+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan

Restoring my KDX200

Bought my 1999 KDX200 years ago and never did anything with it, so I finally decided I need to do some trail riding again.

I was just going to get it running and register it but looking it over decided I cannot leave it the way it is

and besides once I have stripped it all down and renew whatever needs doing at least I'll know it's right for a few years.

So yesterday I started to tear it down.

I also bought a heap of bits and pieces after I bought the bike and need to use them or sell them so I'm going to use them.

Also got a larger fuel tank and a 320mm wave front rotor

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Restoring my KDX200

nice I've been wanting one of those for a while, well technically the KDX250 but that's just me being fat.
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

Restoring my KDX200

Nice! I just picked up an '01 I tore the carb down and cleaned it up and immediately snapped the chain doing a wheelie through the subdivision and had to push it home. The new chain just came in along with front and rear sprockets. I just have to get out there and tinker with it.

👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    Nice! I just picked up an '01 I tore the carb down and cleaned it up and immediately snapped the chain doing a wheelie
    I'll be paying close attention to the chain and sprockets, I mean all the power of the mighty 200cc 2 stroke

Oh yeah mine will have BarkBusters too once it's finished

BadAss Hooligan

Didn't get time to do anything this morning, family duties, did a little bit this afternoon I think these need replacing.

Got to this stage, I have to take some off the front then some off the back etc otherwise it wanst to fall off the stand. I took the boat anchor (muffler) off and the bike fell forward, fortunately slowly and I was able to catch it. I think I'll have to clamp it to the stand.

The garage got too hot and that drove me back into the air conditioning

BadAss Hooligan

Getting there slowly the air box and shock were a bit of a bitch but finally got them out. The swingarm bolt won't come out left it soaking overnight with WD-40 hopefully it comes out tomorrow. It not seized I can rotate it
    Got onto a local bloke who will strip down the frame and swingarm for $100 I think I'll get him to do it instead of taking hours and making lots of dust if I do it.
    Latest photo

BadAss Hooligan

i had the same bike at one time. Loved ripping through the woods on it. then most of the guys i rode with stopped going for what ever reason. there were still a couple of guys but sadly they were the slowskis and i tired of waiting for them, so i sold the bike to my nephew for next to nothing. I miss trail riding.

BadAss Hooligan

I love trail riding and I love 2 strokes, I had a KLX250 but they are too heavy and I prefer the power delivery of the KDX.

BadAss Hooligan

Did a bit more today got all the wiring off not much left. The nylon chain guide fell apart when I took it off Kawasaki wants almost $60 for just the 1. I'm looking at a Moose Racing replacement.
    I am having trouble with the swingarm and triples and the reed valve is stuck pretty well. Ducked out and bought a plastic mallet to try to free the reeds.

BadAss Hooligan

Well it's stripped completely except for the headstem ball races and the bellcrank which like the swingarm bolt is being stubborn, unlike the swingarm bolt I can't get anything in there to hit it with. Hopefully soaking overnight in WD-40 helps.

Any suggestions welcome

BadAss Hooligan

Finally got everything off the bolt finally came out with a few good belts with a chisel I bought to get the headstem bearings out.

BadAss Hooligan

Photos from the blaster (I also got him to paint it). Used Valspar TB540 supposed to be the ducks guts. It's an industrial paint that should last a long time it's supposed to be super tough stuff. Hope so it's bloody dear enough

Super Moderator
    Hooligan Paramedic &
    Master Biscuit Maker

This thread is making me feel lazy. I took apart the carb on mine and cleaned it, drained the fuel and put fresh stuff in, and have just been riding it
    Make a fast friend. Adopt a retired racing Greyhound

www.greyhoundpets.org
    Or PM me for details

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Tacmedic View Post
    This thread is making me feel lazy. I took apart the carb on mine and cleaned it, drained the fuel and put fresh stuff in, and have just been riding it
    At least you are getting to ride it, I'm spending money and not riding. I think you are the smart one

BadAss Hooligan

Frame looks really good... it will be worth it in the end

Always fun to a rough one and make it look like new!

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

Got the frame etc back from the Blasting and painting today I think he did a good job.

The swingarm and stand are only done with primer ready for me to paint.

Wildcat Hooligan

Any pics of the finished bike? Looks good so far.
    Godspeed Brian, I hope you get that Mitsubishi flyin' in heaven bro. I will always miss you.

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks for the interest, I sorta came to a halt because of money but I will be getting back into it soon. Stay tuned.

Hooligan

Got me thinking about pulling mine out . Havent started it in like 5 years

BANNED

looking great. keep up the nice work

Hooligan

Would have liked to see the finished product?
    Last edited by slooopoke; 05-18-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    ZRXOA #8858