Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    2009 Hooligan of the year

Re: First dirt bike?

Even better yet, a CR500 Elsinore!

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C View Post
    This

While I personally think a small bore 2-stroke is the best single track / woods bike I weigh 175 lbs.
    Not so sure that some posters have really considered the amount of torque necessary for a man that weighs an extra 85 lbs.
    Not often where the rider weighs more than the bike in the case of the 2-strokes.

To the OP: Perhaps the best way to determine the best course of action is to take a bike for a short ride.
    Have any pals that will let you try a bike?
    I would think, it will take less than 15 minutes for you to have a good idea if you're better with a 2-stroke or 4-stroke.
    You're not wrong here, but I have a few buddies that are in the 220 to 240 range riding 300 2 strokes and they are FLYING down the trail

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Even better yet, a CR500 Elsinore!
    Now we're talking boys
    My dream to rip on of these for a day

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C View Post
    If a CRF 450 is a good first dirt bike, then we may as well try and kill the guy.
    This would be even better:

http://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/5911747601.html
    He looks hard to kill.

BadAss Hooligan

That TM400 was one of the worst and most dangerous dirt bikes ever built.
    The power delivery is a light switch, the handling and brakes were horrible.
    Even dessert racers said the power hit was too much.

Must admit, I have not ridden any KTM bigger than 250 cc so they might be good but not buyable at $2K in decent shape IMO.
    The KLR might be a good bike.
    Not real fast, a bit heavy, but very reliable and smooth power.
    You can even convert (or order) them to run on diesel like the US military did.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by No prescription needed View Post
    Big Man = Big Bore Bike . In your price range you should be looking for a older big three four stroke . Coming in weighing like a heavy weight contender you should be strong enough to handle the weight of one the bigger bikes .
    John.... NPN is spot on Although 250's have good power and are lighter in weight but I feel you will be happier long term with a 400cc plus bike.

You've have had lots of good advice thrown are you here but if fell if you bought a 250 in short time you will out grow it so for long term I think you'd better off going with more power and torque from the get go.

You're an experienced rider for the most part yes maybe woods riding might be somewhat new but you'll catch on real quick if you haven't all ready so don't sell yourself short and buy to small cc bike thinking you can handle it better because of your lack of experience.

My 2 cents worth... Good Luck my friend and let me know if I can help!!

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

been thinking here lately with my new job of stepping up to a bigger KTM maybe the 300 2 stroke or the 380? would love to swing one of the electric start tagged 2 stroke ktms but looks like those are way on the expensive side.
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

BadAss Hooligan

YZ80H.

2009 Hooligan of the year

XR75 was my first.

I rode with a kid that was a "professional racer" (in 7th grade) who rode a YZ80. He was an awesome rider. We had laid out a course that had a jump that immediately went into a banked turn upon landing. I remember being so amazed how he would land with his leg out, already in position for the turn. That little YZ80 was a badass bike.

BadAss Hooligan

I'm the fool on the pit bike...

this is why i need a larger bike
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

Father Joe

That poor poor poor (did I say "poor?") pit bike.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    That poor poor poor (did I say "poor?") pit bike.
    it outlasted the TTR225 which had to be rigged to limp back to the truck due to a front axle failure. (all this being said the poor pit bike is in the garage with a flat front tire....)

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold4x4 View Post
    been thinking here lately with my new job of stepping up to a bigger KTM maybe the 300 2 stroke or the 380? would love to swing one of the electric start tagged 2 stroke ktms but looks like those are way on the expensive side.
    What new job??? New job at your old job... or a total New Job??

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan
    Total new job. Doing laminate closet installation. Should be a nice 50 percent bump in pay. That and I have vacation time now....

BadAss Hooligan

Man that's great so glad to hear... CONGRATS

Never anything wrong with more money and more time off... great news

Take care & be safe!

Wayne

Hooligan

Don't let the Ktm 2 stroke electric starter be a buying point. All it will do is disappoint you! They didn't get it right till this model year. My starter worked about six months then has never worked since. I rebuilt it and tried various things and just finally pulled it off because really you could sneeze on the kick starter and it'll fire up. The 300's kick really easy.

Hooligan

Absolutely a 450, and springs for your weight is a must for safety and comfort.

Most 450's have a aftermarket kit for trails/road conversions, and most makes have a dual purpose model.

Also there are a lot of 450's on craigslist that can be had for cheap.

I'm 260 and ride motocross. Anything less than 450 will be like riding a briggs and Stratton mini bike after you get some seat time....

Name:  2 Green Bikes.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  2.03 MBName:  2 Green Bikes.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  2.03 MB

BadAss Hooligan

well picked up a WELL used and ABUSED KDX 200 of an yet to be determined vintage for the tidy sum of 300 bucks, so guess I'll have to post a thread where I bring another of Maw Kaw's children back to life only to be used and beat on and brought back again until i die or go broke doing so.

Thread Hijacker
    Fun City so Cal. on the West Coast of our U. S. of A.

Re: First dirt bike ? Last year they had " The Beer Drinkers Class "

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post

At 260 lbs you should be looking for double that displacement .

Also, electric start is a big plus too.
    Name:  85e27c08-61f4-40e7-80e8-25a9ca07494d.png
Views: 172
Size:  322.0 KB

Name:  2017-fb-bannerv2_orig.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  108.3 KB

BadAss Hooligan

If you can find an XR400 within your budget it would serve you well. Bulletproof.

I rode a modded '01 YZ250F for years and loved it. Plenty of power and lighter weight. A bitch to hot start though.

If I wanted a trail rider I'd opt for an XC350 today. Great engine & suspension and a go button

CarlM

No DR350's?

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

Hooligan

That KDX will serve you well. It looks to need a significant amount of TLC but I will argue that the KDX is the best dirt bike ever made. There are definately more capable bikes, but the KDX is the most reliable, cost effective way to have fun in the dirt for guys of almost any skill level.
    Brian
    2002 ZRX1200R

Triumph Speed Triple
    KTM 250SX
    KTM 530XCW
    Kawasaki KDX200
    Honda ATC200 Big Red