Continental O-300

Name:  Continental O-300.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  854.5 KB

Continental O-470

Name:  Continental_O-470-13A.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  28.8 KB
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

President of the ZRXOA

1955 Cessna 170B "Fo-Fo Charlie"

When I finally take the cowl off you guys will see my take on an O-300 restoration. I gave mine a DuPont overhaul back in 2010.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

Re: 1955 Cessna 170B "Fo-Fo Charlie"

Agree with all. I love my Continental IO470s. Flew to Roswell and back Sunday/Monday. Had 200 MPH ground speeds, silky smooth. Averaged 24 gallons per hour. .71 cents per mile.

Mpg always sucks in planes. My 400 mile one way leg burned 60 gallons. My buddy's Lycoming powered Grumman would have done the trip with about 40 gallons, taken an hour longer, and been much more cramped. So my MPG is under 7. His about 10. I can slow down and burn less per hour, but it takes longer and costs about the same. So I try to cruise at 175 knots.

Going to Kansas in the morning for a couple of days. Round trip will take about 200 gallons of fuel. It's cheaper than race gas, and I don't have to tow it anywhere.
    ZRXOA 8377
    '01 Green Machine with some Bling
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who will not try, no explanation is possible

ZERO

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    When I finally take the cowl off you guys will see my take on an O-300 restoration. I gave mine a DuPont overhaul back in 2010.
    Here is my question for the Day! Back in the Day, Before Sky King got his Cessna 310B, he flew a UC 78! Who made the Radial Engines in that Plane??
    Made History at Daytona and Still One Fast Old Man

President of the ZRXOA

The "Bamboo Bomber" was powered by a Jacobs R-755 commonly referred to as the "Shaky Jake".

I flew a 195 that was equipped with one. It has pins that you can pull on one side of the steel engine mount and the whole engine swings to the side so that you can get to the back of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobs_R-755

Not the one I flew and helped my neighbor work on, but similar:

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Born In The USA

How were those swiveling main wheels to deal with? I haven't been in one, but I heard stories about how big the cabin is.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

The Goodyear crosswind landing gear works well. The parts to maintain them are as rare as rocking horse poop.

My friend back east still has a set on his 170A. I'll find the video. Taxiing is the funniest part.

President of the ZRXOA

Weirdly Peculiar

Here's a story I read in Flying magazine back in the '90's. You are flying a round engine crop duster down low spraying, yank the stick back to clear the power lines ahead and the engine swings open and departs the aircraft. You can imagine what happens next, with the aircraft now massively tail heavy and no propulsion it rapidly sinks back to earth tail first. Pilot walked away as the tail absorbed the impact. Imagine his surprise... It was a great article with crop duster pilots telling their worst experiences. Another guy hits a wire in a Thrush I think, the plane almost stops dead in midair, wire breaks away from the pole, airplane accelerates, almost stops again, wire breaks away again and so on for several cycles until he "lands". I might have that issue in the library.
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

President of the ZRXOA

That is some of the most dangerous flying that exists! I always enjoy watching those guys work. A real low level crop duster turn has to be done by the seat of your pants with your eyeballs outside. No instruments, not even airspeed, needed.

ZERO

The "Bamboo Bomber" was powered by a Jacobs R-755 commonly referred to as the "Shaky Jake".

I flew a 195 that was equipped with one. It has pins that you can pull on one side of the steel engine mount and the whole engine swings to the side so that you can get to the back of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobs_R-755

Not the one I flew and helped my neighbor work on, but similar:

Never heard the expression "Bamboo Bomber"? The plane looked Metal to me.

President of the ZRXOA

"Dubbed the 'Bamboo Bomber' by the pilots who flew them, it was one of the aircraft featured in the popular television series "Sky King" of the early-to-mid 1950s. The aircraft was replaced in later episodes by the T-50's successor, the all-metal Cessna 310."

"The wing structure was built up of laminated spruce spar beams with spruce and plywood ribs."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_AT-17_Bobcat

Tubular steel and fabric

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    How were those swiveling main wheels to deal with? I haven't been in one, but I heard stories about how big the cabin is.
    interesting video...still surprising how quick that puppy lifts off!
    "Enjoy the ride!"

President of the ZRXOA

With a 40 mph wind, I've taken off with a 2 foot roll in 44C.

Came around and it actually landed and stopped in 10 feet, and then started rolling backwards.

Relative wind is one of the hardest concepts for even pilots to grasp.

I've hovered and flown a Cub backwards before too.

This book written in 1944 is still the definitive text on teaching the fundamentals. I know many pilots that don't have any understanding of half the stuff in this book.

Last edited by AV80R; 06-21-2017 at 01:22 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

can't find my Mom's fatal air-accident report at Hayward Executive Airport anymore (lost it.) For many years didn't want to be reminded; but now wish I still had the NTSB/FAA report copy for future family reference...(after I'm gone.) Any of you know how to find this accident report on either NTSB or FAA sites? Both give "nothing found" response to my query...

Year ~2003'/04' (approximately =sorry, bad memory)
    Hayward Executive Airport (approach- crash @ Watkins St., Hayward, CA)
    VFR, Cessna 210 (unknown model # or year)
    Result, pilot serious (head) injury/recovered. Passengers, 2 fatal injuries
    Cause fuel starvation (engine ran fine later in NTSB testing)
    Pilots FAA license revoked (his 3rd crash)

That's about all I recall....thanks for any attempts,

-Dave
    "Enjoy the ride!"

ZERO

"Backward Flying"! I have watched Pelicans flying backward going across the Howard Franklin Bridge here in St Pete Fla. My only question is do you think they know they are going Backwards

President of the ZRXOA

Definitely! We have Kite Hawks that hover in the wind and move backwards, forwards...whatever they need to do to scope out the rodents for a kill below.

In 115 years of aviation we haven't come close to the elegance of a bird landing on a branch. The mechanics of their flight is brilliant.

They can feel the wind with their body in a way that only wing suit folks can start to scratch the surface of. The comment about relative wind earlier is moot to birds...they are genetically wired to understand it better than any other animal.

ZERO

What you said is the reason for sailplanes. Back in my day it was a Schleicher 123 that had a 40-1 Glide Ratio now almost Double at over 70-1

The closest I have come is at Maxton NC which was a Glider Training base for WWII Glider Pilots Here is Randall riding my 325 HP ZX12R at the Timers at 200 MPHName:  IMG_0486.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  41.9 KB

BadAss Hooligan

ZRXOA 8377
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDave View Post
    can't find my Mom's fatal air-accident report at Hayward Executive Airport anymore (lost it.) For many years didn't want to be reminded; but now wish I still had the NTSB/FAA report copy for future family reference...(after I'm gone.) Any of you know how to find this accident report on either NTSB or FAA sites? Both give "nothing found" response to my query...

Year ~2003'/04' (approximately =sorry, bad memory)
    Hayward Executive Airport (approach- crash @ Watkins St., Hayward, CA)
    VFR, Cessna 210 (unknown model # or year)
    Result, pilot serious (head) injury/recovered. Passengers, 2 fatal injuries
    Cause fuel starvation (engine ran fine later in NTSB testing)
    Pilots FAA license revoked (his 3rd crash)

That's about all I recall....thanks for any attempts,

-Dave
    I think this may be it

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...05X00489&key=1

While descending toward a right base entry to runway 28R, the pilot lost engine power after switching from the left to the right fuel tank. He was attempting to perform a forced landing in a residential area when the right wing collided with an electrical transmission line. The airplane subsequently collided with a tree and a portion of an apartment building. Both fuel tanks and their associated lines were intact, and no evidence of leakage was found around the fuel filler caps. Approximately 2.5 gallons of fuel was recovered from the left tank. There was no measurable fuel quantity in the right tank. The fuel selector valve handle was found on the right tank. The accuracy of the fuel gauges' calibration could not be determined. There was no evidence of a flight planning or fuel usage calculation found in the wreckage. The 2-bladed propeller exhibited damage that is consistent with a 'wind milling' propeller. The total quantity of fuel onboard at the time of the last departure is unknown. During postaccident testing, the engine was supplied with fuel and it started and ran for several minutes without discrepancies. The pilot stated that he has no recollection of the accident.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
    The pilot's inadequate preflight planning and his failure to verify fuel consumption during flight that resulted in fuel exhaustion and subsequent collision with obstacles and the ground.
    ZRXOA 8377
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

2009 Hooligan of the year

Running out of gas in a plane is not good.

Slightly opinionated, but never politically correct

Awesome thread , have about 10 hours in my book, did my ground school aced the test But that was 4 years ago, so got to do it again
    So at least I keep the hours. I so want to get my PL. Question for the aveeaters here , does it make sense for a casual hopeful like myself to go the Sport Pilot ticket or is the saving worth it for the restrictions imposed

I will do this, just need to simplify my lifestyle a tad
    F1 rules NASCAR is like dumping a box of Fruit Loops in the toilet and watching them all swirl around when flushed. Add some screaming redneck to announce the event and you could sell tickets.

when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity - Hunter S Thompson

President of the ZRXOA

Google "Basic Med". Some new legislation passed and you won't need a medical to fly as a private pilot anymore. Sport Pilot ain't worth it, just go for the private ticket. for

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by bossracer View Post
    I think this may be it

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...05X00489&key=1

While descending toward a right base entry to runway 28R, the pilot lost engine power after switching from the left to the right fuel tank. He was attempting to perform a forced landing in a residential area when the right wing collided with an electrical transmission line. The airplane subsequently collided with a tree and a portion of an apartment building. Both fuel tanks and their associated lines were intact, and no evidence of leakage was found around the fuel filler caps. Approximately 2.5 gallons of fuel was recovered from the left tank. There was no measurable fuel quantity in the right tank. The fuel selector valve handle was found on the right tank. The accuracy of the fuel gauges' calibration could not be determined. There was no evidence of a flight planning or fuel usage calculation found in the wreckage. The 2-bladed propeller exhibited damage that is consistent with a 'wind milling' propeller. The total quantity of fuel onboard at the time of the last departure is unknown. During postaccident testing, the engine was supplied with fuel and it started and ran for several minutes without discrepancies. The pilot stated that he has no recollection of the accident.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
    The pilot's inadequate preflight planning and his failure to verify fuel consumption during flight that resulted in fuel exhaustion and subsequent collision with obstacles and the ground.
    Yes, that's it. If you could please shoot me the report ID #, I would greatly appreciate it. I did a search & it only comes up w/the index? Weird. If you want to take this to PM, would probably be appropriate.

Sorry about the guys...
    "Enjoy the ride!"

BadAss Hooligan

Personally I like them with the A-65, 65 HP Continental. The 85 HP C-85 doesn't really do much except weight more. The plane flies primarily on its thick high lift wing, not its engine so an additional 20 HP doesn't make a huge difference in what it can do.
    That extra 20hp can be difference between getting air born or not when your at 5000 feet and it's 100*f out side.

BadAss Hooligan

Finally got the picture of my father with his Cessna 140 not sure on year of plane. The picture was taken in 1966. I sure loved to fly it in air but I was so young I could not even reach pedals so it was basic flying but it was fun. Name:  100_5702.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  1.87 MB

Weirdly Peculiar

Quote Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
    That extra 20hp can be difference between getting air born or not when your at 5000 feet and it's 100*f out side.
    Big issue in Colorado! More than a few have flown to Leadville for lunch, ate a big lunch, gassed up the plane and either ran off the end of the runway or figured it out sometime before doing so...

BadAss Hooligan

I've hovered and flown a Cub backwards before too.
    I wasn't at the airstrip on the day but was told about it by the pilot who flew the glider. The airstrip I flew at used a winch to launch the gliders we flew, A V8 with an auto box and a big steel "cotton reel" with a mile and half of high tensile wire and a cabin on top for the operator. The winch towed the gliders up to altitude and then the glider pilot released the cable which returned to earth via a drogue chute (orange and blue thing in front of the glider in the video below). Typically we would get around 1500 feet off a normal launch depending on wind, pilot skill and how much tow cable you had, the cable was then towed back out with a car.

Anyway this day the headwind was so strong the single seat glider with an experienced pilot at the controls was towed up to around 2000 ft the winch then slowed the speed right down and slowly eased the cable back out with the glider still attached. In other words even though the glider had enough air speed to maintain lift it was actually travelling backwards over the ground. The winch then pulled it up again and ended up with around 3000 ft from the launch.

In the video above the guy mentions a back release that's an automatic cable release, at our club the winch driver would back off the power at the right time and the pilot would release the cable themselves rather than relying on the back release, it is more gentle on the glider, pilot and cable and there is less chance of stalling the aircraft. We actually had a student crash (at low altitude) the instructor pulled the release as soon as they started the climb to test the students proficiency in preparation for his first solo. Needless to say he didn't solo that day.

BadAss Hooligan

That's freaky

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
    I've routinely flown 65 and 85 HP Cubs and Champs up to Lake Tahoe and Truckee, CA (elevation 6300') and I assure you that being able to understand the wind, the direction it's coming from, and how to utilize slope lift is much more important than the extra 20 HP.

The first mistake people make is pulling back too much when they're going to hit something. You aim for the top 1/3 of the obstacle (tree, house, whatever) build up as much speed as possible and pull up at the last minute to use your energy and clear it.

I've beat friends home from Lake Tahoe, CA when they were in a 100 HP Champ and I was in a 65 HP Champ. I was already over the 11k' pass while they still circled the lake trying to get altitude.

Doesn't matter if you're in a 747, there isn't enough power in non military aircraft to overpower the effects of wind.

I've been in 230 HP Cessna 182s that I've had to take the controls from friends up in the mountains because they tried to use power to get out of a large downdraft instead of moving the plane to the upwind side of the mountain peak.
    Last edited by AV80R; 06-26-2017 at 08:21 PM.