+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

The day SRV was booed off stage

Cal Expo, California state fair grounds in Sacramento, had just started to hold concerts at the horse race track in 1981.
    Sammy Hagar was headlining and my fiance wanted to go so I bought tickets. I liked Hagar too but the real draw for me were the up and comers Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble.
    There were 20,000 people there and I swear it was me and some other guy about 100 ft. away that were cheering for SRV when they came on. They played 2 1/2 songs before they left the stage amid a booing crowd. I was dumbfounded. How could this happen?
    Sammy came on stage after they had left and told the crowd how very disappointed he was and that he had personally asked SRV to open the show.
    What a drag!

I did see SRV years later in Mountain View, Ca.. It was shortly before his death. He tore that place down! I miss him.

Blue Smoke

Re: The day SRV was booed off stage

Obviously no appreciation for Stevie's style. What a shame on that audience

BadAss Hooligan

Almost as bad as when Hendrix got booed off the stage....

When he opened for the Monkees in '67.

BadAss Hooligan

The most well known time that happened was at the 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival.

It is well documented on YouTube.

They played that same gig a few years later to a completely different reception.

BadAss Hooligan

I've still got my ticket.
    The Fabulous Thunderbirds,featuring his brother Jimmy,were the support act.

Name:  20190817_060416.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  4.05 MB
    Last edited by Parko; 08-16-2019 at 04:14 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Parko View Post
    I've still got my ticket.
    The Fabulous Thunderbirds,featuring his brother Jimmy,were the support act.

Attachment 316764
    That picture in your avatar... Awesome.

Would likely be the most valuable Mustang in existence if they could ever find it.

In Charge of McGov Only

It's why they stopped doing opening acts at rock concerts. People paid to go see who they wanted and didn't want to wait to hear someone else.

BadAss Hooligan

I was lucky enough to see SRV many times, at small clubs in Houston, on 6th street in Austin with Bonnie Rait, this was actually on the street as all clubs were booked, they ran power out to him and he sat on the hood of his caddy and Bonnie sat with him an sang. Memphis in May with Ray Charles the Catch some Rays tour, in Little Rock with Huey Lewis and the News which was cool as at the end of the show Stevie came back out, Huey joined with the harmonica and they jammed for about 30 minutes after about 80% of the crowd had left. It was the end of the tour for both groups and they just wanted to unwind
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

Kojak's buddy

I know I will be in the minority here but I can honestly say that I have never liked SRV. Not even a little. I don't hate him but don't even like one song.

Btw....they haven't stopped having opening acts. I go to MANY live shows every year. The last three alone were Boston with Joan Jett opening....Train with GooGooDolls opening(hey...it was free) and Shinedown with Dinosaur Pile and someone else opening......
    ZRXOA member#3925
    -"YESTERDAY'S answers....have NOTHING to do....with TODAY'S questions."
    Dave Mustaine

-"Just because you've been taught that something is right...and everybody
    thinks it's right...that STILL don't make it right."
    Jim to Huck
    Quote Originally Posted by andi1978 View Post
    I'd be somebody's K-Fed.

BadAss Hooligan

The B52's opening up for the Who was the most hateful act of mob aggression I've seen at a concert. People were hurling their shoes.

BadAss Hooligan

I believe it was 1983 or so - I was still in college at U of F in Gainesville, FL. Me and my best buddy were huge blues fans at the time, and when we learned SRV would be opening for Huey Lewis and the News in Jax. we got tickets. That's when concert ticket prices were still reasonable.

Stevie put on one hell of a show, and it was great as most of the crowd was milling around waiting for pop music to start. It was open seating so we were able to walk right up to the stage and get blown away by some most excellent Texas Blues.

When Stevie left the stage and the crowd started piling up, we exited and were able to meet Stevie. We got what we came for. Somewhere, I still have my hat that Stevie autographed for me that night.

New Rules, Can't Say...

King of Kazmania

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    I know I will be in the minority here but I can honestly say that I have never liked SRV. Not even a little. I don't hate him but don't even like one song.

Btw....they haven't stopped having opening acts. I go to MANY live shows every year. The last three alone were Boston with Joan Jett opening....Train with GooGooDolls opening(hey...it was free) and Shinedown with Dinosaur Pile and someone else opening......

Antibluesite

That's downright un-American right there...

" 'tis far better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
    - Someone

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on,
    or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    - Someone else

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, DO WHAT YOU SAY

Hooligan

Pearls to swine.
    The 2...4...10 rule: always know what is 2 seconds, 4 seconds, and 10 seconds down the road.

'01 ZRX1200R ... '03 ZZR1200 ... '84 GPZ900 ... '83 KZ750 ... 7 Hondas ... 1 Yamaha

Licensed to Mod
    Leeds,Alabama(about 5 miles from Barbers Motorsports Park)

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post

I will jump in there with you. I never really got into SRV either. But, mainly
    just not my genre of music. I'm more into progressive rock or progressive
    metal. I see about 6 shows a year myself. As far as opening acts, I can only
    think of a few that didn't have opening acts. And I've been to probably
    500+ shows/concerts in my lifetime. I moonlighted at a local large amphitheater
    for around 10 years, and saw a lot of shows then. Including a SRV show not long
    before his passing. Sad day for his fans.
    2002 ZZR1200

King of Kazmania

SRV the only guy that made EC nervous

" 'tis far better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
    - Someone

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on,
    or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    - Someone else

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, DO WHAT YOU SAY