+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I Make Stuff for Me

OEM CNC Machined Steering Stems

There has been lots of talk past and present about having stock OEM steering stems made. We seem to venture down this path every time we are making triple clamps.

I have done the research, talked with, engineers and several of my machining mentors. At this time I am willing to offer a stock steel 1045 OEM stem to the board so that folks do not have to risk damaging there stem while pressing it out or having to deal with pressing one into a custom triple.

The stem would be made to be within stock specs and would be a good alternative to pressing in and out of the bastard ZRX stem that so many have issues with.

So a stock steel OEM stem made from 1045 and zinc coated.

If I get 10 people the price is $175 shipped
    If I get 20 people the price is $125 shipped

I spoke with my lathe guy this morning for an update cost on material/machining and also spoke with my zinc coater so that I can give accurate pricing.

If we get less that 10 people I also have pricing for lower quantities for those that have to have a new stem, but it's higher. Unfortunately I am at his mercy on pricing as it's his shop.

Thanks guys, let me know and we can add you to the list.

President of the ZRXOA

I'm in for one but may need it sooner rather than later for reasons you're aware of.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

I Make Stuff for Me

Re: OEM CNC Machined Steering Stems

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    I'm in for one but may need it sooner rather than later for reasons you're aware of.
    Well I have a couple here that are booger-ed up that might work for those reasons.

That said lathe guy is 3-4 weeks once I submit an order so if we are going to do this and have it coincide with the completion of my triples we need to move fast.

LIST:

AV80R
    JDS
    Ca Pete
    Last edited by Stites; 05-11-2017 at 03:26 PM.

I Make Stuff for Me

OK guys I didn't expect much traffic on this, but wanted to at least offer a solution. I will hit up Steve as I think he is good with making an aluminum stem, I however am not comfortable with it and I ask you all proceed with caution if you do go that route.

President Emeritus

in

The Mod Father

Put me on the list Scott....

President of the ZRXOA

Hi Scott, I'm gonna hop off this list since I got a used stem in hand coming on Monday.

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

I Make Stuff for Me

LIST:

JDS
    Ca Pete
    BG Wells

President Emeritus

Well you know I got on the list to get you to 10, so if the interest isn't there, I don't need one that bad that.

I Make Stuff for Me

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Pete View Post
    Well you know I got on the list to get you to 10, so if the interest isn't there, I don't need one that bad that.
    Pete - I appreciate that! I kind of knew there wasn't going to be interest as we did this a few years ago. Sometimes you have to do the due diligence.

No sweat we tried and sometimes it doesn't always work out.

I Make Stuff for Me

LIST:

JDS
    Ca Pete
    BG Wells
    Bill 281

BadAss Hooligan

Is this list for the steel or aluminum stem? Total price?

I Make Stuff for Me

Quote Originally Posted by Macheater View Post
    Is this list for the steel or aluminum stem? Total price?
    Steel and the price is in the first post depending on how many people we get.

BadAss Hooligan

Scott you must never sleep! 1 question that hasn't been asked yet (I don't think) is would you be able to have customers ship you their lower tiple with the stem, press it out, and install it in your new triples and ship it back? Or is that something you would rather not get into?

Also, if Steve is willing to make an aluminum stem I might be willing to be a test pilot for that mod.

Just trying to consider my options. I had planned to wait for the second batch of those triples but, you are making it hard. They are just so darn cool!

I Make Stuff for Me

Scott you must never sleep! 1 question that hasn't been asked yet (I don't think) is would you be able to have customers ship you their lower tiple with the stem, press it out, and install it in your new triples and ship it back? Or is that something you would rather not get into?

Also, if Steve is willing to make an aluminum stem I might be willing to be a test pilot for that mod.

Just trying to consider my options. I had planned to wait for the second batch of those triples but, you are making it hard. They are just so darn cool!

For a small fee for my time I can help you with that.

Here's the question I had to ask myself after talking with two engineers and two very talented machinists that have parts in space and on airplanes. Is a half pound of weight savings worth someone's life?

I know that's extreme but in reality it's a question I need to ask as you guys are relying on our parts to work. That answer for me was no. We talked about existing bikes using aluminum stems but if you look at them they are large diameter stems, ZRX is small at just over 1" diameter.

President of the ZRXOA

Any desire for aluminum I had was due to the possibility that it would be easier/more feasible to manufacture and bring to market.

If you're making a steel one, forget the aluminum one. The goal was to have a new manufacture stem available that eliminates the difficulties encountered when trying to salvage a stem out of a stock lower triple. This steel ones does that. I was never thinking of the aluminum one with weight savings in mind.

Titanium would be nice so that it doesn't ever corrode. My stock steel one is beginning to rust, but maybe your zinc coating will be enough to make yours last for years.

For anyone considering these stems, pressing them in is very easy...it's the removal of the stock one that caused trouble but now we don't have to deal with that again because Scott has provided an end to end solution.

BadAss Hooligan

Ok sounds like alum is not promising. I happen to have a piece of round stock ti that could be used to make a stem and could possibly get more. How much to machine a ti stem if I supply the material?

I've also noticed that webike sells lightweight axles and such in chromoly. Is that something to consider.

I Make Stuff for Me

Ok sounds like alum is not promising. I happen to have a piece of round stock ti that could be used to make a stem and could possibly get more. How much to machine a ti stem if I supply the material?

I've also noticed that webike sells lightweight axles and such in chromoly. Is that something to consider.
    I can ask my lathe guy for you. Chromoly is a possibility 4130, but it's going to be a lot more money as I spent the last several days pricing chromoly jobs for customers in various forms and the material is 3-4 times more than 1045 steel.

We zinc plated a bunch of Mike's stems a few years back and I haven't heard anything on those. The zinc coated works well if you don't hammer on it, if it's covered with zinc it should last a long time.

Any desire for aluminum I had was due to the possibility that it would be easier/more feasible to manufacture and bring to market.

If you're making a steel one, forget the aluminum one. The goal was to have a new manufacture stem available that eliminates the difficulties encountered when trying to salvage a stem out of a stock lower triple. This steel ones does that. I was never thinking of the aluminum one with weight savings in mind.

Titanium would be nice so that it doesn't ever corrode. My stock steel one is beginning to rust, but maybe your zinc coating will be enough to make yours last for years.

For anyone considering these stems, pressing them in is very easy...it's the removal of the stock one that caused trouble but now we don't have to deal with that again because Scott has provided an end to end solution.

Thank you Arash

The Mod Father

I guess a stainless steel one would be a solution to any potential corrosion issues...but would be more expensive.? (by how much.?)

If the cost is prohibitive. ....then I am more than happy with a new Zinc coated steel one..... (aluminium ones are out for me because of the reason Scott cited...and a Titanium stem would be just Too expensive...)

Brian.

BadAss Hooligan

That was my thought; total solution: Ti upper/lower clamps, w/Ti stem & lower bearing already mounted. Add races/top bearing too. I have no problem spending all you guys money $$$.

I mean, if your going to do it, do it all the way!
    "Enjoy the ride!"

Hooligan

Scott,

Just posted in your Future Products Triples thread ...

I want my new Stites triples to be a truly plug-and-play part, so ...

I'm in for a steering stem in zinc-coated steel. All things considered, it seems to be the most viable option.
    Marco

I Make Stuff for Me

Quote Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
    I guess a stainless steel one would be a solution to any potential corrosion issues...but would be more expensive.? (by how much.?)

If the cost is prohibitive. ....then I am more than happy with a new Zinc coated steel one..... (aluminium ones are out for me because of the reason Scott cited...and a Titanium stem would be just Too expensive...)

Brian.
    Stainless is also very expensive and we are seeing weekly increases in the cost of all metals.

I Make Stuff for Me

Quote Originally Posted by Six of One View Post
    Scott,

Just posted in your Future Products Triples thread ...

I want my new Stites triples to be a truly plug-and-play part, so ...

I'm in for a steering stem in zinc-coated steel. All things considered, it seems to be the most viable option.
    Awesome we may get close enough!

LIST:

JDS
    Ca Pete
    BG Wells
    Bill 281
    Six Of One
    Deerslayer64d
    Last edited by Stites; 05-14-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Just call me Gordon

If you don't get to ten without me put me down for one to get y'all there

NOV 2017 BOTM

I Make Stuff for Me

Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer64d View Post
    If you don't get to ten without me put me down for one to get y'all there
    Thanks buddy!

I Make Stuff for Me

We need 4 more to get to ten fellas. If you buy a triple and a stem from me I would gladly press the stem in the lower prior to shipping as a way of saying thanks. It will save you a few bucks and a trip to a shop.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Stites View Post
    We need 4 more to get to ten fellas. If you buy a triple and a stem from me I would gladly press the stem in the lower prior to shipping as a way of saying thanks. It will save you a few bucks and a trip to a shop.
    Guys,

You couldn't ask for more than this ...

A superior product, a great price, and stellar service!

Anyone else?
    Marco

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Stites View Post
    This is a stellar deal Scott

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks Scott for getting the ball rolling on these steering Stems.

Right from the get-go I thought this was the best option for this project.. It makes perfect sense to receive something that is Plug & Pay and tested.. As you said Scott, because of the diameter of the OEM stem, its not wise to use a aluminium alternative and Stainless Steel also has its issues, compared to a good quality Steel Alloy material.

Well done Scott for doing this project and we're almost there..

J

The Busa Cop

Paging dennis aka h2o tech

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe