+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2009 Hooligan of the year

Six Hour Off Road Endurance Race

I may be biting off more than I can chew here. Bumped into some guys at the motorcycle trail last night and got word that they're planning a "special event" at the park next month. This is the park where I normally ride that is infamously brutal to both rider and bike. They're planning a six hour long endurance race. The person that gets in the most laps wins.

Each lap is 6 1/4 miles with many very challenging and energy sucking technical sections. The most number of consecutive laps I've done is five, and I thought my arms were truly going to fall off. I know of others that will put in five or six consecutive laps. But I've never heard of anyone trying to pull off more than that. A fairly easy pace lap without any "incidents" takes around 30 minutes to complete. So in six hours that would be a total of 12 consecutive laps. I honestly don't know if I can pull that off. But I'm also not sure if anyone else that might be in attendance can either. I guess that's what will make this event both challenging and interesting.

BadAss Hooligan

Re: Six Hour Off Road Endurance Race

Man that is going to be a beast of a ride 12 laps of that trail

I thought you liked that new bike why kill it this early
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    1992 RM250
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

BadAss Hooligan

Did a desert race a few years back, turned out it was all whoops, entered the long race to get my moneys worth, legs were shot after one lap but did three, could not walk for a week. Don't do it!

BadAss Hooligan

I'm not one to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do but thing about your roadrace team in making your decision. Putting your body through that hell... if a mishap would happen it's when your so tired you can't hold on or stand up anymore that could lead to falling off and breaking something that takes you out of your pavement racing plus just riding in general.

Don't mean to throughout any bad mojo here... just my 2 cents worth and an angle I would look at if it was me.

BTW if you do it all of us will be here to support you as always!

Good Luck!

Wayne

BadAss Hooligan

Just pace it slow and steady.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

BadAss Hooligan

i joined NECC a few years ago figuring I'd race my Rincon in the old farts utility class division . I got there and found out all the utility class quads race as one , no separate classes for age or size of machine or anything . So here I was 46 yrs old & 240lbs on a basically stock Rincon . These factory riders , 22 & 23 & 24 yr old kids on totally tricked out Can-Am's w/ $5K worth of Elka suspension etc. , machines costing over $30K show up . Of course when the flag dropped they were gone , but I just got in my grove & stayed steady , 1st race 6th out of 27 . Second race these kids crashed each other out & broke & I got on podium , 3rd . After I got a trophy I said that's enough . My quad needed 3 new rims & 1 tire & a new sub frame & plastic bumpers on the front . Just wasn't worth it to beat the crap out of my quad & me when I'm just scraping by . These kids were sponsored , beat there stuff hard & didn't have to pay for any repairs , plus they bounced back over night physically .

I think U should go for it , otherwise you'll think about it forever . Get in your grove , race your race & stay steady . You never know what's gonna happen . Arm pump was severe for me , easily the hardest thing to over come . I was racing through the woods @ 50mph w/ one hand on the bars hanging on while the other hand was dangling trying to relieve arm pump , man it was bad . But shit happens & people crash & break . It's good to be on the podium ! Good luck !!!

Husqvarna Hooligan

it will be fun, just be sure to preserve to preserve yourself. ride your own pace and ignore the results, its all about having fun!
    99 zrx 1100 #9168 full ss muzzy/factory pro+ape pods/kwick throttle/advancer/no-flo/pod tray/kwick kill/teds fender eliminator/sargent seat/jim's shifter mod/pilot 4s
    95 husqvarna 360wxc dynoport pipe,lectron carb, WER suspension
    88 husqvarna 250xc
    87 husqvarna 430xc dynoport pipe
    86 husqvarna 400wr
    84 husqvarna 250wr
    83 husqvarna 500xc

BadAss Hooligan

I agree, let the whippersnappers run off. Get in shape for this. Avoid arm and leg pump, you'll be passing them later on.

I also need to figure out how many laps I can put in on a single tank of gas to determine if and/or when a fuel stop will be needed.

Just got home from a "test session." Did 4 laps non-stop at what felt to be a comfortable pace. The trail also being slippery in spots also helped ensure I was maintaining a slower, more energy conserving pace. Completing 12 laps is going to be TOUGH though, no doubt about that!

I was quite surprised though at the consistency of my lap times. Taking out the +\-30 seconds I lost on the last lap due to a minor tip over and slight off trail excursion, all the laps were within about 10 seconds of each other.

25:13
    25:04
    24:57
    25:43

It also looks like I used about 1/3 a tank of gas, but that includes the 16 mile round trip ride to the park from the house. So I might not have to refuel during this event, which would be good. But I'll need to investigate that further.

12 laps equals 87 miles. With a fuel capacity of 2.25 gallons that means I'll need to get 39 mpg. I'll need to check mileage on this tank and see how this bike performs in that regard.

I also now know what I need to focus on more during our morning workouts.

Good session.
    Last edited by zrx24; 04-14-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Couple of other things I determined I need for this event.

New pegs that offer better traction.

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  15.0 KB

And palm savers.

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  5.8 KB

BadAss Hooligan

Knee and wrist supports?

BadAss Hooligan

I have done a few woods races locally it's a great was to test your endurance and skill. I find fresh really snug gloves help reduces blisters but nothing I've tried eliminates them!

I like my grippy pegs they took a few rides to adjust to them but the do dig into my boots a lot more.

A 6 hour event is longer than I've done! Best of luck. I'd recommend a serious daily regimen of core exercises. A strong core is gonna keep you standing on the pegs a lot longer than tired core.

Got a few more laps in this morning and determined that I can do 6, maybe 7 laps per tank. So looks like we'll be doing fuel stop mid way.

30 mpg is what I got this tank, comprised of 6 1/4 laps and 28 highway miles.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Got a few more laps in this morning and determined that I can do 6, maybe 7 laps per tank. So looks like we'll be doing fuel stop mid way.

30 mpg is what I got this tank, comprised of 6 1/4 laps and 28 highway miles.
    IMS and probably others make a larger tank. I think 3.1 gals for the 350. Used ones pop up on craigslist semi-regularly around here. Of course it wont be an advantage if you cant squeeze your full 12 laps out of it
    Red 02 ZRX
    1000 Ninja (Black Beauty)
    KTM 250 XC-W (Katie)
    CRF250X
    XR80
    JR50

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by shay k View Post
    IMS and probably others make a larger tank. I think 3.1 gals for the 350. Used ones pop up on craigslist semi-regularly around here. Of course it wont be an advantage if you cant squeeze your full 12 laps out of it
    Acerbis will be the best fit IMO and from my experience.

Oldcow

Husqvarna Hooligan

the peg upgrade will help with your endurance and let your legs relax a bit. i take it you have a good "camelbak" type setup, since you are already in a pretty hot region?
    99 zrx 1100 #9168 full ss muzzy/factory pro+ape pods/kwick throttle/advancer/no-flo/pod tray/kwick kill/teds fender eliminator/sargent seat/jim's shifter mod/pilot 4s
    95 husqvarna 360wxc dynoport pipe,lectron carb, WER suspension
    88 husqvarna 250xc
    87 husqvarna 430xc dynoport pipe
    86 husqvarna 400wr
    84 husqvarna 250wr
    83 husqvarna 500xc

OMG!

Got a practice session in this afternoon with several of the guys that will be participating in this event. Those guys are beasts! Their "warm up lap" was blistering fast. And these guys never friggin' stopped. It was like riding with the Energizer Bunny! After an hour and half I could barely maintain control of the bars. My arms were shot.

I'm laying here right now trying to keep my toes and calves from cramping up.

BadAss Hooligan

Man that sounds crazy I know you know that place well and can ride at
    A great pace so for these guys to be wearing you out in your own briar patch

what day is this I will try to come up for moral support
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    1992 RM250
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by budzrex View Post
    Man that sounds crazy I know you know that place well and can ride at
    A great pace so for these guys to be wearing you out in your own briar patch

what day is this I will try to come up for moral support
    I've been slacking the past two weeks on my off road riding (mainly due to wet conditions) and morning workouts (no excuse here). Definitely showed yesterday.

It's next Saturday, weekend of the Eureka Springs rally. Heading to Arkansas instead is suddenly sounding a whole lot better.

BadAss Hooligan

I still need to see what work schedule is like, I have to be in Oklahoma, Dallas and Odessa next week. Problem is Odessa is Thursday and not sure I want to drive home thursday evening and then head out Friday AM for ES
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    1992 RM250
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

I still need to see what work schedule is like, I have to be in Oklahoma, Dallas and Odessa next week. Problem is Odessa is Thursday and not sure I want to drive home thursday evening and then head out Friday AM for ES
    Sounds like you just need to load up the dirt bike and come see how many laps you're capable of on Saturday then.

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
    Sounds like you just need to load up the dirt bike and come see how many laps you're capable of on Saturday then.

May be a good way to break in the new to me KTM I picked up two weeks ago that I have not ridden yet or finish off the life of that old RM
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    1992 RM250
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

May be a good way to break in the new to me KTM I picked up two weeks ago that I have not ridden yet or finish off the life of that old RM
    City Park is good at "breaking in" a lot of things.

Hooligan

I raced in the Enduro cross event here in Indiana at the Pepsi Coliseum a couple years ago......man that was the hardest thing I have ever done on a dirt bike! Frist few corners you have are pump so bad your fingers wont move to pull in the clutch!!!!
    I love doing GNCC Race now, I have a woods rocket CR500 in a 2014 CRF AL frame.....(513cc) now!!!
    What bike will you be using in this race???
    GET DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS ZLRX1100 6spd connie trans, shaft drive!!!

2013 KTM 350 XCF-W

Hooligan

Nice got the magic button!!
    GET DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS ZLRX1100 6spd connie trans, shaft drive!!!

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by ZLRX1100 View Post
    I love doing GNCC Race now, I have a woods rocket CR500 in a 2014 CRF AL frame.....(513cc) now!!!
    What bike will you be using in this race???
    Now that sounds like a sweet ride, i had both a 480 and 500CR years back monster bikes, so is that an Eric Gorr big bore to go 513?

I just picked up an 08 KTM 250XC-f have not had a chance to get it out of the garage yet but do enjoy walking by and hitting the magic button
    2000 ZRX 1100
    2005 FJR 1300
    2008 KTM 250XC-F
    1992 RM250
    2010 Dodge RT Challenger
    2005 Ram Quad Cab
    1996 Chevy Pickup

My wife is so cool. Not only does she want to attend this "event," she's already strategizing "pit stops."

Man, I am most definitely biting off more than I can chew here. Went out to get a few laps in after work yesterday before the rains came, and was wasted by just the second lap. However, that most likely was due to me putting in a blistering first lap to see what kind of lap time I could throw down. I most definitely need to make a huge effort to maintain a slow and steady pace, and not get caught up trying to chase people down. That alone is going to be a huge hurdle to overcome.

I survived!

Much bigger event than I had anticipated. In addition to the number of competitors, there were a surprising number of people that came out to watch and provide support. Had about 15 riders actually participating in the competition, and many others just joy riding rather than actually trying to kill themselves.

It was quite a show. Canopies set up everywhere. T-shirts had been made up by one of the sponsors that got involved. Even had official scorers that had everyone register with a number that was displayed on the helmets so they could mark times as each lap was completed. My wife ended up helping with the scoring and had a great time.

At 9am everyone took off at the same time. I made sure to take off first so I wouldn't have to eat dust the whole time. As usual, I wasn't able to slow my pace and ended up setting the fastest lap of the event. The whole time I'm telling myself, "It's a friggin' six hour event. Slow the hell down!" By the 2nd and 3rd lap I managed to get myself to back off a bit, but still was having thoughts of being the rabbit only to be beat by the turtle in the end. I was feeling good though, and planned to take a water and nutrition break every three laps. That plan seemed to be working out pretty well.

My wife informed me later that myself and about 3 others had a sizeable gap on the rest of the field by the 3rd lap. She said even with my five minute long break after the 3rd lap, I was still able to hold the lead. My second break (after 6 laps) was 10 minutes long, which included refueling and allowed two others to take over the lead. But she said they were less than 2 minutes ahead, so plenty of time to reel them in since it was not even noon at this point.

I headed back out and was feeling pretty good my 3rd session. By my 9th lap I was definitely ready to come in for another break, and was getting my head around completing a 10th, 11th and maybe even a 12th lap. But at that point I was physically feeling that 10 or 11 laps might be my limit. I was half way through my 9th lap when the skies opened up. Within a short period of time all the rock ledges and climbs were slippery as ice and near impossible to get up. Tip overs were almost unavoidable, and exhausting. I had a 3rd of a lap left to get back to the pits and I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to make it, not being able to get up some of the rock ledge climbs. At one point I teamed up with a competitor to get our bikes to the top so we could continue. I eventually made it back to the pits and called it a day. There was no way I was going to attempt another lap given the treacherous conditions. Not to mention that I was completely exhausted after everything I went through the last 3rd of that 9th lap.

I had been put a lap down by that point, with 3 others having been on their 10th lap when the rains came. Two of those guys decided to at least start another lap to see if maybe they could secure 11 laps for the day, which somehow they did. One maniac actually managed to complete 2 laps in the slippery condition and finished the day with 12 laps! How they managed to pull that off is beyond me. Best I can figure, they must have been running soft compound tires set at fairly low pressure to get up those slippery ledges. I was running the hardest compound tire available at seriously high pressure, which was absolutely the worst combination for running in the wet at this park.

So, I am completely happy with the 9 laps I managed to put in. No broken bones, and no broken bike. At this place, that's always a good day.

Name:  IMG_4407_r.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4408_r.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  71.2 KB