+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan

New Dirt bike, now I'm really sore

Well i picked up a KDX for my birthday last month, zero compression and a laundry list of problems but I got it running enough to take it to the woods and see if it was worth continuing to spend money on. I'm sore and the bikes intact. Other than needing new wheel bearings, and rear brake pads, and figuring out why it won't get on the pipe It's a good bike that got me out and back again. God I love that 2 stroke noise.

2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Re: New Dirt bike, now I'm really sore

Man, I really miss woods riding. When I lived in Nashville me and a few friends did it all the time. I especially like riding in the snow. The ol 1980 YZ250 wasn't real forgiving though.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

2009 Hooligan of the year

Dirt bikes are dangerous, evil....and addictive! I'm still limping from my last outing, and eager to get back on it.

Father Joe

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold4x4 View Post
    Well i picked up a KDX for my birthday last month, zero compression and a laundry list of problems but I got it running enough to take it to the woods and see if it was worth continuing to spend money on. I'm sore and the bikes intact. Other than needing new wheel bearings, and rear brake pads, and figuring out why it won't get on the pipe It's a good bike that got me out and back again. God I love that 2 stroke noise.

Uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................street riding boots??? Dddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddde. We need to talk.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Dirt bikes are dangerous, evil....and addictive! I'm still limping from my last outing, and eager to get back on it.
    It's sad I'm already trying to overbore this thing and get more power and i've had it out once, and i caught myself looking for a KX500 yesterday....
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................street riding boots??? Dddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddde. We need to talk.
    Nope oneil elements just picked them up on a cycle gear sale last week.

beermonger

That sure looks fun! Get some hand guards!
    OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

ZRXOA member #1964

2009 Hooligan of the year

....and i caught myself looking for a KX500 yesterday....

Ooooo. Now we're seriously talking evil!

BadAss Hooligan

That looks awesome. Been 30yrs since I rode a dirtbike. Pathetic I know.
    I ride a mtn bike on trails with more room than that.
    Signature deleted until pithy non-political one can be formulated.

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Just picked up a KDX recently as well. I am using it to treat my track bike addiction. It's a whole lot cheaper to ride!
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

my brakes are the only thing I drag

If it won't get on the pipe you may need to clean up the KIPS.
    Hanc Tuemur, Hac Nitimur

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi Vandal View Post
    If it won't get on the pipe you may need to clean up the KIPS.
    Kips was cleaned when the cylinder / piston were replaced. Pipe was stuck on the grill and turned into a flame thrower and the amount of black splooge coming out of the tail pipe was just ridiculous. Looks like I had a gasket failure in the carb causing a ridiculous float level and being way too rich. Lost the Affleck part of my silencer the other day somehow so got a new silencer on the way. The old one was a solid hard plug of carbon encrusted matting... Had to use a chisel. New tires this week and after the carb Rebuild and jetting and exhaust rebuild it should hopefully run much better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    Just picked up a KDX recently as well. I am using it to treat my track bike addiction. It's a whole lot cheaper to ride!
    Ya they are a hoot. I think I'll have this in be reliable and functional just not pretty for under a grand. Can't beat that at all

my brakes are the only thing I drag

Kips was cleaned when the cylinder / piston were replaced. Pipe was stuck on the grill and turned into a flame thrower and the amount of black splooge coming out of the tail pipe was just ridiculous. Looks like I had a gasket failure in the carb causing a ridiculous float level and being way too rich. Lost the Affleck part of my silencer the other day somehow so got a new silencer on the way. The old one was a solid hard plug of carbon encrusted matting... Had to use a chisel. New tires this week and after the carb Rebuild and jetting and exhaust rebuild it should hopefully run much better.

Silencers are overrated. Mine was 2" of muffler, 6" of spark arrestor. Only one of those is needed to go riding in the woods here.
    Hanc Tuemur, Hac Nitimur

BadAss Hooligan
    Well unfortunately I need the silencer to ride in the back yard to test jetting... Neighbors already complained last week when I was testing the cylinder and piston at 930 on a Friday night.

BadAss Hooligan
    Of course I managed to lose the baffle and in the process of trying to clean out the carbon buildup in the expansion chamber warped it so that it doesn't fit. Ugh so looks like the old beater kdx gets a brand new fmf exaust...

Hooligan

http://www.rb-designs.com His head & carb mods really wake up that bike. While it will never be a kx500 it will do much better than stock.

Hooligan

I just watched your video. Holy cow! it was running rich,as you figured out. Once you get the jetting sorted I think you'll be a lot happier with it. Kdx's are really fun woods bikes.

BadAss Hooligan

Did some more wrenching, my stupidity lead me to have to purchase both a new expansion pipe and silencer. Lost part of the silencer in the garage somehow and warped the expansion pipe trying to clean the carbon out. Tossed a led headlight up front just for kicks. And picked up new tires and tubes for the front and rear. Picked up a 3 rail old school trailer for 150 too

SUPER COMMANDO

I tried once to set the float level on my son's 125 two stroke . It still didn't run right too rich. I have a friend that's a good bike mechanic .His shop was in the same warehouse area . 15 minutes after he messed with it . It was screaming again . I asked him if I had the float level wrong . He said no but the trick is to arch the tang on the float . I never looked at the float , but it ran great after that .
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

BadAss Hooligan

She's come a long way. Now with usd's.

1980z1r

Congrats on new addition to family. I just got inducted into the MCMA - Marin County Motorcycle Association after being on waiting

list for nine years. It's a private motocross off-road club that has several moto tracks and 1300 acres of trails to ride on. Located in the

Marin -Novato Hills here in northern California. So I have been looking at bikes as well. All my friends have 350 KTMs but I was looking

at the 2017 KX250r from Kawi . A lot of neat stuff on it UNTIL I read about Honda's 2018 CRF250r. New dual cam motor, electric starter

three different maps to choose from on handlebars - KX250r has 3 maps also but you have to unplug and replace every time . Honda

went back to full spring forks in 2018 where KX250r still uses air assist in forks. Some like some don't . The most important thing is buy

the best safety gear and watch out for falling in poison oak.

Name:  2017kx250f1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  2018-honda-crf250r.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  224.2 KBhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7noy2cIxog0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxoUR1xb3I

BadAss Hooligan

Looks like you're riding as if you're on a 4 stroke...wring that bitch in second our gear it down for woods riding.

Hard to be on the power when you're bogging.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Rustytools View Post
    Looks like you're riding as if you're on a 4 stroke...wring that bitch in second our gear it down for woods riding.

Hard to be on the power when you're bogging.
    Ya I need to post some new video now that the jetting is spot on and I'm getting better with clutch zaps. Rode it hard yesterday and feeling the increased pace effects on the forearms and calves.

BadAss Hooligan

Let my boss and some coworkers talk me into riding off the dock at work. Might need stiffer springs or lose some eight to try again...

1980z1r

I think I might be changing mind. After work duty on trails Sunday morning , another MCMA member let me take his KTM 250xc 2 stroke

out on trails. He said a lot of members with 2 stroke put the heavier flywheels on to broaden the power band - which also tames bike .

Extremely light bike. Don't know yet. HHUUMMMM -2 stroke or 4 stroke

Name:  2017ktm250xc.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  192.5 KB

President of the ZRXOA

Go 2 stroke! Iím glad to see they are making a comeback in the dirt world. I donít think we will see it happen on the street unfortunately.

If/when I get into dirt riding itíll be on a 2 stroke for sure.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

looks like a lot of fun. Never did offroad before. I have MTN biked though.

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cundalini View Post
    looks like a lot of fun. Never did offroad before. I have MTN biked though.
    Just think all the fun of downhill without the struggle of pedaling. Well unless you keep dropping the bike then it really is hard work...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by 1980z1r View Post
    I think I might be changing mind. After work duty on trails Sunday morning , another MCMA member let me take his KTM 250xc 2 stroke

out on trails. He said a lot of members with 2 stroke put the heavier flywheels on to broaden the power band - which also tames bike .

Extremely light bike. Don't know yet. HHUUMMMM -2 stroke or 4 stroke

Attachment 267394
    Having owned both 2 and 4 stroke, I generally prefer the 2 stroke, but you (probably) wont go wrong with either. The main advantage to the 2 strokes are much cheaper rebuild costs. The power delivery is very different, but which bike feels better to you may depend more on how well the handling is suited/ set up relative to what you are riding.

Heavier flywheels don't broaden the power band. Since they add inertia to the rotating mass of the crank it may spin up slightly slower (taming the hit), but the main reason most guys add them is because the extra inertia makes them harder to stall. They tend to get added by woods riders tweaking MX bikes like the 250 SX for woods riding. In my experience they aren't necessary on a woods bike like a 250 XC.

You mentioned a KX250R, CRF250 and a 250XC. The KX and CRF are motocross bikes, which is great if you plan to stick to the tracks-If you plan to ride a lot of tight trails (maybe more common here than in Cali?) the KX/CRF isn't going to be a good choice (overheating, tall gearing, small tank, etc). The XC is a woods bike, but also pretty fair on the track too, so it might be a better all around choice.
    Red 02 ZRX
    1000 Ninja (Black Beauty)
    KTM 250 XC-W (Katie)
    CRF250X
    XR80
    JR50