+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BadAss Hooligan

First dirt bike?

Well after riding dirt a few more times with my buddy the dirt bug is biting hard. I've been riding his TTR225 and while that thing is bullet proof the engine doesn't have enough to haul my 260 lbs around. Also the last time we were out I kept riding up on his back tire and realizing that the suspension on that bike is WOEFULLY inadequate for my heft.

So here are my priorities what do you all suggest?

1. Price (gotta be cheap to get it past the wifey.) I'd prefer sub 2k price.
    2. Power ( i mean this is the ZRX board and i'm a big guy, Wheelies at will would be nice)
    3. reliability / sturdiness ( I've got a tendancy to try things i probably shouldn't and on the dirt that means a bike that won't taco on me if i get a little over zelous and try to copy moves from crusty demons of dirt....
    4. I'd like a 2 stroke but that's mainly for nostalgia.
    5. a suspension that doesn't require anything more than being resprung for my weight to start with.

Part of me says a KDX 200 / 220 and I've heard good things. Also have a buddy with a 07 KTM 200xcw for around 2k if that's a good deal. So what say you the ZRXOA
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

2009 Hooligan of the year

Re: First dirt bike?

At 260 lbs you should be looking for double that displacement.

Also, electric start is a big plus too.

beermonger

OBJECTS IN MIRROR
    NO LONGER MATTER

ZRXOA member #1964

BadAss Hooligan

Look for a Honda XL600/650. Plenty of power to pull you wherever you desire, bullet proof engine, and will definitely wheelie at will. Mono shock rear suspension that can be resprung plenty of ground clearance

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    At 260 lbs you should be looking for double that displacement.

Also, electric start is a big plus too.
    a 200ish 2 stroke is equivilant to a 400 4 stroke or there abouts right? or are you saying I need a ZRX motor in a dirt bike chassis?

Wouldn't a XL600/650 be a bit large and heavy for trail riding and hill climbing?
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold4x4 View Post
    a 200ish 2 stroke is equivilant to a 400 4 stroke or there abouts right? or are you saying I need a ZRX motor in a dirt bike chassis?

Wouldn't a XL600/650 be a bit large and heavy for trail riding and hill climbing?

A 200 two stroke doesn't put out the grunt that 400+ cc 4 stroker does. You're going to want something with some torque. Unless you're into burning up clutches.

Yes, the XL600/650 is a big heavy bike.

See if you can find and test ride a DRZ400E (electric start). Awesome all around bike. Plenty of power. Plenty of parts available. Throw in some heavier springs and you're good to go.

Or if you're really after serious stomping power in a trail bike, WR450 or KLX450.

BANNED

I have a 2001 Honda CR250. Never had the motor apart, it hauls ass! They are cheap to buy and cheaper to repair than a four stroker. Also have a CR500R, more grunt on the low end than the 250 but it tends to take you to the next corner way too soon! Had an Honda XL650L way too heavy!

I wouldn't put a beginner (learner) on any 250 two stroker. They're a lot of bike when they get on the pipe.

BadAss Hooligan

I wouldn't put a beginner (learner) on any 250 two stroker. They're a lot of bike when they get on the pipe.
    I guess I should say that I rode dirt as a kid rode a cusins 125cc 2 stroke when i was 13 or so one summer, wasn't too bad then. There is something I do love about when those things get on the pipe though.

I'd be riding with a group of guys who's dirt bikes are a KTM 690, and a TTR 250 that's been bored out supposedly with ryan young suspension stuff. As it is now after riding 4 or 5 times I'm already able to push the TTR 225 faster than the owner can push his TTR250. Which is one reason I'd rather have my own than continue riding his as now I feel like I'd love to start passing him and lead however I don't want to abuse his bike that he lets me ride like that.

Are you guys riding motocross tracks, or mostly trail riding? With the TTRs, I'm thinking mostly trails.

I used to ride a KX250 as a woods bike. Geared down a little it worked great.

BadAss Hooligan

Buy yourself an older ('99 or newer) KTM200EXC or for newer models just XC. Not as peaky as a 125, but at 200lbs extremely light weight, and the 200 mill has some bottom end. Believe me, there is plenty of power for a bigger rider, and the suspension is superb, you may just have to spring it for your weight,
    valving is good out of the box. I had a '99, and won my class championship (hare scrambles) in 2001. I bought a brand new '03 in '03, and was mostly faster
    on my '99 (it had LESS power, so better for me) even though the '03's had yet better suspension. Been my experience that light weight and decent suspension
    trumps outright power in the woods. I had a guy that was racing a Honda CR250 2 stroke, who took a ride on my 200, and went out and bought 1 soon after. Just the "right" amount of power (by NO means slow) and I could pick it up and sling it around if need be. It's 5 times the bike of a TTR. BTW, The 200 KTM is
    a 2 stroke.
    "Nothing is good or bad, thought makes it so"
    William Shakespeare

1970 Moto Guzzi 750 Ambassator "Way back machine"
    2001 ZRX1200R "Green Meanie"
    1999 Honda VFR Interceptor "Red menace"

The newer KTM300 can climb mountains!

Name:  ktm-300-xc-w-6_600x0w.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  67.1 KB

BadAss Hooligan

Are you guys riding motocross tracks, or mostly trail riding? With the TTRs, I'm thinking mostly trails.

trail riding for the most part single track. But wouldn't mind getting into some harescrambles along the way. and maybe a few MX laps at some of the parks before putting it on the trailer to go home.

BadAss Hooligan

Does a '73 Honda Mini Trail count ?

If not then I know my next bike the next year does , '74 Honda XR75 .

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.Triker View Post
    Does a '73 Honda Mini Trail count ?

If not then I know my next bike the next year does , '74 Honda XR75 .
    nah I've already got the smaller dirt stuff covered. I think I'm in need of some help though, just rode this thing rather than the zrx so i could take the woods route to the BBQ joint to bring dinner home...

John, you sure don't look to be 260 lbs to me if that's you in that video!

BadAss Hooligan

John, you sure don't look to be 260 lbs to me if that's you in that video!
    There's a decent amount of muscle under the fat. And actually when i did those videos i think i was about 275ish. . .

BadAss Hooligan
    Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Yamaha YZF450F. Enough to get a manly man moving uphill without the open class 2 stroke hit at the wrong time. They're supposed to be very tractable.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver
    1995 Suzuki RF900R

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic
    Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

BadAss Hooligan

You can't have it all:
    I've got a modified KDX with a flywheel weight. I weigh 175; you are too big for this bike.
    I love KTM EX series but I still think you need more torque than you can get at 250 CC or less; think they used to have a 320cc?; whatever it was it would work great
    Maybe too pricey?

You want the big XL or maybe the DR400
    I think the big yamaha 400/426 are great bikes and really dangerous if your skills are not sharp just because it has so much power.
    Seen some good riders get tossed in the air like rag dolls.

I don't think you can find decent, lightweight and under $2K for your needs.
    The KDX and EC are great woods bikes; they are not competitive on an MX track but a hoot to do some laps with

Licensed to Mod

I recommend a WR450F, CRF450X, or KLX450R. Its going to be tough to find one in your budget but not impossible. These are tamed down versions of the mx bikes with soft suspension and electric start. They, especially the WR, are generally pretty bullet proof and have the power you are looking for (and need). The WR426F would also be pretty good and you are much more likely to find one sub $2k.

The 250 2 stroke mx bikes are not great off-road. They can be made to work but that is more $$. In the 90s, Suzuki and Yamaha had off-road versions of their mx bikes: YZ250WR and RMX250. If you could find a nice one, either one would be good.

The KDX220R is a great bike but it might be too small.

Good luck

I would avoid the WR426. They're a sumbitch to start when hot.

BadAss Hooligan

I would avoid the WR426. They're a sumbitch to start when hot.
    Agreed, not a bike to hunt after a but a WR450 is not a bad bike at all fairly tame power hit lots of torque and the older steel framed versions can be had fairly reasonably as everyone wants the newer aluminum framed versions
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2014 KTM 250XC
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

SUPER COMMANDO

Big Man = Big Bore Bike . In your price range you should be looking for a older big three four stroke . Coming in weighing like a heavy weight contender you should be strong enough to handle the weight of one the bigger bikes .
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

BadAss Hooligan
    Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

I could handle my friends 83 CR480 better than my YZ250. Great bike. Gobs of power but easy to ride.
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver
    1995 Suzuki RF900R

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic
    Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

Hooligan

Depends what kind of trail riding you want to do. Tight single track? Definitely go for a 250 or 300 2stroke. I've got a 2014 ktm 250xcw and I absolutely love it. Very peppy and powerfull and controlable. The 300 has a bunch of low end torque, almost like a tractor. You can slap er in 3 gear and put around all day without stalling. If you are doing more dirt roads/logging roads/camping trips, a big bore 4stroke is what you need. I had a 2005 ktm 450exc and it was great. The rfs motor from that generation is the best motor KTM ever produced. I had 250 hours on the original motor. Sold it 3 years ago and it's still going strong on the stock motor. DRZ 400 are bullet proof, but they weigh as much as a tank. Not to mention how underpowered they are... but they are great machines. If you are new to the dirt bike game, I would avoid any motocross bike. Not great for the woods unless you are used to riding or unless you dump a little bit of money into it to make it trail worthy. Yamaha WR's are great, too. Had a 2004 WR250 when I was 14 and it ran great. A lot of good bikes out there, just depends what you want to do.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by No prescription needed View Post
    Big Man = Big Bore Bike . In your price range you should be looking for a older big three four stroke . Coming in weighing like a heavy weight contender you should be strong enough to handle the weight of one the bigger bikes .
    This

While I personally think a small bore 2-stroke is the best single track / woods bike I weigh 175 lbs.
    Not so sure that some posters have really considered the amount of torque necessary for a man that weighs an extra 85 lbs.
    Not often where the rider weighs more than the bike in the case of the 2-strokes.

To the OP: Perhaps the best way to determine the best course of action is to take a bike for a short ride.
    Have any pals that will let you try a bike?
    I would think, it will take less than 15 minutes for you to have a good idea if you're better with a 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngbuck View Post
    DRZ 400 are bullet proof, but they weigh as much as a tank.
    I wouldn't say a tank. Maybe a light armored vehicle.

Took 13 years for me to finally give up my KLX400, after many, many, many hard miles of off road abuse. It was a great bike!

BadAss Hooligan

BadAss Hooligan

If a CRF 450 is a good first dirt bike, then we may as well try and kill the guy.
    This would be even better:

http://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/5911747601.html