+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 21 ... LastLast
    President of the ZRXOA

1955 Cessna 170B "Fo-Fo Charlie"

Some have expressed interest in seeing more of my plane so I invite you to come along as I chronicle how much time and money it takes to get it airworthy again by completing an annual inspection.

The plane has been in our family for 23 years. It was the airplane I did my first solo in (real aviators fly taildraggers ) and also the plane I used for my private pilot checkride to get my license. She is affectionately referred to as "Fo-Fo Charlie".

It's a 1955 Cessna 170B, built in November 1954. She has about 5000 hours on the airframe which is somewhere around 600,000+ miles.

Cruise is around 120-130 mph while burning 7-8 gallons per hour. It works out to be about 15-18 MPG.

42 gallons total fuel (37 usable), means you can fly for 4 hours and cover about 500 miles. My bladder lasts about 2 hours...

The engine is a silky smooth 6-cyl Continental O-300 with a fixed pitch 76" prop making 145 HP at the 2700 rpm redline.

The plane is largely original with some tasteful mods to help it perform when I fly over the 12,000' peaks of the Sierra Nevadas. The engine and airframe was restored by my own two hands. Scary, right? Don't worry, only a few nuts and bolts fell off but apparently it still flew just fine. (Before anyone freaks out, I do not fly with missing fasteners. The entire plane gets inspected before each flight. The only loose nut allowed in the plane sits behind the control yoke )

I have been so busy with other stuff, the plane hasn't flown since last year. Hobby rotation over the past year has not gone well for Fo-Fo Charlie but I hope to change that. My little girl took two flights in it when she was a newborn. (San Diego & Catalina Island). She'll enjoy it a lot more now I think!

DISCLAIMER: All of the work described in this thread is done under the direct supervision of a licensed A&P mechanic with Inspection Authorization. As the owner I am only permitted to do preventative maintenance, but I've been doing a supervised annual inspection on this plane for decades and know it inside and out.

The first step of the annual inspection is to wash it. She liked being out in the sun today and taxing her to the wash rack made me excited to fly again.

Time: 1.0 hour
    Cost: $0.00
    -----
    Total time: 1.0 hour
    Total Cost: $0.00

Barn door flaps:

Panel:

Float type fuel gauges, similar to the ZRX:

Fuel control valve:

Johnson bar for the flaps:

Dataplate:

Outside air temp gauge:

An ashtray for each passenger was an important feature in 1955

These confuse newbie pilots who don't know about old airplanes:

Workbench at the hangar:

My other OA:

Last edited by AV80R; 06-09-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Born In The USA

Re: 1955 Cessna 170B "Fo-Fo Charlie"

Looks like it's leaking soapy water.

Very nyzzz!

Is that information Whiskey? I haven't seen one of those before.
    Last edited by Cadman; 06-09-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Nice, reminds me of my fathers Cessna 140 that he had shinny as aluminum could shine. Loved flying it in the air as I was too young for take off or landing. I have a picture of him with it I will try to take a camera shot and download to computer. Recently went up in a friends 184 with my youngest son and he got to fly for a while and was a natural.

Just call me Gordon

I like that your plane is like your bikes clean enough to eat off of em

NOV 2017 BOTM

Licensed to Mod

Beautiful plane , Thanks for sharing pictures!

BadAss Hooligan

Lovely old girl, I bet she is a pleasure to fly

BadAss Hooligan

Looks like its been well cared for over its life, great to see something from the 50s in such great shape
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

BadAss Hooligan

Wow! Makes my 10 years newer Cessna look old and dirty. Really like all the details.
    ZRXOA 8377
    '01 Green Machine with some Bling
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who will not try, no explanation is possible

Weirdly Peculiar

Brings back memories of a beautiful blue and polished aluminum 180 I used to hang around. Love the high wing tail draggers!
    2000 Green, 1109, Mikuni 38mm TMR-MJN's, Yosh pipe, ZX-11 cams, Pods, ZX-11 Ignitor, Kwick Kill, Tealdo Stick Coils, Wyn's Sprocket Cover, Ted's Battery Out, MonkeyPincher Rack

2010 Concours 14 ABS Ball Coddler "The Velvet Missle", 151 HP, lots 'o mods

"A man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

He who is right all the time is never always right.

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Is that the original GPS?
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Looks like it's leaking soapy water.

Very nyzzz!

Is that information Whiskey? I haven't seen one of those before.
    Bill, nice catch. I was waiting for someone to notice the wheel and expected someone to ask what the heck it was. You figured it out. It helps old guys like me not stammer on the radio after forgetting the information for an airport during my initial radio call.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rex II View Post
    Nice, reminds me of my fathers Cessna 140 that he had shinny as aluminum could shine. Loved flying it in the air as I was too young for take off or landing. I have a picture of him with it I will try to take a camera shot and download to computer. Recently went up in a friends 184 with my youngest son and he got to fly for a while and was a natural.
    C-140's are a blast! I have lots of time in one and would own that instead if they weren't so cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer64d View Post
    I like that your plane is like your bikes clean enough to eat off of em
    Thanks Gordon. It wasn't always that way with this plane. It took years.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
    Lovely old girl, I bet she is a pleasure to fly
    Thank you. She spends most of her time flying low and slow along the California coast.

Quote Originally Posted by budzrex View Post
    Looks like its been well cared for over its life, great to see something from the 50s in such great shape
    Thanks Bud. I really like old stuff so much better than the new offerings. The Art Deco interior, round tail feathers, fastback design with no rear window, windshield strap, and of course being a taildragger are some of my favorite cues from the 50's that set this plane apart on the ramp wherever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bossracer View Post
    Wow! Makes my 10 years newer Cessna look old and dirty. Really like all the details.
    Whatcha got?! Tell me more!

Quote Originally Posted by BASpro View Post

Brings back memories of a beautiful blue and polished aluminum 180 I used to hang around. Love the high wing tail draggers!
    A C-180 (actually a C-185 if I'm gonna dream) is probably the only plane I'd like to have to replace Fo Fo Charlie. My friend has a 1955 C-180 and it's the exact same fuselage and wings as my plane, with taller main gear, and a straight tail. Oh, the 235 hp Continental IO-470 with the constant speed prop is what makes the C-180 so special!

With the constant speed prop, you can actually get all 235 hp on takeoff in the C-180. My C-170B only manages 2450 rpm on takeoff (2700 redline) which means I am working with about 110 hp.

That doesn't matter much at sea level, but when density altitude is 10k' in the Sierra Nevadas, it can make things exciting for me. The rear seat in the C-170B becomes decorative in the high mountain airports

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    Is that the original GPS?
    But of course!...not!

With the recent advent of affordable solid state instrumentation, people have ripped out the vacuum and the electric gyro instruments and hacked up the panels to install them.

I went the other way and only installed a simple GPS on a RAM mount that attaches to a removable blanking plate for an unused instrument hole.

The rest of the panel is period correct. Two VORs, ILS with glide slope, old school flip flop radios, and even the wind up WAKMAN 8 day clock.

I've added a couple modern engine instruments (6 point EGT/CHT, digital rpm, fuel flow computer) but those fit neatly into the existing holes.

I did a bunch of my instrument training in this plane. I never finished and got my instrument rating, and now all the VOR and ILS approaches are being quickly replaced with GPS approaches.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

He is I

first annual i signed off after get my ia was a c-170b.
    uuhh the other larry - rwynant 2009

remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday - dale carnegie

four time winner of the ZRXOA picture game

zrxoa #8603

05 zrx 1200r - ludicrous speed
    01 zrx 1200r - proof my wife loves me
    02 zrx 1200r - cause there is no substitute for torque
    03 zrx 1200r - triton's bride limits him to four
    95 HD sportster 883 - for the buzz

President of the ZRXOA

Cessna 170's were primarily offered in two colors, red and green trim over bare aluminum.

There's a longstanding debate on which color is faster (sound familiar? ). I have been solidly in the red camp since Fo Fo Charlie sports Seminole Red Metallic trim but she's been painted a few times in the past 6 decades.

In Nov 1954, she came out of the factory in Wichita sporting the Welsh Green trim on the are aluminum.

In the 60's she got painted black with purple trim. Oh how I would love to see a picture of that!

In 1986, the owner was a good family friend and sold my family a 1946 7AC Aeronca Champ for $4500. He took that money and Fo Fo Charlie to the now long gone Fremont Airport and had the plane painted all white with red trim in the factory original scheme with just a couple small modifications.

I do admit, I kinda wish she was still bare aluminum with the Welsh Green trim. If I ever win the lottery, I'll spend the $20k it would take to strip, paint and polish her back to the original livery.

Here's the factory sales brochure showing both the red and green paint schemes.

And some magazine ads. I have a huge library of literature that I've been collecting for years.

BadAss Hooligan

Wow very nice post/pics! Only thing I couldn't figure out/never seen was the extra 2 pedals on the floor? Brakes???? (I'm guessing because it's a tail-dragger?) Those old Pitot tubes almost look like guns. Reduced in size in future aircraft.

Someday I'll get a pic of my Dad flying his 63' 210. Got one on the wall (I should have shown you when you visited.) We rented for many years all kinds of different Cessna's, Piper's, Mooney's, Beechcraft, etc. This was f/~65'-76', then Dad got sick of renting & got his 63' Cessna 210. When we got it the dash was trashed, had a huge hole in it. Dad & I got a new dash & installed it ourselves.

He bought it from Westinghouse Aircraft Division. I guess they developed the "ground-avoidance-radar" for the F4 Phantom w/it. It was high-hrs., but came w/a HUGE book of service records. It had almost been totally rebuilt several times due to all the stresses put on it during development of that radar, flying low/fast @ 200' altitudes. The program was successful, & the airplane was immaculate excepting he got it "as-is" f/them.

Both Mom & I took the "Pinch Hitter" FAA course; this in case there was an in-flight emergency we could land the plane. Mom stopped there but I went on all the way to Solo (8 hours), & continued to something ~24hours in logbook. I still got it stashed away in dark/dry place. I take it out & look at it once & awhile....(sigh.) Should have gone on & got my license, but @ 16yrs. old I had other interests (.)(.)...

Someday hope to fly w/you. Plane looks immaculate. 1 hour wash? Try washing & waxing; the wax job will add several more hours, making it a 1/3 day job.
    "Enjoy the ride!"

President of the ZRXOA

The plane has dual controls Dave. Each front seat has its own set of pedals which control the rudder and brakes. In 1956, the final year for the 170, Cessna made the right side controls optional.

Polishing and waxing the plane is a full day job that will leave you sore! The belly and wing bottoms are the worst of it.

Keep working on your physical therapy so you can come out to Hayweird Airport and go for a ride once Fo Fo Charlie is airworthy again.
    Last edited by AV80R; 06-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.

BadAss Hooligan
    The only thing in that plane that doesn't look brand new is the original data plate! Well done, Arash!

I never got into flying myself because of the time and money commitment. Motorcycles and cars (and my family) pretty much tapped out my resources. My first exposure was a ride at 8 years old in a Piper J2 Cub piloted by my Grandpa in the mountains north of Missoula, MT. I remember him gripping the prop blade with both hands (thumbs on top with his fingers), swinging his right leg up, and then pushing the prop rapidly down to start the engine. Being a tandem seater, he could carry only one passenger, but one of us kids could ride with one of our parents, or sometimes he'd take two kids up.

My Grandpa was the one who got me interested in motorcycles. I was also interested in flying, but never made the time or money commitment to take it up seriously. I respect and applaud those who have done that.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Mike L
    ZRXOA #7914

2001 ZRX-1200R, dear departed beautiful BLACK
    2005 ZRX-1200R, new mean GREEN
    1983 Honda CB1100F (crashed at 105K miles)
    Old Triumphs (62 Bonnie, 69 Trident, 70 Bonnie)
    Old Harleys (48 Hummer 125, 56 Hummer 165)

BadAss Hooligan

I didn't know I could be so in love with a plane, I just merely clicked on this out of curiosity... but Fo Fo Charlie...is a FOX!!!!! Oh my God, she is gorgeous!!!
    Very reminiscent of the late 50s in every way, every member of my family would drool over this thing for hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooligan

I solo'd in a 170 when I was 16....IIRC. "one five six five Quebec ".....she was a rickety ol thing back then. I'll never forget the experience....flying an airplane alone for the first time. Wow what a rush.

Born In The USA

Alone in an airplane for the first time is a unique feeling for sure.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

In response to Arash question..... 65 Cessna 310J.
    ZRXOA 8377
    '01 Green Machine with some Bling
    '00 RC51
    '83 GPz 550-- Number 4.
    93 Ninja 1100

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.
    For those who will not try, no explanation is possible

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
    The only thing in that plane that doesn't look brand new is the original data plate! Well done, Arash!

I never got into flying myself because of the time and money commitment. Motorcycles and cars (and my family) pretty much tapped out my resources. My first exposure was a ride at 8 years old in a Piper J2 Cub piloted by my Grandpa in the mountains north of Missoula, MT. I remember him gripping the prop blade with both hands (thumbs on top with his fingers), swinging his right leg up, and then pushing the prop rapidly down to start the engine. Being a tandem seater, he could carry only one passenger, but one of us kids could ride with one of our parents, or sometimes he'd take two kids up.

My Grandpa was the one who got me interested in motorcycles. I was also interested in flying, but never made the time or money commitment to take it up seriously. I respect and applaud those who have done that.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Your grandpa sounds like my kind of guy

I've been crammed into the front seat of a Cub with my brother a few times when we were little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ZluckOtheRX View Post
    I didn't know I could be so in love with a plane, I just merely clicked on this out of curiosity... but Fo Fo Charlie...is a FOX!!!!! Oh my God, she is gorgeous!!!
    Very reminiscent of the late 50s in every way, every member of my family would drool over this thing for hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What a compliment, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tkachuk View Post
    I solo'd in a 170 when I was 16....IIRC. "one five six five Quebec ".....she was a rickety ol thing back then. I'll never forget the experience....flying an airplane alone for the first time. Wow what a rush.
    First solo was the pinnacle aviation moment for me, everything after that wasn't anywhere close to as exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    Alone in an airplane for the first time is a unique feeling for sure.
    Once my 250 lb stepdad got out, the plane flew so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bossracer View Post
    In response to Arash question..... 65 Cessna 310J.
    Those are awesome. My friend just bought a Cessna 320 and holy moly...it's a rocket ship!

The Cessna 310/320 is the best looking twin by far IMO. Sky King
    Last edited by AV80R; 06-10-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Hooligan

Wow...let me correct that...solo'd in a 150... N1565Q
    Beautiful airplane you have there!!

I'm Canadian!

My best bud has a 185 on anphib PK floats. Parks it in the water in front of his house. Very cool.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Pops
    Size matters, good thing I drive a huge bus.

Hooligan

""Polishing and waxing the plane is a full day job that will leave you sore! The belly and wing bottoms are the worst of it.""

Oh for sure.... my dad used up many a weekend of mine when I was a kid...wash and wax was a loooong day, or two. But ya know what? I had a C-note in my pocket when it was over. Thanks Dad!!!!! XO

President of the ZRXOA

Wow...let me correct that...solo'd in a 150... N1565Q
    Beautiful airplane you have there!!
    So many aviators had their first solo in a 150, my favorite model was the Aerobat!

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    My best bud has a 185 on anphib PK floats. Parks it in the water in front of his house. Very cool.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Pops
    A 185 on amphibious floats is probably one of the best airplanes in the world IMO.

""Polishing and waxing the plane is a full day job that will leave you sore! The belly and wing bottoms are the worst of it.""

Oh for sure.... my dad used up many a weekend of mine when I was a kid...wash and wax was a loooong day, or two. But ya know what? I had a C-note in my pocket when it was over. Thanks Dad!!!!! XO
    Your dad appreciated how hard of a job that was! We have had some biplanes and cleaning those drove me bonkers.
    Last edited by SloMotion; 06-11-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Per request OP

Hooligan

My Dad and one of 7 uncle's shared a hangar a long time ago ...the entire family were into flying/pilots. Marty had a taildragger of some sort.. an Aeronca Chief maybe? Small little thing that he'd take me up in ALOT and let me fly. Got me hooked. Dad still has the Navion....Sale pending. That plane is nice. Imo

BadAss Hooligan

My solo was in a Blanik all aluminium sailplane similar to this one

after that I got to fly a single seat Albatross the difference between the trainer and the wooden Albatross was amazing so light and agile.

The view from the pilots seat of the Blanik

The big yellow handle is the tow cable release, the lever on the left is the flap handle, the silver knob to the right of the compass is the vent open / close control, the control column is between the legs and the rudder pedals are under the pilots feet (obviously). Pretty basic instruments, altimeter, airspeed, compass, turn and bank, varios (vertical air speed) and side slip.
    An interesting detail about the Blanik, it has speed limiting dive brakes. That means you can extend the air brakes fully, point the nose at the ground (vertically) and the aircraft would not exceed max rough airspeed of 78 knots (90 mph) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LET_L-13_Blan%C3%ADk
    One time I was thermalling at 10,000 ft and getting sucked up into the cloud (most gliders and pilots are strictly VFR) we also were not allowed above 10,000 because of the risk of hypoxia, I popped the dive brakes and pointed the nose down probably about 45 - 50 degrees doing 60 knots and was still climbing I got to the edge of the cloud the glider dropped like a brick, I popped the drive brakes back in and got back under the cloud had a great flight that day.
    Last edited by MaverickAus; 06-12-2017 at 05:18 AM.

BadAss Hooligan

I suppose you have seen this?

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

My solo was in a Blanik all aluminium sailplane similar to this one

The big yellow handle is the tow cable release, the lever on the left is the flap handle, the silver knob to the right of the compass is the vent open / close control, the control column is between the legs and the rudder pedals are under the pilots feet (obviously). Pretty basic instruments, altimeter, airspeed, compass, turn and bank, varios (vertical air speed) and side slip.
    An interesting detail about the Blanik, it has speed limiting dive brakes. That means you can extend the air brakes fully, point the nose at the ground (vertically) and the aircraft would not exceed max rough airspeed of 78 knots (90 mph) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LET_L-13_Blan%C3%ADk
    One time I was thermalling at 10,000 ft and getting sucked up into the cloud (most gliders and pilots are strictly VFR) we also were not allowed above 10,000 because of the risk of hypoxia, I popped the dive brakes and pointed the nose down probably about 45 - 50 degrees doing 60 knots and was still climbing I got to the edge of the cloud the glider dropped like a brick, I popped the drive brakes back in and got back under the cloud had a great flight that day.
    I have always wanted to fly a glider. Is the throttle on the left?

I soloed in a diamond DA-20 back in '04 then promptly lost my medical for an SSRI med I didn;t know was on the banned list. I am not on it anymore, but don't have the extra $ to go back. The rental on the aircraft has gone up quite a bit since then...

Last edited by Tacmedic; 06-12-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    I have always wanted to fly a glider. Is the throttle on the left?
    the lever on the left is the flap handle,
    And I tried so hard to explain stuff

Oh yeah sailplanes don't have infernal combustion engines