+ Reply to Thread
    BadAss Hooligan
    Melbourne, Florida....On the corner of "walk" and "Dont Walk"

Honda's Africa Twin

Got to throw my leg over one of these yesterday. Kinda cool to get on something different with ground clearance and the possibilities of off road riding. Anyone got one, or have input on this thing?

Ignore the Kia in the background.

Name:  20160915_152029.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  3.34 MB
    ZRXOA #9877
    "IT'S NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL..... IT'S THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW"
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Past Kawi's: 76 KZ900, 78 KZ1000, 80 Z1 Classic

Off Brands: 74 Honda XR75, 80 Yamaha YZ250, 84 Honda 1100 Magna,
    95 Suzuki RF900R, 88 Suzuki Katana 1100
    Wish List: 74 Yamaha DT400

Hooligan

Re: Honda's Africa Twin

Motorcyclist Mag voted it best adventurer of the year!!

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post
    Got to throw my leg over one of these yesterday. Kinda cool to get on something different with ground clearance and the possibilities of off road riding. Anyone got one, or have input on this thing?

Attachment 245541
    Dont know much other than riding one.Loved it,im getting one next april when my daughter graduates from U.T. in Austin. Cant wait its a awesome dual sport.

BadAss Hooligan

Thanks. The owner loves it. Almost 1000cc in line twin. He paid $11,500 I think. Kind of pricey for me. I like the ergo's of it. Gauge package is pretty extensive too.

His only bitch is...cagers don't seem to see him. He's had quite a few lane invaders for some reason. I suggested daytime running lights high and low. How you can't see that bright red bike I'll never know.
    ZRXOA #9877
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

Even I miss the old flying dave

Had it been available I probably would have bought it over the Tiger back in 2012.

Born In The USA

The problem with the local lane invaders is, they may have seen the Kia, causing an traumatic involuntary retching in the optic nerve and a fear of ever looking at anything again.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Rented one for the weekend in Vermont a few weeks back. I have been thinking about buying one, as I have two XR650L's an XL600R, and a TransAlp. All types of riding... regular road, high-speed twisties, off-road, fire roads (groomed dirt), and everything in between. Over 500 miles in two days.
    I can easily say this is the best all-around bike I've EVER ridden, and I have owned over 60 bikes, and ridden hundreds.
    It is comfortable, composed, powerful, and very capable in all forms of riding.
    The only gripes I had were that it was very tall, and that there was some sort of electronic governor (in 2nd gear) that immediately cuts-off a wheelie.
    ABS and Traction control are adjustable and can be completely disabled, which was how I rode the whole time.

Side note: I was given a private invite by Yamaha to test theirs the first year it came out, and it was a very good bike, but it pales in comparison to the Honda.

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    The problem with the local lane invaders is, they may have seen the Kia, causing an traumatic involuntary retching in the optic nerve and a fear of ever looking at anything again.
    Good observation on the Kia, my thoughts exactly lol

BadAss Hooligan

Honda also make one that has a vfr1200 this year looks like a tiger on steroids! As most Zrx riders tend toward the muscular style of bike, take a look guys!

BadAss Hooligan

I'm 6'1" and felt very comfortable on the thing. Being as I love dirt bikes I knew I'd like it even before I got on it.
    ZRXOA #9877
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

BadAss Hooligan

I haven't ridden an AT, but do have a KTM 990. It is much more comfortable than the ZRX and will run right with it. And I can go many more places. Won't handle quite as well. I hardly ride the ZRX anymore.

BadAss Hooligan

Hey guys have you seen the vfr dual sport Honda has out? It looks massive like a African twin on the juice!

BadAss Hooligan

Just Googled it. What a beast.
    ZRXOA #9877
    2004 ZRX1200R-Silver

RIP 4/11/19

That is a kick-ass bike. It won LOTS of awards over here in Europe.
    And they sell like hot cakes.

HOWEVER, it is VERY hard to ignore that Kia...
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

Hogan

it seems a value do it all

BadAss Hooligan

Magazine Tests show really no off road ability and even just fire roads are pushing the limit. But that engine is tuned really well for the bike it is in from the dyno chart.
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1 risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

Licensed to Mod

This guy did a good review on it recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMILVr42zR4

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Howie View Post

Attachment 245541
    I had an 08 KTM 990 Adventure and loved the bike but missed the ZRX smooth power. V Twin bikes seem to have that low RPM chug that after a while can get old. I even geared down one on front sprocket and still did not like it. If you truly do adventure riding one would be good. I found the power was too much for the off road riding unless you work out all the time then you can man handle one like these bikes. Depends what you want out of bike is my take. Had probably 6 enduros and as many street bikes and myself like the ZRX the best. Had a Honda 919 and it was a nice bike but not as many options to make into what you want like a ZRX. Second best bike I ever had was a 79 KZ 650 blue with the mag wheels and ran like a dream and never let me down. Second fastest I ever owned was an 83 GPZ 750 Turbo and would of taken a ZRX in the 8th but not quarter mile. Love the Kawasaki bikes and Honda would probably be my second choice. KTM was good for me but they cost a lot of money.

RIP 4/11/19

Honda's Africa Twin

Quote Originally Posted by BonzRexster View Post
    Magazine Tests show really no off road ability and even just fire roads are pushing the limit. But that engine is tuned really well for the bike it is in from the dyno chart.
    Compared to what? The comparative tests I've read puts it on top of the pile for off-road ability. Yes, it's not a CRF450, but then it's 1000cc...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

Satan's Donkey

That seat looks awful hard on the taint.
    -Jake

Rape is no laughing matter.
    Unless you're raping a clown.

ZRXOA #2995

Originally posted by Ca Pete
    "A helmet may save your life, but if you are not wearing the rest of your gear, you may wish it hadn't."

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by jacohatt View Post
    Compared to what? The comparative tests I've read puts it on top of the pile for off-road ability. Yes, it's not a CRF450, but then it's 1000cc...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I messed up. I saw the VFR1200X in a post, and my mind thought of that bike, NOT the Africa Twin, despite the title being "Africa Twin". Duh...

Africa Twin is a really capable bike. My bad!
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1 risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

RIP 4/11/19

Quote Originally Posted by BonzRexster View Post
    I messed up. I saw the VFR1200X in a post, and my mind thought of that bike, NOT the Africa Twin, despite the title being "Africa Twin". Duh...

Africa Twin is a really capable bike. My bad!
    Yep now you make sense!

The VFR1200X is just a styling exercise. Although it's brilliant as a touring bike! My friend's son has one and man, is that thing smooth!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by flying dave View Post
    Had it been available I probably would have bought it over the Tiger back in 2012.
    My next bike is a Tiger 800

Quote Originally Posted by the-atc-kid View Post
    Rented one for the weekend in Vermont a few weeks back. I have been thinking about buying one, as I have two XR650L's an XL600R......
    If ya ever decide to part with one of the 650's, give me a holler!
    The ride is the reason.
    1999 ZRX 1100
    2012 Concours 1400
    1988 Honda Z50

Previously...
    72 H2750
    77 KZ400
    79 KZ650SR
    87 XL600R
    04 KTM Duke 640
    07 CBR1000RR
    08 C14

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
    My next bike is a Tiger 800
    It's been good to me so far. Only 8000 miles on it though. Wish it had a lot more. Hopefully this year will be better.

Hooligan

I love my Tiger 800. It's good at just about everything from gravel roads to touring.

Quote Originally Posted by flying dave View Post
    It's been good to me so far. Only 8000 miles on it though. Wish it had a lot more. Hopefully this year will be better.

I was on the tiger boards pretty heavy a few years ago and was on a buying frenzy for it for a bit but it hasn't received any attention in a long time. I just start it and go. I have a new set of Mitas E-07's to spoon on when I get a free moment. I wonder what new blingage has come out for it lately. Hmmmm.....

Oh yeah. I guess I need to get the ZRX running too...

And install all the bling for the 125....

And now fix the wife's street triple since her son had a slow speed wreck on it last week.

aka The Streak

Sat on one at the dealer. It felt a lot lighter than my BMW GSA. Much narrower, too. Wind protection was nowhere near as good. Needs a centerstand. Love the Euro tri-color paint scheme that's not available in the US. Looks like a great off road ADV bike with a reasonable price.

I'd love to take a ride on a DCT to see what that's about.
    02 ZRX1200R

ZRXOA #8130