+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 21 ... LastLast

Thread: R6

President of the ZRXOA

R6

I've been neglecting my R6 and decided to take it out for a quick ride in the hills this evening.

I bought it brand new 16 years ago and still love the looks as much today as I did then.

If the ZRX is a sledgehammer, then this R6 would be a scalpel!

Thinking Japanese, the ZRX is a sumo wrestler and the R6 is a samurai!

After exclusively riding the ZRX for a year, the R6 weighs nothing! The way it can change lines mid corner is in stark contrast to the ZRX which picks a line and that's it.

Being able to grab a fistful of throttle mid corner was fun too. This lets me concentrate on my line instead of worrying about stepping the rear out like on the ZRX. And the gearbox...such bliss, it just snicks into each gear silky smooth. I really wish there was a way to get the ZRX trans like that!

Unfortunately my right front caliper sprung a leak which put a damper on the last half of my ride, but I think this bike deserves Íhlins suspension and some other goodies after serving me faithfully for 16 years. Hopefully they still make em!

It's been to Sears Point, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, and Streets of Willow. Time to get it back on the track.

Last edited by AV80R; 04-20-2016 at 01:14 AM.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

Born In The USA

Re: R6

Nice looking bike!
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

RIP 4/11/19

Still a great looking bike! If someone hasn't ridden a sporty 600, he'll never understand how fantastic these things are!
    I just love the low weight and flickability of a 600! And they have PLENTY enough grunt!

I had a 2008 Hornet (with the CBR600RR motor in it) and I still miss it today!
    ███████ everything ████ ████ ██ is █ ██████ ██ fine ██████ █████ ███. ██████'█ ██ ████████. The ████ ███ █ government █████ ████ ██ knows ████ ████ best █ █████ ██.

BadAss Hooligan

Arash, great minds think alike! My first bikes were a pair of R6 crotch rockets (a red 2001 and a custom silver 99), they were loads of fun. Eventually I totaled the red one when a car pulled out in front of me, and I sold the silver one to transition to an R1. I tell everyone all the time that in the future my second bike will be an R6. The power to weight ratio is amazing!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1258
Size:  76.0 KB
Views: 1312
Size:  115.9 KB
Views: 1268
Size:  77.9 KB
Views: 1293
Size:  95.1 KB
Views: 1421
Size:  107.8 KB
    "I had an awesome photo to add but the board won't let me post it." - AV80R

2009 Hooligan of the year

Muscle car verses sports car.

The Busa Cop

R6 is simply a bad ass machine 1st class handling . Miss my 2009 Raven that served me very well .
    Also no turtle @ the drag strip either mid 10's all day with me @ 129 to 131 mph , received my road racing license with her brand new just 5 miles on the clock when taken to Texas world . Even tours well with a few changes

Last edited by c10; 04-20-2016 at 07:19 AM.

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

Two wheeled FREAK

R6

Where is the brake leak?

PM me for great prices on Íhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

BadAss Hooligan

Brothers from another Mother !

BadAss Hooligan

I like the look of the older Yamies as opposed the new.
    And each bike makes you appreciate the other.

BadAss Hooligan

"I really wish there was a way to get the ZRX trans like that!"

Though I screwed up and did not install the shift kit while I was at it, putting in the 6 speed made mine much smoother. Other than the neutral to first clunk of course.
    May the dust of your carriage wheels blind the eyes of your foes.

Father Joe

Bought a 1999 R1 brand new from the dealer in the rare (at that time, everyone wanted blue) Haga red/white/black World Superbike color scheme. Holy shite was that bike amazing straight from Mama Yama.

Sellers remorse?????????? Every f'n day.
    I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.

The People's rear loading pink Beach Bomb.

Kwackifoofoo

Hooligan

Nice bike, I had the same year and color R6 that I also bought new... loved that bike. Especially after the GYTR cams and suspension upgrades, etc ; )

BadAss Hooligan

Yup, the R6's bigger brother is a badass too... Long since sold after I left SoCal in 2009.

Views: 1372
Size:  100.4 KB
Views: 1304
Size:  190.7 KB
Views: 1278
Size:  147.4 KB
    "I had an awesome photo to add but the board won't let me post it." - AV80R

BadAss Hooligan

Now this is what I would call 'Outrigger Luggage' No way to mess up the paint job here!

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin

Super Moderator
    I is Approving Stuff

oh great... after reading all these tales about the R6... now I want one... .. the Moto-Lust never ends...

Sometimes I forget people can see me make the jerk off motion when they're talking to me...

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by tcps760 View Post
    Arash, great minds think alike! My first bikes were a pair of R6 crotch rockets (a red 2001 and a custom silver 99), they were loads of fun. Eventually I totaled the red one when a car pulled out in front of me, and I sold the silver one to transition to an R1. I tell everyone all the time that in the future my second bike will be an R6. The power to weight ratio is amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by c10 View Post
    R6 is simply a bad ass machine 1st class handling . Miss my 2009 Raven that served me very well .
    Also no turtle @ the drag strip either mid 10's all day with me @ 129 to 131 mph , received my road racing license with her brand new just 5 miles on the clock when taken to Texas world . Even tours well with a few changes
    Sonny, Bryan those are some nice R6's! I forgot how much power a little 600 could make. Sure it doesn't have the torque but once the revs get up it's no slouch!

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Muscle car verses sports car.
    This is the analogy I was looking for in my first post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve516 View Post
    Where is the brake leak?
    It's really strange, it looks like it's coming from where the line is secured to the fork. I'll post up a picture. Ultimately just need to take everything apart. I'm not losing pressure, so I'm doubting the chance that the line is chaffed and leaking. Never seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.Triker View Post
    Brothers from another Mother !
    I knew I liked this place..I've found my people

Quote Originally Posted by zarex View Post
    I like the look of the older Yamies as opposed the new.
    And each bike makes you appreciate the other.
    I like the older ones too! I remember seeing the R6 when it first came out and the styling was so cutting edge. The first gen R6/R1 were showstoppers in the looks department when they first came out. Nothing like them existed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by hr31hr View Post
    Though I screwed up and did not install the shift kit while I was at it, putting in the 6 speed made mine much smoother. Other than the neutral to first clunk of course.
    I have the shift kit in hand and the 6-speed is on the list. I'm just not ready to crack the cases yet. I'll put in the 1224 and then one winter do the crank and trans all at once. Having a break from the first gear clunk for a ride was refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by McGovZRX View Post
    Bought a 1999 R1 brand new from the dealer in the rare (at that time, everyone wanted blue) Haga red/white/black World Superbike color scheme. Holy shite was that bike amazing straight from Mama Yama.

Sellers remorse?????????? Every f'n day.
    I loved the red/white/black ones McGov. Was yours the one that had the red seat? I remember that being the only thing I would have changed to make it look like an R7.

Quote Originally Posted by RILED View Post
    Nice bike, I had the same year and color R6 that I also bought new... loved that bike. Especially after the GYTR cams and suspension upgrades, etc ; )
    I was too young & broke to buy all the cool GYTR stuff when I first got the bike in 2000. Maybe I can find some NOS goodies on eBay. Mod fever here I come...

Quote Originally Posted by tcps760 View Post
    Yup, the R6's bigger brother is a badass too... Long since sold after I left SoCal in 2009.
    Very nice!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

President of the ZRXOA

R6

Here is the brake fluid leak. Very strange.

I'm very skeptical that the leak is coming from the line behind that metal retainer with grommet, but we will see.

The Busa Cop

I think that bike of yours needs the 5 spoke model wheel The only reaso I sold mine is it was not a good two up machine , but first ride with my girl friend at the time ( now my wife ) it was a knee dragging experience . So came the FJR1300 , then her own bike = no more FJR , and onto the Hayabusa . With the Pilot Power Pure One model tire the bike got even better especially in the rain.

It no longer matters how fast I once was .

Quote Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
    Motor is in.

c10, I love Ewe

President of the ZRXOA

Since day one I always tried to keep it stock except for the slip on and powdercoating the frame black. 16 years later I'm getting the itch to turn this into the bike I wished it could be many years ago!

Some black Dymag CA5's, Ohlins forks and shock, Brembo monoblocks, GYTR cams. I bought the thing for $7500 new, I figure if I keep my mods under that number it should be a good limit?

Born In The USA

I think this was a 2007 R6s. Bought it from a client. I went to measure his house for the mods, and I see a bike under a tarp at the edge of a dirt driveway. He lives in the forest above Skyline near Alice's. I lift the tarp and see it's a Yammy with a big banana slug crawling across the tank with other critters living in it. The dirtiest bike I ever bought.
    Apparently it sat there for a year during which two plugs got coated with a conducting deposit as he said it ran good when he parked it. "Hasn't run since the baby came," he says. Changing the plugs was only after checking every way I could to see why two holes were going along for the ride. It ran great after that, good brakes, and light weight. Every time I moved it in the garage, I was amazed at how light it was.
    Knew I couldn't ride it due to my neck, but seeing the poor thing abandoned in the dirt like that.....
    Put an ad on line and sold it the first day.
    Name:  P1090857.JPG
Views: 1240
Size:  105.8 KBName:  R6 quarter.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  156.7 KBName:  R6 side.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  149.9 KB

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

R6

Wow, what a score Cadman!! It cleaned up pretty good.

Two wheeled FREAK

Best to clean up all the brake fluid (soap and water). Then spray with spray can foot powder...

Hard to trace leaks when riding because the wind will move the fluid all over the place...

just up and down the street might do the trick...

Does the lever come to the bar?

PM me for great prices on Íhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

President of the ZRXOA

R6

Quote Originally Posted by Steve516 View Post
    Best to clean up all the brake fluid (soap and water). Then spray with spray can foot powder...

Hard to trace leaks when riding because the wind will move the fluid all over the place...

just up and down the street might do the trick...

Does the lever come to the bar?
    Lever feels good. I'll clean it all up and get some powder on it.

Born In The USA

I see the top of the grommet holding the line is dry, but the lower part is wet. Could you have a leaky fork seal above that point and it is crossing to the line from the tab? I expect you checked the brake fluid level, and you said the brakes work good.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by hr31hr View Post
    "I really wish there was a way to get the ZRX trans like that!"

I had a ZZR1200 and it shifted smooth as silk compared to the Rex.

President of the ZRXOA

Quote Originally Posted by Cadman View Post
    I see the top of the grommet holding the line is dry, but the lower part is wet. Could you have a leaky fork seal above that point and it is crossing to the line from the tab? I expect you checked the brake fluid level, and you said the brakes work good.
    This is definitely a possibility...I assumed it was brake fluid but it's not like I know for sure. I don't see any trace of fluid from the seal down to the tab though.

Born In The USA

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    This is definitely a possibility...I assumed it was brake fluid but it's not like I know for sure. I don't see any trace of fluid from the seal down to the tab though.
    As you know, you can put a great deal of pressure in that hose with your manly grip. If the fluid in the master is not disappearing while the line is getting wetter, then you have to look elsewhere. If the fluid is going away, I would look above there where you may have a brake line manifold like the Rex.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

As you know, you can put a great deal of pressure in that hose with your manly grip. If the fluid in the master is not disappearing while the line is getting wetter, then you have to look elsewhere. If the fluid is going away, I would look above there where you may have a brake line manifold like the Rex.
    The master has one of those black membranes under the lid that masks the fluid loss. I think brake fluid falls into the same category as blood and oil...a very small amount can spread out and look much bigger than it is.

No manifold, I have one Goodrich steel line from each caliper going to the master. It's time to clean up the mess that's there and methodically troubleshoot this

Born In The USA

A few years ago, I rode the Fyfiddy with the LA crew when my son was riding the Rex. We were going down a tight road toward the ocean, and as I was late braking hard before a 90 degree left hander (that had a rock wall to catch you), a thought popped though the testosterone poisoned mist that had me going 100%, "How old are these brake hoses?" The answer was (probably) 30 years. It's got some fancy ones on there now.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

President of the ZRXOA

A few years ago, I rode the Fyfiddy with the LA crew when my son was riding the Rex. We were going down a tight road toward the ocean, and as I was late braking hard before a 90 degree left hander (that had a rock wall to catch you), a thought popped though the testosterone poisoned mist that had me going 100%, "How old are these brake hoses?" The answer was (probably) 30 years. It's got some fancy ones on there now.
    I get the same "hebee jebees" when I hit bad turbulence and think about the 62 year old control wires and turnbuckles in the Cessna!

The hidden brake lines in the Cessna under the rudder pedals were replaced last year after 61 years and they were hard as stone. They were not leaking, but they lost all elasticity. The minute they were bent away from the position they lived in since 1955, they crumbled to pieces. Luckily brakes are not very crucial on a plane that lands at 40 mph, but could bite you if they aren't there when you need them (especially in a taildragger).
    Last edited by AV80R; 04-20-2016 at 01:32 PM.