+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New tires

BadAss Hooligan

Re: New tires

At 26,000 miles, if the bike has been taken care of, not stored outdoors or had water sprayed under pressure into the bearings, I seriously doubt it is the wheel bearings.
    If it's been wheelied a bunch, ok, maybe the head bearings or front wheel bearing.

Have you checked the frame rail bolts for tightness? (There are four of them). The swingarm pivot bolt? It is not uncommon at all for these to loosen and cause the problems you speak of. I once test rode a Rex I was considering buying and it felt funny during a test ride. On closer inspection I saw the nut on the swingarm pivot bolt was missing.

Hooligan

Frame bolts are there and tight. Checked swing arm bolt and gave another half turn for assurance. Set eccentrics back to normal. I thought I still felt a shimmy occasionally. Had a friend give a second opinion. He took it up around 100 and didn't feel anything. However he is my height and damn near 300 pounds. Literally almost twice my weight. So I'm willing to bet my suspension needs to be adjusted.

Question is how? I'm not too familiar with which direction to go. Someone wanna help me out?

BadAss Hooligan

Check out post #22 and #30 of yours in this thread,,,,then go hang out for a while in the suspension section of forum,,,and I promise it will/should be most enlightening. Most anything that you're going to ask help with has already been answered at least 6 times. Get a manual,, Steering:13-4 tells you everything you need to know about taking the slop out of the steering stem.My guess is that's where the problem is. It was on mine,,and several others. Even if you don't choose to repack/replace the bearing at this time,,you can at least help to isolate the problem. If it takes the wobble out,,you'll want to go for the repair.

Hooligan

For the forks: I set the rebound to 4 clicks out from fully clockwise, compression 2 clicks out from fully clockwise and preload set about 11-12 mm.

Haven't messed with the rear yet.

Took it up around 90 and didn't notice any shimmy. Although I do feel a more pronounced jump when shifting during hard acceleration.

On a side note, related to the original reason for the thread, these tires a great. They look good and feel amazing.