+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Devilsí Advocate

Re: Custom Japanese swingarm bobbins...

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
    Hahaha....that ain't true.

In fact I have made the tools to make them......http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-cus...nique-2-a.html

And again....http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/21-cus...-part-1-a.html

Thanks again..and keep the faith...
    Dibs for a 10mm and a 12mm one please

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Some People call me the Space Cowboy
    Some People call me the Gerg

North East Ohio. Where EVERY day is like the 7th grade!!!

You sir.
    Are a SICK man!!!

Love it.

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Couch View Post
    You sir.
    Are a SICK man!!!

Love it.
    Thanks Greg........

The medication just ain't working....!

The Mod Father

Update....final result.

Think these are pretty much finished now...and just as I want them.

Brian.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

President of the ZRXOA

Custom Japanese swingarm bobbins...

Top notch!
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Just call me Gordon

DIBS

Those are the shite Brian wow

NOV 2017 BOTM

BadAss Hooligan

Utterly Amazing Fabrication Skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Top notch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer64d View Post
    DIBS

Those are the shite Brian wow
    [QUOTE=Big Harry;4761602]Utterly Amazing Fabrication Skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![QUOTE]

Thanks so much...

The only thing left to do is shoot them with some 2 pac clear coat suitable for Aluminium and other non ferrous metals..

I called with them to my friend Phil Smith (who painted my bike) of 'Crazycustompaint.com' today to get some advice on this and he kindly gave me all the 'materials' (and tuition) for free.!

Two perfectionist nutcases together in his workshop bouncing ideas of each other..? (It's what Saturday's are made for.!! Lol)

Here are some 'in progress' shots....(and one of the Joey Dunlop tribute helmet he is airbrushing).......now this IS a guy with incredible talent.!

The most important thing in making something intricate is figuring out how to 'hold it' during machining......here is one of a pair of brass 'holders' who's only puropse is to have the 'inlay' bonded to during the initial machining process.... (they will Not be part of the completed bobbins....)

Illustrated are two carefully selected sections of Acrylic which will ge used for the initial inlay background..

The two 'internal' lime green discs are machined as a basis from which to build upon.... (their 'outside' diameter is critical and predetermined during the design process by me)

Two Aluminium "machining holders" are made to allow machining of the black Acrylic which will mate to the Lime green 'core'..

Machining the black Acrylic it is critical the 'inside' diameter matches the 'outer' diameter of the Lime green core...

The brass backing plates of the bobbins have been recessed to accept the Acrylic 'inlay'... (machining these has been covered in the first page of this thread...

The Black Acrylic outer discs have been removed from their Aluminium 'holders' via the 'flat' left on either side during machining for their removal process....
    They have now been bonded in position over their lime green cores which remained on their Brass 'holders....

The freed up Aluminium holders now have white acrylic bonded to them for matching the white Japanese flag sections...

Segments are removed via a slitting saw (60mm X143 teeth) and the 'work' mounted in the rotary table......I opted to go for 1/9th segment division this time (as opposed to 1/8th for the previous incarnation of these bobbins....on the first page)

The 1/9th segments removed alongside their corisponding white counterparts to be fitted...

The white 'flag' background segments now fitted along with a pair of 0.9mm brass separating strips now ready for further machining...

The surface illustrated is infact the rearside as I am working in reverse for this project..

Prior to further machining two sections of 10thou styrene sheet~plastickard were prepared to bond to the Acrylic inlay rearside surface...(without this the entire inlay would fall apart during further machining) as each part is now separate...)

With the 10thou styrene sheet bonded in place to ensure the inlay stayed intact 'reduction machining' can now take place...

The Red 'Rising sun' portions are now machined to 3mm diameter from thicker red acrylic rod to be bonded into corisponding predrilled holes in their respective 'flag backgrounds'.... (this process is covered on page one of this thread)

Final machining is now completed on the various components...

The rear of each brass backing plate has a variation in its respective 'spigot' (Right to left) to suit their mounting points on the Kawasaki swing arm...

Machining all done the bobbins are awaiting two 'Kawasaki' lettering logos to be added for completion

I had 'considered' entrusting these bobbins to a Trophy engraving company for the lettering process......however I opted not to as I would then have no control over 'spacing'...'font'...'consistency'..etc and one mistake from a third party would result in my work being completely ruined...

After much consideration I opted to do the lettering myself and sourced a suitable sheet of 2.4mm dry rub down lettering in the Netherlands...

After many tries (and failures.!) I finally got the lettering to a point where it was absolutely consistent and I was happy with....

The bobbins only remain to be clear coated to seal everything in for protection...

A lot of work for two little items that will almost certainly never be used and simply serve to mount to their respective location points on the swing arm..

Nevertheless although I have made them fully functional...I will continue to use my paddock stand with its rubber 'cups' and raise the bike via this either in front of or behind these bobbins...

Thank you all for your interest and kind comments..

Stay tuned till next time,
    Brian.

Edit.....

I had some free time over lunch...and I guess I still could still find one more little area to 'tweak' and that was their retaining screws/bolts.

I sourced two replacement stainless steel Allen/hex recess cap head retaining bolts/screws.

1@ M10x1.25 pitch..40 mm
    1@ M10x1.25 pitch..45mm

The differential being to compensate for the longer versus shorter spigot on each bobbin back plate (left versus right ..as per the location points on the swing arm)

Well I had custom machined everything else and I thought I'd change the heads on the rather plain screws to make them a bit more unique...

The first thing is to machine the stamped 'nomenclature' from the front...

Secondly the little 'curve' where the shank meets the rear of the head had to be machined out sharp so thread is no restriction for the rear of the head to interface perfectly into the recession on my bobbins.

This might have restricted the front of my bobbins to 'rotate' as I had designed them to.

I then machined the front section of the head 14mm whilst retaining the rear at its stock 16mm to act as a retaining 'flange' for the rotating front section of my bobbins.

Everything was then chamfered and polished......the resulting 'reduced' heads enabling the 'inner' brass 'sleeve' of the front section of the bobbins to be visible whilst still having a retaining flange to keep the two part bobbins together...simple yet effective...

Last edited by BG Wells; 09-08-2017 at 06:16 PM.

BadAss Hooligan
    I just drooled on my screen....wow that's awesome work indeed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    1999 green ZRX 1100

BadAss Hooligan
    Very nice. My plastic sleeved ones are getting chewed- up from using my stand

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Damn!! I don't even have a bike anymore and I'm tempted!

Do you feel BRUCE!, punk?

Amazing workmanship Brian, especially in the incredible manual process of laying down the letters.
    2003 Green ZRX
    1983 Red Honda 1100F (sold)
    1983 Blue Honda 1100F (sold)
    1979 Honda CB650 Custom (broke cam/sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (sold)
    1974 Honda CB450 (bad cam/stolen/sold)

RIP 4/11/19

Unbelievable work, Brian!!!
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

BadAss Hooligan

Wow! Are you a machinist for Rolex ?

Licensed to Mod

Absolutely Awesome, have to ask, do you make them for sale?

The Mod Father

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    Absolutely Awesome, have to ask, do you make them for sale?
    Thanks...

No these (like most everything I make) were a "one off" exercise for myself....

Far too much time and effort required for these particular pieces to make them financially viable if offered as a service...

Thanks again for your kind words and interest though...

BG.
    "A change in behaviour begins when Jesus changes our heart "

Carina Wells (Mum)
    RIP.

April 2017 BOTM~2017 BOTY

Hooligan

Amazing Brian, really impressive work!
    ...as usual
    2006 ZRX 1200R in proper flat lime green.
    1982 Z400J3 - the project..

All I Want To Do Is A Zoom - Zoom

beautiful results
    There's nothing to fear but fear itself

Mainely here

You're one heck of a craftsman. Those things are beautiful!

Hooligan

I have no idea how Iíve missed this topic but man oh man are you talented Brian. Very cool!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP 4/11/19

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
    Thanks...

No these (like most everything I make) were a "one off" exercise for myself....

Far too much time and effort required for these particular pieces to make them financially viable if offered as a service...

Thanks again for your kind words and interest though...

BG.
    What about a "soft cash" payment...
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.