few words what should be done - that would be very helpful.

What about speedometer drive - in my case it is impossible to use drive from VFR or even original one due to small distance between fork legs (GSX1300R fork + custom triple clamps), so i'm planning to use hall speed sensor.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by d33t View Post
    Hello, thanks for answer.
    Yes, I bought gauges from last generation of ZX9R.
    You wrote about problems with signal from ZXR's CDI for tachometer. Was you able to solve it?
    May be you have any kind of electrical scheme for this? Or if you could describe in few words what should be done - that would be very helpful.

What about speedometer drive - in my case it is impossible to use drive from VFR or even original one due to small distance between fork legs (GSX1300R fork + custom triple clamps), so i'm planning to use hall speed sensor.
    Yes I figured out on the tach. My problem was the zener diode I built into my ZX11D adapter which due to how the ZX9R gauges pickup the tach signal from the ZX9R CDI had to be removed. Now it works properly.

The VFR speed sensor DOES NOT pickup from the front wheel. If you look at my pictures above, you will see it is connected to the front drive sprocket, just like Honda intended. As far as the wiring, yes I can give you a few pointers. The first being I have not sourced the multi-pin plug for the ZX9R gauge cluster, so I would recommend buying a used ZX9R harness off of EBay or where ever to harvest one.

I can get my electrical supplier to see if he can source one, but frankly I usually only do that for harnesses I intend on selling.

Cory
    '99 ZRX (Green) #8998
    '76 KZ900
    '08 Concours 1400