+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Stuffed Up

Re: What did you do to your OTHER BIKE today?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve St.Laurent View Post
    It's that dreaded time of year again for us northerners. Took a quick hour ride on sunday, filled the tank along with sta-bil, changed the oil & filter, cleaned the chain, and gave it a good top to bottom cleaning.

Attachment 320130

Off to hibernate for the next 5 months

Attachment 320131
    5 months???!?!?!?!?!?!! Freakin ouch!

Tell me you have a sled or something to ease that pain!

2007 - Ixil SlipOn Exhaust, BW Headers, NoFlo's, Uni Pods, +4 ELS Advancer, FP Jetting

I'm a turbo-diesel driving, cigar smoking, Bambi killing, mean MOFO

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
    5 months???!?!?!?!?!?!! Freakin ouch!

Tell me you have a sled or something to ease that pain!
    Right now unfortunately no. I used to ride the dirt bike year round. That was awesome but I can't exert that much energy without a flare up of my autoimmune disease. One thing for sure, it definitely makes you ready for spring! It's a little sweeter.

Next 2 months I'll be hunting and then just have to grind through the January to March deep freeze. End of March I ride south towards Austin.
    -Steve St.Laurent
    ZRXOA #4699, IBA #38229

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    I have had the old fuses come apart inside twice. Looks good, but no worky.

Glad you have the battery figured out. So.......what happened under the battery? Acid is a big problem. Baking soda will stop it, but there will be corrosion to deal with.
    It had a crack in it. Time for a new one.

Hooligan

Fitted different swinging arm to my z900,it had an 1100 zrx arm fitted which i need for my pikey peak 11 build.
    Used a 89ish GSXR 750 slingshot arm i've used on my ELR in the past,a little bit of modding and it slipped right in.
    Attached Images        
    hee,hee, never touched me!!

kawaman21

Born In The USA

Gettin' serious out in the shed!
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Had a very warm November day today (12C deg.), so after I flushed and refilled the Thumper's Radiators I took her for a spin.
    First I made a stop for fries and coffee at my favorite spot in the Hamburg harbor area. Always many vintage cars and bikes there.
    Name:  IMG_5155.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  1.98 MB
    Name:  IMG_5156.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  2.10 MB

Then I took her for a stroll through the woods and got a little dirty.
    Name:  IMG_5158.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  2.89 MB
    Name:  IMG_5159.JPG
Views: 280
Size:  1.75 MB

My street gear is not the right choice for fooling around in the mud. I guess I need some off-road pants and boots.
    Name:  IMG_5157.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  2.53 MB

Back in the shed after a thorough cleaning and telling her little sister about her day.
    Name:  IMG_5160.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  1.23 MB
    Godspeed Jaco. You're missed down here mate.

Member number # 10085 ----------- BOTM July 2018 ----------- Restoring the old Gipsy

BadAss Hooligan

26k valve check on the Fz1. All in spec as is the norm. Replaced the coolant hoses also, they probably won't be available soon.

Name:  20191103_120602.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  2.75 MB

BadAss Hooligan

I spent the day getting the bikes ready for the winter except for my ZX14 which is getting a new swingarm and the KZ1000 on the lift.
    Oil changes, Sta-Bil and topped them off with 100% gas after a little ride.
    Kinda sad, already looking forward to spring!
    Dan
    Name:  Polish_20191107_100127899.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  1.59 MB
    Turbo Division Member # 6

WHY I STAND:
    The American Flag does not fly because the wind moves past it. The American Flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it.

2009 Hooligan of the year

Did a little trail side repair work on the OTHER bike today. Tried to take out a tree. The tree won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Did a little trail side repair work on the OTHER bike today. Tried to take out a tree. The tree won.

I bought a plastic number plate after a similar battle with a tree. I didnít break anything but figured it was imminent. Also, I never ride at night so the headlight is redundant. Much cheaper to replace now if I break it, only $15-20 instead of $100+.
    Mike

NS Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by oldkawboy View Post
    I spent the day getting the bikes ready for the winter except for my ZX14 which is getting a new swingarm and the KZ1000 on the lift.
    Oil changes, Sta-Bil and topped them off with 100% gas after a little ride.
    Kinda sad, already looking forward to spring!
    Dan
    Attachment 320713
    Nice collection
    let the good times roll #5538 http://www.mustangcanada.com Mark's big boys toys 2004zrx 1200 2004 supercharged mustang GT 2007 400 burgman[crashed] ,2000 zx9r sold: 2004 650classic my old 750 honda. new toy2011,103streetglide

What did you do to your OTHER BIKE today?

In the middle of one SERIOUSLY PITA valve adjustment. Things are so insanely tight clearance wise, it may truly be easier to pull the engine out of the frame.

Last edited by zrx24; 11-14-2019 at 05:03 PM.

The headlight/fairing replacement was also more involved than it should have been.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    The headlight/fairing replacement was also more involved than it should have been.

New headlight looks great. I like the white.
    Mike

Swapped out the busted throttle cables with a fresh set of Motion Pros and added some armoring for good measure.

Name:  Clipboard02.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2834.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  1.90 MB

BadAss Hooligan

Hacked my old Honda VTX1300 pipes to make exhaust for the Vulcan900.
    Went from 1.2 to 1.5 inch diameter down tubes and SS Muffler and baffle. Not done yet. Still waiting on parts.
    Name:  20191122_140218.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  3.87 MB
    Name:  20191122_140228.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  3.89 MB
    Name:  20191122_154947.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  1.70 MB
    Name:  20191122_155022.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  1.65 MB

BadAss Hooligan

Rode about 60 miles and winterized a bunch of them today.... Very sunny and low 40's

2015 XR650L
    2010 FZ-1
    2009 ER-6N
    2004 ZRX1200
    2003 KLX400
    2003 SV1000
    1999 ZX-11
    1998 Vulcan 1500
    1995 GPZ1100
    1994 CB1000

Hopefully, I can get to the rest of them in the next several days.

Hooligan

The ZZR1200? Rode it. Trying to edge it ever closer to the 150,000 km mark. 380km to go.
    Top weather for a ride here, 28 C, almost start of our summer.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Put a flywheel weight on the 250sx in order to further transform the motocross bike into something better on the trails. It helped on the hill climbs.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    Put a flywheel weight on the 250sx in order to further transform the motocross bike into something better on the trails. It helped on the hill climbs.
    Bike looks nice.
    So itís more like the XC now? What gearing do you run? Any suspension changes for trail vs track?
    Mike

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Bike looks nice.
    So itís more like the XC now? What gearing do you run? Any suspension changes for trail vs track?
    It has been a gradual transformation. I'm just too damn old and out of shape to ride much motocross, and spend about 80% of my time trail riding. The SX is just insane on trails in stock form.

I started by sending the suspension off to MotoLab and had it resprung and lowered 2" internally. Then I added a Rekluse clutch, changed out the power valve spring an added a left hand rear brake, (my all time favorite mod), You can see the rear brake in the picture. The clutch is mounted up high and the brake is below it. I wish I had one for the ZRX

I threw the flywheel weight on before the ride yesterday and what a difference it made. It is not so easy to stall and it is much easier to manage at lower RPMs. Now if it only had an electric start... but I like not having to deal with maintaining the battery. Just one fewer battery to deal with

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

Hooligan

It has been a gradual transformation. I'm just too damn old and out of shape to ride much motocross, and spend about 80% of my time trail riding. The SX is just insane on trails in stock form.

I started by sending the suspension off to MotoLab and had it resprung and lowered 2" internally. Then I added a Rekluse clutch, changed out the power valve spring an added a left hand rear brake, (my all time favorite mod), You can see the rear brake in the picture. The clutch is mounted up high and the brake is below it. I wish I had one for the ZRX

I threw the flywheel weight on before the ride yesterday and what a difference it made. It is not so easy to stall and it is much easier to manage at lower RPMs. Now if it only had an electric start... but I like not having to deal with maintaining the battery. Just one fewer battery to deal with
    We are in the same boat, or trail may be a better word.
    Our bikes are likely very similar but started at opposite ends of the scale. I ride a Husqvarna FE350. Itís also been resprung, has a full FMF exhaust with power bomb and mapped accordingly. Iíve been seriously considering the Rekluse and have always heard the left hand brake is a great upgrade.
    I know what you mean about battery maintenance as I got left pushing in the woods last year when my battery died. No kick start and EFI is battery powered!!! But Iíve been spoiled by E-start so long I donít think I could back.
    Mike

BadAss Hooligan

What did you do to your OTHER BIKE today? - Ignition Switch Replacement

I began the project to replace the V-Strom Ignition Switch on the handlebar. Bike No Start!!! I've had a hit and miss starting affair with the switch. The switch is a simple replacement however the location where it plugs into the wiring harness is NOT SIMPLE. It's located below the airbox just in front of the throttle body. Schematic below.

Replacement Handlebar Switch
    Name:  Ignition Switch.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  90.9 KBName:  Handlebar Starter Control-Switch.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  19.3 KB

Schematic of Plug-in Location
    Name:  Ignition Switch Schematic.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  114.1 KB

So I began the process of removing the tank. It's a bit more involved than removing a ZRX Tank!!!!!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLlZBCHvq3o I have to loosen the airbox base plate in order to get my 'meat hooks' to the plug-in location - bottom right pic. BTW - The V-Strom airbox was designed by 'The Spawn of Hell'!!!!!!!!!! Again let me say that the ZRX was much easier to work on. Even the carbs!!! The boot on rear throttle body was easy to release HOWEVER the front throttle body booth NOT SO MUCH!!! I had to use my 22 inch long carb screwdriver, then find a way to to see the clamp screw head, fit the screwdriver into the center of the engine bay, and engage the screw head that was hidden whenever the screwdriver was placed into the passage on it's way to the screw head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN!!!

Well to make a long story less boring, I finally got the airbox front throttle body boot loose, lifted up the plate and the old unit unplugged and the replacement plugged in and routed to the handlebar. I put the airbox bottom place back into place with the throttle bodies. Rear clamp Easy Peasy. The front clamp however rotated out of position whenever I touched it with the long screwdriver. So I had to then remove the airbox bottom place several times to rotate the clamp back into position. After 4 tries I was able to tighten the front throttle body boot! YES!!! I ran outta daylight and put a cover on the old girl for a good nights sleep. I'll button up the project today (Tuesday).

Typing this up makes me tired all over again!!! Stay tuned for the installment of "As The Ignition Switch Turns".

Name:  Ignition Switch Install 01.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  109.5 KB.....Name:  Ignition Switch Install 02 a.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  35.4 KB
    Last edited by Big Harry; 11-26-2019 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added Schematic
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Pine Tree DJ

Intended to just change the oil and go for a ride, but made the mistake of cleaning around the oil filter.....
    Then took off the kickstand and cleaned off all of the chain lube and crap that had accumulated there. New spring that has been waiting for about a year.
    Then changed the oil and went for a ride.

Name:  20191123_144529.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  4.09 MB
    Name:  20191123_144601.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  4.25 MB
    Name:  20191123_144806.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.48 MB
    Name:  20191123_150142.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  3.18 MB
    Name:  20191123_160005.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  2.00 MB

BadAss Hooligan

I have the E-start on my XC and XC-F they are great when you put yourself in a bad spot that is way off camber and would be tough to kick start without pushing to a flat spot, small lithium battery holds a charge great.
    Have a couple of friends with the left hand rear brake and they love it as well, I need to try it. They also run the Rekluse auto clutches and really like them.
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Quote Originally Posted by budzrex View Post
    I have the E-start on my XC and XC-F they are great when you put yourself in a bad spot that is way off camber and would be tough to kick start without pushing to a flat spot, small lithium battery holds a charge great.
    Have a couple of friends with the left hand rear brake and they love it as well, I need to try it. They also run the Rekluse auto clutches and really like them.
    Yeah, there is nothing like trying to get up a tough hill, falling over, and having to pick it up and figure out how to kick the damn thing when you are already winded. There are times I run through a string of cuss words because I don't have one

That left hand rear brake is the shit! You can get so much feel with a hand brake that you can't get through motocross boots on a foot brake. The one made by Rekluse ties right into the stock rear master.

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by PT Matt View Post
    Intended to just change the oil and go for a ride, but made the mistake of cleaning around the oil filter.....
    Then took off the kickstand and cleaned off all of the chain lube and crap that had accumulated there. New spring that has been waiting for about a year.

Attachment 321827
    Attachment 321828
    Attachment 321829
    Attachment 321830
    Attachment 321831
    Man that is one sweet Super Hawk, I was looking at those and about to pull the trigger on one when I made one last trip back to the local Kawasaki-Suzuki-Yamaha dealer as I was torn between the SuperHawk and an FJ1200 that was on his floor when I spied my first ZRX I walked in and told Dale if Kawasaki still made that bike I would buy one now. He grinned and said sold as long as you like Black bikes as that was the only green one I got and its sold but I have a black one in the crate

The rest has been a 20 year love affair.
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by PT Matt View Post

Attachment 321827
    Attachment 321828
    Attachment 321829
    Attachment 321830
    Attachment 321831
    Awesome SuperHawk you have there, I had two of them, phenomenal motorcycle! I sold my last one to get my current 99 ZRX. Those big twins sound so good!

BadAss Hooligan

Yeah, there is nothing like trying to get up a tough hill, falling over, and having to pick it up and figure out how to kick the damn thing when you are already winded. There are times I run through a string of cuss words because I don't have one

That left hand rear brake is the shit! You can get so much feel with a hand brake that you can't get through motocross boots on a foot brake. The one made by Rekluse ties right into the stock rear master.
    Yea, I keep thinking about one I need to try out one of my buds setups and see how I like it. Did you get used to it fairly quickly or do you find muscle memory still gets you on the pedal before the lever
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

huckleberry squarepants

Baby steps.....

Name:  IMG_0017.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  1.91 MB
    Name:  IMG_0018.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  1.95 MB
    Name:  IMG_0022.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  2.06 MB

I've got lights, starter, and a clean float-bowl! I need to clean the carb and gas tank then get new lines. I won't start the thing until I get it into the garage come spring. There is enough to keep me busy over the winter cleaning this thing up and sorting out stuff. I need a bunch of correct metric fasteners to make it more normal.