+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New tires

Hooligan

New tires

Just put on a set of Conti Road Attack 2 evo on my 1100. Anyone else running these? Only put on about 50 miles so far. They feel nice. No real cons to the 180 rear. Should have taken a pic, they look sweet!

Still feel a wobble at high speed occasionally. Had fork seals replaced and everything else seems to be in great shape. I might just be inducing it myself somehow. This has been driving me crazy. Any ideas?

BadAss Hooligan

Re: New tires

Balanced with weights or beads. The beads had a very negative affect on the bike stability during harder acceleration, not trying to start a debate just relaying my personal findings.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestRex View Post
    Just put on a set of Conti Road Attack 2 evo on my 1100. Anyone else running these? Only put on about 50 miles so far. They feel nice. No real cons to the 180 rear. Should have taken a pic, they look sweet!

Still feel a wobble at high speed occasionally. Had fork seals replaced and everything else seems to be in great shape. I might just be inducing it myself somehow. This has been driving me crazy. Any ideas?

Hooligan

Balanced with weights. Rear tire came out 0.00 without adding anything. Front got a half oz I think. I checked the wheel bearings and they felt good. But people have said even if they feel fine they may need replacing anyway. Idk. Next season I might just replace the wheel bearings, head bearing and swing arm bearings.

Might consider finally getting a fork brace and damper. Just wanted to cover all the bases before I go and cover up the real issue with a brace/damper. Might also consider new rear suspension but that gets pricey.

Anyone have a damper setup they want to get rid of?

BadAss Hooligan

Try loosening your grip at speed and lean forward.
    If it ain't you then there's something wrong with the bike. These bikes are stable at speed.

5,000 miles to knowhere

Might consider finally getting a fork brace and damper. Just wanted to cover all the bases before I go and cover up the real issue with a brace/damper. Might also consider new rear suspension but that gets pricey.

Anyone have a damper setup they want to get rid of?
    Don't use a brace and damper to mask the existing problem. ZRXs don't need steering dampers or braces. Be sure to fix whatever the underlying cause is before using the above. You can get a set of Bitubos for about $350. Buy for $700 or less, sell stockers for $350. GREAT improvement!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by c10 View Post
    1100's handle better .
    Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    The 1100's handle better.
    Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    In stock trim the 1100s do indeed handle better than the 1200s.

Hooligan

A steering damper really comes in handy when you land a 100plus mph wheelie and the front tire is not spinning, also when your full on the gas on the back straight(curved) at Jennings GP.
    What's really not necessary are wheel weights. I haven't needed to balance a tire in 18 years. Mount it and do a top speed run. Smooth run, good to go. Rode a few of my friends bikes that just had new tires installed and they had crazy vibration over 100. Stopped tossed the weights and try to catch up. Bike smooth.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Airacuda View Post
    What's really not necessary are wheel weights. I haven't needed to balance a tire in 18 years.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

A steering damper really comes in handy when you land a 100plus mph wheelie and the front tire is not spinning, also when your full on the gas on the back straight(curved) at Jennings GP.
    What's really not necessary are wheel weights. I haven't needed to balance a tire in 18 years. Mount it and do a top speed run. Smooth run, good to go. Rode a few of my friends bikes that just had new tires installed and they had crazy vibration over 100. Stopped tossed the weights and try to catch up. Bike smooth.
    Well, you guys have really long bridges down there.

Hooligan

So is the stock suspension just crap? I've been riding this bike for a year now and it has always felt unstable at speeds over 80mph. New fork seals and new tires and the wobble still isn't gone. Bike has never been laid down either. Where should I start next? Replace every bearing and then move to upgrading the rear suspension? Btw I'm about 5'10" 160lbs if that helps

BadAss Hooligan

Have the eccentrics been flipped? If so return them to the stock position.

Name:  Eccentrics Flipped.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  32.6 KB --- Name:  Eccentrics Standard.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  22.1 KB
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Hooligan

Yes actually. They were in the normal position the whole time I've had the bike until I put the new tires on. Thought I would go ahead and flip them. So I'll set them back to normal and see if that helps

BadAss Hooligan

Head bearings? Frame rail bolts loose? Swing arm pivot bolt nut loose?
    If your bike is unstable at 80 there is something wrong.

BadAss Hooligan
    causing trouble near Milton, Ontario, Canada

I'm with Harry. Ive had mine back and forth a couple of times. The quicker turn in Is not worth the feel at speed. IMHO
    Johnnie Phatt
    Former owner of
    Milton's fastest ZRX.

bring Dave if you must....Perko

BadAss Hooligan

So,,,You see this kind of information as (advise) for a guy that's trying to sort a high speed wobble?

Hooligan

Pictures as promised

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  2.27 MB

Views: 221
Size:  2.18 MB

Hooligan

Views: 220
Size:  2.68 MB

Views: 221
Size:  3.72 MB

Hooligan

The anxiety never ends! Now I can hear an inconsistent metal on metal high pitch noise coming front the front end. Brakes I assume. Is it normal to hear a little infrequent screatch after taking wheels off and then putting them back on? Maybe the pads readjusting

The noise is barely audible but it's definitely there
    Last edited by MidwestRex; 06-23-2016 at 08:09 PM.

BadAss Hooligan

I run flipped eccentrics, fork tubes raised 15mm. Yesterday evening on quick ride after work did a GPS "way too many legal MPH" an open road with rolling hills and the bike got light going over one hill at about the ton and was rock solid with balanced Pirelli Angel GT's.

On the metallic sound, are the pads free and retracting? You may have pushed in the pistons to get the pads open to put the wheel back on, and now they aren't retracting as they should because it got gunk on the piston/caliper wall from being pushed in past where they have been riding. When you operate them, they won't retract as far from the gunk riding up into the bores. I think that is what could happen anyway.
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1 risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40s@1.75 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

Weed Eaters Anonymous...
    In my LazyBoy or in the yard with a weed eater

Hmmm that's an '01 huh? IMO your shocks are flat. Try setting the rebound (bottoms) to 4 and comp (top) to 2-3. Again IMO, if the top knobs turn somewhat easy, I'll say the shocks are flat. The rear is swaying at higher speeds. Might find a shop with a needle to air them up to 125 give or take, but I have no faith in the bladder once you stick it. On the brakes, I'd take them apart, and rebuild them. I'll stress the grease that Kwick sells. If you do it, try to pump them out as far as you can by putting something flat across them so they come out even or at least just before popping out. Then split them apart. If they're stuck in there, better have the right tool or close to it or you'll be thinking up new 4 letter and compound words.

You don't wear a loose jacket do ya?? You'd be surprised how that can affect the handling with allot of wind.

BadAss Hooligan

Lets see I've done in excess of 140 a few times on shocks and forks that I know have never been rebuilt in 16 years and as i found out a missing frame rail bolt and the bike has been down before and I've flipped the eccentrics. Absolutely ZERO stability problems with mine at those kind of speeds. So I dunno but this bike just doesn't have the geometry that causes head shake and all those problems unless there is a problem...

With all that being said I did have a front tire once that caused a bad rythmic wobble / vibration around 85 one time but it went away after about 95. 2k miles later when the tire was changed the problem disappeared..
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

BadAss Hooligan

How many miles on your bike?

Hooligan

26k miles. I'm familiar with where the suspension settings are. But I'll need some direction as to where to click out from. So for rebound, I go all the way clockwise then 4 clicks counterclockwise? And same for the compression at the top? I checked the swing arm bolt and it was able to tighten easier than I expected. So I tightened that a bit and still feel the shimmy at higher speeds. The wobble is inconsistent. It like something has to induce it, wind or bumpy road etc.

I think I might just replace the head bearings, swing arm bearings and wheel bearings to be safe. Bike is getting old and those parts are all original as far as I know. Just had the fork seals replaced so I would have been told if my forks were bad. I'm thinking bearings or suspension setup.

BadAss Hooligan

. Just had the fork seals replaced so I would have been told if my forks were bad. I'm thinking bearings or suspension setup.[/QUOTE]

Maybe,,maybe not! Are you going to be doing this work,? or are you going to have someone else do it?

BadAss Hooligan

Have you checked to determine if your fork tubes have 'twisted' in the triple tree and misaligned?
    Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Harry View Post
    Have you checked to determine if your fork tubes have 'twisted' in the triple tree and misaligned?

Hooligan

How does one determine if they have "twisted" or misaligned

President of the ZRXOA

New tires

Stand in front of the bike, facing the headlight. Turn the front wheel until it's straight. Are the handlebars straight? If not, the forks are twisted.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Weed Eaters Anonymous...
    In my LazyBoy or in the yard with a weed eater

Stock forks, rebound, after about 2 clicks your out of it. Comp I'll say about 5 out and your done. I've had RT comp for so long I sort of forgot. Did the rebound myself......well after a few years, I sent them to Kwick to get it right. If you decide to do RT top and bottom, if you can pull the cartridge out and bundle them up very sturdy like, Kwick should do them. That way you don't have to deal with the whole forks. Ask him first, and you need to know the rest of it getting them back to gether with bushings and seals.
    Has that wobble always been there? or since the new tires? Anyhoo, after all you've said, it's either you causing it with something flopping in the wind, or I'm going back to you have flat shocks. Adjust away, but it isn't gonna be the same IMO. Just looked at RT and they have Gold Valves for the rears? I guess. Still the one issue I have is that bladder. No valve stem.

BadAss Hooligan

The anxiety never ends! Now I can hear an inconsistent metal on metal high pitch noise coming front the front end. Brakes I assume. Is it normal to hear a little infrequent screatch after taking wheels off and then putting them back on? Maybe the pads readjusting

The noise is barely audible but it's definitely there
    Might be the speedometer receiver- cost about $10.00. The squeal goes away when the misaligned tang wears down.

Hooligan

Gonna do a complete bearing overall and get back to you guys. Bike is 16 years old now. Original bearings for all I know.