+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan

Re: 2003 Suzuki Bandit smoking

Name:  2 cents worth.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  16.9 KB

The two bandits I've owned required FULL CHOKE to get the bike to start from a cold situation. I then slowly removed the choke after 10-15 seconds. There may be a need to have the choke partially engaged until the bike warms a bit.

Any added throttle will quickly cause the bandits to stall. As said before, use the throttle only after the bike has warmed a bit.
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

2009 Hooligan of the year

Quote Originally Posted by IGNATZ View Post
    Try cranking it for about 10 seconds with choke off and throttle wide open

I seriously doubt its flooded if all that's being done is what was just presented in that video. They're hardly giving it any gas at all with that very quick and light flick of the throttle.

But yes, if there is a gas smell that indicates its flooded that's usually the cure.

Licensed to Mod

Alright, so it started! Awesome, but now its puffing white smoke. It can run good for 30 seconds, and then will begin to cut in and out. It doesn't shut off, but it just stutters. Even after letting it heat up a little, I put it still with 3/4 clutch on and if i give it any throttle it cuts out completely. 1 problem the fix, the next begins. Just the carbs now??

Devils’ Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by MixsonMashin View Post
    Alright, so it started! Awesome, but now its puffing white smoke. It can run good for 30 seconds, and then will begin to cut in and out. It doesn't shut off, but it just stutters. Even after letting it heat up a little, I put it still with 3/4 clutch on and if i give it any throttle it cuts out completely. 1 problem the fix, the next begins. Just the carbs now??
    The crankcase might be full of fuel.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

beermonger

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Yeah,hopefully just some condensation but that's optimistic.
    OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

ZRXOA member #1964

Licensed to Mod

I just smelled inside, getting a hint of a gas smell. The levels haven't risen though on the little window on the side. I just put brand new oil in the other day.

Devils’ Advocate

I just smelled inside, getting a hint of a gas smell. The levels haven't risen though on the little window on the side. I just put brand new oil in the other day.
    If you smell it, it IS IN THERE!

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Color Monitor

How did you get it started?

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Licensed to Mod

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    How did you get it started?

TG
    I got it started with the bike hooked up to my car battery. It can now be started un hooked to the cars battery. Also, used full choke.k

Color Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by TGHW View Post
    You need a new battery.

TG
    I got it started with the bike hooked up to my car battery. It can now be started un hooked to the cars battery. Also, used full choke.k
    See above.

Your plugs are likely fouled now, after all that dinking around that you've been doing for several days, instead of taking the advice that you asked for.

TG
    TGHW
    ZRXOA #5590
    Welcome to Wisconsin....Come smell our Dairy air !!

Once the engine heats up you should be able to close the choke. Bikes usually don't throttle well with the choke 3/4 open. I'm guessing that is what you were experiencing here. Get it warmed up so that it idles or at least runs without the choke on, and reacts well to throttle input without the choke on. If you're not able to get it to do that, then yes, you likely have some gummed up carbs.

Sounds like you're trying to reserect a bike that has been sitting up for a while. Is that the case?

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Sounds like you're trying to reserect a bike that has been sitting up for a while. Is that the case?
    No this is actually the 2003 Bandit I bought for my little bro...heres the link I posted when I first picked it up http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...it-Info-needed....

The gas tank was nasty so we cleaned it out very thoroughly and had it up and running good enough to trust it push the 200+ mile trip from Orlando to Tallahassee. I told MM that he would need to clean the carbs due to pushing bad gas for who nows how long, I would try and help out with his current problems but I am 4 hours away, I just keep telling him to post on here.

BadAss Hooligan

Yes, if it is not clear from the previous few posts, put the choke on, leave it on, do not touch the throttle and try starting it. Once the bike fires, if it fires, let it run for a little bit and if/when the idle starts to creep up, start taking some of the choke off. Shouldn't need more than a minute or so of choke to get enough heat in the engine that you can modulate it with the throttle as you ride away.

No worries, in the world of fuel injection the art of starting a cold carb'd vehicle isn't always clear.
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1” risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40’s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by BonzRexster View Post
    Yes, if it is not clear from the previous few posts, put the choke on, leave it on, do not touch the throttle and try starting it. Once the bike fires, if it fires, let it run for a little bit and if/when the idle starts to creep up, start taking some of the choke off. Shouldn't need more than a minute or so of choke to get enough heat in the engine that you can modulate it with the throttle as you ride away.

No worries, in the world of fuel injection the art of starting a cold carb'd vehicle isn't always clear.
    ^^^ This ^^^ always worked for me on both of my Bandits.
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Licensed to Mod

Name:  IMG_0960.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  194.2 KBName:  IMG_0963.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  276.2 KBName:  IMG_0965.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  195.9 KBName:  IMG_0966.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  163.1 KBName:  IMG_0967.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  134.8 KBName:  IMG_0968.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  166.7 KB

These are pictures of all the fresh new spark plugs that have 0 street time on them. I put these in a few days ago. I dont know if it matters what order, but these are in numerical order, 1,2,3,4. Not sure if it makes a difference. Also got a pic where the #1 and #4 spark plug would go into

Devils’ Advocate

You NEED to properly torque your spark plugs.

NEW plugs get 1/2 turn after finger tight.

USED plug you need to use a torque wrench on, the spec is in the manual..

YOUR spark plug gaskets are not compressed at all...do it right.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Licensed to Mod

You NEED to properly torque your spark plugs.

NEW plugs get 1/2 turn after finger tight.

USED plug you need to use a torque wrench on, the spec is in the manual..

YOUR spark plug gaskets are not compressed at all...do it right.
    I read what they should properly be. this was my mess up. I tried to tighten it just as much as when i loosened them. I will get them to spec. Should these be replaced now?

I read what they should properly be. this was my mess up. I tried to tighten it just as much as when i loosened them. I will get them to spec. Should these be replaced now?
    Nah. Just hit 'em with some brake cleaner and a wire brush.

So based on what your brother posted I'm a little perplexed why you're having issues with the bike. Sounded like it ran fine, or at least good enough for him to ride it up to you. Why aren't you out putting miles on it? You've now figured out how to start it. Go ride the damn thing!

Hooligan

So based on what your brother posted I'm a little perplexed why you're having issues with the bike. Sounded like it ran fine, or at least good enough for him to ride it up to you. Why aren't you out putting miles on it? You've now figured out how to start it. Go ride the damn thing!
    Honestly, I think I passed on some bad info to MM regarding petcock positioning and choke.....I'm still learning here too people!!!!! So I sent him up and new plugs, petcock and some $$$ to get those carbs cleaned.

About the white smoke....is that just bad oil? I know he just gave an oil change on Wednesday, so could the white smoke just be from the old crap that just needs to be burned out? I am just a spectator now last thing I want is to keep giving out bad info especially to my lil bro cause he knows where I live and how much $ I make

Licensed to Mod

Nah. Just hit 'em with some brake cleaner and a wire brush.

I'd love to put miles on it. once i correctly torque these spark plugs after cleaning them im gonna start it and let it sit for a while. At idle w full choke and then slightly start pulling back. hopefully carbs will allow it too ride up too the shop to get cleaned.

The bike clearly has been sitting up. Previous owner may have well have put who knows what in the tank as a stabilizer.

The bike clearly runs since it was ridden 200 miles to get to its new home. Did it blow smoke that whole time? Or did it just blow white smoke when brought out of hibernation, then cleared up after a fresh tank of gas put in it?

Are we talking a lot of white smoke, or simply wiffs of smoke that could simply be moisture in the engine burning off?

Licensed to Mod

The bike clearly has been sitting up. Previous owner may have well have put who knows what in the tank as a stabilizer.

The bike clearly runs since it was ridden 200 miles to get to its new home. Did it blow smoke that whole time? Or did it just blow white smoke when brought out of hibernation, then cleared up after a fresh tank of gas put in it?

Are we talking a lot of white smoke, or simply wiffs of smoke that could simply be moisture in the engine burning off?
    It didn't smoke at all on the ride home. Its just smoking now. It's not really heavy white smoke. kinda wimpy white smoke. but it i personally don't think its just moisture. The bike would run for 30 seconds and still be smoking.

BadAss Hooligan

Here's some Bandit info that you can download. Good Luck

Bandit FAQ.pdf

Note: Let Me Know if the file works properly.

I'm having trouble attaching the file. I'll keep working on it.
    Last edited by Big Harry; 03-10-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Big Harry

George Carlin

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Here's some Bandit info that you can download. Good Luck

Attachment 254796
    ^ Invalid Attachment

BadAss Hooligan

Big Harry

George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by 407cruzer View Post
    ^ Invalid Attachment
    You evidently downloaded these Bandit help files according to this>>> http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?332883-2003-Bandit-Info-needed....&p=4681799&viewfull=1#post4681799

S
    end 'em to your brother.
    Big Harry

George Carlin

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    You evidently downloaded these Bandit help files according to this>>> http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthread.php?332883-2003-Bandit-Info-needed....&p=4681799&viewfull=1#post4681799

S
    end 'em to your brother.
    Yes sir, I got them. Will do, thanks!

It didn't smoke at all on the ride home. Its just smoking now. It's not really heavy white smoke. kinda wimpy white smoke. but it i personally don't think its just moisture. The bike would run for 30 seconds and still be smoking.

I would ride it and just keep an eye on oil usage.

Devils’ Advocate

I'd love to put miles on it. once i correctly torque these spark plugs after cleaning them im gonna start it and let it sit for a while. At idle w full choke and then slightly start pulling back. hopefully carbs will allow it too ride up too the shop to get cleaned.
    You won't be able to afford a dealer carb rebuild.

http://kwickstand.net/Hyper-Formance..._Cleaning.html

Non-ZRX carbs will cost a bit more and take a bit longer as I'll have to order Suzuki parts....

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Licensed to Mod

https://youtu.be/odmgwUank1E

This link is to very first start up. Re adjusted spark plugs to finger tight and 1/2 turn. It doesn't sound 100% as you can hear in vid and it eventually clonks out on its own.

https://youtu.be/ceqhGhKsyRU

Since it clonked out, i thought it might be the battery. So i hooked it up and tried it and now it doesn't want to start up at all. Just runs the starter.

I smelled oil again and gas smell seems to be more present in it.