+ Reply to Thread
    SUPER COMMANDO

Fork Preload Spacers

How stupid is this ? I've been checking out other forums for my dual sport . This guy has done this . I'm thinking what the hell is he thinking or anyone else trying to do this . There is so much crap on the internet . Would any of you do this with PVC much less ! All I can see are little pieces of PVC messing up the valving down the road . Or worse ! "I just finished replacing the seals and putting new fluid in and I decided to add a bit of preload to the fork springs. I did a quick search online and found a reference to someone putting 1 1/2" of pvc spacers in each leg. I made two 1 1/4" spacers and installed them in addition to the factory spacers."
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

Been down that road more than twice...

Re: Fork Preload Spacers

SUPER COMMANDO

Quote Originally Posted by btl68 View Post
    I guess what I'm shocked about is the material that it"s made from plastic . And won't it also remove some travel out of the front suspension ?
    [Wiseco 1109 kit 12:1/6 speed trans/CNC ported head/Muzzy X3 cams/Tsugiki pipe/Ladybird can/ZX11 ignition/ELS+2 ignition rotor/CVK 40 carbs/BEAR Racing Velocity Stacks/stock CVK36 springs/192 keihin mains/FP K87 TI needles/3rd clip/42 pilots/pilot screws 3 turns out/float level 14mm/K&N pod air filters/Billet Thug Fork Yokes/ZX10 front end/ZX10 wheels/1200 swing arm/Ohlins HO 417 rear shocks/Greg Couch 2 piece sprocket cover/ZX9 gauges/Speedhut GPS Gauge 180mph/ThrottleMasters ]

2009 Hooligan of the year

Schedule 40 PVC is extremely durable and works great for that application. You do have to clean the ends up though to remove the fuzz and small fragments left over from cutting. You can't just throw it in the fork unfinished.

The spacer sets preload and generally does not reduce travel, unless your suspension is seriously under sprung. If you're having to install spacers that are so long that the springs bind before full travel, you most definitely need stiffer springs.

2009 Hooligan of the year

In fact, the OEM spacers in the 1100 forks are plastic.

BadAss Hooligan

Shhh
    Donít let my bike know.
    The schedule 40 PVC plumbing pipe has been used as spacers in one of my bikes for about 10 years.
    The material is in compression and not in shear making it plenty strong for fork spring spacers.

SUPER COMMANDO

I learned something here today . I don't trust many especially internet acquaintances . But hearing it from here I can believe it .

BadAss Hooligan

PVC spacers is a decades old concept.
    ZRXOA#939

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Tzed250 View Post
    PVC spacers is a decades old concept.
    Yup, I used it in the 70's setting up race bikes.

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

BadAss Hooligan

CarlM

The race Tech set up in my daughters SV was PVC. Dave Moss said it needed more at a track day. We went to H.D. and he later helpep measure and we cut in his vice. I put it in my kid's RZ many years ago

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

CarlM

Quote Originally Posted by No prescription needed View Post
    How stupid is this ? I've been checking out other forums for my dual sport . This guy has done this . I'm thinking what the hell is he thinking or anyone else trying to do this . There is so much crap on the internet . Would any of you do this with PVC much less ! All I can see are little pieces of PVC messing up the valving down the road . Or worse ! "I just finished replacing the seals and putting new fluid in and I decided to add a bit of preload to the fork springs. I did a quick search online and found a reference to someone putting 1 1/2" of pvc spacers in each leg. I made two 1 1/4" spacers and installed them in addition to the factory spacers."
    What kinda dual sport?

You can't go faster when you are in plaster
    Mongo like candy

President of the ZRXOA

Fork Preload Spacers

I used PVC spacers in my FZR600 forks for years with no problems.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

My Sonic Springs came with PVC to cut to length. Been using it before that for years.

NPN, where you been all these years?
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1Ē risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40ís@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

SUPER COMMANDO

Raised a family for 20+ years . My last real bike before the ZRX was a 70's Z1 . My Z1 was stolen and I ended up getting Married then divorced thrice . I had a beater Suzuki 550 that was a nascar special . The forks were bent bad it would turn one way real quick and very slow the other . I think I paid $150 for it . I had 650 seca for a couple of years . I didn't get the ZRX until 2005 . I road it down the street and it was flash back to my youth .