+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Licensed to Mod

How do you keep your chain lubed and clean is it possible?

Just got a beautiful chain its gold but my mechanic is old school the best around but old school he says to slather gear oil problem is my bike is mint condition so i flings gritty grease all over it kills me lol not really but its annoying any luck with lubes that dont fling but does a good job at keeping the chain lubed?

BadAss Hooligan

Re: How do you keep your chain lubed and clean is it possible?

This. It was in a thread on here and comes highly recommended. I have been cleaning and re-applying every 1000 miles with very little "fling". The only fly off I have noticed is a little on the swing arm which tells me I have enough on!!!
    Attached Images  

Hooligan

I'm a fan on Maxima Chain Wax. Seems to stick to the chain pretty well as long as you don't overdue the application and allow it to dry/setup.

BadAss Hooligan

What they said for lube. Most of the newer lubes work very well with minimal fling.

For cleaning I have a gallon can of kerosene and some shop tags. Wet a rag down and rotate the rear tire while using the wet rag to wipe and clean the chain. Take a dry rag and get off the excess, then repeat. Wet it with kerosene and use an old toothbrush to loosen stuff up if needed, wipe some more, etc.

I clean every 3rd or 4th lube application, with lube intervals being 300-500 miles depending on the riding conditions (wet, dusty, etc).
    01 GREEN, ZX9 gauges,Sonic 1.1 springs,DMR shocks,Holeshot Touring bars,MCL 1” risers,Buell pegs,Couch fork brace and rear brake torque link,JE 12.5:1 stock bore,ZZR cams,double springs,CVK40's,BEAR RACING CVK40 velocity stacks,dual foam uni-pods,Keihin 150 mains,#40’s@2.0 turns,FH 15mm, FP K87 TI needles, 3.0 clip position,plastic slides,FP ZX11 springs,Muzzy 4-2-1/Ti oval can,stock ZRX ECU/+2 Ted's rotor, NGK CR10EIX plugs,ZX14 stick coils,Ted's pod tray,4-pot calipers.

Hooligan

I bought one of those tools that brushes three sides of the chain. I spray WD-40 on the bristles and spin the back wheel (on a race stand) until the chain looks clean and shiny. I wipe off the WD-40 and let the bike sit a while so all that stuff evaporates. Then I spray that Motorex Road Strong chain lube (Kwick suggested it) on a toothbrush and brush it on the chain in sections, on the top of the bottom run of the chain. Brush all the way around, let the bike sit overnight or as long as you can so the lube can set up, and you will have VERY little throw-off.

Born In The USA

90w makes a big mess, but is what Kaw recommends some bikes, including my new one. Screw that. Bel Ray Superclean after cleaning.
    You'll never know how fast you can go, until you go too fast.

I have discovered that half of being a good rebel is knowing what to rebel against.

2014 Ninja 1000

2005 ZX10

1981 GPz550

Lance
    COTTONWOOD ARIZONA ! JUST DOWN THE HILL FROM 158 corners in 12 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by AZSpeed View Post
    I'm a fan on Maxima Chain Wax. Seems to stick to the chain pretty well as long as you don't overdue the application and allow it to dry/setup.
    BINGO.... clean/adjust/lube before bed and let it set up.. it is wax... nothing on my white wheels other than dirt/brake dust...
    Founding Father and educator Noah Webster (1758-1843) had this to say: "The moral principles and precepts contained in the scriptures ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws. All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible."

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by AZSpeed View Post
    Thats what I've been using as well. My chain stays pretty clean. Going to try their Crystal Clear chain lube after that runs out

current bike: 2000 ZRX1100

Two wheeled FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by Cundalini View Post
    Thats what I've been using as well. My chain stays pretty clean. Going to try their Crystal Clear chain lube after that runs out
    Maxima Gold Chain Wax - Street use, more tacky. Highly recommended.

Maxima Silver Chain Wax - designed for Off road use, less tacky, more messy... I don't recommend for street use, even thought they might. Synthetic, new Crystal clear marketing etc.

PM me for great prices on Öhlins shocks and forks!
    ZRX-1200 - 2001 #2 - 45,500 miles and counting
    Highly opinionated and somewhat twisted, or so I've been told.

http://www.orientexpress.com + http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com - places where I used to work...

President of the ZRXOA

How do you keep your chain lubed and clean is it possible?

The chain that was on this engine lasted 19k miles and was religiously cleaned and covered in chain wax by my buddy. Terrible mess, and literally had 1/4" rocks embedded into the goo around the countershaft sprocket area. There is no reason for this IMO.

And here is a DID gold chain that has 22k miles, no kinks, and still going strong. No chain wax (goo) ever used.

This one has 4K miles. No chain wax will ever touch this either.

Every 1000 miles, I take a microfiber towel with some ACF-50 on it and wipe the chain and sprockets until they're clean. Then I take another dry microfiber towel and wipe the chain and sprockets until all the ACF-50 is removed.

Zero fling. Total corrosion protection. No mess, and my chains last longer than my friends that spray all that wax crap on theirs.

Even if we go ahead and concede that my chains would have lasted longer after being covered in wax which attracts dirt and small rocks I'm getting 20k out of my chains and I'm more than happy to buy new ones at that point, especially without my bike being subjected to a waxy flytrap that collects dirt and rocks in every nook and cranny.

Last edited by AV80R; 03-27-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

skidmore

Quote Originally Posted by AV80R View Post
    Every 1000 miles, I take a microfiber towel with some ACF-50 on it and wipe the chain and sprockets until they're clean. Then I take another dry microfiber towel and wipe the chain and sprockets until all the ACF-50 is removed.

Zero fling. Total corrosion protection. No mess, and my chains last longer than my friends that spray all that wax crap on theirs.

Even if we go ahead and concede that my chains would have lasted longer after being covered in wax which attracts dirt and small rocks I'm getting 20k out of my chains and I'm more than happy to buy new ones at that point, especially without my bike being subjected to a waxy flytrap that collects dirt and rocks in every nook and cranny.

I've owned shaft bikes for the past 20 years. Chain maintenance is something I hate to think about as I approach the day of ZRX ownership. ACF-50 gives me hope! Your chain and sprockets epitomize the term "clean enough to eat off of"

Hooligan

Clean with kerosene and the wife's toothbrush, then a spray with WD40.

Lube with Motul Chain Lube (Road), won't fling off and you don't need much.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Mouthy Mofo

12,000+ miles on my last chain, and still no kinks or worn spots. Sprockets look pristine.

Run it till the chain is warm, wipe down with WD 40 every 1000 km and spray Maxim Chain wax onto the warm chain. Let it set overnight.

No fling, no grunge and the chain/sprockets look like new.
    Silver REXs are sooo subtle - they slide right under the enemy's radar, then WHAM - they're dead!

03 REX - Akra, K&N pods, Ivan's jets, Teds Advancer, airbox out and chainguard, Chrispy's mirrors, Biscuits rearsets, Greg's brace, Armz shift linkage, Wog's seat, 'n some other stuff

84 KZ1100R - Yosh, K&N, fork brace
    82 GPz 550 - Hindle

ZRXOA #5764

Licensed to Mod

Thanks guys alot to think about

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

Following your advice, I'm using ACF-50 on the chain on my Versys but usually clean things up with kerosene first and then apply ACF-50 and wipe it off. The change in the amount of stuff flung off is amazing. And no build up of that disgusting stuff around the front sprocket, either. Bike is at 14K miles and the chain looks good!

I will also use it on my ZRX when it's back on the road. It's off the road for routine maintenance but the GPz550 project is up on the work stand and i hate leaning over the ZRX to adjust valves.

The good news is I seem to finally have the GPz550 cams installed correctly! Just going to button it up and see if the SOB runs.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

BadAss Hooligan
    Yup requires a light touch
    2000 ZRX1100 - Mad Max black 1109 with full kerker exhaust with custom baffle, pod filters, ZX Cams, ZX11 ECU +2 advancer, and 6spd trans and CVK40's with a prototype jet kit. Ridden daily and rarely clean.
    1997 KDX 200 - Tons of blingy parts on a crap bike. Imagine a Roadkill dirtbike...

2006 XC90 V8 AWD - A bit of this, a bit of that and a whole ton of dog hair.
    1982 Porsche 928 - A serious PITA, but I can't get rid of it till it's working.

I came to ride

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold4x4 View Post
    Yup requires a light touch
    It doesn't take much for that rag to get caught and potentially jerk your fingers through the sprocket. I can hold a rag around mine and wipe it while rotating the wheel with my other hand in about 30 seconds.
    '99 ZRX1100, Akropovic, jet kit
    '13 FJR1300, Givi touring stuff

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    It doesn't take much for that rag to get caught and potentially jerk your fingers through the sprocket. I can hold a rag around mine and wipe it while rotating the wheel with my other hand in about 30 seconds.
    Cycle Gear sells (I'm others do) a very cool 3 sided brush that does an outstanding job cleaning a chain which someone suggested but tell where it could be purchased.
    All the products mentioned work well to clean as well as the products to lube.

The 3 biggies on the topic IMO
    Clean and lube your chain regularly
    Keep the chain in proper adjustment (This is also very important to the life of a chain)
    Lube the chain (As MitchZRX stated) on top of the bottom run! Meaning so as the wheel rotates the centrifugal force works the lube through the chain... I'm sure most of us know this but just in case someone doesn't.

Warning:
    I've seen this go ugly many times... gloves, shirts, hair & fingers get caught up while lubing a chain
    I'd would think twice about do any chain work while the rear wheel is being powered by the engine.
    I know some do it I've done it myself but realize your experience and be smart about the task your performing. It's usually not the first or second time you're do something dangerous that gets you it's the fourth or fifth time when you let your guard down and think I've done this before... No Problem.

Be Wise and Safe!
    Wayne

President of the ZRXOA

Hmm, lose a finger or buy a new chain & sprockets? Hard decision...
    Arash (pronounced "our-ash")

CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

2005 Green RessuREXtion - Amateur 1224 & Six Speed Installation - Oct 2015 BOTM - Yamaha R6 - Aprilia RS250s

BadAss Hooligan

I'm left handed... if I lost a finger or two on my left hand be hard to operate a clutch lever I think I'll clean and lube my chain by rolling the rear wheel by hand...

I'm going to try your product ACF-50... any suggestion where to purchase?? I'm sure it's available online.

Thanks!
    Wayne

c10's best friend

Reading comprehension 101

I lube it at idle, as stated.

I wipe it down by rotating the rear wheel by hand.

Iron Butt Association #18591

.._...|..\_____________________|_
    ....../ `---___________---- _____|]
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;;__ __________.:/
    .....), ---.(_(__) /
    ....// // \ )
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___//

BadAss Hooligan

There is a video on YouTube that shows a kid chopping his fingers lubing his chain with the motor running. Those pics may be from it.
    I watched it once. That was enough.
    "Enjoy your body, use it in every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or care what other people think of it... It is the greatest instrument you will ever own". Baz Luhrmann

Hooligan

Ok I know I'm gonna catch heck here but I use WD40 exclusively. I don't know how many miles were on the last chain I had from the previous owner but I put 17000 on it before I put new chain and sprockets on. When I checked the old chain had zero measured stretch or tight spots. New chain I used is EK ZVXG530. I clean and lube my chain pretty religiously. When I travel on the bike it gets lubed every night before she gets put away. Works for me. I get the industrial size cans of WD40 at work for free. I'm a cheap bastage!

BadAss Hooligan

I usually put my bike on my kens stand. get a shop rag soaked with parts cleaner and have a toilet brush handy also with parts cleaner on it, put bike in 1st gear and let it run on stand using brush and rag to clean off road grime. then dry off with clean rag. oil it up, again while running in gear and done. takes about 10 min. always have some spray on swing arm after first ride. I spray some brake clean on shop rag wipe it off and good for another 1000 mi.. once or twice a year i remove the master link clean and regrease with some good white grease. used synthetic on the master a few times but it always seemed to bind after a short time never had the problem with the white. my buddies who ride Buells and hardlys always bust me about having to clean the chain. but usually stop after I Smoke them

Thinking, So You Don't Have To
    The Inland Empire (not as ominous as it sounds)

I have never tried it with the engine running. I just spin the rear tire by hand and use whatever I'm using, paper towel or rag, to wipe off the goo after I've used kerosene and a brush to loosen the crap. My chains don't generally get that dirty. I've generally used PJ-1 Blue Label chain lube but may give that ACF-50 stuff a try. Your bike is certainly sparkling.

I clean and adjust four bikes' chains. Was looking for a shaftie when I bought the FJ09s but didn't like the bulk that seems to come with a shaft drive.
    “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” Patrick Henry, American patriot.

"Red is faster of course" 8/5/19 Ca Pete acknowledges the obvious.

BadAss Hooligan

All you guys who lube your chain are

The Court's in session!

Use special formulation "no lube".

"no lube" will not sling ever !

You can not lube the inside of an o-ring chain.

"Any lube" will attract grit and will sling.

I got 27,000 miles from a chain using specially
    formulated "no lube", and the cost is very reasonable.
    It's free.

TMZ of the ZRXOA
    Depends on who wants to know.........and why.

Is this about as cheap as it can be purchased?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACF-50-Moto...gAAOSw99FdAnHz
    Speed kills..........but only the dumb and the inexperienced!

ZRXOA Exalted Supreme Benevolent Grand Master Member #4875

(Same as a friggin Pope) or (Gawd as it gets)

BadAss Hooligan

l

had a buddy loose digits.....in the 80's......he was new to bikes...

BadAss Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
    l

had a buddy loose digits.....in the 80's......he was new to bikes...
    I wouldn't if I were you!!!

Big Harry

"As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps to clear the turds from your path!"
    George Carlin