+ Reply to Thread
    I thought that earlier, but figgered I'd keep my mouth shut...

Low battery backfire.

Yesterday evening going to work at 80 degrees on a cold start it cranked a little longer than usual and let out a decent backfire through the exhaust then started right up, stopped a mile away at a C store and it started normally.

6 am cold start after work at 48 degrees it cranked a few times without starting and sounded like it was turning over a bit slow and the battery was too low to fire the igniter just as I was thinking I needed to jumpstart it there was a loud backfire that sounded like a .30-06 going off, one more crank and it started and ran rough for a couple minutes then smoothed out. Got home and backfired again testing it.

I put the Shoria charger on it and this afternoon when the battery showed fully charged it started right off normally. I work a mile from home so it didn't have a chance to charge. It's sat for a couple months without the float charge and I have a Daytona water temp gauge/digital clock on it for a small parasitic drain so that's what drained the battery.

I'd have never thought that a low battery would cause it to backfire.
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

'99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO

"The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more 'n a few."... Grandpa Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
    Look at all the invites! darn, if only I had an engine on my broom!

Quote Originally Posted by youngzrxer View Post
    ....For gods sake I am such a pussy
    "This is a dangerous world, and this cat isnít remotely qualified to handle it. This guy has no clue, I promise you." G. W. Bush on Obama

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

avtech3d

Re: Low battery backfire.

Makes sense. The reason if cranks with a low battery but doesn't start is because the spark isn't hot enough, but there still could be a "spark"...

BOOM!!!
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

In hindsight it does make sense, fill the cylinders with plenty of gas then BOOM!!!

Scared the hell out of everyone at work.
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

'99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO

"The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more 'n a few."... Grandpa Simpson

"This is a dangerous world, and this cat isnít remotely qualified to handle it. This guy has no clue, I promise you." G. W. Bush on Obama

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

avtech3d

I can picture everyone around jumping out of their shoes.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

Born In The USA

The coils charge up with the key on, and discharge when the power is taken away. That is the way the igniter works, by removing the ground to each coil in turn, when the advancer rotates to a position that alters the field at the pickup coil.
    The primary windings charge up, and when the energy to them is taken away, that charge collapses into the secondary windings and goes looking for somewhere to discharge to, and across the plug is the path of least resistance. If there is a combustible mixture present when the exhaust valve is open, it lights the whole thing.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

avtech3d

I challenge anyone to explain it better than that.
    Member #9225
    99 ZRX1100

Tanner's Photo Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    The coils charge up with the key on, and discharge when the power is taken away. That is the way the igniter works, by removing the ground to each coil in turn, when the advancer rotates to a position that alters the field at the pickup coil.
    The primary windings charge up, and when the energy to them is taken away, that charge collapses into the secondary windings and goes looking for somewhere to discharge to, and across the plug is the path of least resistance. If there is a combustible mixture present when the exhaust valve is open, it lights the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by avtech2 View Post
    I challenge anyone to explain it better than that.
    Bill is a pretty smart guy......................You might want to set the bar a bit lower for us mere mortals.
    ZRXOA #2754

I cut it twice and it's still too short!!

Originally Posted by philobeddoe
    ..........wanna know the law? ask a criminal, not a cop.........

Born In The USA

Ah shucks. That was the short answer. A real in depth answer to many questions doesn't seem to be desired, and it takes a while to think them through and write up. I'm supposed to be working right now.
    I'm not that bright these days, but after working on engines since the 60s, some data has sunk in.

I hope you are feeling better now, Mike.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Igniter control's the ground to the coils not the pos. voltage that's how a points system and the Dyna 2000
    box I run works.
    Ground the coil and it charges then when ground is removed the coil discharges I've never seen an ign.
    system turn the pos. voltage on and off but then I've only been working on cars since the late 70's so
    maybe it was diff. before then.

President Emeritus

This happened to me today, I was in the parking garage right in front of the elevators. There were two black guys waiting for the elevator when the backfire hit, one almost had a heart attack, the other almost died laughing at his poor buddy. It was loud in the garage and scared the heck out of me and I was guessing it might be coming.

New battery ordered when I got home.

BadAss Hooligan

This would happen to me while using the small Shorai battery. I now have the 240CCA Deltran battery and haven't had any issues. Those batteries have been great on all of my bikes.
    73' RD350
    02' ZRX 1200
    10' Multistrada 1200S Touring
    74' Honda CL450
    03' Shadow ACE 750 - Gone

ZRXOA# 8869

Devilsí Advocate

Install a volt meter.
    Turn on key.
    Wait until 12.5 volts comes up.
    Hit starter...when voltage drops below 10 volts stop and wait for it to come back up to 12.5 volts.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

Cranking when voltage is below 10 will do nothing but what yu have: backfires.
    If the bike stutters, that turns on the headlight...turn key off/on to reset the relay and turn the headlight off.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...hium-Batteries

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

PayPal to: Pete@Hyper-Formance.com
    Or: www.PayPal.me/KWICK
    Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by zuki dave View Post
    Igniter control's the ground to the coils not the pos. voltage that's how a points system and the Dyna 2000
    box I run works.
    Ground the coil and it charges then when ground is removed the coil discharges I've never seen an ign.
    system turn the pos. voltage on and off but then I've only been working on cars since the late 70's so
    maybe it was diff. before then.
    I agree with you. See second sentence. However, the coil doesn't care which is taken away, so cycling the key will get a spark. That was a test for bad ignition modules, crank and no spark until you let up on the key, then you get one spark.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Install a volt meter.
    Turn on key.
    Wait until 12.5 volts comes up.
    Hit starter...when voltage drops below 10 volts stop and wait for it to come back up to 12.5 volts.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

Cranking when voltage is below 10 will do nothing but what yu have: backfires.
    If the bike stutters, that turns on the headlight...turn key off/on to reset the relay and turn the headlight off.

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...hium-Batteries
    Where did you get the meter? Or do you conveniently sell one?
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

'99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Devilsí Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by triscadek View Post
    Where did you get the meter? Or do you conveniently sell one?
    In stock, $12 plus shipping.
    Waterproof.

Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  557.2 KB

ooooooooooooo

WARNING: ELS Products MAY CONTAIN, or be Made With, Patented Parts, Tools, Components and/or Apparati. Manufacturing Facility DOES Contain Nuts.

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

Let me see what else you have that I need.
    Paul
    ZRXOA #4325

'99 ZRX 1100
    '87 944S
    '00 ES 300
    '05 FXHO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Devilsí Advocate

Let me see what else you have that I need.

Anyway, order by early am. I'm leaving for Kernville Thursday and need to pack. Anything after about 11am will be shipped Monday-ish.

ooooooooooooo

Pete Aronson
    315 West Elliot Road
    Suites 107-487
    Tempe, AZ 85284
    602-397-4869.

President Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    In stock, $12 plus shipping.
    Waterproof.

Attachment 246154

You'll make millions off of us, just like the $1.00 o-rings.

2009 Hooligan of the year

In hindsight it does make sense, fill the cylinders with plenty of gas then BOOM!!!

Scared the hell out of everyone at work.

I had that happen in our parking garage once. Holy crap!

BadAss Hooligan

And to make matters worse, it's a wasted spark system
    Davey

Born In The USA

A low battery is not necessarily a bad battery. Bike charging systems don't work the same, or as well as the ones in cars. The engine has to be revved up a bit before it will work.
    The battery stores power and the bike makes demands on it all the time. Going down the road at cruise speed, the charging system can keep up with those demands and, over time, replenish the power used to run the starter.
    When you sit at a traffic light, the power demand is from the tail light, stop light, head light, and ignition system, as well as from any extra stuff you have added, like heated grips. At this time, the charging system is not working and all that power is being drained from the battery. Once you get going again, it has a chance to charge it back up if the revs are high enough.
    So...if you make a series of short trips, where you sit at a lot of traffic lights, it is possible that your battery will not be recharged enough to keep up with what it lost when you started it and sitting in traffic.
    If this is the way your bike gets used, a Battery Tender would be a good idea to top it off between rides.
    I have had to add water to the 550 battery after extended use at freeway cruise (about every 6 months) due to the consistent elevated voltage it gets at that time. The battery has not gone bad, it just wants a little drink. A new regulator on the Fyfiddy has not altered its drinking problem. Its just the nature of that little beast as it spins its way down the freeway.
    It took a couple of years before the Rex got thirsty and I ran the standard battery.

If you have one of those new fangled gadget batteries, the drains and charging system issues are the same, but it won't use water.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

The Innocent Guy

My little schnauzer dog was in the gayrage with me when the carbs flooded and went boom out the pipe. She left a present on the floor when she yelped and taked off running. The Pekinese just looked at me like can you keep it quiet back there. He has been around the gayrage a lot longer than the other dog.
    Founder and President of the St. Louis Turbo Toasters Club

RIGHT TO WORK IS A RIPOFF

This story could be stretched a little bit

2015 FJR1300
    2008 ZX14 (super dark metalic blue)
    2001 ZRX1200
    2015 Vulcan-S 650 [hers]

BadAss Hooligan

Low battery backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    I have a 83 Suzuki GS1100E with a dyna S ignition and it is good for that.
    Shut off the bike then turn ignition on then back off POW!
    Had people hitting the ground or running for cover in a park after setting it off.

The Innocent Guy

Quote Originally Posted by focus frenzy View Post
    I have a 83 Suzuki GS1100E with a dyna S ignition and it is good for that.
    Shut off the bike then turn ignition on then back off POW!
    Had people hitting the ground or running for cover in a park after setting it off.

Same thing with the old KZ1000.
    Founder and President of the St. Louis Turbo Toasters Club

RIGHT TO WORK IS A RIPOFF

This story could be stretched a little bit

2015 FJR1300
    2008 ZX14 (super dark metalic blue)
    2001 ZRX1200
    2015 Vulcan-S 650 [hers]

BadAss Hooligan

Fun fun !
    Camping and then packing up early one cool morning in Arkansas, I had the same thing happen. Woke the entire campground up at about 4:30 am.
    WGARA........ (Thanks G).....
    Ytrap.......
    ZRXOA # 3545

2001 BLACK ZRX !!!!
    2000 BMW k1200LT

Faster black one! All other are green with envy.